Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,320 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria (12351 Views)

List Of Ministers Who Plan To Travel Abroad After May 29 And Their "Excuses" / Xenophobic Violence: Why Are The Citizens Not In Their Countries? – Zuma / South Africa Says 67 Of Her Citizens Killed In Nigeria Building Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by ektbear: 6:20pm On Oct 17, 2011
Oletunow:

The whole of the last paragraph was dedicated to the Lagos State alone. Lagos is prominently mentioned in the alert and given more space and details than the other States, so I do not know what you guys are saying,

Correct. But there was no warning against travelling to Lagos. In fact:

U.S. citizens should contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the[size=18pt] U.S. Consulate General in Lagos for up-to-date information on any restrictions. [/size] The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is open Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.  The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is open Monday-Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  The U.S. Embassy in Abuja can be reached by telephone, including after-hours emergencies, at [234(9) 461-4000].  The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos can be reached by telephone, including after-hours emergencies at [234(1) 460-3600] or [234 (1) 460-3400].  You may also visit the U.S. Embassy's web site.

Hehe  grin
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:20pm On Oct 17, 2011
dayokanu:

So you had to go dig up security report of 10yrs ago? Why not those in the time of biafra or Nazi germany?

Is that the only one you saw?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by ektbear: 6:21pm On Oct 17, 2011
South-East: Kindly forward those articles to the US embassy. Maybe they will cause them to change their travel warning. Somehow i doubt it grin tongue wink smiley
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:22pm On Oct 17, 2011
Trave to Nigeria with caution, including Lagos
Australian Gov to her citizens

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Nigeria

Heehhe I dey laff oh
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 17, 2011
U.S. Consulate General in Lagos for up-to-date information on any restrictions

Dude is prolly Yoruba. Awon Yoruba wicked small sha. Ika agbaya.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 6:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
Anyone not satisfied can create his own website and state the "Do Not travel" States.

Maybe that would reduce Migration of other tribes to the South West.

United States of America citizens are safe in Lagos, Maybe Australian citizens needs to be worried
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:25pm On Oct 17, 2011
Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In - BBC

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-2176.0.html

Heheheheh
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by ektbear: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2011
LMAO!

From Nchara's link:

So Abia and Anambra are as unsafe as Borno (with Boko Haram) and Plateau?

Na wa o

So even Australia believes those places are no go? grin tongue wink cheesy smiley
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:27pm On Oct 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

South-East: Kindly forward those articles to the US embassy. Maybe they will cause them to change their travel warning. Somehow i doubt it grin tongue wink smiley

Hehehehe

Australia and the UK thinks otherwise (about Lagos)
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:27pm On Oct 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

LMAO!

From Nchara's link:

So Abia and Anambra are as unsafe as Borno (with Boko Haram) and Plateau?

Na wa o

So even Australia believes those places are no go? grin tongue wink cheesy smiley

What did it say about Lagos?

My point is that everywhere in Nigeria is unsafe.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by ektbear: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2011
They didn't even say "Travel with caution."

Australia flat out says, [size=18pt]don't go to Anambra, Abia, or Borno.[/size]

Anambra haram, Abia haram, Borno haram, says Australia.

Damn!

Cannot be good for tourism or foreign investment, eh? grin

May those states one day become as safe as the SW zone is.

In Jesus name, amen
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
Lagos Airport Not Safe - British Envoy

http://allafrica.com/stories/201006030378.html
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
I dont think that Lagos is the 5th worst place to live thing has stopped anyone from going there.

I'd think the migration rate to Lagos/ Tourism to Lagos kinda increased.

Miami is the worst place to live, ppl knows that. but Miami is still one of the top tourism zone.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
Crime increases at night in most areas, particularly in Lagos and on highways. We strongly advise you not to travel after dark. The number of authorised and unauthorised checkpoints in city centres also increases at night and requests to pay on-the-spot fines are not uncommon.

Australian Govt
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Oct 17, 2011
dayokanu:

Anyone not satisfied can create his own website and state the "Do Not travel" States.

Maybe that would reduce Migration of other tribes to the South West.

