Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,518 members, 7,812,601 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? (39329 Views)

Happie Boys To Be Deported From Cyprus Within 30 Days - Leaked Chat / Nigerian Lady Denied Canadian Residency, To Be Deported For Having Baby (pics) / Nigerian Man Begs To Be Deported After 5 Years In Italy/Germany (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Onefornaija24: 7:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
ednut1:
when he gets deported help pick him up at the airport in Lagos šŸ„²

What if he isn't deported?
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by fatigah(m): 8:19pm On Aug 29, 2023
If you have ever been convicted of one of the following, you are permanently denied the possibility of receiving U.S. citizenship: murder, or an aggravated felony (if the conviction was after November 29, 1990). These bars are automatic.On What Grounds Can I Be Denied U.S. Citizenship?

If you are applying for U.S. citizenship through the process known as naturalization, using Form N-400, there are a number of grounds upon which you can be denied. (We're assuming that you're not using a more obscure route to U.S. citizenship, such as requesting automatic citizenship through your parents' U.S. citizen status using one of the legal processes called acquisition or derivation.)

The grounds upon which U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) might deny a Form N-400 include, for example, that:

you actually never merited the green card in the first place, or should never have been approved for it
since getting a green card, you did something to make you removable (deportable) from the United States, and
you don't meet the basic eligibility criteria for U.S. citizenship after all.
Whether You Merited the Green Card in the First Place

An application for U.S. citizenship gives the U.S. immigration authorities another chance to review your entire file. Occasionally, USCIS encounters instances where the applicant really shouldn't have been given a green card to begin with.

For example, let's say an applicant immigrated as the unmarried child of a U.S. citizen, but was in fact married when he or she immigrated. This applicant might, on the N-400 application, unthinkingly put down his or her actual marriage date. If USCIS notices that this date was before the applicant's receipt of the green card, it could ask further questions, and ultimately place the applicant into removal proceedings.

Once stripped of the green card, the applicant will have no more right to U.S. citizenship.

Whether You've Done Something to Make You Removable From the U.S.
Green card holders are subject to the grounds of deportability found in Section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), or 8 U.S.C. Ā§ 1227.

For instance, you could become deportable for having committed certain crimes or immigration violations, engaged in subversive or terrorist activities, or even failed to advise USCIS of your change of address within ten days of moving.

If you happen to have spent six months or more outside the United States and then returned, you were also subject to the grounds of inadmissibility upon your return. These cover not only various crimes and immigration violations, but the issue of whether you have become a public charge (received need-based government assistance) or developed certain physical or mental disorders that present a threat to the public or yourself.

If, during your application for citizenship, USCIS notices that you have become removable or were inadmissible upon entry to the U.S., it can place you into removal proceedings and you might lose your green card (lawful permanent residence).

Whether You Meet the Basic Eligibility Criteria for U.S. Citizenship
Citizenship is the highest benefit a person can obtain under U.S. immigration law, and therefore comes with a list of requirements. These include that you:

are at least 18 years old at the time of applying
have had permanent residence (a green card) for the required number of years (usually five, but fewer for certain categories of applicants, such as spouses of U.S. citizens).
have been physically present in the United States for a least half of your required years of permanent residence
have been continuously present in the United States; that is, have not spent long periods of time in another country
have lived in the same U.S. state or USCIS district for three months before applying to the USCIS office there
have demonstrated good moral character in the years leading up to application for citizenship
can speak, read, and write English
can pass a test covering U.S. history and government, and
are willing to affirm loyalty to the U.S. and serve in its military if necessary.
Failure to meet any of these criteria can mean that your application for citizenship will be denied. In most cases, you will not lose your green card at the same time, but will simply need to wait, and once again apply for citizenship when you are ready. However, there are exceptions, for example if you were out of the U.S. for so long that you appear to have abandoned your residence here.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by 1Sharon(f): 10:05pm On Aug 29, 2023

3 years ain't a lot.

3 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Gerrard59(m): 11:43pm On Aug 29, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
America a country people pick dollars on the floor is where an idiot went to commit crime. Bloody twa.t. He's gonna come back to enjoy agbado after his sentence probably he should run for president in future. His kind are loved in Nigeria.

Alternatively, he register on Nairaland preaching how bad America is and why young and ambitious people should not japa.

I will be here waiting for such a fvcktard, patiently.

13 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by BarrElChapo(m): 11:49pm On Aug 29, 2023
Onefornaija24:
My primary school mate just got convicted in the USA for 36 months.

It had to do with money laundering, aza man issues about 200k USD.

He has a green card but not a citizen.

He has been in the USA since 2017.

He has 2 kids he gave birth to there with naija wife.

He impregnated an akata, akata oyibo woman gave birth while he was in prison because he was already in detention till the court conviction last week.

WILL HE BE DEPORTED after serving his jail terms?

Most likely. Only citizens by birth cannot be deported.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 12:02am On Aug 30, 2023
Na me go pick am for ikeja airport...after service

3 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Reference(m): 12:20am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

He impregnated an akata, akata oyibo woman gave birth while he was in prison because he was already in detention till the court conviction last week.

Hmmm.... the real 'Bad Bunny'... grin
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by nduchucks: 12:21am On Aug 30, 2023
Aggravated Felonies

Aggravated felonies are specified in the Immigration and Nationality Act and include violent crimes, bribery, arms trafficking, money laundering grin, drug trafficking, abuse of a minor and other serious crimes. Many of these felonies overlap with crimes of moral turpitude.

If your friend is a lawful permanent resident on a visa or green card in the United States, he could face deportation because money laundering
Is an aggravated felony. 95% chance that your friend will be deported right after his prison term.

