Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? (71979 Views)

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 5:05am On Sep 07, 2023
Cromagnon:

Jury's out on that one to honest
But that person is right
Just look at every black community except Botswana

Botswana is less than 3 million people, and is what Nigeria would be if our population was 5 million instead of the 230 million people.

Botswana's main export is diamonds. It is the seventh largest exporter of diamods, and it has just 2.9 million people. That's why it can afford good looking roads and streets.

Nigeria? We can't because our populaiton is too huge to rely on one single export, and that is if we used the money rightly. Countries like Nigeria that have a large population size and are prosperous also rely heavily on exporting manufactured goods and services, and taxable income. A multiplicity of money streams if you will.

If Botswana were to grow to 200 million people, and still rely on diamonds...it would be as bad as Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by capetownboyz(m): 5:09am On Sep 07, 2023
Reflect7:

You're the epitome of thougtlessness.

Do you know how many countries are on this Earth?

I know you haven't a clue, because you only know ''the USA''.

Plus the rest of the 25% of nations that are 'advanced', in a world of majority DEVELOPING nations and populations who look NOTHING like the USA.

The USA has acquired its wealth, which gives it a 7.6 trillion dollar annual budget (compared to Nigeria's 50 billion dollars), by invading directly or indirectly 198 of the 202 countries on Earth today, killing MILLIONS of people in the process. All geared at accessing resources on the cheap, and economic allegiance.

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE SO RICH AND DEVELOPED TODAY.

THROUGH BRIGANDAGE.

So when you are there, and you see all those bright shining lights and facilities that are shacking your head, KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM before demanding that Nigeria ''be like them'', or before ''praying for Nigeria''.

Instead, pray for yourself that the wrath of God does not fall on America (Babylon the Great of Revelations) while you are sitting their praying for Nigeria.

Or that an intercontinental ballistic nuclear missile from the Kremlin doesn't drop on your rooftop.

still quoting nonsense excuse but you wouldn’t use the likes of Singapore, UAE , Saudis, Qatar , Malay and lot more other countries who geared towards development and left Africa behind or are we still giving excuses cause of the PTSD of colonialism.. we have every resources in our lands to becoming great tomorrow but still we ain’t doing nothing except invite the Chinko and white to come fix our roads .. man you need to ashamed of yourself and bring down your pride .. Africans are lagging behind wether you believe it or not and stop trying to bring ancient civilizations into question cause it doesn’t change anything.. my bone of contention is even Nigeria before I start talking about other African countries.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 5:16am On Sep 07, 2023
Reflect7:

Plus the rest of the 25% of nations that are 'advanced', in a world of majority DEVELOPING nations and populations who look NOTHING like the USA.

The USA has acquired its wealth, which gives it a 7.6 trillion dollar annual budget (compared to Nigeria's 50 billion dollars), by invading directly or indirectly 198 of the 202 countries on Earth today, killing MILLIONS of people in the process. All geared at accessing resources on the cheap, and economic allegiance.

THROUGH BRIGANDAGE.

So when you are there, and you see all those bright shining lights and facilities that are shacking your head, KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM before demanding that Nigeria ''be like them'', or before ''praying for Nigeria''.

Instead, pray for yourself that the wrath of God does not fall on America (Babylon the Great of Revelations) while you are sitting their praying for Nigeria.

Or that an intercontinental ballistic nuclear missile from the Kremlin doesn't drop on your rooftop.

Actually, the USA is rich because it relies heavily on exporting manufactured goods and services.

(Note, before you start, I am aware of the US's long and evil history. But it is more than just looting.).

The thing is, the US has always been a massive producer and exporter. In 1936, when the Nazi Germany admin was trying to improve domestic car production (an effort that led to the development of Volkswagen), Germany, France and the UK had car ownership rates of 4-5% . The USA had car ownership rates of 20%.

Infact during the second world war, the UK and the USSR were able to keep fighting because of massive imports of USA indistrial goods. Consider that the Nazis could not bomb the USA during the war.

