Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,391 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

How Can I Handle My Younger Brother - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Handle My Younger Brother (20041 Views)

How Do I Handle My Hyper-active Daughter, She's Barely 3years / My Younger Brother Is A Bone In Our Throat. Pls Help! / How Do I Handle A Husband Who Wants To Have Sex Almost Everyday? (2) (3) (4)

How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by adaperry25: 8:58pm On Sep 26, 2023
We've actually done our best and the way its going..we are left to our fate. I just wanted to share here to get an ideal opinion.

My younger bro has been a thorn in our flesh even before my dad died. My late dad kept complaining about him. Bad friends, taking drugs and living an immoral life. This continued and affected his academics and he dropped out from the university.

As we speak, his younger brother is in his final year and yet my brother remains a prodigal son. Early this year, he wanted to fight my mom and I was very angry and we had to lock him up in the police cell for some days. He came out and became calm. After a month, he went back to his old ways.

We warned off his friends to stay away from him. Right now..my mom is ashamed of him as parents have warned their kids to stay away from my brother.

He doesn't sleep in the house and we threatened to lock him up again and he said we can kill him that his life has no meaning.

I believe he's not with his right senses.

Need your candid opinions. I want to save him.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by sunnymighty(m): 9:01pm On Sep 26, 2023
adaperry25:
We've actually done our best and the way its going..we are left to our fate. I just wanted to share here to get an ideal opinion.

My younger bro has been a thorn in our flesh even before my dad died. My late dad kept complaining about him. Bad friends, taking drugs and living an immoral life. This continued and affected his academics and he dropped out from the university.

As we speak, his younger brother is in his final year and yet my brother remains a prodigal son. Early this year, he wanted to fight my mom and I was very angry and we had to lock him up in the police cell for some days. He came out and became calm. After a month, he went back to his old ways.

We warned off his friends to stay away from him. Right now..my mom is ashamed of him as parents have warned their kids to stay away from my brother.

He doesn't sleep in the house and we threatened to lock him up again and he said we can kill him that his life has no meaning.

Take him to a rehab.

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by illicit(m): 9:02pm On Sep 26, 2023
πŸ₯΄
Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by garriAndsugar: 9:05pm On Sep 26, 2023
Drugs is finishing the youth of these days.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by adaperry25: 9:09pm On Sep 26, 2023
sunnymighty:

Take him to a rehab.
anyone u can recommend

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Westerhoffe(m): 9:19pm On Sep 26, 2023
π‘«π’“π’–π’ˆπ’”β€¦

𝑢𝒏𝒄𝒆 π’šπ’π’– 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕 π’•π’‚π’Œπ’Šπ’π’ˆ π’…π’“π’–π’ˆπ’”, 𝒂 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒇 π’šπ’π’–π’“ π’„π’π’π’”π’„π’Šπ’†π’π’„π’† π’…π’Šπ’†π’”.
𝑨𝒍𝒍 π’šπ’π’–'𝒅 π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’Œ π’Šπ’” π’šπ’π’–'𝒓𝒆 π’†π’π’‹π’π’šπ’Šπ’π’ˆ π’šπ’π’–π’“ 'π’‰π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’π’†π’”π’”', 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’–'𝒓𝒆 𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 π’…π’†π’”π’•π’“π’π’šπ’Šπ’π’ˆ π’šπ’π’–π’“ π’…π’†π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’š.

𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 π’•π’‚π’Œπ’† π’‰π’Šπ’Ž 𝒕𝒐 𝒂 π‘Ήπ’†π’‰π’‚π’ƒπ’Šπ’π’Šπ’•π’‚π’•π’Šπ’π’ π‘ͺ𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒆 π’šπ’π’– π’Œπ’π’π’˜ 𝒔𝒐 𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 π’‰π’Šπ’” π’π’Šπ’‡π’† 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 π’Šπ’•'𝒔 𝒕𝒐𝒐 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆.
𝑯𝒆 π’Žπ’–π’”π’• 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 π’Žπ’†π’• π’π’Šπ’Œπ’† π’Žπ’Šπ’π’…π’” π’Šπ’ π’‘π’“π’Šπ’”π’π’, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝒇𝒐𝒓 π’‰π’Šπ’” π’–π’‘π’ˆπ’“π’‚π’…π’† 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝑳𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒍.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by AsomArchitectNG(m): 9:20pm On Sep 26, 2023
Take him to a rehab center and don't forget to keep praying for him.. He'll surely come around

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Haakeem(m): 9:21pm On Sep 26, 2023
Sope otilo!
It is finished.
Nothing can be done again to change him.
except the miracle of GOD intervane.
Nigeria prison worsen it's inmates.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Mhizzard(m): 9:33pm On Sep 26, 2023
Locking him up won't solve the problem anymore.his bad behaviours have beyond toturing,cus how would you locked a human up and he got relised, eventually,he dive into what got him into prison again. don't you think he seriously need prayer
Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by 2goodbobo(m): 9:42pm On Sep 26, 2023
As I speak to you my 2 Brothers are doing just the same thing your brother is doing. From taking drugs to stealing and selling my Father’s properties to dropping out from School. My mum is late and had BP because of them. I have done my best to change them but to no avail. I have decided to since leave them to their fate.