Naturalization as a citizen is the only way to avoid deportation

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:21am On Aug 30, 2023
Chibuzoripob:
sad after his jail term He'll work and pay the šŸ’°

They fit give am āš ļø. They'll not deport him

You do not know anything so be quiet . He will be deported surely. All assets seized to pay back

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:22am On Aug 30, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Thatā€™s where the unpaid restitution and his felony conviction and deportation will come back to bite.

Exactly, he will never enter America ever again

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:23am On Aug 30, 2023
BigDawsNet:

I'm not a defense attorney but it's a fraud related case probably convicted by the FBI... he will complete his sentence and may likely avoid deportation if he shows good behaviour tru out his sentences time...

If the case is drug related... he will definitely be deported...

All of you who don't know anything should shut up, HE WILL BE DEPORTED AND BANNED FROM EVER ENTERING America again

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:25am On Aug 30, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Attorney hereā€”deportation is definitely in his future. Good behavior can, in some cases, earn a shorter incarceration period but it wonā€™t stop removal proceedings. You said he was sentenced to 36 months. His attorney shouldā€™ve already discussed expectations with him prior to sentencing.

Exactly , I don't know where all these Nigerians who have never entered a plane before are giving him false hope . From court to detention then moved to prison immediately his sentence is finished straight back to Nigeria he will never see free American soil again

10 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Omoawoke: 12:25am On Aug 30, 2023
Karleb:
I don't know why our people are greedy.

America is the last place anyone should do crime for money, there are a million ways to be rich in that country and you are comfortable without even trying.

Crime is in some peoples dna, without crime, they will not be fulfilled.

If you give them all the riches of this world, they will still find a way to do petty crimes

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Gayigaskia(m): 12:27am On Aug 30, 2023
Either way, donā€™t sell off anything he entrusted to you. He will be fine

8 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:27am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

If they deport him,who will now pay restitution?

They don't care, that now comes in when he ever drams of going to America because his children are citizens, remember that part of the visa form where they ask you to disclose if you have ever been convicted? He will be forever be denied visa to enter America for life . His kids can only come here to visit him he can never ever enter America till he dies

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by studyless123: 12:27am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

Money laundering is a ground for deportation.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:28am On Aug 30, 2023
Spanishmilf:
Is it possible to deport a greencard owner

It will be revoked immediately

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:29am On Aug 30, 2023
eepeepook:
I doubt heā€™ll be deported. That akata pikin need a full eighteen years of child support. Heā€™ll come out from frying pan to fire as that childā€™s mother will demand every possible thing he can provide to sustain both her and the baby.

Shut up and read if you don't know anything. He will be deported. You have never ver applied for visa in your life so shut up
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:30am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

What if he isn't deported?

HE WILL BE DEPORTED 100% the very day he finishes his sentence straight to the Airport

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Regex: 12:34am On Aug 30, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

All of you who don't know anything should shut up, HE WILL BE DEPORTED AND BANNED FROM EVER ENTERING America again

No just America, the UK, France, Australia, and Canada. And the minute he is banned from entering any of the EU countries in the five eyes, he can no longer enter any country in the European Union and Switzerland. So he is a goner. Azaman

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Raskimonojendor: 12:35am On Aug 30, 2023
Likely yes. Tell your friend to ask his attorney. Some jurisdictions would order deportation based on the length of sentencing.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by grandstar(m): 12:35am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:
He was also ordered to make restitution

If they deport him, how will he pay?

My inlaw was deported in 1997 for credit card fraud after serving 3yr out of a 6year sentence.

He has never been able to go back.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by ArticleBeast: 12:36am On Aug 30, 2023
Even those wey never reach embassy for their life dey the thread dey give advicešŸ¤£šŸ¤£

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:37am On Aug 30, 2023
Regex:

No just America, the UK, France, Australia, and Canada. And the minute he is banned from entering any of the EU countries in the five eyes, he can no longer enter any country in the European Union and Switzerland. So he is a goner. Azaman

Trust me through him they will get many of them, once he was arrested his phones and laptops will be seized. They will subject all phone calls to forensic experts who will trace all the other yahoo boys he has been working with. A lot of them will be arrested and deported

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 30, 2023
Of course?

You think he will get a medal after jail?

7 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by YesDaddyTill203: 12:40am On Aug 30, 2023
He will be deported. There is no exception unless it was part of a deal (this rarely happens) where the prosecution agreed not to deport him. He will be sent to a federal deportation prison and deported once he's done with his prison sentence.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Mancala: 12:41am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

Chai, his village people finally caught up with him. Conviction for fraud of $10,000 or more is an aggravated felony and grounds for removal for a non citizen. He can never become a citizen without a waiver and canā€™t even renew his green card. In fact he will most likely be removed as soon as he completes his sentence. As to paying restitution, he will likely do penal labor to start paying back immediately which he cannot possibly pay all before his sentence runs out as prisoners are paid like 15 cents per hour depending on the state.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Regex: 12:42am On Aug 30, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

Trust me through him they will get many of them, once he was arrested his phones and laptops will be seized. They will subject all phone calls to forensic experts who will trace all the other yahoo boys he has been working with. A lot of them will be arrested and deported

I pray they get all of them. They don't deserve freedom.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 12:43am On Aug 30, 2023
Regex:

I pray they get all of them. They don't deserve freedom.

Yes oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Anambra Explosion: Delta State Fire Service Came To The Rescue (photos) / Despite Security Shortcoming, Owerri Still A Bustling City (pix) / Lagos To Abuja Flight Cost - Arik Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.