Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,290 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria (12354 Views)

List Of Ministers Who Plan To Travel Abroad After May 29 And Their "Excuses" / Xenophobic Violence: Why Are The Citizens Not In Their Countries? – Zuma / South Africa Says 67 Of Her Citizens Killed In Nigeria Building Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by johnblaze1: 1:26am On Oct 18, 2011
find out what the US said about nigeria
http://blackenterpreurs..com/
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by pkv(m): 1:27am On Oct 18, 2011
Make dem go kiss camel!
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by ShyOne(f): 3:03am On Oct 18, 2011
gosh I just re-read the article - it is dated April 2011 - this is October 2011 - that article is old and hasn't been updated - that travel announcement.

ok - I thought it was recently updated - I knew about this back in April.

OK all is good - it won't stop my travel.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Oletunow(m): 3:51am On Oct 18, 2011
UgoBabe:

COME ON!!!! 10-20 police officers for where?? which part of nyc do u see this sort of police presence?? you don't even see that in the downtown city sections unless something is going on, you're over over over overrrrrrrrrr exagerating bro,

NYC have a land area of about 305 square miles with about 34,500 Police officers, you can do the maths. I could not find any figure for Lagos, but according to wikipedia writing about Nigeria stated that , "By 1983, according to the federal budget, the strength of the NPF was almost 152,000, but other sources estimated it to be between 20,000 and 80,000. Reportedly, there were more than 1,300 police stations nationwide", Even if you double the higher Nigeria number(152,000) for a land area of 351,649 square miles, i.e. about one Nigeria Police for one square land mile area, but NYC is about 113 police officers for one square land mile area, I ignored all variables like how officers are on leave, in investigative duties, vacation, etc, because it will be a wash between both places.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by ndukwejoe(m): 3:52am On Oct 18, 2011
These are serious minded country not this thing we see here, we ve a long long way to go.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast2: 4:03am On Oct 18, 2011
Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs

Print
    Email

Nigeria
April 15, 2011
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_928.html

Okay! So this is an old travel advisory. The current one to be released soon will include Lagos (as has always been), Ogun, Oyo and Ekiti (land of marijuana)
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:05am On Oct 18, 2011
USA, thanks for the warning. Explains a lot, actually tongue
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by arsenefc: 4:07am On Oct 18, 2011
No Yoruba state on that list.

Speaks volume

Where is South East?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Goodluck5: 4:19am On Oct 18, 2011
Wise men, pls advice me am in need of a recognized company in PH that deploys networks, configure networking equipment and do excellently in networking generally. I beg advice me. cry
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kx: 8:27am On Oct 18, 2011
Why was Abuja excluded from the list especially in the light of the UN Bombing, Police HQ bombing etc?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by unite4real: 8:49am On Oct 18, 2011
Abeg, this is an old publication. it was published since April. alot of things have happened since then to redeem this unholy image.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by tiwiex(m): 9:11am On Oct 18, 2011
This news is stale. Was posted April 15. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_928.html. Na wa for Nigeria. They are really right. Not just a lack of security but also information.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 18, 2011
Why should one lose sleep over this? If they like, they should stick their ass back in the US, Let us make do with the Chinese!
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by hildaa(f): 10:00am On Oct 18, 2011
Nigeria is Nigeria, irrespective of the state
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by joneslaure: 10:33am On Oct 18, 2011
They are just looking out for their citizens, Nigeria or any other country will do same if US get that bad.sorry for us though,more countries will still issue similar warning to their citizens in time to come.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by oresajo(m): 11:23am On Oct 18, 2011
D Americans r foolish set of pple dat thinks dey r d cleanest of all! Y didn't dey talk to dia embassy to refund all d visa money paid by nigerians dat dey didn't grant stay in dia obodo yankee? Let us not go to dia yeye country again jooo,
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by muelzik(m): 11:42am On Oct 18, 2011
[flash=200,200]http://, Niger Delta states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa,[/flash]

You mean to say Niger Delta States of Bayelsa
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by question(m): 11:48am On Oct 18, 2011
lol. Who cares?

It should be the other way round.
Nigeria warns her citizens not to travel to USA.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Oct 18, 2011
@Kx
Abuja and Lagos can never be included on the list. Even if there's an average of 3 bombs per day in Abuja. America is a hypocritical country.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kx: 12:03pm On Oct 18, 2011
unite4real:

Abeg, this is an old publication. it was published since April. alot of things have happened since then to redeem this unholy image.

tiwiex:

This news is stale. Was posted April 15. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_928.html. Na wa for Nigeria. They are really right. Not just a lack of security but also information.

Why dont we make a little effort bfore we conclude that nigerians lack not only security but info as well?
Funny how October 2011 turned to April 2011 by una standard!

Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

Print
   Email

Nigeria
October 13, 2011

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Nigeria, and continues to recommend U.S. citizens avoid all but essential travel to the Niger Delta states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers; the Southeastern states of Abia, Edo, Imo; the city of Jos in Plateau State, Bauchi and Borno States in the northeast; and the Gulf of Guinea because of the risks of kidnapping, robbery, and other armed attacks in these areas. Violent crime committed by individuals and gangs, as well as by persons wearing police and military uniforms, remains a problem throughout the country. This notice replaces the Travel Warning for Nigeria dated October 19, 2010, to update information on recent violent activity and crime in Nigeria.

On August 26, 2011, a suicide bombing at the UN Headquarters in Abuja killed 23 people and wounded more than 80 other individuals. This attack was the first against an international organization and the fourth bombing in Abuja during the past year. It followed a similar bombing against the Nigerian Police Force Headquarters ten weeks earlier that killed five individuals on June 16.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5580.html
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:22pm On Oct 18, 2011
afam4eva:

@Kx
Abuja and Lagos can never be included on the list. Even if there's an average of 3 bombs per day in Abuja. America is a hypocritical country.

Correction: Lagos is on the list. It only takes your reading the document to figure this one out.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2011
If Nigeria is claimed to be so unsafe, how come Brandy showed up for MTN Project Fame and left without being kidnapped?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kx: 12:33pm On Oct 18, 2011
obongproff:

If Nigeria is claimed to be so unsafe, how come Brandy showed up for MTN Project Fame and left without being kidnapped?
So Brandy visiting unscathed has become a yardstick for assessing how secure nigeria is to u?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 12:40pm On Oct 18, 2011
Brandy should have taken time to check out the sites and sound of Iyana Ipaja and it's night life.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by vocalist(f): 1:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
Na 2day, abeg make i hear word for this white chicken people, watin then dey feel like, abi them bi JESUS WAY DEY GIVE LIFE, thank God say then no bi JESUS, all african people for don die finished. THEN the jealous Nigeria because they plan no work, although they plan being work for Libya , South Africa but as far as naija is concern we smart pass them, so dey vex, because say then no fit control our oil. MUMU People, watin then one come do for me here?
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by hardbody: 7:47pm On Oct 18, 2011
Na wa 4 una ooo. Lagos is crime infested, ogun is a ritualist state, in maiduguri dem dey nukke everywhere and everybody abi? Fine. Make leave us 4 we country nah, iz it by force 2 come 9ja? Americans and US citizens should stay in their paradise and leave us alone. I am currently in traffic on my way from work and chatting with a Torch, they havent robbed me yet, maybe they will someday, but until dey do, we dey here kampe. U guys should leave us alone to live in the den of robbers, enjoy ur secured states abeg. Lets talk about other value adding things. If 9ja na so so robbers, how does if worry u guys ehn? Na wa oo.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Oletunow(m): 1:10am On Oct 19, 2011
afam4eva:

Brandy should have taken time to check out the sites and sound of Iyana Ipaja and it's night life.

The main purpose of these State Department travel warnings/publications is not prevent America Citizens from visiting certain Countries or Places, These warnings serves about three purposes, 1. It is the duty of the State Department to put out these warnings. They are bound by law to warn American Citizens abroad of the dangers they might face in those places, so they are just fulfilling their day to day task, 2. They are also trying to limit their liability should any Citizen who fall victim in those countries/places or their relatives sue the State Department for failing to discharge their duties to warn them of the dangers in visiting such places, 3. Insurance Companies in the US use these publications to reprice their risks portfolio (e.g. It will now be more expensive if someone traveling to Nigeria to get a traveller life insurance coverage and life insurance premium the Oil companies in those regions pay on behave of their workers might be repriced upward) and it might determine their liabilities to a previously insured American, who despite these warnings venture into those places and met with harms and his relatives ack in the USA want to cash in on the person's accident/life insurance policy.

At the end of the day, these warnings does not prevent majority of travelers who need to visit these places, after-rall the US have not diplomatic ties with Iran for many years now and the US consider that Country one of the axes of evil but we still hear of America Citizen going to that Country for hiking and ending up getting detained by the Iranian government.

So, relax it is all well.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast1: 1:15am On Oct 19, 2011
My ordeal in ritualists’ den – 14-year-old student

News Tuesday, October 18, 2011

BY GBENGA ARIYIBI

ADO-EKITI-It was a joyful reunion when a 14 year-old, Ranti Opeloye, earlier abducted by a syndicate involved in ritual killings in Ado Ekiti, regained her freedom and returned home after four days sojourn in the ritualists' den.

advertisement

Ranti, a student of All Soul's Anglican Grammar School, Ado Ekiti, was seized by a six-man gang of ritualists from where she had gone to buy vegetable at Basiri area of the state capital around 4 p.m.

