Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,478 members, 7,830,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Religious Differences In Marriage - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Religious Differences In Marriage (11595 Views)

Religious Differences Just Cost Me My Relationship / Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences / A Lady's Reply To A Guy Who Asked For Her Hand In Marriage On WhatsApp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by phemmyfour: 1:49pm On Sep 03, 2023
Starzzy:
Do you think religious differences is a big factor in marriage?

Personally, I tend to lean towards atheism and I may end up with a devout Christian. What's the possibility of having a smooth marriage without issues relating to religion?

I also do not want my children to be religiously brainwashed. In this part of the world, its really hard to find a female atheist.

I can cope with this, but the problem is if my future wife would be able to cope too.

I was having a conversation with a girl the other day and she said that one of the things she looks out for in a guy is being a strong Christian.

She advised I look for a Caucasian but I'm not buying into the Caucasian stuff because I'm not cut out for that and the chances are remote. And then, she let me know that if I should go for a Christian, her pastor might be an obstacle to us getting married.

Currently, I'm flowing well with this Christian girl and would love to settle down with her.

Those who have faced this challenge should contribute to the discourse. Those who are of a different religions with their spouse should tell us how they manage to cope.
It is, especially when you start having kids.

Which religion are you going to train them with
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by okunwaye(m): 1:52pm On Sep 03, 2023
I can't cohabit with religious fellows 😕
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by mariahAngel(f): 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2023
Starzzy:

Personally, I tend to lean towards atheism and I may end up with a devout Christian. What's the possibility of having a smooth marriage without issues relating to religion?

I also do not want my children to be religiously brainwashed. In this part of the world, its really hard to find a female atheist.

I can cope with this, but the problem is if my future wife would be able to cope too.

I was having a conversation with a girl the other day and she said that one of the things she looks out for in a guy is being a strong Christian.

She advised I look for a Caucasian but I'm not buying into the Caucasian stuff because I'm not cut out for that and the chances are remote. And then, she let me know that if I should go for a Christian, her pastor might be an obstacle to us getting married.

Currently, I'm flowing well with this Christian girl and would love to settle down with her.

Those who have faced this challenge should contribute to the discourse. Those who are of a different religions with their spouse should tell us how they manage to cope.

Is the christian girl aware that you're an atheist?
It's better you let her know, if you've not.
Don't trick her into marrying you, then tomorrow, you'll start complaining about her prayer and spiritual life.
See, you're already even deciding about the children, what you will or won't allow.

Is it that you're planning to conform her?

If you don't mind me asking; why do atheist guys often (if not always) go after Christian girls?

1 Like

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by yemi1504: 2:11pm On Sep 03, 2023
talented321:
The problem with the relegion folks is the moment you tell them you don't believe in their religions they immediately tag u a devil, bad man or criminal. My man the rate at which our people are brainwashed they now think without their religion your marriage, business or life will not prosper and it is will bad. This people don't know that success don't have anything to do with religion rather it is hard work and connection..
I think there are women who are ready to marry if you don't force your atheism on them 100%, but as for me i don't like any woman who behave as if all her life and success depend on the church.

Most Nigerians are only just religious! Most of them's lives do not reflect the mentors of their religion anyways.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Minsk24: 2:18pm On Sep 03, 2023
Dennisbulkan:

Lol, daydreamer. You must think Life/marriage is some kind of soap opera or Bollywood. I doubt you have ever been in any serious relationship. grin
This is working for me...its not easy, but it works

1 Like

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Minsk24: 2:22pm On Sep 03, 2023
Entanglement:
then go marry a man undecided
Do you think women are rationale thinking and logically minded species? If you say yes then you are living a fantasy life! angry

What you just wrote are the basics ecologic structure of a male species and not that of a woman

Bro it is working for me....
The key point is open mindedness....once there's open mind, it provides a platform to look at other point of view without letting it rattle ur emotions...
Every christain ,no matter how brainwashed or fanatic know say e get somethings that do not add up, but because of close mind, they will not entertain any alternative view without their emotions rising and voiding them away from logic...
Simply put, have an open minded woman, u guys will get along....
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by franchasofficia: 2:22pm On Sep 03, 2023
Starzzy:

Two can never work together unless they agree.

Humans are shaped by their belief, and most of human beliefs are religious.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by sharone21(f): 2:25pm On Sep 03, 2023
Just hook up with one Russian girl, that is your best option as many Nigerians are religious.

