Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? (71971 Views)

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by harlesh(m): 11:32am On Sep 07, 2023
Is general question you self can answer it
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Wizardslayer: 11:32am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I'm starting to believe recently that we actually do have a low IQ!

We need a IQ test, Anyone whose IQ is below 100 should not be allowed close to governance!!

We can't be living like this in this modern day

I've said it several times in this forum that an average Black man is mentally retarded, let's say mentally sub.

Tell me why do the least fair skin Asians and South America do better than all black nations combined.
To produce a toothpick a white man has to be there for supervision, if not thing won't work.

If you check and balance it all you'll observe that the black man is too good and do much better when it comes to wickedness and corruption.

Most times I wonder if the black pigment on our skin is a spell or a curse. Our way of reasoning is below par, too poor but i think we can do better.

It's only in Africa and Nigeria a people will prefer to suffer to death, by voting a known and certified drug lord and corrupt ridden personality in the name of tribe and religion instead of doing the right thing.

The case with Nigeria is that I've come to conclusion that tribe and religion is making our diversity a curse instead of a blessing to our collective well being.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by LegacyB: 11:33am On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

I'm well-known for my innovations sir. That's all I can say.
Hahahah since ure well known .Please share just one here so we can copy you. We need to start learning from people like you. Pls share .
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by LegacyB: 11:34am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I've been to 15 states in Nigeria my whole life, and one thing I always notice is, Untarred roads, Lack of drainage system, Lack of proper planning e.t.c

Which always make me curious, Why does everywhere in Nigeria look like it got hit by a nuclear bomb? Why? Why don't we have modern streets and cities!!

Since the inception of Nigeria, I Don't think we have built any city, And please don't even mention Banana island, It's a piece of crap!!

It's sad that only about 3% of Nigeria is actually developed and the other 97% is just straight up piece of trash!!

What have you done personally to turn the trash to your dream country? Yapping around is only making it worse.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 07, 2023
tollyboy5:

Haven't you seen how Nigerians steal rail tracks, manhole covers, airport light and other things.
An average Nigeria drops refuse on the floor after eating by the road side or in a bus.

And you don't think poverty and poor education are the causes of that? In a country where systems work, that will not happen. Let's call a spade a spade abeg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 11:35am On Sep 07, 2023
Funny thing about this thread is that Nigerians want what the Europeans have without making the sacrifices the Europeans make.

All I know is, if we paid something like N100000 per month in council tax..for everyone earning 200000 per month, you will see nice looking cities in Nigeria. The poor would be more invested in seeing their money is spent right, and the leaders won';t dare steal money.

But it is far easier to engage in self flagellation and call black people dull.

Am out.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:
Funny thing about this thread is that Nigerians want what the Europeans have without making the sacrifices the Europeans make.

All I know is, if we paid something like N100000 per month in council tax..for everyone earning 200000 per month, you will see nice looking cities in Nigeria. The poor would be more invested in seeing their money is spent right, and the leaders won';t dare steal money.

Am out.

Have you seen any development with the taxes paid so far? Stop deceiving yourselves. People are willing to pay taxes in those regions because their systems work and there is transparency.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 07, 2023
Below is the reasonšŸ‘‡

The Greatest POVERTY in the entire history of Humanity.

That's how Nigeria will always look like except the country disintegrate.

When Trump said the country is a Shiiithole. Some Mumu people took it as offense.

Even POVERTY dey for Victoria Island, Lekki, and Island Extension. In short if you look deeply and closely very well, There is POVERTY everywhere in Nigeria.

Even for Abuja and Asorock, POVERTY still dey there. See how the FACE & SKIN of your president look like. Someone who is supposed to look fresh and clean but Wickedness no gree them
grin

Most Nigerians are extremely Filthy beings with no any iota of SHAME.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by qtx(m): 11:40am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I've been to 15 states in Nigeria my whole life, and one thing I always notice is, Untarred roads, Lack of drainage system, Lack of proper planning e.t.c

Which always make me curious, Why does everywhere in Nigeria look like it got hit by a nuclear bomb? Why? Why don't we have modern streets and cities!!

Since the inception of Nigeria, I Don't think we have built any city, And please don't even mention Banana island, It's a piece of crap!!

It's sad that only about 3% of Nigeria is actually developed and the other 97% is just straight up piece of trash!!
Which country did u just come from?
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 07, 2023
LegacyB:

Hahahah since ure well known .Please share just one here so we can copy you. We need to start learning from people like you. Pls share .

