Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,082 members, 7,821,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Is It Safe For Drinking? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Safe For Drinking? (35738 Views)

Corona Virus: Is It Safe To Order Stuff From AliExpress? / See Why Sachet (pure) Water Is Not Safe For Drinking (pictures) / FG Sets Quality Standard For Drinking Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by eteebanky: 7:22am On Sep 03, 2023
Try and empty that septic tank as soon as possible, you expect the landlord to do the needful lol, just dy play

I can't imagine the stench that will be coming out from that sockaway right now, you dy also use smell kill your neighbors
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by qtx(m): 7:33am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:
Good afternoon nairalander, pls in my apartment, the bore hole is sunk besides the soakaway and now the soakaway is full, and the water is usually coming out especially during the raining season. I want to ask that is it safe to drink the water. Though we have been drinking it since I got there around 2019 but now the soakaway is full and the caretaker has refused to do the needfull
Capital NOOOOOO
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Kingsley123456(m): 7:34am On Sep 03, 2023
The dept of the Borehole should be way far from Soak away, the borehole is also cased down or not, If it's cased down, you are safe 100%

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Tealcrestmedia(m): 7:41am On Sep 03, 2023
Typhoid will so deal with you.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by adecz: 7:42am On Sep 03, 2023
Very unsafe❗️❗️😷😷

In fact you have all being drinking
shhit flavored water and most of you
should be regularly having stomach
problems 🤢🤢🤢🤒

Typhoid and other dangerous ailment
are gradually building up In your system.

Landlord no try at all.☹️
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by premier79(m): 7:50am On Sep 03, 2023
kenny714433:
Don't mind those advising you to drink if the borehole is deep o.

The water from soak away seeps downwards to meet with water table which is pumped up to the tank. That's why it is always recommended the two components are 10m apart.

If they are that close, note that the soil layers filters the water that seeps down but the bacteria are still there.
Bacteria are still there but for very deep borehole Bacteria cannot thrive because of the absence of oxygen in other words Bacteria cannot not survive at high depth in the oxygen defence environment.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Sleekfingers: 8:01am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:
Good afternoon nairalander, pls in my apartment, the bore hole is sunk besides the soakaway and now the soakaway is full, and the water is usually coming out especially during the raining season. I want to ask that is it safe to drink the water. Though we have been drinking it since I got there around 2019 but now the soakaway is full and the caretaker has refused to do the needfull

1. It is really safe for drinking. You guys will start looking fresh and chubby for cheeks.

2. The caretaker should come and help you guys pack the soakaway. Very soon una go call the caretaker to come and pack una wastebin.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by badonkadonk: 8:08am On Sep 03, 2023
Kenmatt:
I didn't go through.

Even the bole hole it self isn't safe for drinking.

You can use it for house chores and others but not for drinking.

Most of the Plumbers that collect the contract especially in Portharcourt can not dig more than one hundred and thirty feet (130ft) which isn't safe at all.

They will always avoid hitting 150ft and beneath so that they won't jam the hard rock, where as it's this hard rock that if they hit through it, you can then be close to getting a good water.

One told me one day that should they try to go beyond that, it will affect their tools and sink their drilling pipe.

The funny thing is that, they will tell you that they are digging 150 or 160ft, they will come to the Site with about 16 Pipes that they will use to deceive you that each of the Pipes is 10ft, that they are digging 160 ft for you.

Typhoid is common in Nigeria.

This is very informative. They did our borehole for us with manual technique and I was surprised, how manual fit break the hard rock wey my geography teach me say u need sophisticated methods to break it...
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by frozen70(f): 8:13am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

I think the best option is to gather your self and dig another bore hole far from the soakaway

The remove the pumping marching in that old one and use it on the new one

Alternatively, boil the ones you use for drinking
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by FireUpNow(m): 8:24am On Sep 03, 2023
Go to o council and report or find out how safe it is
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:40am On Sep 03, 2023
Poop is safe.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Blackdisciple(m): 9:24am On Sep 03, 2023
Well if it's industrial borehole it's depth can be 100m - 500m but based on the pic it's a shallow borehole and its depth can be up to 30m- 60m pending on the geology and the underground water some you will have to dig more to get a clean and clear water. Borehole should be 10m (33ft) away from soak away as wastewater percolates through the soil from the soak pit, small particles are filtered out by the soil matrix and organics are digested by microorganisms. Thus, Soak Pits are best suited for soil with good absorptive properties; clay, hard packed or rocky soil is not appropriate.