Now a word on looting. China was a large empire that invaded lots of naitons and looted them. Spain too did the same thing over time...yet by the 19th century both of them were broke and dominated by other nations. Now, China is peak

Japan too used to invade other countries for centuries, and loot them....and by the 19th century they thought they were top dog,, until US ships entered their ports by force, and they could do nothing because the tech gap was immense.

Looting can only take you to point A. It can make you rich, but then ....loot runs out. (And in spain's case, looking for loot bankrupted them severely.)

Today, China is no 1, and Japan is no 3...BECAUSE...they followed a system whereby they made stuff the world needed and sold them to the world market.

Nigeria? Even andorid phone we use, we no wan make. And before you shout whites...white people were ready to buy Japanese, Korean and Chinese imports from the 1960's onwards because quality....

Riches are made only by making stuff the world needs. It does not have to be weapons of war.

If we made phones, and they worked well, the West would love us, because prices of phones will drop. But we want to sell oil, share the money, and import like mad.

And we don't want to pay taxes. US looks nice because EVERYONE THERE PAYS TAXES. Not like Nigeria where as at 2019, 70% of the populaiton did not pay anything in tax.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 5:20am On Sep 07, 2023
capetownboyz:
still quoting nonsense excuse but you wouldn’t use the likes of Singapore, UAE , Saudis, Qatar , Malay and lot more other countries who geared towards development and left Africa behind or are we still giving excuses cause of the PTSD of colonialism.. we have every resources in our lands to becoming great tomorrow but still we ain’t doing nothing except invite the Chinko and white to come fix our roads .. man you need to ashamed of yourself and bring down your pride .. Africans are lagging behind wether you believe it or not and stop trying to bring ancient civilizations into question cause it doesn’t change anything.. my bone of contention is even Nigeria before I start talking about other African countries.

1.Saudi and Qatar and UAE are where they are because they produce large amounts of oil for countries with very small populations. (Qatar produces nearly 2 million barrels of crude, AND has about 1.1 million people.

2.Singapore does not produce oil, but they lie in a strategic position, which they maximised by reinventing themselves as a manufacturing hub. And as a place for exports to rest of aAsia to pass through.

3.Ditto Malaysia (and Malaysia is not that rich. Go outside KL...there are large poor regions.).

Nigeria can be there if we first get rid of the idea that we all have to rely on oil, start paying sensible taxes, AND transition our economy to a manufacturing exporter.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Reflect7: 5:21am On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

Why don't YOU shut up? Who do you think you are?

You're just proving the Op's point. They were able to do all those things you alleged because they were able to outsmart you and were more advanced.

Really? You pea brain.

So if I break into your house and shoot you and steal your property, it means I am smarter and more advanced than you?

Can you see how you reason like a BEAST?

Are you human?

YOU DOG.

How would you fancy someone bursting into your house right now and gunning down you and your entire family, just to take over your house?

OK so, since in your PRIMITIVE BEAST HEAD, MILITARY MIGHT GIVES ONE THE RIGHT TO INVADE AND MASS MURDER OTHER NATIONS, AND LOOT THEIR WEALTH, what stops that from being acceptable today?

Every nation with a powerful army should just get up and attack their neighbour, enslave them and loot their wealth!

Can't you see you are a sick, demented person?

If Africans had the capacity, why haven't they replaced those buildings and monuments since 1960?

WHO THE HELL TOLD YOU THEY HAVEN'T?

Are you even AFRICAN?

YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF THESE NASTY AMERICAN racists who come in here pretending to be Nigerian to push their racist anti-black views.

Lemme guess: You think we all live in mud huts like in National GeographIc and Tarzan.

Frigging American AIR HEAD.

Singapore was able to build up their country in the same time period.

So why could Singapore's neighbours like Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Nepal not replicate Singaporean ''magic''? Instead they're worse off than most African countries.

Of course, being an absolute dunce, you haven't the slightest clue.

Singapore is a city-state. Did you know that?

It's not actually a country. It's just an island CITY.

It was made rich because the British made it a hub for trading ships crossing the Pacific from centuries ago. They simply made money from taxing the trade, with which they used to build a city starting over a century ago.

BIG DEAL.

All the African cities apart from South Africa only began to develop after the 1960s, since the colonialists built nothing, and just looted African resources for a century.