Sorry, but I'm not interested in saying more. I am already ashamed enough to be on a forum dominated by tribal and religious bigots. Make everybody just dey.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by shomutuski(m): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

My bro! This question will keep been asked, you know why? Nigeria was never meant to be, that was the first ever problem. We were matched together to drain our collective resources or helped the British control us better. Look at other countries and see how orderly they were as far back as the 60s.

Our leader also continued the same mode of ruling, the colonial masters used, If you deep it; no one gives a fck about the common man in nigeria. even comman man no send him fellow common man. I believe nigeria will never reach its potential until we trace our genesis back to the inception and ask the question- why are we together, what do we hope to achieve as a nation-

Only then i think, things will change but corruption has been institutionalized, its a cancer now in every citizens mind, Nigerians travel out and change, follow systems laid down in other countries think about it?

In my country here, no one sells fuel for you, you go and take it yourself and pay inside the mart, if you run no one will chase you. thats because there is a working system. Nigeria lacks order.

We have to fix the mind before we even think about changing our fortunes. Our country is too complex i tell you, different tribe, different religion. nah that diversity they kill us, truth be told. hausa hate igbos, igbos hate hausas, yoruba despise igbos, igbos despise hausa and I have not even talked about the hate between minor tribes like igala, calabar and others you see.

We need a common identity that all of these factors wont affect, ireland has so many local people but they are irish first before anything. I can keep writing my bro, it shows you how sad i am of my country. Nairaland is closest thing to home for me, but even here sef nah so so hate and tribalism.

Omo Nigeria no fit better oo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by tragergeorge(m): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
I'm starting to believe recently that we actually do have a low IQ!

We need a IQ test, Anyone whose IQ is below 100 should not be allowed close to governance!!

We can't be living like this in this modern day
you don chop belleful na
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by tollyboy5(m): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

And you don't think poverty and poor education are the causes of that? In a country where systems work, that will not happen. Let's call a spade a spade abeg
The older generation are worst when it comes to dirtiness. Most of them have passed it on to their children. Keeping your surrounding clean will also do you good but you see elderly people dumping refuse here and there and will also be the first to call out government. Well its still this same Seth of elders that are in government messing up everywhere.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by nairalanda1(m): 11:43am On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

Have you seen any development with the taxes paid so far? Stop deceiving yourselves. People are willing to pay taxes in those regions because their systems work and there is transparency.

1.We don't pay enough in taxes as a NATION (I'm not talking about your personal income tax...).

You can now call me a liar, but our tax rate is 24%, and about 70% of the population does not pay taxes to state and federal coffers. Largely because informal sectors.

Also, our government revenue is 80% dependent from oil revenue. If we were more serious about tax, we would not be that reliant on oil

2.The Oil Money is not Enough

Nigeria produces 1.6m barrles of oil a day. That's enough for Libya, a country of 8 million, to look nice. Enough for Qatar, a country of 1.1 million, to look nice and host the world cup even. Nigeria...220 million people. The stealing, corruption and looting makes our own matter worse.

And that 1.6 million provides 80% of government income.

Is that enough?

Oga, BEFORE you call me a government apologist, I AM NOT EXCUSING THE GOVERNMENT.

I AM NOT EXCUSING THE GOVERNMENT

The hard simple fact is that government has failed because WE DO NOT RUN A DIVERSIFED ECONOMY...and WE do not collect enough in tax.

Again, because we do not collect enough in tax, gobernment officals can loot because it is not 'our' money they are spending after all...it is oil income. LOL.

aLL BOILS DOWN to one conclusion, we must choose a leadership or make our leadership make us a nation that is reliant on exporting manufactured goods and services.

Good afternoon.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Beniyke1: 11:44am On Sep 07, 2023
Simeonjoe1:

Made up undecided
Really?

Even if it is, or could be; have you ever asked yourself why all your billionaires, the dangotes, Otedolas and lot others of their class donā€™t permanently live abroad in these wonderfully developed countries where they have expensive house, mansions, penthouses and even estates, but rather go on visits and vacation there.

Simply because people will hardly notice you with your affluence and expensive cars. Itā€™s almost a classless society and These people canā€™t survive there. Have you seen Atikus estates in Dubai? Why is he not living in the almighty Dubai? Because no one will notice him even with a limo Rolls Royce Cullinan; no alamajiri to line up at his gate to beg for food. Same as lot others of his class. Use your brain bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by KnownUnknown: 11:44am On Sep 07, 2023
Iā€™ve never heard of the potential leaders talk about creating strong institutions with proper laws, or building infrastructure like a modern drainage system and underground transportation system., or properly planning and zoning a city, or building a national highway system.

