Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,281 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest (25534 Views)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi / Iyanuoluwa Osewa & Kolawole Bello Win Cowbellpedia Mathematics Teachers Of Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Ara21(f): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
money121:
With peanut salary

They don't want their workers to grow.

5 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Bfly: 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
Life is really a struggle. Many are pushed to the wall but can't push back.

7 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jevica: 5:28pm On Aug 29, 2023
This is very true and insightful

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by teetee12: 5:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
They are destiny wasters.

4 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Odss11: 5:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
These are facts...so bad that you may not even have time to attend interviews..Ran for my life 7yrs ago, grateful I made that decision

8 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by treasurenat(m): 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
If they are sucking you is even better.the worst thing is that some pay half salary of the peanut and refused to pay July salary until you resume.And they don't pay during holiday.When the school resume for first term when the resumption date pass middle of the month,no salary for you.You must dress like bankers who is earning millions of naira and speak grammar like lawyer.Private teaching job is still under unemployment and underemployment. Ask them during lockdown how they almost die and become beggers

14 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Padipadi(m): 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
OKUCHI11:
70- 80k as salary... Where the school dey...
Only 10% of Nigerians private schools can pay up to that or a above. Most private schools pay btw N15K - N50K

12 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Exceed15: 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
Modernised slavery

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by chatinent: 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
Many don't pay 13 months. Even at that, more don't pay 12months; they only pay you the months you are at school. But you know the evil? They want you to mark scripts and do other works during the holidays.

Over 90% of private teachers earn ₦10k with hard labour. Only few earn a lil above it.

Nigeria is a dung.

5 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by opeekiti: 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2023
Teaching in private school is miserable and time consuming. Is better to own a POS stand or selling pure water in a busy road than be a private school teacher. I can experience.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Cocolatti(m): 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2023
I was once a victim.
This is where the Nigerian Labour Congress is suppose to come in and investigate the activities of this private school owners whose Modus operandi is similar to that of slave owners.

7 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by opeekiti: 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2023
Teaching in private school is miserable and time consuming. Is better to own a POS stand or selling pure water in a busy road than be a private school teacher. I can relate, Make God help us

9 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by tfash96(m): 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

Teaching in private is nonsensical.. Aside using it to catch cruise in NYSC it's total nonsense taking it as real job...I tried it after my NYSC I didn't spend upto 3 months before I dropped my resignation letter

13 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Wizuman: 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2023
Kobicove:
The reason why private schools keep teachers during long holidays is largely because parents request for holiday coaching for their kids so as to keep them occupied undecided

No! The reason is to prevent them from going to look for job.

6 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Wizuman: 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2023
Plight21:
It's damn frustrating.

But getting job isn't that easy

Some of those schools are danger zones. The longer u stay with them the farther good jobs run from u.

Leave ASAP. I am sorry to tell u this

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by 9jatriot(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
If schools were offering 24 hours service, some parent would willing drop sorry dump their kids in those schools. Most parents will quarrel with any schools that does not do summer school, especially in the cities.

Many small towns and villages still allow kids to play, but you see our so called cities, their children be like liabilities to them. I know some of you will claim that it is because the parents are working, but you will find a stay at home mom still lobby to go and dump the kids in school in the name of summer lessons.

6 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Wizuman: 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
Bfly:
Life is really a struggle. Many are pushed to the wall but can't push back.

no matter d pressure, avoid those private schools. E get why!

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by PINKYandBRAIN: 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
PINKY: They have Turned Their Teachers into Academical Slaves

BRAIN: The Collonial Masters Made It So.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2023
Private school owners are the ones who spoilt the Nigerian school system by putting financial gains over morals and child behaviours.......and the Nigerian govt did nothing to chocolate them.....
Even the peanuts they pay their teachers, they will stress hell from them by making them work from 7am till 6pm!

12 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by franchasofficia: 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2023
Average9jaman:

All you said is true, down to the last fullstop. I had to run away from my teaching job, tho I had not gotten another job yet.

They will milk you dry and suck your blood, overwork you, victimise and sack you if you try to speak out

Come and see workload, I was ALWAYS tired and brain fatigued, I used to tell some of my colleagues I was close with that my brain can't even think of anything better for me to do, because those school owners give loads of work which gives you no time to use your brain to think for yourself.

The owner had a common saying that - to get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice.

After considering this saying I had to run for my life, because I thought to myself - after squeezing and sucking an orange, what do you do after all the juice is out

I left quickly without having getting another opening first
cheesy grin
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by equity1(m): 5:44pm On Aug 29, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Wrong advice.

If it's good, stay long enough until you master it and can be an expert. Besides, long is ambiguous so I will suggest you stay long enough till you become an expert at it just like every job or professional.

Jumping around from one place or professional to another is not a sign that you are really good, it's a sign that you're not stable in your focus and can be easily taken away. No employer like those kind of prospective employee.

It takes time to build anything formidable in life and that includes career.

There's a lot you learn when you devote time and self discipline to become an expert in what you do. If you don't stay long there's no way you can attain minimum of 10,000 hours to become an expert.
Are you serious or you are just been sarcastic?