So don't expect them to look like Singapore just yet, but many of them look like they are getting pretty close.

The black race is the oldest race on the planet and has had a 200,000 year head start. But somehow, you're the babies of this world.

The actual babies of this world are the white race, an intensely stupid, shortsighted, greedy, unprincipled race drowned in hypocrisy, for whom the BEASTLY, SAVAGE PRINCIPLE of 'might is right' this very minute, has the world on the precipice of NUCLEAR EXTINCTION.

ONLY THE ALMIGHTY GOD is keeping us alive today.

This very minute these WHITE CRETINS have nuclear missiles capable of destroying all life on Earth many times over POINTING AT EACH OTHER.

They are too stupid to sit down and reach a settlement that ends their CRAZED, DEMENTED nuclear arms race.

Any slight miscalculation and we're all gone! Poof! Just like that!

SO WHO THE fck IS THE BABY OF THE WORLD, YOU BLASTED, INSOLENT TWERP?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Ex0rrcist: 5:23am On Sep 07, 2023
yemmit90:
For Nigeria to have beautiful and organised cities, the right to build structures or buy land must be removed from individuals. Real Estate or construction companies should be the only organisations mandated by law to do so. Flexible Mortgage system must be introduce by banks, government and other financial houses. We are just wasting spaces in the name of building individuals houses, a single condo can accommodate a whole street in some localities. Would it not make sense if 50 people buy a flat each in a building than making useless structured on 50 plots of land or more. No individual or family should be allow to own more than 3 bedroom apartment or duplex if you are rich enough.

By this development, it will be very easy for investors to invest in a massive modern buildings and condos. This will also curb corruption to a greater extent as most of the loots are being spent on properties.

This is not feasible, as people preference for single house is not a bad thing. Part of what we need is proper city planning, good layouts, and urbanisation, with strict building regulations. We have some of this, but they are not enforced.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nothingspoil70: 6:04am On Sep 07, 2023
All these depressions because of Peter obis loss at the tribunal

All Eyes on the supreme court jare

Let's give ourselves hope small
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by oweniwe(m): 6:10am On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

Lots of money that Nigerians will rather use to invest in a church rather than their community.

But about religion.

People do it for their compounds. The people that have money sometimes do it for their street too. There's a man on my side, HRM Friday Abaja who interlocked every single road in his community (umukwata).

Even in my community, someone bought nddc to tar up a large chunks of the internal roads.

So people can do it. People that give to religious institutions have their reasons. You can't tell them how to spend their money

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by annlopez: 6:16am On Sep 07, 2023
Nigeria could be a great country if corruption and theft were stopped
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by ovcwality(m): 6:18am On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

Only the tourist areas in some Caribbean countries are neat.

In Jamaica, they advise tourists never to leave the hotel resorts. African countries are alot safer than Caribbean ones.
Yes You say in some, I don't want to start listing but those with good GDP are even cleaner that white countries, but we can argue that they don't have so much population maybe. The major cause of development is money, People are finding it hard to even feed in Nigeria, how much is kept for infrastructure development?

I want this clown op to point out any country in the world with a GDP per Capita of low income African countries in the world that is develop, whether Asia, Americas.........we need a lot of money, experience, time to achieve this things. You guys complaining will not achieve anything near that picture you are also posting even if Nigeria is handed over to you right now. Were will the money, workforce, machineries, raw materials come from?
And Nigeria don't even have a ground planning for all this things

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by yemmit90: 6:28am On Sep 07, 2023
Ex0rrcist:

This is not feasible, as people preference for single house is not a bad thing. Part of what we need is proper city planning, good layouts, and urbanisation, with strict building regulations. We have some of this, but they are not enforced.

What is not feasible there? Of course there will be single houses with beautiful compounds for those who can afford it. It would be tagged luxury and quite expensive that only about 10% of entire population will be able to afford it, and you must not have more than one of it.

Besides, what is the needs for proper city planning when it cannot be enforced? Even if it is, will you also compel individuals who cannot afford to build good houses on their land to do so? The reality is that, you can't have good cities with individuals erecting structures here and there, absolutely impossible.

