Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest (25500 Views)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi / Iyanuoluwa Osewa & Kolawole Bello Win Cowbellpedia Mathematics Teachers Of Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by yahoodetector: 5:55pm On Aug 29, 2023
OKUCHI11:
70- 80k as salary... Where the school dey...

Go back and read the article very well again
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by formular2002(m): 5:57pm On Aug 29, 2023
I left 15k primary school teaching job in 2011 and joined a factory to earn about 50k plus shifts and other little benefits.
Now, I love teaching but it was not rewarding.
My goal now is to own a school where teachers would be valued with great retirement plan.
I also want to retire in the classroom as a teacher because it's my calling. I know for sure. I just need to pay the bills for now and save to achieve the goal.
Teaching is fulfilling and rewarding but unfortunately, the system in Nigeria makes it hard.

10 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Akharmony: 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2023
I really dont know why they treat there workers in such way. Since 2004 i left secondary school i still see my Business study teacher and one other man who i blv is now a principal but the condition i saw then in was very Bad. I saw the principal with a struggle to push his racketee vehicle off the road.. He seem to b like one who has been drained, used by a wicked opportunist. SEED OF LIFE COLLEGE. . MO NAH JAH MI IF I TALK LIE

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by BreconHills(m): 6:03pm On Aug 29, 2023
mistilink1:
Your opinions about private school owners are emotional. By the grace of God,I am a proprietor. I don't make holiday lesson compulsory for my teachers. Infact, I don't even buy the idea of holiday lesson. These teachers you thought we were using during holidays are even the one that will come begging you as a proprietor to help them convince the parents to bring their kids for holiday lesson. Their major reason for such are always because, they see it as side hustle. MIND YOU, PRIVATE SCHOOL OWNERS ARE ALSO THE MOST HATED PRIVATE BUSINESS OWNERS IN NIGERIA, despite their contribution to the economic wellbeing of the country.

I agree.

In fact I think all registered and inspected schools should obtain a generous portion of the billions allocated for SME's. Teachers are large employers of labour and they also spend a lot on resources etc. Imagine the multiplier effect of grants to schools on the economy.

3 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by DataAlchemist: 6:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Wrong advice.

If it's good, stay long enough until you master it and can be an expert. Besides, long is ambiguous so I will suggest you stay long enough till you become an expert at it just like every job or professional.

Jumping around from one place or professional to another is not a sign that you are really good, it's a sign that you're not stable in your focus and can be easily taken away. No employer like those kind of prospective employee.

It takes time to build anything formidable in life and that includes career.

There's a lot you learn when you devote time and self discipline to become an expert in what you do. If you don't stay long there's no way you can attain minimum of 10,000 hours to become an expert.
What are you saying?? we are talking about huge workload while being paid peanuts. and what highest level can you get in life being an expert teacher??

4 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by darealez(m): 6:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
OKUCHI11:
Ibadan
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Lordsonn: 6:07pm On Aug 29, 2023
It's a pity to work in a private school. May God take people teaching in private schools to better place of work

5 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Omoleus(m): 6:09pm On Aug 29, 2023
Well said.
I have a sister working at one private school in Ikorodu. According to her, the owner of the school will give them tasks and would keep the gates locked until they finish the tasks…not minding the time of the day. Like prisoners.
She left there already.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by seanwilliam(m): 6:09pm On Aug 29, 2023
Average9jaman:

All you said is true, down to the last fullstop. I had to run away from my teaching job, tho I had not gotten another job yet.

They will milk you dry and suck your blood, overwork you, victimise and sack you if you try to speak out

Come and see workload, I was ALWAYS tired and brain fatigued, I used to tell some of my colleagues I was close with that my brain can't even think of anything better for me to do, because those school owners give loads of work which gives you no time to use your brain to think for yourself.

The owner had a common saying that - to get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice.

After considering this saying I had to run for my life, because I thought to myself - after squeezing and sucking an orange, what do you do after all the juice is out

I left quickly without having getting another opening first
I swear to god, I don Dey piss for body reading the bolded. Like imagined your countenance typing.

