Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker (27356 Views)

Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry / Rashidi Yekini Was Murdered – Segun Odegbami Reveals Why He Thinks So / Sikirat Yekini, Rashidi Yekini Mother Living In Poverty. Petty Goods Not Upto 5k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by benardtotti(m): 6:55pm On Sep 05, 2023
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by benardtotti(m): 7:03pm On Sep 05, 2023
pol23:
I remember my exercise book in primary school then.
Onward is like the standard, it doesn’t have any front image.
Others always have either
Rashidi Yekini.
Okparaji
Orisabunmi - she was a Yoruba golden actress in early 90’s when the total of actress no reach 20.
Rashidi Yekini popular celebration where he was shaking the goalpost net was every television station advertisement for news or sport section for close to a decade.
He was our heroe.
When I read of how he died in abject poverty in ibadan makes me want to cry for him…. I won’t say Nigeria failed him, because Nigeria gave him the platform and he went ahead to become a super star and made lots of money.
But I think education or proper planning kill him…
Still legend in my eyes.
We appreciate your service.
Respect.

Point of correction he didn't die of poverty , he had close to a billion left in his banks when he died, family members even fought for his property and all .

3 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 05, 2023
I for fight Racoon if he did not include Yekini's picture with the net in USA 94.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by shegra58: 7:16pm On Sep 05, 2023
chiefolododo:
was just joking ooo and some people almost roasted me
grin grin
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by madjune(m): 7:18pm On Sep 05, 2023
The man called "Gangling Rashidi"

Chai. Time don really pass.
Nigeria has had it.

Yekini was so good that his fellow team members began to beef him.
They wouldn't pass the ball to him at 94 world cup.

He remains the best Nigeria can ever produce as a striker.

5 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by musajo1(m): 7:21pm On Sep 05, 2023
How are the mighty fallen.RIP

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by ManOfSon: 7:22pm On Sep 05, 2023
Yekini's death makes me angry to this day. He served Nigeria. He was generous to a fault as reported. Hundreds took advantage of his generosity, even his own friends and family. Yet he died in misery. If ever there's paradise, here's one deserving soul. Continue to rest in power, Yeking!

4 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Grandmisty: 7:26pm On Sep 05, 2023

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Tijani009: 7:49pm On Sep 05, 2023
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye
cvictor osibobo
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by richie240: 8:00pm On Sep 05, 2023
And where did u hear that from Biko??
cool
bigdawg7:
Yekini was legendary just so unfortunate he died a pauper
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by richie240: 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2023
Even Victor osimen is more effective than ideye how much more yekini.

I perceive you didn't grow up during it's time.
It's understood.
cool
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by richie240: 8:10pm On Sep 05, 2023
Those 'fine midfielders' later conspire to suffocate him of through balls.

But for their myopia/jealousy, we would've gone faaaaar in d 94 world cup.

They thot they were doing him, but alas they also did themselves too.
cool

godwon01:
He was able to score those goals because he enjoyed fine mid fielders in the likeness of Sunday oliseh, JJ Okocha, Mutiu Adepoju , Friday Ekpo, Friday Elahoh, Finidi George , Amuneke.

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Bakrabas: 9:11pm On Sep 05, 2023
I saw this guy for the very first time at Femi Johnson in Ibadan around 2000

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by francotunsco: 9:36pm On Sep 05, 2023
The last time i saw the picture of his grave and heard the story of his suffering mother, i shed tears. Too bad a thing to be remembering an icon as this.

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by Seniormanfeyi06(m): 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2023
Nigeria's greatest striker of all time. The only striker that has force like him is obafemi Martins

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by macfish101(m): 9:48pm On Sep 05, 2023
Strikers like this are very few. I can't count up to 5 in world football right now. Man is a goal machine
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by GasAndOilTheory(m): 11:48pm On Sep 05, 2023
Malroux:
He was probably Nigeria's best striker of all time.

What if yakubu aiyegbeni decides to argue this
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by godwon01(m): 12:47am On Sep 06, 2023
blowjohn:

What about the ones in the Portuguese league?
Abi u no read the article finish?
If I am asked to do desertation on all his goals , honestly I will scored fifty percent. What concerned me about his club goals. You can find out those players that assisted him to score those goals for his clubs. Starting from shooting stars of ibadan , and of course don't forget his club from northern part of Nigeria where Segun odegbami spotted him . His club at Benin republic, Abiola babes, ,African spot of Ivory coast and Victoria setubal . Assignment for you my brother.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by ddeola: 1:51am On Sep 06, 2023
Baba Yekini na legend no b small. May his soul rest in peace
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by HussenAdul: 5:40am On Sep 06, 2023
Yes, a good striker. Always in the tongue of commentators.
RIP Yekini!
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by seagulsntrawler: 6:36am On Sep 06, 2023
Yekini was a delight to watch in those days. He doesn't need the ball on a plate for him to score a goal. Free-kicks, penalties, and scoring half-chances was his bread and butter back then. He was truly a legend and could have broken Lauren Poku's most goals in the African nations cup record if not for the ban imposed on Nigeria in 1996 and 1998. Back then, when listening to soccer commentaries on radio, the mention of Yekini's name means something important is about to happen, and he does not disappoint millions of fans nationwide. Watching the super-chicken play nowadays is tedious and a complete waste, and not worth the effort and time. A major problem with the current setup is our love for having foreign players not born in Nigeria represent us in soccer games. Players like Lookman, Balogun, Ekong etc don't understand what it takes to be Nigerians because they are not Nigerians and would rather player for their home country. The spirit and passion is lacking. Diversity and inclusiveness has killed the national team.
RIP legend.
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by phemmyfour: 10:13am On Sep 06, 2023
chiefolododo:
I prefer brown ideye
brown ko purple ni

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by phemmyfour: 10:13am On Sep 06, 2023
GasAndOilTheory:

What if yakubu aiyegbeni decides to argue this
That lazy striker. Stat can be deceptive
Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by phemmyfour: 10:16am On Sep 06, 2023
godwon01:
He was able to score those goals because he enjoyed fine mid fielders in the likeness of Sunday oliseh, JJ Okocha, Mutiu Adepoju , Friday Ekpo, Friday Elahoh, Finidi George , Amuneke.
Lol, he has been in Eagles and scoring even before those guys entered the national team. Those guys weren't playing in his club too.

Give the guy his flower. To win afcon highest goal scorer back to back isn't a fluke.

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini: In Honour Of The Legendary Nigerian Striker by judedwriter(m): 2:07pm On Sep 06, 2023
Watching yekini play was like watching Playstation....

Versatile, hungry for goals and simply amazing.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs. Burkina Faso In Pictures / AFCON 2023 Best Player Of Tournament Contenders: Lookman, Haller, Ekong Leads / N'golo Kante Agrees To A Two-year Deal With Saudi Club Al Ittihad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.