Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest (25536 Views)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi / Iyanuoluwa Osewa & Kolawole Bello Win Cowbellpedia Mathematics Teachers Of Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by nihinlade(m): 7:19pm On Aug 29, 2023
Even Government Owned schools too. These days they do not allow their staff to rest at all.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by NoToPile: 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2023
BreconHills:

No two schools are alike. And you need to see things from the perspective of both the employee and the school. My wife owns a 300 child pre and primary school on the mainland so I think I can give some perspective here.

Our teachers are paid a full salary through the holidays - in fact teachers received pay throughout covid 19 because we have a robust online platform and we parents could pick up free fun activity flash drives and drop off hard copy assignments in decontaminated containers.

Most schools run summer schools. Parents continue to work through the holidays and many of them need/desire that their children are engaged. Most summer schools are "learning through fun" oriented. So topics are like painting, robotics, tie and dye, dance. We even got a nollywood director and shot a 15 minute film that's on the internet. It's fun.

If you don't run summer school your parents will take them somewhere else thst does - so you have to be thick or incredibly unstrategic to not have a good summer school.

Teachers get 2.5 weeks off on a rota basis. Some non teaching staff have had the whole summer off. Our teachers come in three days before commencement to decorate their classes. They are paid in full throughout.

Regarding salary, it really depends on where you are, your cost base and the kind of fees you can charge. Entry level teachers start here on 80k and senior teachers are on 150k plus 60% of private lesson done on premise. If they have extra curricular skills we keep that income in house and pay the teacher. Our post subsidy pay rise is between 10-30k depending on tenure. This excludes 100% HMO for all staff. Our head teacher earns 200k plus end of year bonus. And believe me we are not the highest salary payers.

I think it's grossly unfair to tar all private schools with the same brush. There are many good school owners out there and of course each teacher has to evaluate the school before taking employment. If the terms are onerous become a private lesson teacher or find another school or career line. Simple.

Modified: some of our teachers teach our Japa pupils online and get paid in USD. We are fully aware and they keep 100% of such revenue. In these modern times, teachers must be dynamic and innovative. Not to add that with the UK visa policy it is an avenue to travel and work abroad.

Sir it's not this type of private schools the OP is talking about. HMO loun loun, these schools refuse to pay salary as at when due.

You treat your teachers well, No teacher from your school will lament like the OP.

3 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by PeachtreeReside(f): 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2023
They make money from Summer School because parents do not have trusted helps to stay with their kids like before.

Yes you arr right in them being overworked and not greatly compensated

If there were Institutions that offer 3rd term camps all over Nigeria and those skills that parents pay to keep their kids from home, teachers would not have to be bullied into working during 3rd term holidays.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by milky3(f): 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2023
Those private school owner never meant well for their staffs.

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by XTHRONE(m): 7:23pm On Aug 29, 2023
OKUCHI11:
70- 80k as salary... Where the school dey...

Me sef shock
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by trumpcoat(m): 7:25pm On Aug 29, 2023
Well said

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Kaka77(m): 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2023
Though you are partially correct, but there are some schools that pay 120k to 200k to their teachers. I currently work in a British School as a Teacher in Abuja, I earn 140k, if i add lesons and other online engagement, it sum up to 300k monthly. As a Teacher one need to upgrade and get the required certificates to Teach in top schools.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Sermwell(m): 7:36pm On Aug 29, 2023
laidima88:
As an educationist, this is my take

The only solution to this peanut salary is to expel all non educationist from teaching line, after they study one useless course with no job, they will later litter all teaching jobs desperately accepting peanuts. We don't want every tom, dick and harry in education.
Imagine only limited professionals in teaching line, employers won't have a choice than to accept their offer but presently even teachers are more than the teaching jobs.

If u don't study education pls don't come to teaching line, u people are the cause of what teachers and education is experiencing currently
You're just being emotional!! In all sectors, every graduates occupy positions outside thier field of study. Go to banks and see those who studied agric, engineering etc working there! Even in government, it's the same thing. Buhari and thiefnubuu never studied political science. Even your former and present minister of education were not educationist.

