Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,552 members, 7,819,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker (27361 Views)

Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry / Rashidi Yekini Was Murdered – Segun Odegbami Reveals Why He Thinks So / Sikirat Yekini, Rashidi Yekini Mother Living In Poverty. Petty Goods Not Upto 5k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Lukuluku69(m): 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by fubsy: 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2023
The goal maestro, Rashidi YeKing.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by jojothaiv(m): 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2023
Malroux:
How many goals did he scored for super eagles?
I had wanted to ask him too..
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by jojothaiv(m): 4:22pm On Sep 05, 2023
Hezzyluv:

Money stops nonsense and at the same time brings nonsense.
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by LivingSage: 4:31pm On Sep 05, 2023
Who comes first?
Yekini or Drogba sad

You should compare Drogba to him not him to Drogba.

Stop the disrespect
Blankstare:

The man is Didier Drogba pro max

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Burruchaga71(m): 4:37pm On Sep 05, 2023
The G. O. A. T in Nigerian football.
Rest on...

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by BreconHills(m): 4:38pm On Sep 05, 2023
Malroux:
He was probably Nigeria's best striker of all time.

Certainly had the best goals to matches ratio. World class ratio. In today's world, his stats would be right up there.

3 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Alary: 4:48pm On Sep 05, 2023
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye

We are talking about Nigeria all time best striker ,not Nigeria all time clown .Indomie generation.

3 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Timoleon(m): 4:53pm On Sep 05, 2023
BJanta:

His blind volleys are a delight to watch. No keeper is able to stop it when it goes direct. They would hold it and quickly involuntarily drop it as if like a red-hot piece of steel.
he had great power in his legs. Even his headers went with power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Prenonjebose: 4:55pm On Sep 05, 2023
Rashidi was a great striker. Among all his exploits, I will never forget the wonderful goal he scored against Zaire, Congo DR, at the quarter final stage of the 1994 AFCON. It's was a goal that brought a lot of relief.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by IbileIfe: 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2023
They said he never missed a penalty kick.
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Sleekfingers: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2023
bigdawg7:
Yekini was legendary just so unfortunate he died a pauper

Mismanagement.

It is a pity.
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by PrincessofDSS(f): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2023
This goal against Bulgaria in USA 94 will forever remain with me

Continue to rest legendary Yakini

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by YorubaPrince: 5:27pm On Sep 05, 2023
Racoon:
The most striking thing to me about Rashidi Yekini is his unparalleled humility despite his legendary status in the Super Eagles. This man always stoop in the front row during photographs session before every match he plays.

Compare him with Daniel Amokachie in all the group photographs of the Super Eagles to understand what I a driving at. Rest on legend

He's Yoruba, which means humility is instilled in him. Humility is a part of our life. cool

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by APOPTOSIS: 5:33pm On Sep 05, 2023
Still better than Penaldo...in terms of Goal to Match Ratio for country without Penalties

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by geoworldedu: 5:35pm On Sep 05, 2023
Eloquency001:

No, I beg to disagree, I think he died of mental imbalance.
Yes you're correct.
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by geoworldedu: 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2023
Sleekfingers:

Mismanagement.

It is a pity.
Mental health.
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Negroid001(m): 5:41pm On Sep 05, 2023
I hear say the guy later run mad. Is it true?
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by OKORONKWOBRIGHT(m): 5:51pm On Sep 05, 2023
His the best of all
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by godwon01(m): 5:59pm On Sep 05, 2023
He was able to score those goals because he enjoyed fine mid fielders in the likeness of Sunday oliseh, JJ Okocha, Mutiu Adepoju , Friday Ekpo, Friday Elahoh, Finidi George , Amuneke.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by sacajawea: 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2023
NaijaCrusader:
Yekini is the real king. Those days once you hear the commentator mention Yekiniiii everyone's ear will become an antenna expecting a goal. He was a king
On radio?
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2023
Otulented:
When Tribalism has not eaten us deep. Our politicians really dealt with us so badly. Now yoruba sees an Igbo man as his enemy, while Igbo man now sees an hausa man as his greatest Enemy. Its high time we unite and fight for the betterment and unity of this our beloved country, called Nigeria .