Advantages of this policy;

1. Beautiful and well planned cities and structures.

2. Average income earners can easily afford owning their apartments/houses through flexible Mortgage system.

3. Corruption would be automatically reduced, this is because majority of looters spent their money on properties.

4. This will also accelerate or promote egalitarianism

5. The policy with forbid single individual from real estate business. If you want to do real estate business, buy share from companies mandated by law to do so.

6. It will be very easy for government to identify extremely low income people or unemployed who cannot afford to own houses/apartments. The real estate companies involved would have special buildings to let out to them at a subsidise rate from government.

7. Availability of good houses to buy or let out at affordable price withiout the issue of wicked Landlords or dubious properties agents.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 6:29am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

That was a part of New York.

There were other pictures of New York that you did not show.

Slums of New York

Even in 1887, it looked more organized than a lot of Nigerian street today!!

And besides, That was in 1887, Show me the same place today, I bet it has been transformed!!

Then show me a streets in Nigeria 70 years ago, compare with today, I bet it still look the same!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 6:34am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Even in 1887, it looked more organized than a lot of Nigerian street today!!

And besides, That was in 1887, Show me the same place today, I bet it has been transformed!!

Then show me a streets in Nigeria 70 years ago, compare with today, I bet it still look the same!

So, are you ready to do what New York did to get to good streets...which includes paying a lot more in tax to your local city authority?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 6:53am On Sep 07, 2023
ovcwality:
op you have a very low IQ, even if they give you Nigeria to govern for 100 years it will not change, because you don't have any solutions. And stop lieing, African countries with a good GDP per Capita have good roads, I followed an Indian they were amazed how the roads were nice, is only when they start reaching Cameroun to western Africa that the roads become horrible again. And all the Caribbean countries with good GDP are neat because the depend on tourism. I have never been there but I have seen some on YouTube, either you have a very low IQ or something must be wrong with your brain

Lol, I bet those Indians went to southern part of Africa, Which was still developed by the whites!!

Black people are yet to build a City!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 6:57am On Sep 07, 2023
ovcwality:
Sub Saharan African needs to do better, but from some of your views someone can easily see you are not smart/intelligent

How do you determine who and who is not Intelligent?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 7:15am On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

Why don't YOU shut up? Who do you think you are?

You're just proving the Op's point. They were able to do all those things you alleged because they were able to outsmart you and were more advanced.

If Africans had the capacity, why haven't they replaced those buildings and monuments since 1960?
Singapore was able to build up their country in the same time period.

The black race is the oldest race on the planet and has had a 200,000 year head start. But somehow, you're the babies of this world.

Damn!! grin grin

This is the best response ever!!
Africa had 200,000 year head start, But somehow we're the babies of the world

Bro I am dying, We're so fu**ked up mehn!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 7:26am On Sep 07, 2023
Reflect7:

THROUGH BRIGANDAGE.

All these things you typed, They made you know it!!

Stop acting like you make your own research, You only know what they want you to know!

And besides, In the olden days, Even from the time of Bible, Invading countries and starting a war is a normal thing, I've read a lot of Yoruba history like that, Like the Ogun Idahomi e.t.c

The Europeans are just smart with theirs by enriching their people with it, From the beginning of times, The European (White people) had the smallest landmass!

They came from a tiny continent, But today they have the largest landmass, From USA, To Australia, To New Zealand, Even Russia is a white Country!

It takes a lot of work to do all these things!!

Give it to them, They are just too smart!!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:
I was going to log off nairaland, cos I have some stuff to do, but I came across this guy's thread, and as usual, I was amused at the 'Africans are inferior' schitck that I see on threads like this. It always ends up like this.

So, why do our streets look bad?

Simple answer....we don't pay the type of tax that should make our streets look good.

In England, to use an example, every resident of a city (except university students for obvious reasons) pays something called a Council Tax. Which can range from anywhere between 120 pounds sterling to 200 pounds sterling MONTHLY. And it is that money that they use to develop their cities and make them look nice.

In Nigeria, I doubt that 1) anyone pays council or any kind of tax to the city 2) and even if they did it is not enough. And even if a state governor or LG chairman were to attempt to raise money that way, Nigerians, including the OP will cry....LET THE POOR BREATHE.