The British extracted the wealth, gave them a stupid religion, and didnā€™t even bother to build infrastructure. When the Nigerians took over, they didnā€™t build infrastructure either because they were too busy worrying about which ethnic group should rule the others and the northerners in particularly have been turned into savages by Islam.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by dyera(m): 11:44am On Sep 07, 2023
SmartPolician:

Black Africans have low IQ. We can choose to deny that, but facts are facts. The Black Africans lack innovation. That explains why Nigeria hasn't made appreciable progress since 60 years after independence.

We are also lazy and lack the desire to improve things around us. The paved streets that existed in Europe and Asia in the middle ages were done not with heavy machinery, but with pure labor force. We have the population, but we are not willing to work. Or maybe we don't have the brain to do so.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by LegacyB: 11:44am On Sep 07, 2023
Reinaldo:

Sorry, but I'm not interested in saying more. I am already ashamed enough to be on a forum dominated by tribal and religious bigots. Make everybody just dey.
Itā€™s better to be quiet sometimes when uā€™ve got nothing to better to say. Than just spew thrash. Now we ask for proof of your so called innovation but all you did was shut it down with tribal and religious sentiments.
I didnā€™t see where that came from though. The pix depicted Nigeria , Not Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Ibibio, Christian or Muslim affiliation. Hey if you canā€™t improve a system then donā€™t take the coward route of Bad mouthing it.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by moneyissweet(m): 11:45am On Sep 07, 2023
I can see osogbo and ogbomosho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Elsueno: 11:46am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
Then we go online and flaunt all the expensive cars and phones we have, all these things are not even invented by us, we contribute absolute nothing to the world

When I go to the street, I look at how nigeria look, Most of them look malnourished,

People struggling from the day they were born till the day they die

Most of them just wan marry & born plenty pickin immediately they get small change. They can't even plan well how to raise a family. Them br like "God go provide"

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Correct05: 11:46am On Sep 07, 2023
I like these write up. I can't understand our problem
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Jephyard(m): 11:47am On Sep 07, 2023
fineboynl:
The problem with black is lack of collective will.

The collective will is how wall of Jericho was built. The collective will is let us build a tower that reach heaven. The tower of Babel. Those things are the collective will blacks do not have.

Black people were never organised and never had a written text or history. They tell stories of the past which contradicts one another. Before the white men came they were naked with leaf and hagered looking.

When some of them begins to proper or get rich they oppressed one another and destroy people preserve to have bright star.

The history of the black race is not very interesting or educative like the other race. Modernization is been forced on us as it was never part of us and reasons we are finding it difficult.

Give a black youths big money. He will start throwing it in the air. Party and sex.

Everything you have said here it a lie. I don't know where you come from but it shows you don't know your history. I wish I can recommend site or resources that said otherwise but I won't. Because you won't read. So you are same as those you are describing. As they said an apple or a fruit doesn't fall far from it tree.

By the way what we actually lost was collective will or strong will. The generation that last had it was in the 70s to 80s.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by LegacyB: 11:47am On Sep 07, 2023
KnownUnknown:
Iā€™ve never heard of the potential leaders talk about creating strong institutions with proper laws, or building infrastructure like a modern drainage system and underground transportation system., or properly planning and zoning a city, or building a national highway system.

The British extracted the wealth, gave them a stupid religion, and didnā€™t even bother to build infrastructure. When the Nigerians took over, they didnā€™t build infrastructure either because they were too busy worrying about which ethnic group should rule the others and the northerners in particularly have been turned into savages by Islam.

You have a point though. But thereā€™s more to why we arenā€™t developed. E.g Corruption of theColonial masters and our own leaders.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Djkenny080(m): 11:49am On Sep 07, 2023
You are asking a rhetorical question.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 07, 2023
LegacyB:

Itā€™s better to be quiet sometimes when uā€™ve got nothing to better to say. Than just spew thrash. Now we ask for proof of your so called innovation but all you did was shut it down with tribal and religious sentiments.
I didnā€™t see where that came from though. The pix depicted Nigeria , Not Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Ibibio, Christian or Muslim affiliation. Hey if you canā€™t improve a system then donā€™t take the coward route of Bad mouthing it.

Lol...na by force? How can you solve a problem you can't identify. There's no badmouthing here. Just reality.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by correctguy101(m): 11:50am On Sep 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

Am out.