So what do you expect? cheesy

5 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by B2mario(m): 7:36pm On Aug 29, 2023
money121:
With peanut salary

God punish private schools in Nigeria and government needs to do something about this.

3 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by dy79(m): 7:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

Nigeria private schools owners are exploiters, very terrible set of people...
I taught in Nigeria for many years...
I can say it without any apologies 98% of the school owners in Nigeria are wicked...

Test Gambia and compare the two... mistchweee

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by aremubabs: 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

70-80k?

I doubt any principal in a private school earns that much. Except maybe in those British/American schools.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by gaddafe(m): 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2023
mayor1814:
This is a very good topic. Proprietresses and proprietors use teachers anyhow coz dey know they little or no options. And wen u leave they they can always get another set of teachers to employ.

May God help us.

I don't think this is the same in every state because here in Benin city, it is difficult to get a teacher talk more of using them anyhow. So using them anyhow is out of the question. You disrespect them they leave. If you want to teach, do part time teaching. The holiday lesson is requested by the parents not the school. This issue has been overflogged here on Nairaland. Most parents that go to work don't feel comfortable leaving the kids either with the uncles at home or let the kids roaming in the area so they opt for holiday lesson. In business, when there is a demand, there will be supply.

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BreconHills(m): 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2023
NoToPile:

Sir it's not this type of private schools the OP is talking about. HMO loun loun, these schools refuse to pay salary as at when due.

You treat your teachers well, No teacher from your school will lament like the OP.

Accepted. But he should have used "some schools" I understand his pain but it sounded generalised. Some owners are making big sacrifices.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BreconHills(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
zicoraads:

Bless you.

Continue treating your teachers well.

Your school sounds so much like one I know. Although the one I know is a secondary school with way better working conditions and pay.

If you don't mind my asking; did you do any in-house workshop this end of session?

No we didn't smiley
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BreconHills(m): 8:05pm On Aug 29, 2023
aremubabs:

70-80k?

I doubt any principal in a private school earns that much. Except maybe in those British/American schools.

No o

Our entry level teachers earn that amount. What kind of private schools are this o
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by CJStarz: 8:06pm On Aug 29, 2023
Private school owners are modern day slave masters. They make teachers work during the holidays so that they will not have the time to scout for other jobs. Government should checkmate and investigate their wicked activities

Rapmoney:

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by CJStarz: 8:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
Dat kain pay na after U don work like 10-12 years be dat o

OKUCHI11:

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by labelle123(f): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Lol.. you people have come again, this time na teachers una dey solicit for. Good though.

I am a teacher and I'm proud to be one but not a full time teacher. So I'm not bound by the schools rules to come for summer lessons. I only do so on my own terms which is either organizing seminars or training for the teachers at a fee. Which usually runs for a few days to weeks, all on my terms.

This particular holiday, I didn't take any offers from any of my schools because the ones that indicated interest were underpricing me plus me I wanted to rest well this period because last term was so stressful and there were hardly enough breaks inbetween. So I decided to rest. Though i got bored three weeks into the holiday. Now I'm depressed from boredom because it was just sleep, surf the net, eat and sleep, church and back home. Tiring!!!! Thank God school is about to resume.

If you want to enjoy teaching job, opt for part-time.

You can say that over and over again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Orente21(f): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2023
BreconHills:

No two schools are alike. And you need to see things from the perspective of both the employee and the school. My wife owns a 300 child pre and primary school on the mainland so I think I can give some perspective here.

Our teachers are paid a full salary through the holidays - in fact teachers received pay throughout covid 19 because we have a robust online platform and we parents could pick up free fun activity flash drives and drop off hard copy assignments in decontaminated containers.

Most schools run summer schools. Parents continue to work through the holidays and many of them need/desire that their children are engaged. Most summer schools are "learning through fun" oriented. So topics are like painting, robotics, tie and dye, dance. We even got a nollywood director and shot a 15 minute film that's on the internet. It's fun.