United States of America citizens are safe in Lagos, Maybe Australian citizens needs to be worried

again BULL . . . you do not make silly claims simply because you want to score another silly brownie for your god. The man himself does not deny the crime rate in Lagos. I am not sure why you would decide IT IS SAFE FOR US Citizens when records show that people in Lagos are suffering a crime increase as we speak. What are you trying to do with that? Give people a false sense of security just for a brownie point??
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2011
Q: Is Lagos safe?
A: As long as you are sensible and follow advice the city is safe during the day.
According to my husband's company policy, it's not recommended to walk around outside the compound at night. You are able to go out for social occasions, like dining, as long as you go in your car door-to-door. Our house is in a secure compound; you are given advice with regards to tradespersons but the compound is very secure and safe.

http://www.expatarrivals.com/article/interview-with-josephine-a-british-expat-living-in-lagos

How would anyone describe a place described with such words as safe?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2011
Seriously, I wouldnt live in Lagos.

But ppl who move there everyday must want to suffer then.

Once again, the states listed belongs on the list just fine, because I wouldnt live or travel there too.

America is just protecting its citizens. Nigeria would have told us to visit Iraq in 2008 for all they like.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2011
[size=13pt]Kidnappings continue to be another security concern. In 2011, there were three reported kidnappings of U.S. citizens in Nigeria. The most recent occurred in September in Ikeja, Lagos State.[/size] Others have occurred in the Niger Delta and in Imo State. Also, a British national and an Italian national were kidnapped in Kebbi state in May 2011. Since January 2009, over 140 foreign nationals have been kidnapped in Nigeria, including five U.S. citizens since November 2010. Six foreign nationals were killed during these abductions, while two U.S. citizens were also killed in separate kidnapping attempts in Port Harcourt in April 2010. Local authorities and expatriate businesses operating in Nigeria assert that the number of kidnapping incidents throughout Nigeria remains underreported.

. . . . .[size=13pt]Armed robbers in Lagos also access waterfront compounds by boat. U.S. citizens, as well as Nigerians and other expatriates, have been victims of armed robbery at banks and grocery stores and on airport roads during both daylight and evening hours. Law enforcement authorities usually respond slowly or not at all, and provide little or no investigative support to victims. U.S. citizens, Nigerians, and other expatriates have experienced harassment and shakedowns at checkpoints and during encounters with Nigerian law enforcement officials. [/size]Traveling outside of major cities after dark is not recommended due to both crime and road safety concerns.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5580.html

Let me guess, you will rebut that advisory by stating that all US Citizens are safe in Lagos except the one that was reported kidnapped last month??  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2011
Lagos crime-infested
Ogun ritualist-infested
Oyo deadly motor park touts-infested

Hehehee

We do not need the US to tell us where is safe
We who live in Nigeria know
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by stagger: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
The US government is extremely stupid.

More people are killed, mugged, raped in New York city than anywhere else. When you look at the atrocities committed by the US government in this world, you wonder why they issue such blanket falsehood.

Go to Wikipedia and read up the human experimentation projects carried out by the US government in the 1940s to 1970s and you will see what we are talking about.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
Kidnappings continue to be another security concern. In 2011, there were three reported kidnappings of U.S. citizens in Nigeria. The most recent occurred in September in Ikeja, Lagos State. Others have occurred in the Niger Delta and in Imo State. Also, a British national and an Italian national were kidnapped in Kebbi state in May 2011. Since January 2009, over 140 foreign nationals have been kidnapped in Nigeria, including five U.S. citizens since November 2010. Six foreign nationals were killed during these abductions, while two U.S. citizens were also killed in separate kidnapping attempts in Port Harcourt in April 2010. Local authorities and expatriate businesses operating in Nigeria assert that the number of kidnapping incidents throughout Nigeria remains underreported.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5580.html

Hehehehe
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2011
stagger:

The US government is extremely silly.

More people are killed, mugged, violated in New York city than anywhere else. When you look at the atrocities committed by the US government in this world, you wonder why they issue such blanket falsehood.