The harsh truth is that government in Nigeria is being nice to you. If they charged you the kind of taxes they charge in obodo oyinbo, you would cry tears of blood. Instead, they don't, so we share oyel money that is sufficent for a nation of ten million, not the 200 odd million we are.

We better stop shouting at ourselves, and stop abusing our selves, and start facing some home truths. If the whites in England did not pay council tax, their streets would look like African streets in five months. Making cities livable and good COSTS MONEY.

Shut the F**k up!!

Countries Like Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE(Dubai) Kuwait
e.t.c Are not taxing their people as much and they are growing at a faster rate, They have modern cities and towns

They built all these cities with The revenue they generated from selling crude oil, That's why the middle-east is called "Oil Money" countries

Nigeria has the same Oil, What have we done with it?? The money keep getting Embezzled on a daily basis, Can't even build a working refinery since 1960!

Even if all Nigeria pay their taxes, Which we actually pay, Since they deduct it from salaries as VAT, Even the people in the market selling pepper, rice, foodstuffs are given ticket by the government!!

Even bus conductor, Taxis and okada rider are given tickets, These are tax!!

What have we done with it? They keep looting the money and moving to America to enjoy life!

Stop defending rubbish!!

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 7:39am On Sep 07, 2023
oweniwe:

But about religion.

People do it for their compounds. The people that have money sometimes do it for their street too. There's a man on my side, HRM Friday Abaja who interlocked every single road in his community (umukwata).

Even in my community, someone bought nddc to tar up a large chunks of the internal roads.

So people can do it. People that give to religious institutions have their reasons. You can't tell them how to spend their money

If they don't want to be told how to spend their money, they shouldn't complain about the conditions based on their money choices.

What people spend their money on says alot about who they are. The only good looking institutions Nigeria can boast about are lavish churches. That indicates what Nigerians prioritise: greed, fantasies and delusions.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Islamisformumu: 7:42am On Sep 07, 2023
I agree with everything you said, but we're not in the 24th century bro😏

Raydos:
Why are we not building cities? Even most part of Lagos and Abuja still look like crap!!

Nigeria has the highest population of black people in the world, It's literally the home of black people!!

And it's saddening that it look like this in 24th century?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 7:50am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Shut the F**k up!!

You do know that Nairaland is a site, not your life?

e.t.c Are not taxing their people as much and they are growing at a faster rate, They have modern cities and towns

They built all these cities with The revenue they generated from selling crude oil, That's why the middle-east is called "Oil Money" countries

Qatar: 1.9 m barrels a day for 1.1 million people
UAE: 2.8m barrels a day for 12 million people
Kuwait: 3million barrels a day for 4.9 million people.
Saudi Arabia : 11million barrels a day for 40 million people

Nigeria: 1.6 million barrels a day for 230 million people.

Any questions?

And my point eventually is oil money is not enough for us. For us to be rich, we have to 1) be an exporter of manufactured goods and services 2) be an exporter of manufactured goods and servicies 3) be an exporter of manufactured goods and servicies 4) have a diversified economy which involves us being....an exporter of manufactured goods and services.

Which is why your governments are bad because...they do not want to go the route of us being a manufacturer of gooods and services. Because they are chosen by people who love imported stuff and don't want to be..(you get it now).

Nigeria has the same Oil, What have we done with it?? The money keep getting Embezzled on a daily basis, Can't even build a working refinery since 1960!

Note that I do not deny embezzeling happens...but if we used oil judiciosuly...at the end we produce the same amount of oil as Libya for a population that is 20 times that of Libya. We produce about half of the oil the UAE produces...and we have a population that is twenty times theirs.

Our leaders are korrupt, I DO NOT DENY THAT...but if they were not, we are still not having enough from oil. That is why we need a leadership that would make us become...an exporter of manufactured goods and services.

Even if all Nigeria pay their taxes, Which we actually pay, Since they deduct it from salaries as VAT, Even the people in the market selling pepper, rice, foodstuffs are given ticket by the government!!

Well, most Nigerians are not bus conductors or civil servants or in formal employment, most Nigerians work in the informal sector, and that area is notoriosuly undertaxed.