They took her to an unknown destination, after being charmed.

Apparently rejected by the oracle in the forest where she was taken to, the young girl was later dumped at a remote area in Ado Ekiti the following Thursday after spending four days with her abductors

Narrating her ordeal to newsmen, Ranti recounted how she was ordered by members of the gang to enter a waiting vehicle which was used for the operation.

The teenager, whose father , Mr Kolade Omolade, a native of Afao Ekiti is a Traffic Warden with the Ekiti State Police Command said, the men immediately covered her face with a black hood and drove her into a bush, where she was tied to a tree alongside several other old and young victims.

Continuing, she said she saw a deep cave where the ritualists took the next victim to and got an envelope in exchange, which she suspected to be money after the victim had been certified to be appropriate for the ritual.

The released victim suspected the two students kidnapped alongside with her to be students of Christ's Girl School, Ado Ekiti, adding that the students had not been killed when she was relased. .

"The three of us were hung outside the cave, but I knew that those that were the real ritualists were inside the cave.

"When a victim is taking into the cave and he is good for ritual, they will give the kidnappers an envelope, which I think contains huge amount of money".

Explaining how she finally escaped she said; "On Thursday when I was to be killed, I struggled with them as they were dragging me into the cave and a man just emerged and ordered them to take me to where they picked me without giving the reasons and that was how I was charmed again and I became unconscious until I was brought into this Church".

Corroborating, Ranti's sister, Mrs Kemi Olayiwola, who sighted her where she was dropped and brought her to a Church said, she could neither stand nor speak when she was brought to the Church.

Adding that members of the family had searched for the victim everywhere in the State capital without success before she was found.

Speaking in the same manner, the leader of the Church, Pastor Lanre Idowu told the newsmen that he had to hurriedly assemble the Church's prayer warriors for a special prayer session before Ranti could regain her consciousness.

"She behaved like a slowpoke when she was brought here, but after about one hour of prayers , she began to regain her consciousness".
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by SouthEast1: 1:23am On Oct 19, 2011
Silinu Sogbonsi was five years old when unknown men seized him as he walked home from school in Selinu, a little town in the southeast of Benin, near the Nigerian border. Blindfolded, he was pushed him into a waiting car which sped away.

For several days, Sogbonsi was hustled along by his captors on motorbikes through bush paths and on buses along highways.

Finally he arrived in a little village he was to identify as Alamutu, near Abeokuta city in southwest Nigeria. Here Sogbonsi joined other children, aged five to 15 on a daily routine to dig up stones for their masters from the quarries that litter the area.

The children, who earned 50 naira (US $0.38) a week, each worked 12-16 hours, crushing enough gravel to generate 35,000 naira ($269). Every evening a lorry delivered the gravel to construction sites in Nigeria’s southwest region.

"We often slept in the forest where we dug," Sogbonsi, now eight, told the police and officials of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) that recently rescued him. "We were always tortured and beaten, at times until we fainted."

He was one of the 194 children rescued by the police from various work sites around Abeokuta between September and October this year and returned to Benin under a renewed crackdown on human traffickers.

All the children had the tell-tale signs of malnutrition – yellowing hair, skinny limbs and distended stomachs – in addition to palms calloused by two to six years of digging granite.

Police said at least 13 children from Benin were found dead and buried around the sites where they had worked before the racket was cracked, following a tip-off by local people and non-governmental organisations.

Thousands of children in Nigeria

Security agencies and human rights workers blame traffickers operating an international network that covers most of West and Central Africa and several European cities, for the plight of tens of thousands of children exploited for their labour and women bonded into prostitution.

Some of the children returned to Benin said they were taken willingly from their impoverished parents in remote villages with promises that they would be taught useful skills in the cities. Others were obtained in exchange for token gifts (such as bicycles, radio and television sets) and promises of monthly payments that never came.

Yet there were several, like Sogbonsi, who were kidnapped – indicating a new level of desperation among the criminals.

Nigerian police said its intelligence reports indicate that 6,000-15,000 children trafficked from Benin were being used as child labourers in Nigeria. The largest concentration is believed to be in the southwest states of Ogun, Lagos, Oyo, Ondo and Osun. Most of them work in cocoa farms.

"We are still expecting more recoveries and more handovers of children to their home country," Chris Olakpe, Nigerian police spokesman, told IRIN.

Yet the movement of children between Benin and Nigeria forms only one part of an increasingly sophisticated regional trend in human trafficking.

