Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH (41391 Views)

Dr. Umoh Michael did not work for 72 hours - LUTH / My Sister, Debbie, Died In LUTH Due To Lack Of Bed Space - Man Cries Out / ‘My Brother Died In My Arms Due To LUTH's Negligence’, Man Reveals. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Islie: 8:41am On Sep 20, 2023
House officers at Lagos State Teaching Hospital (LUTH), yesterday, raised the alarm over poor working conditions and the death of a house officer, Dr. Umoh Michael, for allegedly working for 72 hours.

Dr Michael allegedly died on September 17, after being on a 72-hour-call in the Neurosurgery Unit. He was said to have been on call for the duration before arriving home on Sunday morning for church service, and slumped in his worship centre (United Evangelical Church) at about 11:00a.m.

In a letter written to the Chief Medical Director, LUTH, Prof. Wasiu Lanre Adeyemo by medical doctors under the aegis of the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), LUTH chapter, said the late doctor’s roommate attested to the fact that the deceased had hardly slept in their apartment for the past one week.

They claimed that Dr. Michael was always on call and had returned home after surgeries and other activities in the Neurosurgery unit at about 3:00a.m.

We have long standing challenges since we resumed housemanship here and one most striking challenge is the bullying we receive from our senior colleagues, stressful call hours without breaks in between, no call food and no good accommodation”, they said.

In their request, the doctors demanded that House Officers, who were on call the previous day, should be allowed either half day the next day or allowed to resume work by midday the following day, and should not be made to work for 48 hours at stretch.

They also demanded that compulsory health checks at the beginning of House jobs should be free or grossly subsidised for House Officers. They further demanded that their senior colleagues, senior registers and registrars should make the work environment friendly for them and House officers should not do work of potters, nurses or patient relatives.

Reacting, LUTH’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Omolola Fakeye, said: “It is not true that anybody worked for 72 hours. I have not been briefed about his death. We were at a programme yesterday (Monday), but I will find out; I can’t say anything now. I will check the medical report of what could have happened because anybody can say anything, but the medical report will show to us what actually happened,” he said.

https://guardian.ng/news/doctor-dies-after-allegedly-working-72-hours-in-luth/

8 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by atiku4President(m): 8:42am On Sep 20, 2023
Work no pay

6 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Stawner16(m): 8:46am On Sep 20, 2023
A 72 hour shift is insane. Nigeria is the hell they mentioned in the Bible. Everyone here is probably paying for the sins of a past life cheesy

175 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Treasure17(m): 8:51am On Sep 20, 2023
Everything about Nigeria is always somehow. Why on earth someone will be working for 72 hours when you are not contesting for Guinness book of record. It's insane.

137 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Solofresh2: 8:57am On Sep 20, 2023
Nawa oo
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by wittywriter: 9:01am On Sep 20, 2023
Stawner16:
A 72 hour shift is insane. Nigeria is the hell they mentioned in the Bible. Everyone here is probably paying for the sins of a past life cheesy
Excluding me...shoutout to fellow remote earners.

This worker died due to heart exuastion.

AuntRose:
If he had Japa....
he may still be alive.

@magzey learn how to properly quote mentions first before claiming to know the blueprint of your god without evidence.

Wittyness

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by RepoMan007: 9:11am On Sep 20, 2023
That's why we need to stop large departments for theatre arts, accounting, mass comm, law or zoology and start having bigger medical science departments and faculties. Demand and supply is not only applicable to commodity market. Even Jesus said the harvest is plenty but labourers are few.

61 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by AuntRose(f): 1:40pm On Sep 20, 2023
If he had Japa....

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
Well
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by nanauju(f): 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
Nothing beats work life balance.

You can’t work for three days straight without rest and your body will not react. Let’s all talk rest when the body asks of it please.

Meanwhile I have solid 10’ inches Android tablets. Please check my pr0file

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by tivta(m): 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
Kai
Wahala no dey finish
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by NaijaGoBetter2: 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
RIP

After working for 72hours non-stop he still went to church, so the working house is more than 72hrs because no one go to church to relax................... God is good all the time.

As a medical doctor I believe you should know what is best for you and condition of your health...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by nimone: 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
So sad. We need to find time to rest often. RIP Doc

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by pilgriman56: 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
Geez. That's a lotta time.
RIP embarassed

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Righthussle: 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2023
Stawner16:
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by MrPOTUS: 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2023
lipsrsealed

May he RIP.

Sorry to say, but na him kill himself o.

Nobody fit try that shit with me. I go work for 72 hours for what??

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Racoon(m): 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2023
So so sad! And then Nigeria also happened to him. Rest in peace in a better world sir. Perhaps Sanwo-Olu wife will also call this ugly and embarrassing incident the handiwork of "witches, spiritual forces" or "village people" again.

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2023
RepoMan007:
That's why we need to stop large departments for theatre arts, accounting, mass comm, law or zoology and start having bigger medical science departments and faculties. Demand and supply is not only applicable to commodity market. Even Jesus said the harvest is plenty but labourers are few.

What a funny take. If you like train one million doctors. Majority of them will still leave if you pay them peanuts while politicians flex around the world

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by 4tomandchi: 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2023
They don’t really care about us. Look at the numbers of aids the Lagos state governor appointed what does he need that number for when they will probably earn more than what a Doctor earns.

Will the world end if we have sufficient health workers in our hospitals? If na UK now the man for no die because of the good welfare over there.

God please save Nigeria!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by adioolayi(m): 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2023
Hmmm....

Before we start making comments...

How practicable is it to be on duty officially for 72hrs

Are we saying roasters were made to keep any Dr at work for 72hrs non-stop

I am being careful to understand what happens before one can blame the superiors and authorities for allowing a 72hrs duty roaster to stand!!!

4 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by circular(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
RIP
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by ATEAMS: 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
Hardwork kills
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Mosba: 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
Couldn't break world record. Rest in peace
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by ghettochild(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
He wanted to treat Nigeria...
But Nigeria don treat am badly

1 Like

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by eherbal(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
angry angry angry
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by Ezendimmuo: 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by VIKTO83(m): 1:45pm On Sep 20, 2023
72hours?
Lol...i dey do more than that.
Re: Dr. Umoh Michael Dies After Allegedly Working 72 Hours In LUTH by ExtremeDot: 1:45pm On Sep 20, 2023
Work dun kill doctor.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stephen Hahn: Chloroquine Has Not Been Approved By FDA / Lasaka Habila, Policeman Electrocuted In Abuja While Cutting Tree / A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.