Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,985 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker (27337 Views)

Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry / Rashidi Yekini Was Murdered – Segun Odegbami Reveals Why He Thinks So / Sikirat Yekini, Rashidi Yekini Mother Living In Poverty. Petty Goods Not Upto 5k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Racoon(m): 2:45pm On Sep 05, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCW1Gfc2oUw?si=nH6dcJLEPFmWml2s
After 11 years of Rashidi Yekini's demise, here are the 11 moments of Rashidi Yekini;

1) He scored Nigeria’s first goal at the FIFA World Cup.

2) Yekini is Nigeria's all-time leading scorer with 37 goals in 62 appearances.

3) He was crowned African Player of the Year in 1993, becoming the first Nigerian to take home the top individual honor on the continent after three decades of misses.

4) He was the highest goal scorer in the Ivory Coast League in 1988, 1989, and 1990.

5) He was the top scorer in the Portuguese Primeira Liga in 1993.

6) He was named a member of the Order of the Niger in 1994.

7) Yekini distinguished himself in Nigerian club teams like Shooting Stars, Gateway United, and Abiola Babes.

cool He scored 80 goals in 100 appearances for the Abiola Babes between 1984 and 1987.

9) He scored 112 goals in 130 games.

10) Between 1990 and 1994, he competed for Vitoria Setubal of the Portuguese Division 1 in Europe, making 114 appearances and scoring 91 goals. In his final campaign with Vitoria Setubal, he also captured the Golden Boot.

11) After the 1994 World Cup, he also played for the Spanish team Sporting Gijon and the Greek club Olympiacos before returning on loan to Vitoria Setubal.

https://www.facebook.com/100076000014842/posts/pfbid0BzEiSViM1jRmhwLjhGkFsfJ1g4H5CSkViGDcN8HjMaHR3DZ3VHhKxXkPz8P2kbbbl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

36 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Racoon(m): 2:46pm On Sep 05, 2023
The most striking thing to me about Rashidi Yekini is his unparalleled humility despite his legendary status in the Super Eagles. This man always stoop in the front row during photographs session before every match he plays.

Compare him with Daniel Amokachie in all the group photographs of the Super Eagles to understand what I a driving at. Rest on legend

Skyview01:
I for fight Racoon if he did not include Yekini's picture with the net in USA 94.
cheesy OF course that picture is an unmistakable iconic representation of the legendary striker.

95 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by TemplarLandry: 2:47pm On Sep 05, 2023

I dedicate β€œLCND” (Legends Can Never Die) by Davido to him.
Great jam!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Malroux: 2:49pm On Sep 05, 2023
He was probably Nigeria's best striker of all time.

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Malroux: 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Dedicate a song to him.

3 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by chiefolododo(m): 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2023
Malroux:
I prefer brown ideye
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by lordopsy2018(m): 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2023
V
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by pol23: 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2023
I remember my exercise book in primary school then.
Onward is like the standard, it doesn’t have any front image.
Others always have either
Rashidi Yekini.
Okparaji
Orisabunmi - she was a Yoruba golden actress in early 90’s when the total of actress no reach 20.
Rashidi Yekini popular celebration where he was shaking the goalpost net was every television station advertisement for news or sport section for close to a decade.
He was our heroe.
When I read of how he died in abject poverty in ibadan makes me want to cry for him…. I won’t say Nigeria failed him, because Nigeria gave him the platform and he went ahead to become a super star and made lots of money.
But I think education or proper planning kill him…
Still legend in my eyes.
We appreciate your service.
Respect.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Ahigbo1: 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2023
Rest on, legend

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Timoleon(m): 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2023
His goal to game ratio for Nigeria is actually excellent.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Angelfrost(m): 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2023
Rest on Legend...!

Sadly, this nation hasn't had a better Striker than that since then... Honestly, we haven't had a better Super Eagles team ever since.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by ajepako(f): 3:25pm On Sep 05, 2023
LEGEND!

4 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Timoleon(m): 3:25pm On Sep 05, 2023
He still is.
Malroux:

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Malroux: 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2023
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye
How many goals did he scored for super eagles?

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Kokomo: 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2023
I'm thrilled that he became the first Nigerian to score a World Cup goal. It's a remarkable achievement and a gift he's given himself.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by phkka1(m): 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2023
Rest in peace our hero. You labour for this nation shall never be in vain.

21 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Emilo(m): 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2023
When is the country going to honour its all time greatest!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Chno: 3:27pm On Sep 05, 2023
shocked
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Angelfrost(m): 3:27pm On Sep 05, 2023
Malroux:
How many goals did he scored for super eagles?

Better yet... How many games did he win for Super Eagles??!

Don't mind that guy.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by MAKAPOLY: 3:28pm On Sep 05, 2023
Rashidiiiiiiiiiiiii.
Vintage raw striker yet refined!!! His passion for the green and white? Unparalleled!!!

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Akeem79(m): 3:28pm On Sep 05, 2023
Legend

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by bigdawg7: 3:28pm On Sep 05, 2023
Yekini was legendary just so unfortunate he died a pauper

7 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by devilmaycry: 3:29pm On Sep 05, 2023
shocked
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by NaijaCrusader: 3:29pm On Sep 05, 2023
Yekini is the real king. Those days once you hear the commentator mention Yekiniiii everyone's ear will become an antenna expecting a goal. He was a king

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by bigdawg7: 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2023
wtf you smoking son
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by ajepako(f): 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2023
Rashidi Yekini

Stephen Keshi

Samuel Okwaraji

Igeniwari George

Mudashiru Lawal

Rest on, Legends!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by baike: 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2023
No be this guy scored the only goal against India

I hear say as him score the goal na him die

4 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Sharpsharp00123: 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2023
Racoon:
The most striking thing to me about Rashidi Yekini is his unparalleled humility. This man always stoop in the front row during photographs session before every match he plays.

Compare him with Daniel Amokachie in all the group photographs of the Super Eagles to understand what I a driving at. Rest on legend
keep quiet dere

U want to bury amokachi now cos he supported tinubu in d last election

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by AllenSpencer: 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2023
A striker that was playing with his heart.

Dedicated, patriotic and full of zeal!

Not all these fashion models we call strikers now.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Hezzyluv: 3:32pm On Sep 05, 2023
The guy is 2ruly a legend. Scored a lot of incredible goals.

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AFCON: Why Nigeria Lost To Algeria – Rohr / Obafemi Martins Celebrates His 35th Birthday Today / Iheanacho's Manchester City Move Collapses, FC Porto His Likely Destination?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.