Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,496 members, 7,812,534 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? (39324 Views)

Happie Boys To Be Deported From Cyprus Within 30 Days - Leaked Chat / Nigerian Lady Denied Canadian Residency, To Be Deported For Having Baby (pics) / Nigerian Man Begs To Be Deported After 5 Years In Italy/Germany (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by ednut1(m): 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2023
Spanishmilf:
want to ask if u have a usa green card
And let symay you want to go to vacation to Eu countries will getting visas be easy or it will still he difficult and you can apply in the states or you will need to come back home to apply
with greencard there are many countries you can go without visa. For Europe the visa is easy to get because they know you will come back. Will you leave your greencard and go become illegal or overstay in Europe
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by xandy84: 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
You're right but being a citizen is not all roses. I have lived 10 years in US and I can tell you that sometimes, you're better off in Lagos than New York or LA if your life is meaningless, purposeless in US when you can start afresh and make something out of it back home. Going to jail is no fun and after you served your time, opportunities become rear at least 7 years after end of your sentence and that is the reason most criminals goes back to the life of crime.
I wrote one my my masters degree paper on compariing rate of recidivism in America and Norway. The rate of recidivism in Norway is 20 per cent while America is 60 percent and as a foreigner who has no family support, your chances of survival is even slimmer. Think about it, who get to house you, feed you, cloth you when you out of prison knowing you ain't going to get a job anytime soon. Everybody will run from you, even your brother phone number will be disconnected ASAP.

IjeBos:

True, but all things being equal, better to be a US citizen than not when dealing with the exact same situation. Like in this situation, with a US citizenship, the guy would at least be able to stay in the US with his children. And though he would be a felon, if he really wanted to he could find opportunities. But, because he's not a citizen he'll most likely be deported.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by PoliticalChinex(m): 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
Insatnt deportation after serving prison terms

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Risingsunn: 3:53pm On Aug 30, 2023
RaptorX:
So akata babe is the one determining US immigration and criminal laws funny you.
stop trying to do oversabi here and understand. I wont argue with you bro
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by OperationalVehi: 4:24pm On Aug 30, 2023
grandstar:

My inlaw was deported in 1997 for credit card fraud after serving 3yr out of a 6year sentence.

He has never been able to go back.

Life happens. He doesn't need to go back
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2023
LyfeJennings:

Not everyone
Olamide had a guy back then, his name is Ricky
He's a Nigerian, not an American citizen
he was convicted for fraud, he did his time and he's out as of today, still living on the American soil
A couple of people i dont want to mention names
Even the famous Hush wont be deported after his sentence
If na Gun related or drug crime now,
SURE, HE DEY COME HOUSE but chances of him being deported is not so much

I don’t know the others you’re talking about but Hushpuppi and the guy in this story will be deported after serving sentences.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by BreconHills(m): 4:32pm On Aug 30, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

I don’t know the others you’re talking about but Hushpuppi and the guy in this story will be deported after serving sentences.

For sure. Deportation is sure.
How does a non US citizen obtain citizenship by doing time in a US jail? Some of these commentators are confidently ignorant.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
Risingsunn:
He won't be deported. If the woman files for him

She can file for him and he will still be deported.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:35pm On Aug 30, 2023
BreconHills:

For sure. Deportation is sure.
How does a non US citizen obtain citizenship by doing time in a US jail? Some of these commentators are confidently ignorant.

Good thinking and it’s impossible to obtain citizenship by serving time. Even those who had green cards would require green card renewal which is not happening with an aggravated felony on a criminal record.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by IjeBos(m): 4:44pm On Aug 30, 2023
xandy84:
You're right but being a citizen is not all roses. I have lived 10 years in US and I can tell you that sometimes, you're better off in Lagos than New York or LA if your life is meaningless, purposeless in US when you can start afresh and make something out of it back home. Going to jail is no fun and after you served your time, opportunities become rear at least 7 years after end of your sentence and that is the reason most criminals goes back to the life of crime.
I wrote one my my masters degree paper on compariing rate of recidivism in America and Norway. The rate of recidivism in Norway is 20 per cent while America is 60 percent and as a foreigner who has no family support, your chances of survival is even slimmer. Think about it, who get to house you, feed you, cloth you when you out of prison knowing you ain't going to get a job anytime soon. Everybody will run from you, even your brother phone number will be disconnected ASAP.