May God put a smile on your face as you make me laugh tire this evening 😀😀

3 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Faithy04: 6:09pm On Aug 29, 2023
That right
It's has also been my observation long time ago
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by ultimateprof: 6:10pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

Teaching jobs are for married women who are still racing their children and once their children can cope on their own, then the mother will switch to something else. Teaching jobs are not for a vibrant youths with a prospects!

6 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Manfromlasvegas(m): 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2023
OKUCHI11:

No cap lots of private schools dey pay far far more than this for this country
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Mekoyaw(m): 6:14pm On Aug 29, 2023
It's as if this article was tailored just for me, although before now my mind it's made up already.

I got brighter prospects

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by placeofallure(f): 6:14pm On Aug 29, 2023
Average9jaman:

All you said is true, down to the last fullstop. I had to run away from my teaching job, tho I had not gotten another job yet.

They will milk you dry and suck your blood, overwork you, victimise and sack you if you try to speak out

Come and see workload, I was ALWAYS tired and brain fatigued, I used to tell some of my colleagues I was close with that my brain can't even think of anything better for me to do, because those school owners give loads of work which gives you no time to use your brain to think for yourself.

The owner had a common saying that - to get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice.

After considering this saying I had to run for my life, because I thought to myself - after squeezing and sucking an orange, what do you do after all the juice is out

Hmmn! ...To get the best juice from an orange, one has to squeeze the orange to get the sweet juice....

This one is a witch and she's openly admitting it, Ehn! It's good to know you left already. I wouldn't advise my brother to wait a second more on the job.

Meanwhile, what the OP said is 100% correct. They'll drain you of every iota of goodness in you, then throw you away with reckless abandon. Evil Cult!

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by EhisChelsea1(m): 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:
It seems as if private school owners in Nigeria belong to a secret cult that is hidden from the public, and which is different from the usual private school owners association that we know of. It's as if anyone who opens a school is forced to join this 'evil association' with utmost alacrity. Why do I feel so? There is a laid down pattern which almost everyone of them follows. To suck you, use you and drain the youthfulness out of your soul.

All over the world, July/August is usually a long holiday when teachers take out time to rest, go on vacations or engage in acquiring new skills that could even be outside their field. What we usually observe in Nigeria is different from this. In Nigeria, it is a time where school owners engage teachers in fruitless and vain holiday lesson just to suck money from gullible parents and prevent the teachers from engaging in other endeavours that can improve their lives and wellbeing.

If you're a young person and you work in a private school, I beg you, have different plans for yourself and set targets for the duration you wish to work in the school, if you don't want your life to become wasted. There is no career growth in Nigerian private schools. The highest that will be offered you when you work for 10/12 years is the post of a principal/headmaster/headmistress and with a salary of 70k - 80k. After that, what happens? Of course, you can't be promoted to occupy the school owner's position.

Dem say 'dey do am till better job come, dey do am till better job come, na so Brother Okrimona take turn 58 years for inside teaching job.

that your last statement so, as funny as e seems, d tin too go hit person deep down…. Time Dey, time Dey, na so person don Dey near retirement so….. na wa o. Make God give son of man the needed courage to take the needful step

3 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by placeofallure(f): 6:20pm On Aug 29, 2023
Nazgul:
Don't blame them. Aside school fees, which some students don't even pay, there's nothing coming into the school's account and they don't receive any funding from the government, despite paying so much for accreditation and other operating fees.

Those holiday lessons you see them organizing are merely to raise funds for the continuous day-to-day running of the school.

Everyone including the owner of the school whom you're working for, doesn't expect you to build your career there. It's just a place to manage pending when you get something much better, that's why there's no career growth cos I doubt if you'll see anyone who has spent above 10 years working in a private school most especially in a city.

I know of one actually where there are people who have worked for 35 years, 28, 30, 25 etc. They have a pension scheme too, leave allowances and bonuses, several on-the-job trainings and a cooperative society that has survived decades. You are not exactly overworked but every other thing wrong with a private school is wrong with them.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 29, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Wrong advice.

If it's good, stay long enough until you master it and can be an expert. Besides, long is ambiguous so I will suggest you stay long enough till you become an expert at it just like every job or professional.

Jumping around from one place or professional to another is not a sign that you are really good, it's a sign that you're not stable in your focus and can be easily taken away. No employer like those kind of prospective employee.