As at 2019, 30% of Nigerians pay the taxes you just mentioned. 30% of taxable Nigerians. That's not much. Our tax to gdp is even lower than Niger Republic self.

What you see is what you get.

What have we done with it? They keep looting the money and moving to America to enjoy life!

Yes, but when we ask you to join or form a party, you don't have the time...so, I guess the people will keep choosing the bad, until YOU stand up.

Stop defending rubbish!!

Well, if we want to be like the USA...we have to pay taxes like the USA, and like the USA, become an exporter of manufactured goods and services. The oil we have cannot sustain a country of 20 million people, talkless 220million.

Which is why you people should please for God's sake stop voting APC, PDP, LP and company and vote in some new parties.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Islamisformumu: 7:51am On Sep 07, 2023
Erm, bros, you can't really compare Nigeria's 1.3 million barrels of oil per day and population of 200 million with Saudi Arabia's 12 million barrels per day with a population of just 30 million.

I'm sure you can tell from that kind of distribution that in Saudi Arabia there's simply more money to go around than in an overpopulated wasteland like Nigeria. The same logic applies to the other Gulf states you mentioned like Qatar, UAE, Kuwait etc.

What Nigeria needs and what it has neglected is industrialization. By industrialization I mean REAL industrialization, not the manufacture of plastic plates and spoons like most of the few factories we have are doing.

Raydos:

Shut the F**k up!!

Stop defending rubbish!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by thirdi(m): 7:59am On Sep 07, 2023
The first thing to do is get rid of the house fences. totally disfigures the street. then the government should fully support and enforce compliance to design and planning. the goal should be dust control. if its open close it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Mindlog: 8:17am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Botswana is less than 3 million people, and is what Nigeria would be if our population was 5 million instead of the 230 million people.

Botswana's main export is diamonds. It is the seventh largest exporter of diamods, and it has just 2.9 million people. That's why it can afford good looking roads and streets.

Nigeria? We can't because our populaiton is too huge to rely on one single export, and that is if we used the money rightly. Countries like Nigeria that have a large population size and are prosperous also rely heavily on exporting manufactured goods and services, and taxable income. A multiplicity of money streams if you will.

If Botswana were to grow to 200 million people, and still rely on diamonds...it would be as bad as Nigeria.

Nigeria's population is burdensome because it is not productive as it should be and so much wastage in the system.

There are states in Nigeria with population less than 3 million residents and billions of naira passing through their systems daily with intentional leakages and deliberately not exploring their human capital resources by investing intentionally on them because it would impact hard on the amount they want to steal.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 8:20am On Sep 07, 2023
Islamisformumu:
Erm, bros, you can't really compare Nigeria's 1.3 million barrels of oil per day and population of 200 million with Saudi Arabia's 12 million barrels per day with a population of just 30 million.

I'm sure you can tell from that kind of distribution that in Saudi Arabia there's simply more money to go around than in an overpopulated wasteland like Nigeria. The same logic applies to the other Gulf states you mentioned like Qatar, UAE, Kuwait etc.

Erm bros, Nigeria population in the 1960s was only around 45million people, And oil already has been discovered

So Why didn't we start developing the country then? Since we had less population to worry about and more money to go round? And we had to wait for things to blow out of proportion, then we start complaining?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by oweniwe(m): 8:24am On Sep 07, 2023
1Sharon:

Nigeria can boast about are lavish churches. That indicates what Nigerians prioritise: greed, fantasies and delusions.

Why the emphasis on churches only? Is Christianity the only religion in Nigeria? The church is not responsible for the state of bad roads in the country. Churches build roads too. Just that there isn't much publicity about it.

Winners Chapel has offered to fix the entire length of the Sango Ota roads. The govt refused.

Who is responsible for building & fixing roads in Nigeria? It's the government

It's a matter of "Responsibility".

Is it right for a neighbor who is struggling to make ends meet to be feeding the children of rich next door neighbors whose parents are squandering their income on prostitutes, fancy laces and jeweleries and clubbing while their children are starving at home? It's not right. The most you as a good neighbor is to give the kids what you can afford once in a while. Let the parents wake up to their responsibility

So to say individuals and religious organizations should be building roads is very wrong in the first place. PEOPLE ARE PAYING TAXES & LEVIES FOR A REASON.