Other children from Benin and Togo are brought to Nigeria in transit to destinations like Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea – where the boys are often used as farm labourers and girls as domestic hands or LovePeddlers.

The trafficking routes

The children destined for Central African countries are usually moved from the southwest to southeast Nigeria - on the Atlantic coast bordering Cameroon - from where they are put in sea vessels that transport them to these countries.
seems the ijaw are collaborating in this evil act Undecided Undecided

The journey is often hazardous, the vessels locally built without navigational equipment and the children invariably overloaded along with goods. In the last decade, hundreds of children have perished in the Atlantic waters in accidents in which vessels carrying them, sank.

In recent years hundreds of such children have been returned from Gabon and Equatorial Guinea with the assistance of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the Nigerian embassies there.

Traffickers are also active in Burkina Faso and Mali, where children are recruited and taken to Cote d'Ivoire to work in the cocoa farms of the world's leading producer. Most of the children originate from Mali and are boys from the areas of Ségou, Sikasso and Mopti.

Activists say trafficking networks to Côte d'Ivoire were established in Mali in the early 1990s due to a demand for cheap labour on its cotton plantations. Most of the children are recruited by intermediaries who sell them to plantation owners.

Others were promised work by relatives or friends and arrived on the plantations, mines, construction sites passing through family networks.

In Ghana children have for decades been bonded to fishermen in the Volta Lake region where they worked long hours for little or no pay. In September hundreds of these children were freed from the employment of these fishermen. A draft Trafficking In Persons Prevention Bill has been prepared by the Ghanaian authorities to check the practice.

Women trafficked to Europe

Equally worrying are the activities of human traffickers in West Africa which operate criminal rings that specialise in obtaining women and sending them to Europe to work as LovePeddlers.

Activists estimate that 60 percent of LovePeddlers walking the streets of Italy are from Nigeria. Spain, France, Belgium and The Netherlands also have significant populations of LovePeddlers from West Africa.

Titi Abubakar, wife of Nigeria’s Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who runs the Women Trafficking and Child Labour Eradication Foundation (WOTCLEF), said 19,774 Nigerians have been deported from Europe since 1999 for offences related to trafficking and prostitution.

Between March and August 2003 alone 4,835 Nigerians, mostly women, were either arrested in Europe or deported to Nigeria for similar reasons.

Traffickers who specialise in taking young women to Europe, where they are held in debt bondage and forced into prostitution, have established networks all over West Africa, according to police and NGO sources.

From bases scattered all over the region the women are taken on the tortuous journey across the Sahara Desert to destinations in Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Libya, from where attempts are made to smuggle them to Europe.

"Every year scores of young men and women die either from dehydration during the Sahara crossing or by drowning in the Mediterranean Sea while trying to reach Europe," an Interpol official told IRIN in Lagos.

Security agencies, local NGOs and UNICEF and the International Labour Organisation (ILO), who have been involved in battling human trafficking in West Africa in the past decade, believe the trend is growing despite their efforts.

http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?reportid=47205
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:44am On Oct 19, 2011
Shy-One:

gosh I just re-read the article - it is dated April 2011 - this is October 2011 - that article is old and hasn't been updated - that travel announcement.

ok - I thought it was recently updated - I knew about this back in April.

OK all is good - it won't stop my travel.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5580.html

Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
PrintEmail
Nigeria

[size=14pt]October 13, 2011[/size]

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Nigeria, and continues to recommend U.S. citizens avoid all but essential travel to the Niger Delta states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers; the Southeastern states of Abia, Edo, Imo; the city of Jos in Plateau State, Bauchi and Borno States in the northeast; and the Gulf of Guinea because of the risks of kidnapping, robbery, and other armed attacks in these areas. Violent crime committed by individuals and gangs, as well as by persons wearing police and military uniforms, remains a problem throughout the country. This notice replaces the Travel Warning for Nigeria dated October 19, 2010, to update information on recent violent activity and crime in Nigeria.

On August 26, 2011, a suicide bombing at the UN Headquarters in Abuja killed 23 people and wounded more than 80 other individuals. This attack was the first against an international organization and the fourth bombing in Abuja during the past year. It followed a similar bombing against the Nigerian Police Force Headquarters ten weeks earlier that killed five individuals on June 16. These bombings were in addition to bombings elsewhere in Maiduguri, Suleja, and Jos throughout the last year.
Re: Usa Warns Her Citizens Not To Travel To Nigeria by arsenefc: 5:53am On Oct 19, 2011
^^^

You must be really sad in RL.

Very pathetic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fresh Crisis In Southwest PDP Over Kashamu / Funso Doherty's Letter To Governor Sanwo-Olu On ₦1 Trillion Issuance Programme / Governors Show Less Concern As Fuel Scarcity Bites Harder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.