There's a lot you learn when you devote time and self discipline to become an expert in what you do. If you don't stay long there's no way you can attain minimum of 10,000 hours to become an expert.
what are you saying oga

3 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by CaptainFM1: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
Rapmoney:

You cannot quantify/estimate the value of the knowledge and experience you will get there until you open your own school. No knowledge is a waste.

Having said that, I suppose the teachers would be paid also for the holiday coaching services.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Reality3080: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
cozy7:
U make total sense. I wasted 16 yrs of my life teaching. The moment I saw an opportunity to leave, I grabbed it n ran as fast as my legs could carry me. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN TEACHING IS DEATH!
16 years bros?

U over try, I no do reach 2 years cos then I was just managing it cos I was preparing to japa

As japa no click like this I japa comot d school I no look back
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by salem1996: 6:33pm On Aug 29, 2023
AImiron:
Nah modern day slavery, na the school owners Dey chop money, while the teachers are experience 2nd tier level of poverty. I wonder how they survive during holidays.

Where u see this meme na grin grin I been deh look for am and nairaland sef con leave am for Bush. Thank you for bringing it back kiss
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by AImiron: 6:39pm On Aug 29, 2023
salem1996:

Where u see this meme na grin grin I been deh look for am and nairaland sef con leave am for Bush. Thank you for bringing it back kiss
lol bro, I think I save it on X
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jokerman(m): 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
I think most parents are also the problem.

They want to pay 10k for school fees, and expect the best 😬

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by King125007(m): 6:46pm On Aug 29, 2023
God don save you sir
Average9jaman:

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by laidima88(m): 6:48pm On Aug 29, 2023
As an educationist, this is my take

The only solution to this peanut salary is to expel all non educationist from teaching line, after they study one useless course with no job, they will later litter all teaching jobs desperately accepting peanuts. We don't want every tom, dick and harry in education.
Imagine only limited professionals in teaching line, employers won't have a choice than to accept their offer but presently even teachers are more than the teaching jobs.

If u don't study education pls don't come to teaching line, u people are the cause of what teachers and education is experiencing currently

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by King125007(m): 6:50pm On Aug 29, 2023
Hello sir

You obviously missed the point the Writer was trying to make

If u DN reach before or have a friend or siblings doing this private school teaching work you will definitely
FreeStuffsNG:
Don understand 't get me wrong. I am not saying that working in a private school is bad. What I am saying is that as a young person, don't stay too long on the job. Lest you waste your life.

Wrong advice.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by meedoLock(m): 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2023
I can relate to this thread, but what Op fail to realize is that this is africa, and there are no provisions for summer holidays for any teacher, though depending on the level and how established a school is.

Firstly, a school business is very competitive, thanks to govt school inadequacy....and you can satisfy ur curiosity by counting the numbers of private school in your immediate environment alone. If a school decided to close down the school during the holiday, other schools will enroll their students for holiday coaching, and from there, your guess is as good as mine.

Secondly, teachers get to fix holiday coaching by themselves as some schools don't pay during the holiday, it's a case of get paid as you work and you still have to sort for income somewhere while you are idle as a teacher no matter how little it is.

These are many factors to all these than meet the eyes. On teachers staying too long in teaching, until this country is fixed to the point that people could have more enabling atmosphere to innovate and improvise their endeavours, people will need to survive for as long as it take them to get better things doing.

In summary, it is ascertain that private sectors are the biggest employer in Nigeria, not govt and private schools are arguably the most of them. Let me stop here............ Qudos to ōp anyway, this is educative

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by tragergeorge(m): 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2023
incogni2o:
Honestly speaking.

Worst part is the peanut Salary
My dear private sectors is the major problem of 9ja
Their under payment contribute to the large percentage of unemployment in this country
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by WriterX(m): 7:00pm On Aug 29, 2023
My gf had a distasteful experience here she went from class room teaching to been , a secretary ,as well as the hostel mother and to clearing and cutting grass same time for 30k
In the end she was sacked with no pay even when she completed an entire month because she raised her voice over the maltreated of some senior staff, I was terribly angry and sad.

I know there are some good ones really but really, private schools can be very draining.

1 Like

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by owoeye2: 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jokerman:
I think most parents are also the problem.

