Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Is It Safe For Drinking? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Safe For Drinking? (35740 Views)

Corona Virus: Is It Safe To Order Stuff From AliExpress? / See Why Sachet (pure) Water Is Not Safe For Drinking (pictures) / FG Sets Quality Standard For Drinking Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Nazgul: 9:30pm On Sep 02, 2023
Do people still drink borehole directly from the ground in this age?

4 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by ExtremeDot: 9:30pm On Sep 02, 2023
No
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by jgbemson1: 9:30pm On Sep 02, 2023
The water is safe ...because is been pump down the land surface.

But for the soakaway that is full ..you people living inside the apartment can arrange to pack the soakaway why waiting for the caretaker.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by JetApartment: 9:31pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:
Good afternoon nairalander, pls in my apartment, the bore hole is sunk besides the soakaway and now the soakaway is full, and the water is usually coming out especially during the raining season. I want to ask that is it safe to drink the water. Though we have been drinking it since I got there around 2019 but now the soakaway is full and the caretaker has refused to do the needfull

This mod dey para ooo grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Tolupage(m): 9:34pm On Sep 02, 2023
Kinda think it is safe.

A standard borehole should at least be 30m deep. While a soak away should around 2m.

When water percolates, it tends to take out impurities so I feel if the borehole is safe although this should not become a regular practice

11 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Alvin212(m): 9:34pm On Sep 02, 2023
emoboy4u:
E no go pass Lagos

Looks like Ekiti state
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by tamdun: 9:37pm On Sep 02, 2023
U are drinking sh*t bro grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by itzzkhaliii(m): 9:38pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:
Good afternoon nairalander, pls in my apartment, the bore hole is sunk besides the soakaway and now the soakaway is full, and the water is usually coming out especially during the raining season. I want to ask that is it safe to drink the water. Though we have been drinking it since I got there around 2019 but now the soakaway is full and the caretaker has refused to do the needfull

This is Kaduna Join me to explore the city,don't forget to like and subscribe as well for more educating Videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJX4_RAMCpA?si=q0DFeW30dT0apFQC
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by dennisworld1(m): 9:39pm On Sep 02, 2023
But wait nah caretaker shit dey inside d pit

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by phemmyfour: 9:41pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:
The plumber that put borehole closed to soakaway is drunk

3 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Myer(m): 9:41pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:

With good engineering/plumbing, it should be safe. But judging by the attached pic, not so encouraging.

In Nigeria, not sure we have potable water. Don't even advice any borehole water for drinking except you're truly lucky. Pure water is advisaeabe. Even then not all pure water is pure.lol God save us all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by chiboycue: 9:43pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:

No. The water is not safe for drinking. The water is not also good for domestic use. The water may be loaded and contaminated by human or animal faeces, which contain pathogenic microorganisms. You at risk of contacting water borne diseases.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Elsueno: 9:46pm On Sep 02, 2023
Tenants sha, always waiting for landlord or caretaker to come pack Thier own sh*t for them grin , despite not wanting to pay rent on time or even take kindly to price increase that would accommodate packing Thier shyt yearly cheesy.....

The properties I look after, I make sure the thing is well sealed, so even if it's full na them go surfer well well, cause immediately them flush, d sh*t go return back to Thier toilet bowls instead of going down. They pack thier own shyt nowadays since I removed it from d new agreement as at 2021

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by kenny714433(m): 9:47pm On Sep 02, 2023
Don't mind those advising you to drink if the borehole is deep o.

The water from soak away seeps downwards to meet with water table which is pumped up to the tank. That's why it is always recommended the two components are 10m apart.

If they are that close, note that the soil layers filters the water that seeps down but the bacteria are still there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by 96ACE: 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2023
Shitty living
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by nasbidemi(m): 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2023
File a case in the court.
Or report to the nearby sanitary department.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Judolisco(m): 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2023
Depends on Hw deep d borehole is... If its not deep enough... Na shit water dem dey drink 4 dat huz
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Cmanforall: 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2023
Hedgefunds:

You want Caretaker to park your faeces, cooking waste and Urine?