Thank you my brother. Remember when Wasiu Ayinde made a song for Samuel Okwaraji when he died and the whole country was mourning.

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by blowjohn(m): 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2023
Racoon:
The most striking thing to me about Rashidi Yekini is his unparalleled humility despite his legendary status in the Super Eagles. This man always stoop in the front row during photographs session before every match he plays.

Compare him with Daniel Amokachie in all the group photographs of the Super Eagles to understand what I a driving at. Rest on legend

That's why Amokachi was called the Bull.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by shegra58: 6:07pm On Sep 05, 2023
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye
yellow Ideye ni

Why would you compare Ideye with Yekini

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by blowjohn(m): 6:07pm On Sep 05, 2023
godwon01:
He was able to score those goals because he enjoyed fine mid fielders in the likeness of Sunday oliseh, JJ Okocha, Mutiu Adepoju , Friday Ekpo, Friday Elahoh, Finidi George , Amuneke.

What about the ones in the Portuguese league?
Abi u no read the article finish?

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by shegra58: 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2023
bigdawg7:
Yekini was legendary just so unfortunate he died a pauper
Yekini never dies a pauper go and get your fact right, dealing with family issue dosent mean you're poor

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by chiefolododo(m): 6:21pm On Sep 05, 2023
shegra58:
yellow Ideye ni

Why would you compare Ideye with Yekini
was just joking ooo and some people almost roasted me

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by placeofallure(f): 6:23pm On Sep 05, 2023
pol23:
I remember my exercise book in primary school then.
Onward is like the standard, it doesn’t have any front image.
Others always have either
Rashidi Yekini.
Okparaji
Orisabunmi - she was a Yoruba golden actress in early 90’s when the total of actress no reach 20.
Rashidi Yekini popular celebration where he was shaking the goalpost net was every television station advertisement for news or sport section for close to a decade.
He was our heroe.
When I read of how he died in abject poverty in ibadan makes me want to cry for him…. I won’t say Nigeria failed him, because Nigeria gave him the platform and he went ahead to become a super star and made lots of money.
But I think education or proper planning kill him…
Still legend in my eyes.
We appreciate your service.
Respect.

I remember vividly the net picture. We were really small then and we had our own warped version of the National anthem centering around the Super Eagles.

Arise o Compashun
Nigeria call obey
Against the Bulgarians
Nigeria score 3 goals
Amokachi score 2nd goal, Amunike 3rd goal
Rashidi enter Net
Dear Westerhoff was happy, shouting Nigeria!

Those were glory days for Nigeria and her football. It's unfortunate how a man that celebrated could end the way he ended. A life lesson to be learnt!

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by skuribeebo: 6:24pm On Sep 05, 2023
Malroux:
How many goals did he scored for super eagles?
no be only brown na yellow ideye. grin
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by wolebest: 6:30pm On Sep 05, 2023
pol23:
I remember my exercise book in primary school then.
Onward is like the standard, it doesn’t have any front image.
Others always have either
Rashidi Yekini.
Okparaji
Orisabunmi - she was a Yoruba golden actress in early 90’s when the total of actress no reach 20.
Rashidi Yekini popular celebration where he was shaking the goalpost net was every television station advertisement for news or sport section for close to a decade.
He was our heroe.
When I read of how he died in abject poverty in ibadan makes me want to cry for him…. I won’t say Nigeria failed him, because Nigeria gave him the platform and he went ahead to become a super star and made lots of money.
But I think education or proper planning kill him…
Still legend in my eyes.
We appreciate your service.
Respect.

Yekini or better still YEKING did not die in poverty.

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by jeffkennedy: 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2023
Nigeria up to today is still looking for a striker to fill the huge boots of Rashidi Yekini. He is a true legend of Nigerian and African football. it's so unfortunate he died in an unceremonious manner. RIP legend...

3 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Bimpe29: 6:46pm On Sep 05, 2023
Allahumo ighifirillahu war'amhu Aameen.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs. Burkina Faso In Pictures / AFCON 2023 Best Player Of Tournament Contenders: Lookman, Haller, Ekong Leads / Leicester City Complete The Signing Of Iheanacho From Man City(pics,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.