Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,452 members, 7,812,383 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest (25494 Views)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi / Iyanuoluwa Osewa & Kolawole Bello Win Cowbellpedia Mathematics Teachers Of Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Rapmoney(m): 9:48am On Aug 29, 2023
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

170 Likes 16 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by money121(m): 9:48am On Aug 29, 2023
With peanut salary

112 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Rapmoney(m): 9:50am On Aug 29, 2023
money121:
With peanut salary

That one sef bad, my brother.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by TemplarLandry: 9:50am On Aug 29, 2023
grin They love milking their employees dry.

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Wodu89: 9:55am On Aug 29, 2023
I swear

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by OKUCHI11(m): 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2023
70- 80k as salary... Where the school dey...

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Koppaguard: 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2023
If not for Nysc wetin for concern me and teaching, God help us.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Average9jaman: 3:06pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

All you said is true, down to the last fullstop. I had to run away from my teaching job, tho I had not gotten another job yet.

They will milk you dry and suck your blood, overwork you, victimise and sack you if you try to speak out

Come and see workload, I was ALWAYS tired and brain fatigued, I used to tell some of my colleagues I was close with that my brain can't even think of anything better for me to do, because those school owners give loads of work which gives you no time to use your brain to think for yourself.

The owner had a common saying that - to get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice.

After considering this saying I had to run for my life, because I thought to myself - after squeezing and sucking an orange, what do you do after all the juice is out

I left quickly without having getting another opening first

173 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by LikeAking: 3:15pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

Truth!!

Graduates most avoid this job

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Nazgul: 5:22pm On Aug 29, 2023
Don't blame them. Aside school fees, which some students don't even pay, there's nothing coming into the school's account and they don't receive any funding from the government, despite paying so much for accreditation and other operating fees.

Those holiday lessons you see them organizing are merely to raise funds for the continuous day-to-day running of the school.

Everyone including the owner of the school whom you're working for, doesn't expect you to build your career there. It's just a place to manage pending when you get something much better, that's why there's no career growth cos I doubt if you'll see anyone who has spent above 10 years working in a private school most especially in a city.

34 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Noblegraphix20(m): 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2023
Nawa oo

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by AImiron: 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2023
Nah modern day slavery, na the school owners Dey chop money, while the teachers are experience 2nd tier level of poverty. I wonder how they survive during holidays.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Danielcacs233: 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2023
Normal
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by fatherjesse(m): 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2023
It is very sad, wicked and disheartening; all because the system has failed the citizenry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by incogni2o: 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2023
Honestly speaking.

Worst part is the peanut Salary

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by OperationalVehi: 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2023
It's a system designed to keep you knee deep in poverty. Then you stay for over a year and realize it's a system designed to to keep you in poverty Neck deep

Its hard to survive even before month end. I am already owing six other people even before thr 24k salary drop

The truth Is most secondary schools are built on loans from different sources but even at that, we the young teachers are wallowing in poverty and the earning can't even cover 10days after pay day.

As a teacher I can testify teaching in a secondary school and earning under 30k is the root path to suicide. Make God quick do miracle for me like this ni o.
Plenty debt don dey my neck like dis cry

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by FreeStuffsNG: 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2023

Wrong advice.

If it's good, stay long enough until you master it and can be an expert. Besides, long is ambiguous so I will suggest you stay long enough till you become an expert at it just like every job or professional.

Jumping around from one place or profession to another is not a sign that you are really good, it's a sign that you're not stable in your focus and can be easily taken away. No employer like those kind of prospective employee.

It takes time to build anything formidable in life and that includes career.

There's a lot you learn when you devote time and self discipline to become an expert in what you do. If you don't stay long there's no way you can attain minimum of 10,000 hours to become an expert. Check my signature for free stuffs!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Kobicove(m): 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2023
The reason why private schools keep teachers during long holidays is largely because parents request for holiday coaching for their kids so as to keep them occupied undecided

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by mayor1814: 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
This is a very good topic. Proprietresses and proprietors use teachers anyhow coz dey know they little or no options. And wen u leave they they can always get another set of teachers to employ.

May God help us.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by butpro(m): 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
This is true, I won't mention names of two most prominent private schools in Ore, ondo state. They have been given compulsory seminar with peanuts as salary ,just because they have no choose , not considering the transport and other hardship they are facing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Mindlog: 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
More like a slave camp.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Francisayo(m): 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

You're 100% correct, I can relate.

The 4 yrs I used in teaching in private school was a total waste if years. I regretted it.

Teaching in private school is the worst job for Nigeria graduates.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Plight21(f): 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
It's damn frustrating.

But getting job isn't that easy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Eazie351(m): 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
On a norms, teachers are paid students.

They get to school before the students and leave after them
They write notes and get it marked too

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
Ok ✅

If na you nko? You are a critic. Keep criticizing.

Na your type go Dey use 1 teacher to teach 3 subjects when you get your own school and still pay 40k/month with severe instructions not to make the kids fail.

Quote me for daily 2 guaranteed odds for max staking,Lego.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Wizpa(m): 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
angry
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Momcherry(f): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
Average9jaman:

All you said is true, down to the last fullstop. I had to run away from my teaching job, tho I had not gotten another job yet.

They will milk you dry and suck your blood, overwork you, victimise and sack you if you try to speak out

Come and see workload, I was ALWAYS tired and brain fatigued, I used to tell some of my colleagues I was close with that my brain can't even think of anything better for me to do, because those school owners give loads of work which gives you no time to use your brain to think for yourself.

The owner had a common saying that - to get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice.

After considering this saying I had to run for my life, because I thought to myself - after squeezing and sucking an orange, what do you do after all the juice is out

I left quickly without having getting another opening first

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by condralbedez: 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
undecided
Our man has recently join CSU.You dey whyne

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by israelmao(m): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
Working with some private schools in Nigeria is like signing in for private slavery and exploitation.You can imagine a graduate on salary of N30,000 or far less with hard labour inspite of millions in naira being made by the school owners.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Dshocker(m): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
No difference between a private school teachers and slave...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jewessgratitud3: 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
Lol.. you people have come again, this time na teachers una dey solicit for. Good though.

I am a teacher and I'm proud to be one but not a full time teacher. So I'm not bound by the schools rules to come for summer lessons. I only do so on my own terms which is either organizing seminars or training for the teachers at a fee. Which usually runs for a few days to weeks, all on my terms.

This particular holiday, I didn't take any offers from any of my schools because the ones that indicated interest were underpricing me plus me I wanted to rest well this period because last term was so stressful and there were hardly enough breaks inbetween. So I decided to rest. Though i got bored three weeks into the holiday. Now I'm depressed from boredom because it was just sleep, surf the net, eat and sleep, church and back home. Tiring!!!! Thank God school is about to resume.

If you want to enjoy teaching job, opt for part-time.

16 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Apply For Seplat Jv Undergraduate Scholarship 2017/2018!!! / Placard Of Protesting Sacked Kaduna Teachers: "Exam Not True Test Of Knowledge" / Easiest Course To Read In University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.