Soon your Dustin will be Full and you will expect caretaker to come park it as well.

Why are some human senseless .
Many people didn't read the last part of OP post

nasbidemi:
File a case in the court.
Or report to the nearby sanitary department.

Is this supposed to be an advice?

Princejydo:

This last part shows the kind of tenant you are...

It seems you start complaining now that you have used your faeces to overload the septic tank.
Will you accept it if the caretaker adds the cost of evacuating your faeces to the rent?

This could be caretaker's responsibility depending on how much your rent is. Can you tell us how much the rent there is?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Kenmatt(m): 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2023
I didn't go through.

Even the bole hole it self isn't safe for drinking.

You can use it for house chores and others but not for drinking.

Most of the Plumbers that collect the contract especially in Portharcourt can not dig more than one hundred and thirty feet (130ft) which isn't safe at all.

They will always avoid hitting 150ft and beneath so that they won't jam the hard rock, where as it's this hard rock that if they hit through it, you can then be close to getting a good water.

One told me one day that should they try to go beyond that, it will affect their tools and sink their drilling pipe.

The funny thing is that, they will tell you that they are digging 150 or 160ft, they will come to the Site with about 16 Pipes that they will use to deceive you that each of the Pipes is 10ft, that they are digging 160 ft for you.

Typhoid is common in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 02, 2023
You guys are playing with some serious diseases, especially cholera. It's not even safe to have soakaway and boreholes in the same compound. But government failure has caused everyone to become their own utility company. Even at that, how come they built both side by side. Was your landlord sleeping when it was done? Or was he the one that instructed them to do it that way?

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Garkuwacrc(m): 9:57pm On Sep 02, 2023
Hydrogeologically, There may be a possibility of bacterial contamination if the well is close to toilet or waste disposal. However, the minimum distance between the well and refuse disposal is 50m.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Bluffly: 9:58pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:

Na caretaker shit for the soak away abi Una dey pay for service charges. Una no serious, make Una no go pack una shit. Yeye dey smell

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Treasure17(m): 9:59pm On Sep 02, 2023
You are playing with your health op. Irrespective the condition of the soak away right now, you should not have sourced your water right beside it. This is dangerous. To make it worse, you've been drinking it since you moved in..Haa.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by olalekan1(m): 10:03pm On Sep 02, 2023
Water flows according to slope. The water in soak away will flow according to the slope, a standard borehole should be more than 100m. No pathogens can survive that depth if at all the water from the soak away did not flow according to the slope. For the soak away to get filled up, it means the water from soak away is not sinking into the earth perhaps The soak away does not have a waste for draining excess water.

Another thing that protect borehole water from impurities from the surrounding earth is the casing, the casing for a standard borehole should be like 25m or more depending on the topography of the land.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by beejay85: 10:05pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:
It depends on d topography of ur area of residence....if it's not a swampy area then d borehole must have been at least 40m deep...of course the septic tank won't be deeper than 12ft..
So no mixture of sewage and water in any way
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by bassdow: 10:10pm On Sep 02, 2023
kjnk
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by bassdow: 10:10pm On Sep 02, 2023
BoreHole ought to be at least minimum of 8feet to 10feet away from soak-away
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by TheSuperX(m): 10:11pm On Sep 02, 2023
Ewww
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by gr8child(m): 10:12pm On Sep 02, 2023
What do you think?
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by scholes23(m): 10:13pm On Sep 02, 2023
It's not even advisable to have a borehole beside a soakaway
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by pongwa(m): 10:14pm On Sep 02, 2023
Princejydo:
don't be ignorant, do biological and chemical test on your water.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Flood Overtakes Federal Medical Centre Otuoke, Bayelsa (Photo) / Hot Water Bath Or Cold Water Bath? Which One Is Better? / Beware Of These Banned Food Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.