Do the governments abroad that built build beautiful roads & streets have two heads? Let the Nigerian governments sit up to their responsibility

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 8:24am On Sep 07, 2023
Mindlog:

Nigeria's population is burdensome because it is not productive as it should be and so much wastage in the system.

There are states in Nigeria with population less than 3 million residents and billions of naira passing through their systems daily with intentional leakages and deliberately not exploring their human capital resources by investing intentionally on them because it would impact hard on the amount they want to steal.

Well,even then, Nigeria is still a very poor nation, because we rely on oil, not on a diversified stream of income, and because we are not an exporter of manufactured goods and services.

Agree with you on the states though. But no state gets up to 6 billion dollars a year. Zamfara state has a budget of 250 million dollars this year, for example.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by owagbeba: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I've been to 15 states in Nigeria my whole life, and one thing I always notice is, Untarred roads, Lack of drainage system, Lack of proper planning e.t.c

Which always make me curious, Why does everywhere in Nigeria look like it got hit by a nuclear bomb? Why? Why don't we have modern streets and cities!!

Since the inception of Nigeria, I Don't think we have built any city, And please don't even mention Banana island, It's a piece of crap!!

It's sad that only about 3% of Nigeria is actually developed and the other 97% is just straight up piece of trash!!

Let’s do a critical analysis why the streets are trashy.

The local government / state government organizes town planning. But here in the Nigeria, individual home owner or builder do the planning. When there is no state involvement, it becomes chaotic. Most of the time the individual home owners or builders move into a new location before government notices, and ignores this new location until it gotten past the critical stage where some semblance of organization can be done.

When this new communities are formed, there is no paved road, no organized trash collection, no sticking to town planning rules because there is no town plan. Wooden stalls built in front of house, open drains and enforcement.

A way out of this apparent disorganized dwelling is the estate approach / gated communities with an estate management body. A body raised from amongst the resident to keep everyone in check.

It’s not about Low IQ as some have suggested. IT IS THE ABSENCE OF GOVERNANCE!
There is no one telling that landlord not to build a stall on the pedestrian foot path. No one is telling POS guy who has erected a shop along the road to quit. No one fined that landlord who projected his roof/zinc beyond the boundary of his land into the street. That Aboki burning wires by the road side to get metals. Or the one herding goats on a street corner. It’s all CHAOS because there is no enforcement, there is no government. Free for all… do as you like! Madness!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Raydos: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Qatar: 1.9 m barrels a day for 1.1 million people
UAE: 2.8m barrels a day for 12 million people
Kuwait: 3million barrels a day for 4.9 million people.
Saudi Arabia : 11million barrels a day for 40 million people

Nigeria: 1.6 million barrels a day for 230 million people.

Nigeria population in the 1960s was only around 45million people, And oil already has been discovered

So Why didn't we start developing the country then? Since we had less population to worry about and more money to go round? And we had to wait for things to blow out of proportion, then we start complaining?

??

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 8:30am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Nigeria population in the 1960s was only around 45million people, And oil already has been discovered

??

1.Well, we had been getting modern anemites back then...by 1960, we had a working rail system, a highway system, and the beginnings of a lot of modern cities, including some that were relatively new.

2. We were producing 113500 barrels of crude a day in 1960. Not the 12 million the Saudis were producing now.

3.Even then, again, our population is too large for us to live on oil or any other resource...hence our need to become an exporter of manufactured goods and servicies.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Corrections: 8:31am On Sep 07, 2023
ednut1:
Because we cant afford to maintain them. People also dont pay taxes. Politicians also love people to be in poverty easy to buy votes.

Please stop saying because people don't pay tax is the major cause for this. The billions that Nigeria generates from natural resources how have they the leaders been able to manage them? Is it right for some people to pay taxes only for some other in government to embezzle them and still go with little or no punishment?

9 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox / Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures) / Ibadan Bound Train Crossing Kajola Bridge. A Once Deeply Forested Area. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.