Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,618 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators (32740 Views)

Tinubu Presidential Legal Team Clarifies 'header' On copies of PEPC Judgement / All 3 Senators From Benue Dump Governor Ortom, Endorse Atiku / Umahi’s Defection: PDP Suspends 3 Senators, 5 Lawmakers, Others In Ebonyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ProphetM0hammad: 3:37pm On Sep 11, 2023
ValarDoharis:
Does it matter? People are resident there now!
So the people resident there have voting supremacy over you
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ElSudani: 3:38pm On Sep 11, 2023
ValarDoharis:
Does it matter? People are resident there now!

Yes, and we are all equal stakeholders in Abuja FCT regardless of where you came from in Nigeria.
That is what the constitution says.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ValarDoharis: 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2023
If Abuja is like other states then make it like other states!

You cannot approbate and reprobate at the same time
ElSudani:

Yes, and we are all equal stakeholders in Abuja FCT regardless of where you came from in Nigeria.
That is what the constitution says.

2 Likes

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ValarDoharis: 3:42pm On Sep 11, 2023
Make Abuja like other states. Simple!
ProphetM0hammad:

So the people resident there have voting supremacy over you
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ValarDoharis: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2023
Are they chasing your shadow?
OGHENAOGIE:
something that won't see the light of day they're wasting time and chasing shadows like obi
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ProphetM0hammad: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2023
ValarDoharis:
Make Abuja like other states. Simple!
It's not by force.
It's not something to do because those who lost election are suggesting it

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ElSudani: 3:45pm On Sep 11, 2023
ValarDoharis:
If Abuja is like other states then make it like other states!

You cannot approbate and reprobate at the same time

You need to read the laws that created Abuja to understand the absurdity of what you are saying.
Abuja is like other States for the purpose of presidential elections doesn't mean Abuja is a state.
The laws governing the status of Abuja are clear.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by Opeyemi4real(m): 3:47pm On Sep 11, 2023
ElSudani:

No. You don't know anything. I am telling you the fact, not what you think it should be.
Rather than insults why don't you tell me which part of the FCT belongs to whom.
Many of you don't know anything about your country yet you come online to rant about nonsense.
I live in Abuja. I think that should educate you and librate you from your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ValarDoharis: 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2023
You said Abuja residents do not have two heads. Now tell me, other residents of other states have the opportunity to be governors but Abuja indigenes/residents can never be governors....how's that fair?
ElSudani:

You need to read the laws that created Abuja to understand the absurdity of what you are saying.
Abuja is like other States for the purpose of presidential elections doesn't mean Abuja is a state.
The laws governing the status of Abuja are clear.

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by oyatainer(m): 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2023
LesbianBoy:
The judgement on this particular 25% issue and the double nomination were the most laughable of all the judgements.

The corrupt judges said that its should be referred to as a state. Oya where is the governor and what is the capital of FCT? They also ruled that shettima double nomination WAS NOT INTENTIONAL. Can you imagine? shocked shocked

And APC supporters agreed to such a fraudulent ruling. If it's like that, all those in jail for one offence or the other should be released after all they didn't do it intentionally too grin grin grin grin

NIGERIA WILL NEVER BE GREAT angry

Tribalistic yorubas think they are doing igbos but what they don't know is that they are doing everyone including themselves. As it stands now the future of the unborn generation doesn't look good in that useless country when things like these keep happening. Japa if you can!

Common sense is applicable here. Anything that makes Shetima not to be qualified for the election makes Obi automatically out of election as well. It is a pre-election matter and shoudnt be made to come under the post election. It is stipulated. Thats why people are blaming Obi's lawyers as quack. They are like Doctors who dont know when to perform surgery.

I anyone more tribalistic more than Igbo in this country. They only read tribalism to everything. You are miserable, bitter, hateful and will remain like that for long because you burn bridge rather than build it

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ElSudani: 3:53pm On Sep 11, 2023
ValarDoharis:
You said Abuja residents do not have two heads. Now tell me, other residents of other states have the opportunity to be governors but Abuja indigenes/residents can never be governors....how's that fair?

Abuja FCT is under the exclusive control of the Federal government. Therefore, the government can appoint any qualified Nigerian to administer it.

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by Coronavirus1: 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2023
ElSudani:
The original inhabitants of the FCT were relocated. So, who are these indigenes?
Relocated to which state in Nigeria or still within the FTC.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ElSudani: 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2023
Opeyemi4real:
I live in Abuja. I think that should educate you and librate you from your ignorance.

You live in Abuja and so what?
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by Coronavirus1: 3:56pm On Sep 11, 2023
JuanDeDios:

So you believed Abuja people had two heads. Since the court said they didn't, the territory's status should be changed to Abuja State. Na wah for una.
Lagos was formal capital of Nigeria and its a state so what is the difference between Abuja and Lagos?
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by Larryton(m): 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2023
MEGAWATCH:

So who owns Lagos afterwards, That was a slave colony?

Lagos belongs ro the Yorubas, deal with it.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ElSudani: 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2023
Coronavirus1:

Relocated to which state in Nigeria or still within the FTC.

Let me break it down for you in simple terms. Only the Federal government according to the law have exclusive and absolute authority over the FCT.

There are no omo onile in Abuja, the law doesn't recognize that.

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by JuanDeDios: 4:05pm On Sep 11, 2023
wirinet:

Still continuing on red herring arguments. If you have studied how run off elections are conducted, you will know that run offs are won by simple majority. Run off elections are held by the two leading candidates after a general election where the winning candidate out of multiple candidates was able to win 25% in 2/3 states.

A runoff is won by simple majority.

Please explain what is meant by "IN MATTERS OF JUDICIAL INTERPRETATION".