You're not wrong. I almost moved to the Lagos pre pandemic. So, yeah at a certain level value of life in Lagos can be better.
And you're not wrong about post conviction. But with a US passport you can leave, build again and come back.

Interesting research. Did you find race/racism had an impact on recidivism?
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:45pm On Aug 30, 2023
Risingsunn:
file a case as against his deportation giving reasons why he should be allowed to stay in America. His child need fatherly support.

Ordinarily, he would be deported but because he has a child that is a citizen and also with a citizen mum, he is good to go. Just be in the good books of the akata babe. If the akata babe dey against am, he will be deported straight up

A random woman can’t circumvent the law. The fatherly support you’re talking about can’t come from an unemployed illegal ex convict who is married to another woman.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by starlingbawa(m): 4:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
He most certainly will be deported...

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
juliuscaesar:
He most definitely will be deported. One of the oath you take when you are approved for a green card is that you will stay out of felonious crimes such as robbery, rape, murder, fraud, impersonation, illegal possession of firearm, drugs, etc.

If you commit any of these offenses, the first thing the court does once you are charged is to notify Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) of your crime and they also notify your home embassy, in this case the Nigerian embassy closest to the court jurisdiction.

Once the offender is sentenced, ICE keeps a track of ylthe court case. Immediately the sentence is served, ICE will proceed to arrest the individual and put them up for deportation proceedings in from of an Immigration judge. Once the deportation is approved, the person will be on the next flight to Naija.

Nigerians dint listen. Money is not running away. Get your blue passport first. Once you have it, at least you are sure that if anything happens, you will not be deported. Any document other than a blue passport, will most likely lead to deportation.

This guy outlined the exact way it happens, from start to finish.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Obyino: 5:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
He will surly be president one day
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by LyfeJennings(m): 5:51pm On Aug 30, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Omo U fine o
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by xandy84: 6:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
Interesting question. Racism is secondary. Financial gain is the major cause of high rate of recidivism. Most prisons in own by private cooperations who charges government to house inmate and the more inmate, the more profitable. There is a cooperation that built prison in Virginia and they have a clause on their contract with state the State of Virginia must pay if it can't provide inmate to their jail. If a state will pay for an empty jail, they don't have incentives to keep people out of jail. There was a case of a dude that died in jail for stealing $5 gum in 7/11 years ago.
Cooperations donate billions for elections, politicians vote on legislations that favor cooperations thru their lobbying agencies.
Federal prison system is even worse. The cheapest way to get a gender reassigned surgery is to buy a ticket to Jamaica, pick a gram of cocaine on your way back, get arrested and plead guilty to a six month prison and sue the government to provide money for your surgery. Why? Cos cooperations pressure policians to pass legislations that enforce free medical procedures to inmates while millions of hard working Americans goes without health insurance.
Bop spend almost $2 million to house a particular lady for 20 years due to major illness she has and when she was interviewed at the end of her sentence, she said she will be back withing 48 hours cos she will die before a month outside due to her medical conditions. Only very few hospitals will do major procedure on you without insurance. They will put a bandage and give you aspirin and down the road while inmate gets a gender reassigned surgery from male to female, 2 years later, he found Jesus and wish to go back to his primary gender... The system is rotten

IjeBos:

You're not wrong. I almost moved to the Lagos pre pandemic. So, yeah at a certain level value of life in Lagos can be better.
And you're not wrong about post conviction. But with a US passport you can leave, build again and come back.

Interesting research. Did you find race/racism had an impact on recidivism?
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Burob: 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:
My primary school mate just got convicted in the USA for 36 months.

It had to do with money laundering, aza man issues about 200k USD.

He has a green card but not a citizen.

He has been in the USA since 2017.

He has 2 kids he gave birth to there with naija wife.

He impregnated an akata, akata oyibo woman gave birth while he was in prison because he was already in detention till the court conviction last week.

WILL HE BE DEPORTED after serving his jail terms?