When 2 people of different religions marry they birth confused children who may at the end pick any of the religions or become agnostic or atheistic.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Chetas81(m): 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2023
THOSE WHO BRING THE RELIGION TO YOU ARE NOT LIVE LIKE THIS
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Jedi777(m): 3:26pm On Sep 03, 2023
Arrant Nonsense...You have definitely been brainwashed 😂
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by alfarouq(m): 4:27pm On Sep 03, 2023
idady2njsd:
i am muslim and my wife is a christian, we re leaving in peace and hormony she goes to her while i go to my mosques the only issued we always have is about the children, but we never fought over the issued, we always talks about the matter, very soon we will come to conclusion. i love my wife she love me as well

Hmn. Marriege is not just for you but for your children. The greatest debt every muslim father owe his children is a righteaous mother that will teach them and enxourage them in path of the rasul( S. A.W). Can your wife give that?

Unless you yourself have not completely submitted to Allah, I seeno reason why you will marry out of your faith unless the person is reverting.

The stories of most that have chosen this your path is regret at the later stages of their lives, I pray that wont be your portion. You have failed your children in the choice of mum for them, I hope you will not fail them further when all or some of them end up going astray.

May Allah grant you strenght but brother, you have one of the most complicated tasks amongst people of the world presently, I pray you suceed.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by ettaetta(m): 4:55pm On Sep 03, 2023
900warriorz:
As a Christian, follow that which is written..

2 Corinthians 6:14 BE YE NOT UNEQUALLY YOKED TOGETHER WITH UNBELIEVERS: FOR WHAT FELLOWSHIP HATH RIGHTEOUSNESS WITH UNRIGHTEOUSNESS? AND WHAT COMMUNION HATH LIGHT WITH DARKNESS?

Happy Sunday grin

always quick to quote this verse, if God really wanted us to hate unbelievers why did he command us to love our neighbours as ourselves, what if your neighbour is an unbeliever? how can you show love by isolating without being yoked together
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by ettaetta(m): 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2023
alfarouq:

The stories of most that have chosen this your path is regret at the later stages of their lives, I pray that wont be your portion. You have failed your children in the choice of mum for them,

what about the stories we also hear about muslim people who married someone of their faith yet the marriage still failed?
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Dennisbulkan: 5:14pm On Sep 03, 2023
Minsk24:

This is working for me...its not easy, but it works
Glad it's working for you, bro

1 Like

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by capacino(m): 5:31pm On Sep 03, 2023
My ex who last visited in January and then blocked me on all platforms, said cuz of our beliefs she had to leave me for a church guy though they've don her dirty in terms of serving her breakfast in the name of god.

She attends MFM and I on the other hand is just researching African spirituality and respecting the ancestors, wonder how thinks of me as worshiping the devil.

It is hard finding a Nigerian woman who has been decolonized and her mind emancipated from religious dogma and indoctrination.

1 Like

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by alfarouq(m): 6:18pm On Sep 03, 2023
ettaetta:

what about the stories we also hear about muslim people who married someone of their faith yet the marriage still failed?

You misunderstood the failure I am refering to. The failure I am talking about is the failure in the afterlife which is eternal not the failure on earth which is temporary
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Geesaintagape: 8:02pm On Sep 03, 2023
Know what u want simple.
My wife is Jehovah witness and I'm a free thinker and we are moving smoothly
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Islamisformumu: 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2023
You're actually living a lie, because no true Christian would ever lower themselves by being yoked in matrimony to a perditissimi which is what you are as a MOOslim.
The Bible is very clear on this.

2nd Corinthians 6:14

Do not become unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

idady2njsd:
i am muslim and my wife is a christian, we re leaving in peace and hormony she goes to her while i go to my mosques the only issued we always have is about the children, but we never fought over the issued, we always talks about the matter, very soon we will come to conclusion. i love my wife she love me as well
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by 900warriorz: 11:14pm On Sep 03, 2023
Krisdan:

Is the Muslims d darkness?
grin grin grin thou hast said it..
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by 900warriorz: 11:15pm On Sep 03, 2023
ettaetta:

always quick to quote this verse, if God really wanted us to hate unbelievers why did he command us to love our neighbours as ourselves, what if your neighbour is an unbeliever? how can you show love by isolating without being yoked together
To every rule, there are implied and express terms. There are also exceptions so do not just interpret literally..
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Gerrard59(m): 11:42pm On Sep 03, 2023
ednut1:
Why not marry a fellow atheist There are many atheists or agnostic babes in Nigeria or of Nigerian descent. They are mostly online sha grin

My belief is that such ladies are first grade feminists and fit be witch sef grin
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by seeteazain(m): 1:32pm On Sep 04, 2023
Reminderz:

I will speak to you from an Islamic point of view... generally speaking, there are many genuine reasons why Islam frowns on such marriages... unless she converted to your religion, then Islam frowns at marrying an unbeliever in the Deen... and it's quite a good reason as well...

supposedly you died before her, all your kids will revert back to her religion, and in the sight of your Lord, this is a grave misconduct , all this i love you, she loves you won't save you... when you're choosing a partner, you're not only choosing for yourself, but for your kids and their future...

even if God spare your life, your kids might end up confused and might later revert back to her own religion, and this might break your heart..children mostly generally incline themselves to what their women follows, this is why you should be very careful who you choose to be your wife.. you might not be the one who takes the Deen seriously, but if you fear for your own future and theirs, you would fear for the outcome... that's if you're truly God fearing or you fear His wrath.. but if you're one of those claiming woke muslims, then I have nothing to say to you... and since your wife is not inclined towards your religion, do you know the outcome and consequences when it comes to willing or sharing property when you're no longer on this earth?

you're one of the men who thinks emotionally, you're not the first person to fall in love and won't be the last.... some of the ones greater than your love ended in divorce, so have you thought of this possibility and the effects it will have on your kids?? or na still I love you, she love me too?? now you seems blinded by love, all this will seem like nonsense to you, but e go soon clear for your eyes...

from your story, it seems you guys still have issues on which religion your kids should themselves adapt to, this is just the beginning of the problem, that love go soon clear for your eyes when you're asked to account for that decision you took years back... maybe not in this life, but in the next...

even if you're a idol worshipper, find another idol worshipper to marry or someone who's ready to convert to what you believe in... when it comes to marriage, leave emotions out of it and think logically before you dive in... love is not what sustain marriages... the risks is much greater than the illusions of enjoyment in it... find someone who aligns with your interests and beliefs for your own peace of mind and for the future of your kids...

apart from religion, marry someone who aligns with your interests and dreams... even if it's the person occupation... if you know your wife is an actress, then you should know all the things involved in being an actress, don't come out crying when she starts kissing random people on screen and eventually cheat on you and make you father another man's kids... religion is not the only thing that should be taken seriously, there are many other things as well, marriage is not a joke... it's better to be single than dive into marriage while leaving your brain behind... love won't save you when problem arrives... love is just the emotion to attract people to each other, not the emotion needed for a successful relationship, and the thing is that most people can't differentiate between love and lust, and that will be the cause of their downfall...

Back it up with relevant verses or hadiths
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Reminderz: 1:38pm On Sep 04, 2023
seeteazain:

Back it up with relevant verses or hadiths
Qur'an 2 v 221
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by DonroxyII: 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2023
Starzzy:

For the sake of Your Children Kindly Marry fellow atheists ....

Their DNA would be affected other than their psychology/psychiatry.... Except You will Convert their Mama to Atheism which Might Be difficult depending on her emotional attachment to you ....

The Children would be born with Genetic identity problem & shall be raised By M.yopi.cally Stu.pid Dad & Possibly Brainwashed Mom in a Loopsided Worlds ....

Chaiii, I Pity them in Advance ...
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Brandiebird: 4:44am On Sep 06, 2023
Reminderz:

Qur'an 2 v 221

I respect the way you carry yourself. You know not to react to everything that makes noise.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by jogsman01(m): 5:24am On Sep 06, 2023
Reminderz:

I will speak to you from an Islamic point of view... generally speaking, there are many genuine reasons why Islam frowns on such marriages... unless she converted to your religion, then Islam frowns at marrying an unbeliever in the Deen... and it's quite a good reason as well...

supposedly you died before her, all your kids will revert back to her religion, and in the sight of your Lord, this is a grave misconduct , all this i love you, she loves you won't save you... when you're choosing a partner, you're not only choosing for yourself, but for your kids and their future...

even if God spare your life, your kids might end up confused and might later revert back to her own religion, and this might break your heart..children mostly generally incline themselves to what their women follows, this is why you should be very careful who you choose to be your wife.. you might not be the one who takes the Deen seriously, but if you fear for your own future and theirs, you would fear for the outcome... that's if you're truly God fearing or you fear His wrath.. but if you're one of those claiming woke muslims, then I have nothing to say to you... and since your wife is not inclined towards your religion, do you know the outcome and consequences when it comes to willing or sharing property when you're no longer on this earth?

you're one of the men who thinks emotionally, you're not the first person to fall in love and won't be the last.... some of the ones greater than your love ended in divorce, so have you thought of this possibility and the effects it will have on your kids?? or na still I love you, she love me too?? now you seems blinded by love, all this will seem like nonsense to you, but e go soon clear for your eyes...