So all the billions being looted can't be used infrastructural development ? Yet you recommend the pilferers should be given more? Plus out of the little an ordinary Nigerian manages to get from work (With the current spending power of the naira, that sum won't take care of a family of 5, without them tightening their belt? Not to mention the very low population of Nigerians receiving that much as salary.

We've already seen how they use the funds they can lay their fingers on. No need to give them more.

I just paid my licensing fees for the year, and e don add an additional 1500naira...grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by 10thTenthMan: 11:50am On Sep 07, 2023
Every town,Every city, in Europe. (Note I donā€™t call them Developed, as that is relative and if I use my own yard stick to they arenā€™t very developed).

Each one you see starts first with a conscious effort to have a functional layout for ease of movement for commercial and recreational purposes. They think collectively. Roads, Side walks, tree lines, bicycle lanes, set backs, houses, etc. Neighbourhoods are laid out and planned to the last millimeter. In planning we say ā€œDevelopment that is not controlled leads to Chaosā€. That is what Nigeria is. WE DO NOT CONTROL DEVELOPMENT AND IT LEADS TO CHAOS. Whether by Commission or Omissions. We do what we ought not to do and we never do what we ought to do. And when this scenario happens THERE ARE USUALLY NO CONSEQUENCES, AS PEOPLE DO THESE THINGS AND GO SCOT FREE. The problem of Nigeria is therefore simply as this- THE LACK OF TIMELY, RELIABLE, AVAILABLE, AND APPROPRIATE CONSEQUENCES. Why do most Nigerians suddenly become model citizens the moment they land in a foreign airport. Because they know that even if Tinubu messes up, the small police boy will mess him up. So they conform. But the moment a flight lands in Lagos, come and see madness. The same Nigerians who at Schipol were behaving well suddenly know they are back to where nothing happens because there is poor monitoring or where you can easily bribe, intimidate and talk your way out of crimes, offenses and misdemeanors.

In the planning, conscious efforts are put in layouts and zoning, etc. These layouts and zones etc are made, then regulations are also made to ensue it isnā€™t destroyed. Dos and donts and created to ensure every citizen enjoy the utmost possible services and value from the layout. You just canā€™t start building shops and kiosks and ā€œbatchersā€™ā€™. In developed countries, They will be taken down and you will be fined. If you donā€™t tend your lawn in some places, you will be fined. Building designs and safety codes are enforced. ALL Buildings are inspected when built and must pass the inspection.

Look at Abuja today. Military men and politicians in GWARINPA block the sidewalks. Some have fenced their property up to the sidewalks. Some put their trash cans there. A space that is meant for ALL CITIZENS. THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA IS LACK OF CONSEQUENCES. Town planning is a government function. When the government fails, who is to be held responsible? Who is to face the consequences?. Hardly anyone does.

A Phasal re-planning and plan reclamation needs to be done. Poverty and economic hardship will be the biggest challenge to this. Because once you start, demolishing is inevitable. People will be rendered homeless and business affected. Hence there must be ways to cushion the effects.
Better enforcements also need to start in controlling newly developing areas in every state.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Hussein035: 11:50am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

God will help us

Hi

Another kind of Lekki is building up in Epe and right now our land is still cheap even though some are building and selling the whole house but we are selling land to ensure you don't miss this opportunity the way you missed Lekki phase 1 and phase 2

There will be presentation by next week on our Whatsapp group https:///BgoZ3UIpsDYF9V7NtoPhjS

I will advise you join if truly you want to buy land in the new Lekki now that it is cheap
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Ubanz: 11:51am On Sep 07, 2023
Bad government and poverty.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by blesdman(m): 11:51am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Because leadership has never thought along such lines and our people majority do not care too. They don't have such visions.
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Badadvisor: 11:51am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:
This is not only in Nigeria, This applies to every African countries,

Anywhere you see a white person, There are 97% chances that the place will be organized and clean

But anywhere you see a Black person, There are 100% chances it's gonna be a slum

Even far out of African down to the carribeans which is mostly habited by black people, It's also sh*thole, Even the most dangerous and dirty part of America are where black people live, they call it "HOOD
TrenchesšŸ˜
Re: Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? by Ynix(m): 11:52am On Sep 07, 2023
Raydos:

Lack of futuristic planning

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox / Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures) / Ibadan Bound Train Crossing Kajola Bridge. A Once Deeply Forested Area. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.