4 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Hoelujohn: 5:46pm On Aug 29, 2023
OperationalVehi:
It's a system designed to keep you knee deep in poverty. Then you stay for over a year and realize it's a system designed to to keep you in poverty Neck deep

Its hard to survive even before month end. I am already owing six other people even before thr 24k salary drop

The truth Is most secondary schools are built on loans from different sources but even at that, we the young teachers are wallowing in poverty and the earning can't even cover 10days after pay day.

As a teacher I can testify teaching in a secondary school and earning under 30k is the root path to suicide. Make God quick do miracle for me like this ni o.
Plenty debt don dey my neck like dis cry
I know teachers making 500k every month. If you are teaching the key subjects, you should still be making minimum of 300k per month.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Adelowo28: 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2023
I thought it is a choice
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Ingredient88(m): 5:49pm On Aug 29, 2023
Average9jaman:

All you said is true, down to the last fullstop. I had to run away from my teaching job, tho I had not gotten another job yet.

They will milk you dry and suck your blood, overwork you, victimise and sack you if you try to speak out

Come and see workload, I was ALWAYS tired and brain fatigued, I used to tell some of my colleagues I was close with that my brain can't even think of anything better for me to do, because those school owners give loads of work which gives you no time to use your brain to think for yourself.

The owner had a common saying that - to get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice.

After considering this saying I had to run for my life, because I thought to myself - after squeezing and sucking an orange, what do you do after all the juice is out

I left quickly without having getting another opening first
i just have to laugh, I also did the same thing some months ago, when I discovered that I will die soon if I don't leave, so I have to leave one Thursday like that ooo, till now am still trying to look for another option ooo.

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by ednut1(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2023
We had a neighbour growing up that later built a school. Became so rich that he buys like 2 houses a year. But his teachers always looked poor with the 20k salary he was paying them. Seems like they are in coven true true

8 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Godmind2022(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

Would you do differently if you were a private school owner? Let's turn the table around. Hope you no go vex. A no own a private school, please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by drinkgarri: 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2023
No sleep for the wicked approach.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by cozy7(m): 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

U make total sense. I wasted 16 yrs of my life teaching. The moment I saw an opportunity to leave, I grabbed it n ran as fast as my legs could carry me. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN TEACHING IS DEATH!

6 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BreconHills(m): 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

No two schools are alike. And you need to see things from the perspective of both the employee and the school. My wife owns a 300 child pre and primary school on the mainland so I think I can give some perspective here.

Our teachers are paid a full salary through the holidays - in fact teachers received pay throughout covid 19 because we have a robust online platform and we parents could pick up free fun activity flash drives and drop off hard copy assignments in decontaminated containers.

Most schools run summer schools. Parents continue to work through the holidays and many of them need/desire that their children are engaged. Most summer schools are "learning through fun" oriented. So topics are like painting, robotics, tie and dye, dance. We even got a nollywood director and shot a 15 minute film that's on the internet. It's fun.

If you don't run summer school your parents will take them somewhere else thst does - so you have to be thick or incredibly unstrategic to not have a good summer school.

Teachers get 2.5 weeks off on a rota basis. Some non teaching staff have had the whole summer off. Our teachers come in three days before commencement to decorate their classes. They are paid in full throughout.

Regarding salary, it really depends on where you are, your cost base and the kind of fees you can charge. Entry level teachers start here on 80k and senior teachers are on 150k plus 60% of private lesson done on premise. If they have extra curricular skills we keep that income in house and pay the teacher. Our post subsidy pay rise is between 10-30k depending on tenure. This excludes 100% HMO for all staff. Our head teacher earns 200k plus end of year bonus. And believe me we are not the highest salary payers.

I think it's grossly unfair to tar all private schools with the same brush. There are many good school owners out there and of course each teacher has to evaluate the school before taking employment. If the terms are onerous become a private lesson teacher or find another school or career line. Simple.

Modified: some of our teachers teach our Japa pupils online and get paid in USD. We are fully aware and they keep 100% of such revenue. In these modern times, teachers must be dynamic and innovative. Not to add that with the UK visa policy it is an avenue to travel and work abroad.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by mistilink1: 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2023
mistilink1:
Your opinions about private school owners are emotional. By the grace of God,I am a proprietor. I don't make holiday lesson compulsory for my teachers. Infact, I don't even buy the idea of holiday lesson. These teachers you taught we were using during holidays are even the one that will come begging you as a proprietor to help them convince the parents to bring their kids for holiday lesson. Their major reason for such are always because, they see it as side hustle. MIND YOU, PRIVATE SCHOOL OWNERS ARE ALSO THE MOST HATED PRIVATE BUSINESS OWNERS IN NIGERIA, despite their contribution to the economic wellbeing of the country.
Your opinions about private school owners are emotional. By the grace of God,I am a proprietor. I don't make holiday lesson compulsory for my teachers. Infact, I don't even buy the idea of holiday lesson. These teachers you thought we were using during holidays are even the one that will come begging you as a proprietor to help them convince the parents to bring their kids for holiday lesson. Their major reason for such are always because, they see it as side hustle. MIND YOU, PRIVATE SCHOOL OWNERS ARE ALSO THE MOST HATED PRIVATE BUSINESS OWNERS IN NIGERIA, despite their contribution to the economic wellbeing of the country.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fayemi Upgrades College Of Education Ikere, Ekiti To University / Dowen College: Governor Sanwo-Olu Reacts To Sylvester Oromoni's Death / Anambra To Close 486 Exam Miracle Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.