Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,542 members, 7,812,691 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Is It Safe For Drinking? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Safe For Drinking? (35687 Views)

Corona Virus: Is It Safe To Order Stuff From AliExpress? / See Why Sachet (pure) Water Is Not Safe For Drinking (pictures) / FG Sets Quality Standard For Drinking Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by MeineMutter: 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2023
Typhoid. That’s why lots of Lagosians treat typhoid more than other states in Nigeria.

This is more common in Lagos because of scarcity of land.
Where your toilet soak away is, in your compound, is next to someone’s borehole, in another compound.

According to WHO, distance between a toilet and a borehole has to be a minimum of 100 meters. (that’s like one end of a goalpost to another end of a goalpost of a standard football field).

That’s why lots of houses don’t have soak away abroad. They rather have pipes that carry these wastes to central area where the wastes are treated properly.

Best is to be drinking water like CWAY etc in big dispensable water bucket, to safe cost of buying in pieces of bottled waters.

Just be using the borehole water to bath (add disinfectant) and wash and cook (boil thoroughly). That’s how you can be free from visit g hospitals and clinics.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Ladech(m): 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2023
It depends on a number of things. What is the depth of this borehole? and which environment? Lagos?
People should not forget that the borehole they drink for may just be very close to a soakaway at the other side of their own compuond fence. grin
Princejydo:
Good afternoon nairalander, pls in my apartment, the bore hole is sunk besides the soakaway and now the soakaway is full, and the water is usually coming out especially during the raining season. I want to ask that is it safe to drink the water. Though we have been drinking it since I got there around 2019 but now the soakaway is full and the caretaker has refused to do the needfull
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by MrsTwrite(f): 10:19pm On Sep 02, 2023
Anitatunde:
To pack out no hard o.

Perfect answer 😂
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by seankay(m): 10:26pm On Sep 02, 2023
From a hydrogeologist perspective, I would expect the soakaway to seep into the groundwater. The height of the aquifer or potentiometric surface and the soil properties will determine.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by OctavianAC(m): 10:28pm On Sep 02, 2023
Stephaniegold:
It is super safe to drink....rubbish question
Technically it may be safe, when it is well dug. Pathogens in soak-away water can't get to the bottom of the bore hole, except that there is a leakage along the casing at its top hole.
I guest you had the op saying that they have been drinking it.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by YelloweWest: 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2023
By safety standards it should be at least 100 meters apart. The borehole sucks water from any source underground including polluted water.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by PristineSteve(m): 10:47pm On Sep 02, 2023
Unless you paid specifically for Soakaway disposal to the caretaker, you can't wait for him or the landlord to do that for you.

It is the tenants' responsibility to evacuate the tank. The Landlord can only contribute to the money.

Is the Landlord using it with you?
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by FRANKOSKI(m): 10:51pm On Sep 02, 2023
Boil wella
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Tabletuner(m): 10:57pm On Sep 02, 2023
PUK!

Please you were supposed to add graphic to this post.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by correctguy101(m): 11:29pm On Sep 02, 2023
Ah..

Very safe ..

Free sause and flavors.... grin undecided undecided grin
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by nikkyshyne(f): 12:17am On Sep 03, 2023
Is the caretaker or landlord living in the house? It is the responsibility of the tenants to contribute money and get it evacuated.

Nobody will come and pack your shit for you.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by greggng: 12:22am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:
Good afternoon nairalander, pls in my apartment, the bore hole is sunk besides the soakaway and now the soakaway is full, and the water is usually coming out especially during the raining season. I want to ask that is it safe to drink the water. Though we have been drinking it since I got there around 2019 but now the soakaway is full and the caretaker has refused to do the needfull

So na caretaker go pack your shit abi ...that means you go soon drink shit ...make una contribute and clear that shit

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 12:26am On Sep 03, 2023
Very bad and unsanitary
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by GoodGovernance: 12:29am On Sep 03, 2023
YelloweWest:
By safety standards it should be at least 100 meters apart. The borehole sucks water from any source underground including polluted water.

100m bawo?

How long is a. Plot of land na?
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by xjiggy: 12:59am On Sep 03, 2023
Depends on the depth. Septic tanks and boreholes are not of same depth. If the septic tank is 15ft deep and the bore hole is 90ft deep, I don't see how they'll mix.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by daredupe2002: 1:17am On Sep 03, 2023
6 meters is the standard distance from any soak away to any source of portable water according to world health organisation, the soil has the capability ro have filtered the solid waste before contaminating the well.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by iyobosadavid: 1:25am On Sep 03, 2023
It will only be safe for drinking if the depth of the well (borehole) is upto 200-250ft deep. But if the depth is 100ft or 120ft, it is unsafe for consumption even without the soakaway been filled. To drill a borehole, 10ft to 15ft distance is suppose to be given to the point where the well is to be drilled.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Giftexx: 2:29am On Sep 03, 2023
robinfemi:
Lol. You no fit live for village be that o... I know one village abi na local government for Edo, the stream, they up side na drinking water why the down is bathing and washing cheesy
it makes a lot of sense, and quiet safe
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Yankee101: 2:35am On Sep 03, 2023
Absolutely not
Who did the survey?
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Ndipe(m): 3:04am On Sep 03, 2023
Not safe, not hygienic
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by HussenAdul: 3:35am On Sep 03, 2023
Anitatunde:
To pack out no hard o.
Is not that easy to get a befitting accommodation this time including all the prepayments & charges involved.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Lexusgs430: 4:16am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

You are about to eat this plate of egusi, vegetable soup + pounded yam ....... A fly drops a tiny piece of excreta/feaces, in the middle of this meal.........

What would you do ....... Get a spoon and remove the offending matter or pour the meal away .......😂😜
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by skj1377(m): 4:32am On Sep 03, 2023
No
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Chummynoni(m): 4:40am On Sep 03, 2023
Nazgul:
Do people still drink borehole directly from the ground in this age?
i didn’t use to drink it before , but sapa is a respecter of nobody 😂. My wife boils the water before putting in the fridge . It is sweeter than pure-water🤣, all thanks to bulabla 🥺

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by NickD(m): 4:40am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:
It is not safe, your soakaway should be sited at least 100m away from the water source. Buy sachet water of good quality to avoid the risk.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by ekitimanalways(m): 4:44am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

If a borehole is too close to a soakaway there must be a leakage. In order to eliminate the risk of contamination, soakaways must be located more than 30m or 150m from boreholes.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Image123(m): 4:55am On Sep 03, 2023
Lol, it's actually safe but psychologically people may have a problem with it.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by lonelydora: 5:18am On Sep 03, 2023
Princejydo:

Whether the Soakaway is full or not, don't drink that water, even after evacuation.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by Abiola5034(m): 5:26am On Sep 03, 2023
It's not advisable, because there will be underground seepage from the soak away, which will inturn add bacteria such as E. coli and aeromonas into the water.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by worksmart(m): 5:44am On Sep 03, 2023
It would be very safe . But my concern is more to do with structural integrity or failure which in itself very unlike unless the borehole less than 1.5m from septic tank/soakaway.
Re: Is It Safe For Drinking? by hansomb: 5:54am On Sep 03, 2023
Boil b4 drinking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Releases 11 More Coronavirus Patients After They Tested Negative / Uganda Runs Out Of Condoms / Flood Overtakes Federal Medical Centre Otuoke, Bayelsa (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.