Please stop going on the tangent by introducing more red herrings. We are not talking about what each state contribute to the country, we are discussing the status and rights of the people of FCT to choose their political leaders, and if they are granted any special status in Nigeria.

Many Governorship elections had been won at the courts purely on technical grounds, David Lyon was sacked by the Supreme Court basically because his deputy, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, presented false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission.

I know how runoffs are run. And it only demonstrates the ludicrousness of the 25% argument. I mean, if a runoff is held between, say Tinubu and Obi, and Obi wins in every other material way but scores 24.67% of Abuja while Tinubu wins 75.33% of Abuja but loses in every material way, what then happens? You’re much too smart not to have seen this is where I was going when I talked of the constitutional problems that will be created by 25%. Unless you’re saying the old rule of runoffs (simple majority) then applies and Abuja and its people suddenly lose their specialness. Ludicrous.

The argument about contribution is logical if one part of the country is to be given special status. Not sure why you think it’s a red herring. Where does the constitutional provide for “special status for the PEOPLE of Abuja”? People of FCT. People of Nigeria. What sections of the constitution confer privileges on the one but not on the other in these matters that can help us out here? (I can show you the law that equates Abuja to other states). And is there a precedent - e.g., when Lagos was federal capital, did its residents have supervotes? Do the residents of London or Washington DC exercise veto votes over the rest of the country?

Fair point about technicalities. Yes, cases are won on them every day of the week. I just don’t buy it. You either won an election or you lost. But this isn’t about my views. What I said to you is that if you say you won an election then you rely on technicalities, you risk being laughed out of court – as Labour and PDP were laughed out of court for their “ludicrous” arguments. Labour and PDP said they won – and the world waited for them to prove it – with ward by ward results, I scored this here, he scored this here, this is what INEC released, etc., the way Oshiomhole did. That’s your surest route to victory. And that’s why a kid of six can tell you they’re wasting their time at the Supreme Court.

To answer your Abuja interpretation question, maybe you should hear from the horse’s mouth. There’s a case, Kayode vs FCDA. Read it.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by DaTruths: 4:11pm On Sep 11, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
u should go goggle urself Washington DC is different from Washington that's a State... Obi ll never rule Nigeria no matter the nonsense u guys do online and offline...

Even if he doesn't Rule, another igbo man would still rule.
Obi is not the only person that can rule Nigeria.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by ValarDoharis: 4:17pm On Sep 11, 2023
Your concern is Obi amd not necessarily equity
ElSudani:

Abuja FCT is under the exclusive control of the Federal government. Therefore, the government can appoint any qualified Nigerian to administer it.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by Dohn: 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
PortHarcourtcit:
go and sit down my friend... You, pityobi and Ipob miscreants will still end up in shame... If you doubt me let's place a bet ... Failure equal to Ipob raised to power pityobi...

ANODA BRAIN DEAD BIGOT SPOTTED
GODFORBID

1 Like

Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by jcross19: 4:45pm On Sep 11, 2023
casualobserver:

There is nothing like FCT indigene anymore, they can’t eat their cake and have it they were relocated and compensated in order that the FCT could be created. By law there is nothing like an FCT indigene, they’ve been bought out and settled long ago.

It is like traditional rulers claiming sovereignty. The British had overthrown them and they have lost their kingdoms, that they are still recognized for sentimental and cultural reasons does not mean they have any Kingdoms or can start claiming rights to kingdoms. There is no mention of traditional rulers in the constitution because they don’t exist in the eyes of federal law It is only states that recognize them again for cultural sentiment and administrative reasons. Same with FCT indigenes.
since they have qualified them as a state, so they have the right to ask for a governor as well!
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by IfnobeGod20: 4:51pm On Sep 11, 2023
legitnow1:

THE SUPREME COURT ALREADY PREVIOUSLY UPHELD THAT 25% FCT COMPULSORY.

SO, I DONT KNOW WHAT PEPT WAS THINKING, OR THEY READ WHAT WAS HANDED TO THEM.
That was why I said they used emotions to deliver their judgement and not what was written on the constitution. That section is a pure lacuna and the best is for the National Assembly to quickly alter the clause.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by legitnow1: 4:55pm On Sep 11, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

That was why I said they used emotions to deliver their judgement and not what was written on the constitution. That section is a pure lacuna and the best is for the National Assembly to quickly alter the clause.

IT WILL BE INEFFECTIVE NOW.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by pquaver(m): 4:56pm On Sep 11, 2023
jcross19:
lol since they don't have governor, 1 senator instead of 3 but no house rep while other states have their governors and their legislative they should not seek redress in court of law ? Bias has finished your brain!

They have the right to seek redress but it will be thrown out of the window.. The constitution is clear on how fct should be run.. Sorry
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by legitnow1: 4:56pm On Sep 11, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

IT WILL BE INEFFECTIVE NOW, TO THIS CASE, IF THEY DID.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by francisobiabo(m): 5:01pm On Sep 11, 2023
Oil dey your head....
Ezewuzie01:
Sounds like propaganda until the case is actually instituted. FCT residents don't have two heads to be hold veto power over other citizens of Nigeria. Their case will be thrown out. All the justices of the appeal and supreme courts are indigenes of certain states and you can take it to the bank that none of them will ever accept the wrong interpretation that voters in their own states are inferior to FCT residents.
Re: PEPC Judgement: Abuja Indigenes Head To Court, To Demand Elected Gov, 3 Senators by Advancedman(m): 5:03pm On Sep 11, 2023
ElSudani:
The original inhabitants of the FCT were relocated. So, who are these indigenes?

Relocated to your room.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Sen Adamu Abdullahi Visits Asiwaju Tinubu (Pictures) / Tinubu Signs Electricity Amendment Bill Into Law / ''Why I Dumped PDP For APC'' — Ekwunife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.