They want to pay 10k for school fees, and expect the best 😬

This is the fact. How much salary do you expect school owners to pay teachers when parents peanuts as school fees?
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by zicoraads: 7:05pm On Aug 29, 2023
The problem with some of you, and I see a lot on this thread, is that you don't have what it takes to be at the top of the food chain. These daily topics have becoming nauseating to be honest.

Granted, there are lots of schools that pay peanuts, but there are also lots that pay very good, and give their teachers breaks all the time.

A friend got a job in one and the starting salary was 300k, with 400k annual rent. I know a lot where starting salary is 100k, with annual rent of 200k. This is in addition to staff trainings, breakfasts, medical subsidy, leave, etc. It may not be like tech and other industries, but I think it's an OK salary.

The truth is almost every profession has those who are at the top, and those at the bottom. But some of you are either too lazy, or not good enough to be at the top of the food chain. Instead of these constant complaints, do your research, build yourself and apply to these good schools.

After all, na human beings like una dey still work for there.

5 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by brainhgeek(m): 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2023
The story is not the same everywhere. I am into the academics. My pay is in hundreds of thousands, I had a summer break from 29th of June till yesterday, 28th of August and I have been put on the list of staff to go for a training outside Nigeria. All expense paid. I can say I make a decent living from teaching, however , I understand that it is a nightmare for most teachers in Nigeria, ran by Nigerian owners.
My sincerest pray is that God makes a better way for everyone who is labouring on other people's children and not getting a fair treatment for the labour. There is no sweeter payback than ditching 'slave-making' employers for those who are ready to pay for every worth of your sweat.
I also advise that teachers should upgrade their skills. There are free online courses you can take and webinars where you can get certificate of participation for.
Lastly, no matter what you do, let Abuja schools be the least on your list. My experience with them is horrible. Those guys are capitalists and will lay claim on every breath, every second and everything called freedom that comes to you. Just a few of them are really international and have staff welfare at the back of their minds.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by zicoraads: 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2023
BreconHills:

No two schools are alike. And you need to see things from the perspective of both the employee and the school. My wife owns a 300 child pre and primary school on the mainland so I think I can give some perspective here.

Our teachers are paid a full salary through the holidays - in fact teachers received pay throughout covid 19 because we have a robust online platform and we parents could pick up free fun activity flash drives and drop off hard copy assignments in decontaminated containers.

Most schools run summer schools. Parents continue to work through the holidays and many of them need/desire that their children are engaged. Most summer schools are "learning through fun" oriented. So topics are like painting, robotics, tie and dye, dance. We even got a nollywood director and shot a 15 minute film that's on the internet. It's fun.

If you don't run summer school your parents will take them somewhere else thst does - so you have to be thick or incredibly unstrategic to not have a good summer school.

Teachers get 2.5 weeks off on a rota basis. Some non teaching staff have had the whole summer off. Our teachers come in three days before commencement to decorate their classes. They are paid in full throughout.

Regarding salary, it really depends on where you are, your cost base and the kind of fees you can charge. Entry level teachers start here on 80k and senior teachers are on 150k plus 60% of private lesson done on premise. If they have extra curricular skills we keep that income in house and pay the teacher. Our post subsidy pay rise is between 10-30k depending on tenure. This excludes 100% HMO for all staff. Our head teacher earns 200k plus end of year bonus. And believe me we are not the highest salary payers.

I think it's grossly unfair to tar all private schools with the same brush. There are many good school owners out there and of course each teacher has to evaluate the school before taking employment. If the terms are onerous become a private lesson teacher or find another school or career line. Simple.

Modified: some of our teachers teach our Japa pupils online and get paid in USD. We are fully aware and they keep 100% of such revenue. In these modern times, teachers must be dynamic and innovative. Not to add that with the UK visa policy it is an avenue to travel and work abroad.
Bless you.

Continue treating your teachers well.

Your school sounds so much like one I know. Although the one I know is a secondary school with way better working conditions and pay.

If you don't mind my asking; did you do any in-house workshop this end of session?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OAU Law Students Defy Odds To Win On Debut At Indian Competition / Whitemoney, Pere, Angel & Liquorose On DELSU Exam Question / You Remember Short Hand From Business Studies? How Has It Helped You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.