Go to Wikipedia and read up the human experimentation projects carried out by the US government in the 1940s to 1970s and you will see what we are talking about.

Its better to be killed at home than in another land, atleast they did their part by warning  grin
We all know that those Lazy Americans will eventually point their fingers at the airports for not warning them.
Where are you right now and why are you there? grin I'm sure you're not in one of those listed areas.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2011
I don't believe the claim is that Lagos is more unsafe than the rest of Nigeria. Lagos is a high crime state like much of that country and so it makes no sense to attempt to DENY this known fact.

Eastern States like Abia, Anambra, even Enugu are not exempt and certainly not the Niger Deltan hotspots or the always burning northern states.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2011
“When you get to Lagos, you have to stay in the bus station over night, because it's not safe to take a taxi at night.”

http://kristi-d.travellerspoint.com/36/
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:43pm On Oct 17, 2011
Armed robbers in Lagos also access waterfront compounds by boat. U.S. citizens, as well as Nigerians and other expatriates, have become victims of armed robbery at banks, grocery stores, and on airport roads during both daylight and evening hours.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_987.html

Lagos is safe. Heheheh
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:58pm On Oct 17, 2011
Villagers discover suspected kidnappers' den in Ogun State

By Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

August 1, 2011 02:04PM

A shocking discovery of what appears to be a den of kidnappers was made at the weekend in a village in Ogun State, with a number of decomposing mutilated bodies strewn across the spot.
A visit by NEXT to the site, in company of a local vigilante group who uncovered the site, near Labiade-Akaso village in Onipepeye Community, along Abeokuta-Owode-Sagamu expressway, revealed the bodies of some suspected victims of the killers, including the mutilated body of a baby.

However, as at the time of this report, a suspected member of the gang, allegedly caught inside a Jeep car near the spot, had been arrested and was being detained at Owode Police Station, while police sources informed that the suspect would be transferred to the police headquarters at Eleweran, Abeokuta for further interrogation.
Narrating how the den was uncovered, a leader of the vigilante group in Obafemi Owode Local Government, Sakiru Ewuoso said they received information from villagers about the suspicious movement of the suspect.

Mr Ewuoso said in view of this, the group accosted the suspect, who informed them that his car had a fault and that he needed some water for the radiator. He said his volunteers then provided the suspect with water, which he poured in the car's radiator and drove off.

However, because of their suspicion, he said his group decided to wait a while and went into hiding after the man left. The waiting paid off as, a few hours later, the suspect returned to the scene in the company of other suspected members of the gang and was freshly confronted by the vigilante group.
Mr Ewuoso said the suspects, on sighting the vigilante group, opened fire on them but they overpowered the suspects, leading to the arrest of one of them and confiscation of the Jeep car, while the others fled.

"In our search for those fleeing, we decided to comb the bush around the area, where we noticed a footpath, which eventually led them to the den, where numbers of corpses were discovered," he said. "The police was immediately alerted and they did not waste time in following us to the den, where they themselves saw the gory stage of some decomposed bodies. We had since handed over the arrested suspect to the police at Owode Police Station, along with the Jeep Car."
The traditional ruler of Owode-Egba, whose jurisdiction covers the community affected, Kolawole Aremu Sowemimo expressed shock over the development, recalling that information about the discovery was brought to his notice by the vigilante group.

"Following the information when the vigilante group came to my palace, I immediately alerted the local government authority and the police. So the police authority in conjunction with the vigilante group swung into action leading to the apprehension of one of the suspects," Mr Sowemimo said.

Fear in the village

He, however, appealed to his subjects to remain calm, saying all hands were on deck to get to the root of the matter.
"I don't want things like this in my domain, and I am also calling on all my subjects to always report any suspicious movement and unfamiliar faces," he said.
A resident of Labiade-Akaso village, Musiliu Osho said the situation was worrisome and village children might be forced to stop schooling because of the fear they might be kidnapped by suspected ritualists.