Design Considerations
The Soak Pit should be between 1.5 and 4 m deep, and as a rule of thumb, never less than 2 m above the highest groundwater table. It should be located at a safe distance from a drinking water source. But tell me how many landlords will leave such a big space between soak away tank and borehole if the borehole should be in the same area with soak away bros commot oo except you will not use that water...
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by ChybuzzDD(m): 9:46am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

The recommended distance by the WHO between a borehole and a toilet is at least 30metres.

Yours is far less than 30m, and is quite dangerous.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by quickly: 9:57am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

I just notice that people on nairaland don’t use critical thinking .

It always advisable to boil water that comes from the soil, there is no way there would not be bacteria in it.

Secondly the soakway is in probably 6ft deep concrete . The borehole is maybe 50ft or more

There is no way soakaway water will get into the borehole unless the soakway pit is leaking or the borehole pipe is broken

Water from the bore hole
Is going from a deeper source through the pipe while the waste material in soakaway is staying within the concrete pit.

Think about it like parallel highways
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Almightyprosper: 10:38am On Sep 03, 2023
I think average tap water depth is 120m
So if it's even 80m you're safe
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Salowise: 10:48am On Sep 03, 2023
It's depends on the type of soakaway, if it's the one that looks like well then it's bad, but if it's the normal one then theirs nothing wrong with it.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by ocelot2006(m): 11:06am On Sep 03, 2023
That's a big NO NO. The borehole is too close to the soak away. That said it is your responsibility as tenants to evacuate the soak away. It is your s@#t and waste, so do the needful.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by seguno2: 11:24am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

Is this what happens when the people fail to expect those who are in public office to employ technical and administrative staff to provide pipe borne water for every building?

Why do you think that we are such failures in our communities

Potable water still luxury 23 years after return of democracy

WHILE the Federal Government continues to proliferate the country with dams, it is such an irony that a state like Lagos, with its massive, constant boast of being a megacity, cannot provide its residents, thereby forcing the bulk of them to take solace in the arms of water boreholes.

At regular intervals, the two major waterworks in the state, the Adiyan, and Iju get grounded leading to the non-availability of water. In April and May last year, for instance, they both produce less than 10% of their installed capacity.

As of today, Eti-Osa, Apapa, Victoria Island, Badagry, Ibeju Lekki, Surulere, Ikorodu, Agege, Ojo, Mushin Kosofe, and most locations in the state are without access to clean water. Consequently, millions of residents now rely on boreholes, rivers, rainwater, as well as comprised wells for their water needs.

On its website, the LWC claims that it has a total installed water production capacity of 210 million gallons per day (MGD), which is far lower than the current estimated daily water demand of 540 million gallons per day.

Also, its plan to produce 745 million gallons per day by the year 2020 through the Lagos Water Supply Master Plan fell flat with the actual number of citizens having access to potable water dropping, rather than increasing 11 years after the launch of the master plan.

A senior staff of LWC, who preferred anonymity said that at present, its agency only supplies water to Lekki, parts of Ikoyi, Victoria Island (VI), Ojodu, Iju, and some parts of Ikotun.

https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/potable-water-still-luxury-23-years-after-return-of-democracy/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Rhozabeth(m): 12:00pm On Sep 03, 2023
This is common sense! Borehole should never be sited close to a septic tan. The septic tank will of course contaminate the borehole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by seguno2: 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2023
emoboy4u:
E no go pass Lagos

The glorified ghetto of agberos

Lagos ranks amongst worst cities to live in for nine straight years

September 5, 2019

Lagos, the commercial hub of Nigeria, has been ranking as one of the worst places to live in the world for the nine straight years, a BusinessDay analysis shows.