I intend to get a place for my dad where he can stay away from them. He is no longer enjoying his stay in the house he build because of them and I am tired of complain here and there. I pray they change for good.

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by adaperry25: 9:49pm On Sep 26, 2023
2goodbobo:
As I speak to you my 2 Brothers are doing just the same thing your brother is doing. From taking drugs to stealing and selling my Father’s properties to dropping out from School. My mum is late and had BP because of them. I have done my best to change them but to no avail. I have decided to since leave them to their fate.

I intend to get a place for my dad where he can stay away from them. He is no longer enjoying his stay in the house he build because of them and I am tired of complain here and there. I pray they change for good.

same shoes o
I have done my best

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by mariahAngel(f): 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2023
First of all, what do you mean As we speak, his younger brother is in his final year and yet my brother remains a prodigal son.?
Who is his brother?
Who are you referring to?

By the way, you can't handle your brother.
You can pray and keep praying for him to change though.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Kobojunkiee: 10:10pm On Sep 26, 2023
adaperry25:
My younger bro has been a thorn in our flesh even before my dad died. My late dad kept complaining about him. Bad friends, taking drugs and living an immoral life. This continued and affected his academics and he dropped out from the university. As we speak, his younger brother is in his final year and yet my brother remains a prodigal son. Early this year, he wanted to fight my mom and I was very angry and we had to lock him up in the police cell for some days. He came out and became calm. After a month, he went back to his old ways.We warned off his friends to stay away from him. Right now..my mom is ashamed of him as parents have warned their kids to stay away from my brother.
He doesn't sleep in the house and we threatened to lock him up again and he said we can kill him that his life has no meaning. I believe he's not with his right senses. Need your candid opinions. I want to save him.
So long as he is 18 and determined to live according to his own way, my advice would be that you leave him be, let him carry his cross on his head until he gets tired of doing it all on his own. You cannot force someone who is determined to do things his way to do it instead of your way. And the worst thing you can do is enable him by giving him money and allowing him to stay in the house and rob everyone else of their peace of mind. He doesn't sleep in the house, good. undecided

As a matter of fact, since he is so grown up and no longer willing to abide by the rules of the home, your mother should ask him to move out to his own placeβ€” of course, paid for with his own money tooβ€” where he can live by his own rules. Allow him breath and leave him to his fate. undecided

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Kobojunkiee: 10:13pm On Sep 26, 2023
2goodbobo:
As I speak to you my 2 Brothers are doing just the same thing your brother is doing. From taking drugs to stealing and selling my Father’s properties to dropping out from School. My mum is late and had BP because of them. I have done my best to change them but to no avail. I have decided to since leave them to their fate. I intend to get a place for my dad where he can stay away from them. He is no longer enjoying his stay in the house he build because of them and I am tired of complain here and there. I pray they change for good.
But why is your father still housing them when they obviously seek to chart their own path? Why doesn't your father instead kick them out so they can go find their independence on their own terms? Why do parents enable and feed what is an obvious nuisance? undecided

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Kobojunkiee: 10:23pm On Sep 26, 2023
AsomArchitectNG:
Take him to a rehab center and don't forget to keep praying for him.. He'll surely come around
Rehab only works for those who are willing and ready to end their addiction. That is why the decision to rehab is not to be made by any other than the one who is in need of help. Else, na revolving door that one go easily become. undecided

19 Likes

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Nicepoker(m): 10:43pm On Sep 26, 2023
How can you save him. Are you his personal lord and saviour? Allow him to perish.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by FROGMAN101(m): 10:48pm On Sep 26, 2023
Omo i think it’s kids with rich parents that can afford to be wayward cause your family can handle your excesses

But when you from a struggling family especially in this Nigeria and then you keep on acting wayward omo you are doing yourself ooo

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Kobojunkiee: 11:01pm On Sep 26, 2023
FROGMAN101:
Omo i think it’s kids with rich parents that can afford to be wayward cause your family can handle your excesses. But when you from a struggling family especially in this Nigeria and then you keep on acting wayward omo you are doing yourself ooo
You no see all those druggies wey full all those poverty-stricken parts of even your community for where you live? Drug problems no know class abeg! undecided

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by FROGMAN101(m): 11:10pm On Sep 26, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
You no see all those druggies wey full all those poverty-stricken parts of even your community for where you live? Drug problems no know class abeg! undecided

This red man or woman β€œwayward” doesn’t necessarily mean β€œdrugs” calm the hell down grin

I was only saying the spoilt rich kids can afford to have that facked up life and their parents can mitigate the crisis with the money.

But kids from struggling family don’t even have that life line so it’s futile to be useless. All hands on deck to succeed.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Kobojunkiee: 11:13pm On Sep 26, 2023
FROGMAN101:
β–  This red man or woman β€œwayward” doesn’t necessarily mean β€œdrugs” calm the hell down grin I was only saying the spoilt rich kids can afford to have that facked up life and their parents can mitigate the crisis with the money. But kids from struggling family don’t even have that life line so it’s futile to be useless. All hands on deck to be useful. You quoting me about drugs and poverty stricken community. What are you smoking this evening?
Again, whether it be drugs or sheer stubbornness, these things know no class. Look in your neighborhood to see that even in the poverty-stricken areas, the same pattern is observed among even the youths there. undecided

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by ahnie: 11:16pm On Sep 26, 2023
I would really want to thank God for my younger bro,dude never gave us any wahala all thru his stay with me.