"Our children can now no longer go to schools on their own, except we take them there and return them," he said in Yoruba. "We have to stop them from going to school for fear of these ritualists. We are appealing to the state government to come to our aid."
The spokesperson of the State Police Command, Muyiwa Adejobi, equally confirmed the discovery as well as the arrest of a suspect, adding that investigation into the matter was in full course.

"The Commissioner of Police, Nicholas Nkemdene has ordered the transfer of the suspect to Eleweran Police Headquarters, while investigations have commenced in earnest," he said. "If the suspect is found wanting, he would not be spared while collaborators would also face the wrath of the law."

Back

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5736518-146/villagers_discover_suspected_kidnappers_den_in.csp
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Oletunow(m): 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2011
stagger:

The US government is extremely silly.

More people are killed, mugged, violated in New York city than anywhere else. When you look at the atrocities committed by the US government in this world, you wonder why they issue such blanket falsehood.

I think you failed to get the main point behind the alert, agreed more people get killed in NYC maybe than awaywhere else (I believe that is wrong, because I know camden nj is one of the worst in the USA, but that is not the main topic here), but majority of those deaths are gang against gang violence, drug dealing gone wrong, gangs trying to route out another gang, gangs seeking revenge, etc, If you remove gang violence plus the population density of NYC, you will discover it is a safe place to go. Plus the Police is easily accessible in NYC, There are about 10-20 Police in each city block, NYPD patrol cars everywhere and COPs on horse, etc that you really do not have to dial 911 to report a crime, if you walk a block you fine a Police to report the crime to or they might have seen the crime in action and they will be engaged immediately plus there are cameras all over, these attributes discourages crime alot.

If you have 1/1000000th of that Police presence in Lagos, I do not mean Police mounting road block or uniform men going home from work or going to the Office or guiding a particular building or Property, I mean Nigerian Police of MOPE deployed along Marina Road, CMS, etc primariry to protect the citizens and fight crimes, Lagos would be a safe price and the slow Police response in Nigeria is one thing pointed out the alert. Moreso, if the majority of the killings, kidnappings, crimes in Nigeria are gangs against gangs like it is in NYC; Lagos and Nigeria will be a safe place and there will be no need for the above alert, after-all if they want to kill-off each other, it appear to be better for everyone else,
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2011
Every nook and cranny of Nigeria is unsafe. Only an ignoramus will hope that his part of the country is safe
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by owobokiri(m): 7:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
All this shakara sef don dey too much. Who wan see them sef? The time MEND was busy kidnapping all 'kidnapables', oyibo kept trooping into the ND to check on their oil wells because na their them life dey. They know all the creeks of the Niger Delta more than any Ijaw man and are ready to dodge bullets to suck the wells dry. If they can visit the ND during those days inspite of the dangers, why all these shakara now? Abegi.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by logica(m): 7:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
I will be so glad if Americans (especially the "expatriates") follow this warning. Also all European countries (especially the UK) should issue the same warning and ensure their citizens stick to it. Good riddance.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by werepeLeri: 7:30pm On Oct 17, 2011
IS THIS NEW? I wonder whoever thinks American citizens take this serious. Ask the thousands of them in Abuja alone. LOL.

Why do you want to loose sleep over this statement that has recurred over how many years?

Nigerians. Foreigners who read Nairaland will find it dangerous to visit Nigeria much more than the travel alert.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2011
owobokiri:

All this shakara sef don dey too much. Who wan see them sef? The time MEND was busy kidnapping all 'kidnapables', oyibo kept trooping into the ND to check on their oil wells because na their them life dey. They know all the creeks of the Niger Delta more than any Ijaw man and are ready to dodge bullets to suck the wells dry. If they can visit the ND during those days inspite of the dangers, why all these shakara now? Abegi.

You don't get it do you? Many of these US Citizens being advised are Nigerians -- dark skin and all like you. Most likely the one that was kidnapped in September was a Nigerian who also happens to be an American citizen. Why do we like to reason only with one side of our brains on these issues

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Re Multinational Company's Avoiding South East Region / President Buhari Receives The President Of Guinea-Bissau, Sissoco Embalo / Nigeria’s Unity Beyond 2023 Is My Priority – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.