If you don't run summer school your parents will take them somewhere else thst does - so you have to be thick or incredibly unstrategic to not have a good summer school.

Teachers get 2.5 weeks off on a rota basis. Some non teaching staff have had the whole summer off. Our teachers come in three days before commencement to decorate their classes. They are paid in full throughout.

Regarding salary, it really depends on where you are, your cost base and the kind of fees you can charge. Entry level teachers start here on 80k and senior teachers are on 150k plus 60% of private lesson done on premise. If they have extra curricular skills we keep that income in house and pay the teacher. Our post subsidy pay rise is between 10-30k depending on tenure. This excludes 100% HMO for all staff. Our head teacher earns 200k plus end of year bonus. And believe me we are not the highest salary payers.

I think it's grossly unfair to tar all private schools with the same brush. There are many good school owners out there and of course each teacher has to evaluate the school before taking employment. If the terms are onerous become a private lesson teacher or find another school or career line. Simple.

Modified: some of our teachers teach our Japa pupils online and get paid in USD. We are fully aware and they keep 100% of such revenue. In these modern times, teachers must be dynamic and innovative. Not to add that with the UK visa policy it is an avenue to travel and work abroad.
Very juicy. Is there vacancy and accomodations sir? I am coming from ibadan
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BreconHills(m): 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2023
Orente21:
Very juicy. Is there vacancy and accomodations sir? I am coming from ibadan

No accommodation.

And you know distance from the school is a big problem when transport takes so much out of teachers salaries.

Wish you the best of luck.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jozilinn: 8:17pm On Aug 29, 2023
It's so true I can relate to it with my 20k salary, there is always a way to Reduce it every
Month the people you owe alone en, you have to look good just clothes alone sef, it's just do stressful you can't even have time for yourself ontop the small salary sef.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Orente21(f): 8:23pm On Aug 29, 2023
BreconHills:

No accommodation.

And you know distance from the school is a big problem when transport takes so much out of teachers salaries.

Wish you the best of luck.
🤦
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by royalnose: 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
OKUCHI11:

There are schools that pay 300k to teachers on the Island in Lagos. You must major in Education though.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Mayor88(m): 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
"Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job"
CHAI this one LOUD o
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Truvelisback(m): 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

No be lie. They are now our modern days Lebanese and Indian guys who use Nigerians like slaves because of money.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by GUNITGuy: 8:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
100% correct
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by matm: 8:52pm On Aug 29, 2023
Opening a private school is like opening a shop.Your students are your customers.More students means more customers.Less students means less customers and lesser money.
Students equate to money.Teachers are customer care attendants.Lose students, lose ur pay

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by 775chris(m): 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2023
Wodu89:
I swear

Even party tooo they make sure parents pay by force some we not even care if u are still own school fees but u must pay the yeye party
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jflex07(m): 9:26pm On Aug 29, 2023
No be lie my brother. I was a private school teacher for four years, in that four years, I achieved nothing. It was just like a boy moving in circles..A child you taught in Jss1 will move to ss3 and even into the university while as a teacher in a private school, you will not achieved anything over the years.

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BinamRex: 9:34pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

Mr Saturday turn 60 years for inside teaching job.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by aremubabs: 9:57pm On Aug 29, 2023
BreconHills:

No o

Our entry level teachers earn that amount. What kind of private schools are this o

In which state is your school?
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by OperationalVehi: 9:58pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jflex07:
No be lie my brother. I was a private school teacher for four years, in that four years, I achieved nothing. It was just like a boy moving in circles..A child you taught in Jss1 will move to ss3 and even into the university while as a teacher in a private school, you will not achieved anything over the years.

They never told you that "your reward is in heaven".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dowen College: Governor Sanwo-Olu Reacts To Sylvester Oromoni's Death / Fayemi Upgrades College Of Education Ikere, Ekiti To University / Anambra To Close 486 Exam Miracle Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.