No.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by mpire: 8:05pm On Aug 30, 2023
LyfeJennings:

Not everyone
Olamide had a guy back then, his name is Ricky
He's a Nigerian, not an American citizen
he was convicted for fraud, he did his time and he's out as of today, still living on the American soil
A couple of people i dont want to mention names
Even the famous Hush wont be deported after his sentence
If na Gun related or drug crime now,
SURE, HE DEY COME HOUSE but chances of him being deported is not so much

This is an ignorant statement. The clown hush won't be deported? You are highly delusional, you must be one of his fans, the idiot is not even an American resident talk-less a citizen, so what exactly would be his status the day he completes his sentence that would allow him to stay 24hrs here? Some of you just say stuupid stuff for the sake of talking.

Do you know if the prosecutor made a deal not to deport him after his sentence is over? That is up to ICE, he only has a green card even if he's naturalized he can still be sent back and citizenship revoked. Every thief deserves to be deported, hopefully he gets deported; so start making arrangement for his welcome party. At least he would get a chance to bulk up in jail and keep fit, may be he would be useful to snatch a ballot boxes during your next election. A muscle is a terrible thing to waste.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Papagoodness: 8:10pm On Aug 30, 2023
May we not know road to jail
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Chibuzoripob: 8:30pm On Aug 30, 2023
grin grin dnt mind the mumu disturbingmoir peace from his father bamboo 🏠 grin..
tshtsh:

My response was based on the post. If you you don’t want comments why did you post it . Nevertheless based on your story I know enough to not hold brief for an immigration fraud (married an akata to secure a green card ) or for a convicted criminal .

You are attacking people yet from your post it’s obvious you don’t even know that akata refers to a black American/African American woman not a white woman.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Chibuzoripob: 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2023
grin grin cheesy grin dnt mind the foolish thing.See how the nut dey attacked & insulted us here.Person wey dem born yesterday(indomie generation) dey fight as if US nah him father property grin cheesy
YesDaddyTill203:

Dumbest imb@cile. So why did Trump setup a department to track down people who have been convicted of crimes, did time but where never deported? He setup a department to track them down and have them deported when he was in office. Even some cities are refusing to turn over their criminals for deportation as required by federal law.
https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/551641-states-sue-over-bidens-limits-on-criminals-to-be-deported/

Asinine fools like that just got a visa yesterday or won a visa lottery just some years ago now feel like they know everything.
The first time I flew to the US, I can bet that your father have not even met your mother yet not to talk of you being born.
STFU and get lost.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by AngelicBeing: 11:24pm On Aug 30, 2023
angry
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by grandstar(m): 12:41am On Aug 31, 2023
OperationalVehi:

Life happens. He doesn't need to go back

He did try o!

When he did, at the embassy, he was asked whether he's ever been to the States and he said no.

His interviewer said he doubted it as his accent was a dead giveaway.

He now asked my inlaw to return the next day for fingerprinting. My inlaw did not go back the next for his fingerprints. He was the one who narrated things to us.

He blames his wife (my cousin) for his arrest. He said the cops showed up at his apartment with a fake warrant and she foolishly let them in.

The cops found over $200,000 in his basement and lots of credit cards, enough evidence to prosecute him.

He narrated an incident in prison when he beat a black American in table tennis. The loser said after the match that if this game was played in Africa, they would be using rocks instead as pingpong balls. cheesy grin grin grin cheesy

He also witnessed in prison an inmate stabbed to death while queuing for food. The felon killed was like 4 persons in front of him.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by OperationalVehi: 12:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
grandstar:

He did try o!

When he did, at the embassy, he was asked whether he's ever been to the States and he said no.

His interviewer said he doubted it as his accent was a dead giveaway.

He now asked my inlaw to return the next day for fingerprinting. My inlaw never returned. He was the one who narrated things to us.
He wasn't ready. If he was ready, he would have gone back to for the finger print
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by grandstar(m): 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2023
OperationalVehi:

He wasn't ready. If he was ready, he would have gone back to for the finger print

The fingerprints would have exposed him as a former felon in the US. That's why he did not go back the next day for them take his fingerprints.

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Onefornaija24: 10:04pm On Aug 31, 2023
Burob:
No.

Why do u say so?
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by revolt(m): 1:16am On Sep 01, 2023
Karleb:
I don't know why our people are greedy.