from your story, it seems you guys still have issues on which religion your kids should themselves adapt to, this is just the beginning of the problem, that love go soon clear for your eyes when you're asked to account for that decision you took years back... maybe not in this life, but in the next...

even if you're a idol worshipper, find another idol worshipper to marry or someone who's ready to convert to what you believe in... when it comes to marriage, leave emotions out of it and think logically before you dive in... love is not what sustain marriages... the risks is much greater than the illusions of enjoyment in it... find someone who aligns with your interests and beliefs for your own peace of mind and for the future of your kids...

apart from religion, marry someone who aligns with your interests and dreams... even if it's the person occupation... if you know your wife is an actress, then you should know all the things involved in being an actress, don't come out crying when she starts kissing random people on screen and eventually cheat on you and make you father another man's kids... religion is not the only thing that should be taken seriously, there are many other things as well, marriage is not a joke... it's better to be single than dive into marriage while leaving your brain behind... love won't save you when problem arrives... love is just the emotion to attract people to each other, not the emotion needed for a successful relationship, and the thing is that most people can't differentiate between love and lust, and that will be the cause of their downfall...
Pele ooo, Baba adeen abi na adrenaline. I'm a Christian and my wife is a Muslim. She goes to mosque while I go to church. She asked if our son can go to Ile kewu and I told her it's her choice and decision for now, but when he grow up, he will be the one to decide which religion he want to practice.
My brother, this religion is what's killing us and it has always been a veil on the face of the ignoramus. Because your religion says you shouldn't marry blacks doesn't mean the whites are the best. The question you should ask yourself is: what do I believe? Your belief is your religion not what was written by someone. The Bible and Qur'an is just a guide but most people take it like a constitutional book which I believe is very wrong. As a Christian, a pastor can't tell me to do something cos the Bible says so. I will just ignore him, lobatan.
Leave the man alone cos love conquers all. If his wife his ready to practice his religion, it's all well and good. And if he decides to practice his wife's religion, it's his choice as long as the love still exists.

1 Like

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Ugovin12(m): 8:05am On Sep 06, 2023
I think it's a very big problem

I'm a Catholic and my girlfriend is a pentecostal, her father is a pastor, we agreed to settle down together but when she told her step mum because her mum is late, the step mum said I will never marry her because I'm a Catholic and the father supported her.
It's too bad and heartbroken 💔
I never believed even christians would still fight one another to this extent

It's being very difficult for me to forget her because I so much love her

I'm really dying of heartbreak 💔

1 Like

Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by tollyboy5(m): 8:16am On Sep 06, 2023
Reminderz:

So he should get divorced from someone he shares same language and tradition with because you're angry?
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by tollyboy5(m): 8:21am On Sep 06, 2023
sharone21:
Just hook up with one Russian girl, that is your best option as many Nigerians are religious.

When 2 people of different religions marry they birth confused children who may at the end pick any of the religions or become agnostic or atheistic.
hmm.. Word! but the agnostic and atheist pose lesser danger to the community and are free spirited when it comes to religious tolerance. IS that not better?
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by tollyboy5(m): 8:29am On Sep 06, 2023
Islamisformumu:
You're actually living a lie, because no true Christian would ever lower themselves by being yoked in matrimony to a perditissimi which is what you are as a MOOslim.
The Bible is very clear on this.

2nd Corinthians 6:14

Do not become unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Ok sir. She has decided not to take apostle paul advice. She has moved on with her peaceful marriage grin grin grin grin grin

Many believers fail to see why this command from the Apostle Paul is so important. Others disregard it completely. Let's take a look at this verse using different versions of Scripture.
Not all believers take the apostle Paul advice or command serious because their happiness and peace of mind is more important to them.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by Islamisformumu: 10:54am On Sep 06, 2023
Ignoring Biblical advice is a sign of unbelief and evidence of a fallen state of faith. Right from the beginning Christians have been forbidden from entering into marriage with the condemned of this world.

tollyboy5:

Ok sir. She has decided not to take apostle paul advice. She has moved on with her peaceful marriage grin grin grin grin grin

Not all believers take the apostle Paul advice or command serious because their happiness and peace of mind is more important to them.
Re: Religious Differences In Marriage by tollyboy5(m): 10:59am On Sep 06, 2023
Islamisformumu:
Ignoring Biblical advice is a sign of unbelief and evidence of a fallen state of faith. Right from the beginning Christians have been forbidden from entering into marriage with the condemned of this world.

You mean apostle paul advice in the bible lol. You should apply wisdom to whatever you do man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

..... / How Do Married Men manage thier Wives With loosed vagina (Big Farmland)? / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.