Data from the 2019 Global Liveability Index published by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), the world’s leader in global business intelligence, shows the city has been within the range of 137th-139th position out of a total of 140 cities in the world from year 2011-2019.

https://businessday.ng/uncategorized/article/lagos-ranks-amongst-worst-cities-to-live-in-for-nine-straight-years/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Judd007: 1:03pm On Sep 03, 2023
As you are pumping the water, the suck away will be bubbling, nice one,
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by oluplus(m): 1:21pm On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:
The distance distance between soakaway and borehole location does not really matter.
It is the dept that you should be concerned about. If the borehole is very deep,
it will be difficult for coliform and other bacteria to migrate into the undeground water body.
But the scenario you painted is not hygienic. What is stopping you from contributing money to evacuate the soakaway
The smell is alone to drive you crazy.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by HazzanTazzan(m): 1:30pm On Sep 03, 2023
a standard borehole is quite deep (more than 20 times deeper than a soak away...

water comes up the borehole in a pipe and theres no way in hell the water can be contaminated even if the shit is touching the pipes.

Moreover, theres a distance for the shit to pass thru before getting to the borehole pipe and soil is a great water purifier, thus the shit will never reach the exterior of the pipe talk more of getting into the pipe.

I understand most people are ignorant of all these... they just assume the borehole water is now full of shit.

For other safety reasons and environmental reasons, your landlord shld be reported to the environmental protection agency
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by OKORONKWOBRIGHT(m): 1:53pm On Sep 03, 2023
Run oooo
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by sirblend: 2:51pm On Sep 03, 2023
badonkadonk:

This is very informative. They did our borehole for us with manual technique and I was surprised, how manual fit break the hard rock wey my geography teach me say u need sophisticated methods to break it...

I am yet to see anyone drill a borehole with manual technique here in the Northern part of the country..
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by badonkadonk: 3:10pm On Sep 03, 2023
sirblend:

I am yet to see anyone drill a borehole with manual technique here in the Northern part of the country..

It's common down south
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by cornelboy(f): 3:31pm On Sep 03, 2023
Lol if it was a well then the water is not safe. But it's a borehole, it's quite safe
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by ITbomb(m): 4:29pm On Sep 03, 2023
Most septic tank are cased, at least the shit part.
The part that is the soakaway and goes into the soil contains only waste water and does no harm
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by ITbomb(m): 4:31pm On Sep 03, 2023
Normal septic tank is even cased (fully cemented at the bottom), only the waste water part do sink into the soil
HazzanTazzan:
a standard borehole is quite deep (more than 20 times deeper than a soak away...

water comes up the borehole in a pipe and theres no way in hell the water can be contaminated even if the shit is touching the pipes.

Moreover, theres a distance for the shit to pass thru before getting to the borehole pipe and soil is a great water purifier, thus the shit will never reach the exterior of the pipe talk more of getting into the pipe.

I understand most people are ignorant of all these... they just assume the borehole water is now full of shit.

For other safety reasons and environmental reasons, your landlord shld be reported to the environmental protection agency

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Advancedman(m): 4:39pm On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

Yes they are not the same level
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Cromagnon: 7:24pm On Sep 03, 2023
dennisworld1:
But wait nah caretaker shit dey inside d pit
no be caretaker dey enjoy rent money?
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Cromagnon: 7:26pm On Sep 03, 2023
Elsueno:
Tenants sha, always waiting for landlord or caretaker to come pack Thier own sh*t for them grin , despite not wanting to pay rent on time or even take kindly to price increase that would accommodate packing Thier shyt yearly cheesy.....

Whose responsibility is soak away
Tenant or landlord

The properties I look after, I make sure the thing is well sealed, so even if it's full na them go surfer well well, cause immediately them flush, d sh*t go return back to Thier toilet bowls instead of going down. They pack thier own shyt nowadays since I removed it from d new agreement as at 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hot Water Bath Or Cold Water Bath? Which One Is Better? / Flood Overtakes Federal Medical Centre Otuoke, Bayelsa (Photo) / Beware Of These Banned Food Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.