America is the last place anyone should do crime for money, there are a million ways to be rich in that country and you are comfortable without even trying.
so says ppl that hve never crossed MM1. They think money grows on trees here... they don't know there are homeless hardworking ppl here... most ppl are a paycheck to being homeless.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Onefornaija24: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2023
xandy84:
Interesting question. Racism is secondary. Financial gain is the major cause of high rate of recidivism. Most prisons in own by private cooperations who charges government to house inmate and the more inmate, the more profitable. There is a cooperation that built prison in Virginia and they have a clause on their contract with state the State of Virginia must pay if it can't provide inmate to their jail. If a state will pay for an empty jail, they don't have incentives to keep people out of jail. There was a case of a dude that died in jail for stealing $5 gum in 7/11 years ago.
Cooperations donate billions for elections, politicians vote on legislations that favor cooperations thru their lobbying agencies.
Federal prison system is even worse. The cheapest way to get a gender reassigned surgery is to buy a ticket to Jamaica, pick a gram of cocaine on your way back, get arrested and plead guilty to a six month prison and sue the government to provide money for your surgery. Why? Cos cooperations pressure policians to pass legislations that enforce free medical procedures to inmates while millions of hard working Americans goes without health insurance.
Bop spend almost $2 million to house a particular lady for 20 years due to major illness she has and when she was interviewed at the end of her sentence, she said she will be back withing 48 hours cos she will die before a month outside due to her medical conditions. Only very few hospitals will do major procedure on you without insurance. They will put a bandage and give you aspirin and down the road while inmate gets a gender reassigned surgery from male to female, 2 years later, he found Jesus and wish to go back to his primary gender... The system is rotten

Seems you have been in America for long.

I love your perspective on this.

What do you think of deportation for someone that committed a crime,?

Financial crime.

Also, do they deport those granted asylum?

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by xandy84: 1:44pm On Oct 05, 2023
US, like most countries, has the right to deport foreign national that commit a crime in their country. Any financial crime over a $1k is a felony and you're on automatic deportable when you commit a felony.
Any felonies committed before you become a citizen will make you deportable either you're an asylum holder or permanent resident. There are cases of immigration suing people who are already a citizen trying to take their citizens away cos they committed a crime while applying for their citizenship. Even as a citizen, you chances of getting a decent job is hard when you have a felony in your background.

[quote author=Onefornaija24 post=126207349][/quote]

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Onefornaija24: 1:40am On Mar 16
cookingsoul:
well let me b even more blunt he will forcefully kiss his ass goodbye to serial booty bandits in prison or killed in prison.he better pray he makes it to deportation.i did 4 yrs in upstate NY prison listen I thank God am alive to even tell story,guys dey hide shank/knife for inside anus.i form Muslim then go join Muslim brotherhood nah wetin save me everyday I dey hearppl dey rape grown men even as I dey type dis story I dey get cold sweats.this nah federal prison no b state jail,killers,rapist, murderers,armed robber,child killers no forget ppl wey dey death row.from there nah to immigration detention wen I reach there I was given choice 1.we go put u for plane anytime or 2. U stay for our detention here till them resolve ur immigration court .na soon tell ice officer abeg put me for plane wit the quickness.after 4 days around 2am sumbody tap say make I wake up ND pack my few belongings,den carry me go processing give my normal clothes to wear put me inside van wit hand cuffs to airport.wen we reach airport the guy wey escort me nah cool guy he comot handcuffs,we jus dey for airport like say we b friends.finally the boarding come start the officer wear normal cloth he jus carry me go meet the airline like a real guy man .naso I enter plane b4 u kno nah welcome to lasgidi.i swear wen I reach naija I cry like baby nothing like home and to b free like I bird.one day I go write a book for sure.to God b the glory

chilling story.
From your experience, is there anything you think he can do to escape deportation?
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Onefornaija24: 1:43am On Mar 16
Risingsunn:
file a case as against his deportation giving reasons why he should be allowed to stay in America. His child need fatherly support.

Ordinarily, he would be deported but because he has a child that is a citizen and also with a citizen mum, he is good to go. Just be in the good books of the akata babe. If the akata babe dey against am, he will be deported straight up

Please how exactly does this work?

Is it an option worth exploring?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The New Apapa-Oshodi Expressway As Construction Works Continue - Photos / Despite Security Shortcoming, Owerri Still A Bustling City (pix) / Anambra Explosion: Delta State Fire Service Came To The Rescue (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.