Having a prodigal child is really killing,may God have mercy.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Nobody: 12:09am On Sep 27, 2023
You can only save him if he wants to be saved. Does he want to be saved?

If he's old enough to be by himself, for the sake of your mom's health and to prevent him from influencing your other younger brother, send him out and pray for him/help him from afar.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by henrimoto(m): 1:11am On Sep 27, 2023
mariahAngel:
First of all, what do you mean As we speak, his younger brother is in his final year and yet my brother remains a prodigal son.?
Who is his brother?
Who are you referring to?

By the way, you can't handle your brother.
You can pray and keep praying for him to change though.

...The "Younger brother" the OP meant is the immediate sibling that followed the person the OP is complaining about. Then, the person the OP is complaining about is the OP's sibling.

Chai, this kain English tautology sef.. @mariahangel, I hope you understand the above statement.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by DyingFetus: 4:11am On Sep 27, 2023
Try get him here

It's for his good

Within some months he'll turn to a new leave after being here

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by mrblessed(m): 4:21am On Sep 27, 2023
No, he is with his senses. It's just that he has chosen take a path he sees as right and appropriate. I don't think he is going to stop until he gets his hands burned and discovers the errors of his ways. Until then, keep talking to him.
Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Les: 8:43am On Sep 27, 2023
Only Jesus can change him. I wish I would have an opportunity to just talk to Him about Jesus and make him experience the life-changing love of the son of God.

....casting our cares upon him because he cares for us

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by ghettochild(m): 11:58am On Sep 27, 2023
Get him a Job
Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by majesticguy: 12:13pm On Sep 27, 2023
adaperry25:

Pray tell, how old is he ? if he's in his early 20's there's still hope he'd change, and that change wouldn't come from you, rather it'd be a personal decision from him. If he's in his late 20's to early 30's and still have this unproductive mindset in this era and current economy, then, change would be difficult but not impossible.

Also, hope he's not a member of a cult, otherwise that's a one way ticket to the great beyond, this one he's already saying his life has no meaning, the next thing would be to go and belong if he's not, so his life could have meaning.

One of my neighbors kid back then was exactly like that, dude eventually towed the right path as he advanced in age and currently he's the corner stone of the family and he's presently doing great.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by kingthreat(m): 2:33pm On Sep 27, 2023
adaperry25:

First of all I will like you to know that you and 2goodbobo are not alone.
What you are going through is what thousands of families are facing as their children are deep into drug addiction.
The main reason he is behaving that way is because his drug addiction is getting to a serious level that it has made him start behaving erratic. The way he is going, the drugs is taking him to destruction and he doesn't mind taking anyone down that path of destruction.
However, I will advice you to force him to a good rehab. Rehabs are very expensive so try do a family meeting excluding him, raise funds to a certain level and let elderly members of the family insist he goes on a rehabilitation of at least 4 months. If the rehabilitation works, you will get your brother back. Else he will tow down the path of self-destruction that comes from drug addiction.
Praying you and your family can get the funds they need for a solution.

P/S: Please Ignore Kobojunkiee. She feels she has the ideal solution to all family problems but I am sure she's living an isolated single life. She will soon quote me to make some dull statement as usual.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Sticooooooo(m): 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2023
[/quote][quote author=Kobojunkiee post=126041216] But why is your father still housing them when they obviously seek to chart their own path? Why doesn't your father instead kick them out so they can go find their independence on their own terms? Why do parents enable and feed what is an obvious nuisance? undecided

Where else should they go? He practically built the house for his family. They are part of the family too.

Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Sticooooooo(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2023
[/quote][quote author=Kobojunkiee post=126041216] But why is your father still housing them when they obviously seek to chart their own path? Why doesn't your father instead kick them out so they can go find their independence on their own terms? Why do parents enable and feed what is an obvious nuisance? undecided

Where else should they go? He practically built the house for his family. They are part of the family too.

This your opinion never holds any ground
Re: How Can I Handle My Younger Brother by Kobojunkiee: 4:36pm On Sep 27, 2023
Sticooooooo:
β–  Where else should they go? He practically built the house for his family. They are part of the family too. This your opinion never holds any ground
A family is meant to be a cohesive unit, isn't it? When one decides to chart his own part, going as far as inconveniencing others with his behavior, it means he does not desire to remain a part of that cohesive unit. Why not cut him loose and let him go elsewhere to do as he pleases? The one person up there is even planning to move his family out of the house he built in order that his drug abusing brothers can continue living in the house all by themselves. Which kain family be that? undecided

There is more to family than just blood relations. Or would you also claim family when the person's behavior directly threatens the lives of those in the home or outside? undecided

How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? / Budget Wedding. N900k For 350 Guests / Why Should A Father Make Love To His Daughter

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75