Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,142 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness (11720 Views)

NYSC Has Outlived Its Purpose, The Government Should Do This Instead / Lai Mohammed: NYSC Has Increased COVID-19 Cases In Nigeria / NYSC Has Started Paying November Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Backpedal: 2:17pm On Oct 11, 2023
I don't think it has outlived it's usefulness though

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by essentialone(m): 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2023
This is the last time I will mention the 5 things that Nigeria needs to end immediately

1. NECO
2. NABTEB
3. JAMB (UTME)
4. Post-UTME
5. NYSC.

If I am finally made the Minister of Education, I will end these 5 things even before I resume office.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:20pm On Oct 11, 2023
I think what should be done is to ...

1...Forge NYSC certificate and issue only third party certificates to any company asking for NYSC certificate..

2....Use the money one should get from NYSC to enter Chikago State University where they cover corruption ...

Then , enter into the streets of Chikago and enter into drug pushing ....

Run back and contest for the Governor of any South West state, sure you will win....

From there , form allegiance with the North and boom , you get your mandate to be PRESIDENT of this country.....

NYSC should form as the base to start off .....leave it pls

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Danfederal: 2:25pm On Oct 11, 2023
Lol

Happy International Girl Child Day

Please watch!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqtNtm-WzVs

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by lomprico(m): 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2023
olakraft:

Not necessarily. They can be merged with other agencies but the only difference is that government wouldn't have to budget billions annually for fake rubber shoes and cheap white t shirts, all those funds go into private pockets anyways...

True, another good point.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by obi58: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2023
olakraft:
God bless you. The scheme has outlived its importance and purpose! In fact, that 1 year delay has a serious impact on those who would have furthered their education.

I mentioned the same thing yesterday when the NYSC was begging employers to make room for corps members and some kid flaunting a 3rd class degree was saying it was because I didn't serve. I'm about to get my PhD but some silly kid was flaunting NYSC as an achievement. 🥴

Watch how Nigerians will come and defend the outdated scheme and start attacking everyone as if they wouldn't have survived without 1 year "alawee" grin

I wonder what university will issue you a PHD with this low level of reasoning.

Unless you are saying that Nigeria is no longer deserving to be a nation there is no reason why NYSC should be jettisoned. My main issue with the programme currently is the high level of insecurity present around the country and the level of efforts by the government to secure the country. This is crucial for the continued success of the NYSC programme.

That one year of service has broadened the horizons of so many youths who have lived all their lives in the shadow of their parents and cultural identity making them more rounded cosmopolitan and national citizens.

Do you know how many corpers landed significant jobs and business opportunities by virtue of their postings? Some corpers have chosen to permanently settle at their place of posting due to the wealth they have generated in that location.

Do you know how many corpers landed their significant others due to their one year service?

Do you know how these interspatial postings have helped foster unity and disuade ethnicity and tribalistic tendencies?

This has also helped in the transfer of knowledge and exposure to remote areas that wouldn't have experienced such developments if outsiders did not get posted there. We all know the impact of the missionaries in the development of education in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Diligence: 2:27pm On Oct 11, 2023
The irony about NYSC is this:

Youth Corpers who were serving in (esp) Lagos State (supposed centre of excellence) seeing, hearing & observing first hand: HOW NON-INDIGENES WERE WARNED NEVER TO COME OUT TO VOTE, HOW THOSE WHO CAME OUT TO VOTE WERE BEATEN, MAIMED, A WOMAN STABBED, SOME OTHERS KILLED @ 2023 General Elections. They observed with international community, how election results were rigged by APC, others saw what Wike did in Rivers State. Youth Corpers saw how policemen & Bales, Omo ales, touts, MC Oluomo & boys, were snatching ballot boxes, many scattering and burning ballot papers from areas they suspected wouldn't vote Emilokan/BAT/BAAT/Agbado/Ebola/Bala blue!

You called it NYSC. Abeg scrab it. Security is zero. Besides, its value has been bastardised already. Many change their original places of postings/locations, etc
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:29pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
Most developed worlds don't do programs like NYSC which have no or little impact on the economy.
The US unemployment rate stands at 3.1%, what the government does majorly is provide grants and create entrepreneurship institutions like Silicon Valley. Elon Musk got a grant from the government to start Space X, Meta, Google, and Microsoft are all products of Silicon Valley.
Which notable entrepreneur(s) has NYSC produced that has helped to solve the country's problem None undecided
Nigeria's unemployment rate stands at 53% among the youth and 90% of Nigerian graduates go to NYSC programs. The funniest thing is that it's not the US government that is creating the employment directly, the employment is being created by those who went through the grants & funding series, and Silicon Valley.
My opinions are
1 NYSC should be replaced with compulsory 6 months of entrepreneurship programs in major areas of the economy.
2 Every successful candidate should be given a noninterest loan of 5M each to start a venture.
3 Candidates who failed the programs should go for mandatory skill acquisition for 6 months. The government should give them the necessary equipment they need for their trade and a 1M noninterest loan. (e. g. , a trained fashion designer should be provided with a sewing machine, a weepy machine, and a 1M loan)
Feel free to object to the opinions or add yours
na everybody wan be enterprenuer u guys should allow nysc be abeg
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by victorclean(f): 2:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
It's mostly needed to bridge the gap of teachers scarcity in the north.

It's also done to bring up educational knowledge of the northern school children and adolescents

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:32pm On Oct 11, 2023
olakraft:
God bless you. The scheme has outlived its importance and purpose! In fact, that 1 year delay has a serious impact on those who would have furthered their education.

I mentioned the same thing yesterday when the NYSC was begging employers to make room for corps members and some kid flaunting a 3rd class degree was saying it was because I didn't serve. I'm about to get my PhD but some silly kid was flaunting NYSC as an achievement. 🥴

Watch how Nigerians will come and defend the outdated scheme and start attacking everyone as if they wouldn't have survived without 1 year "alawee" grin
is it everyone that ll get PhD of what use is ur PhD to a community... If u ain't in academics or need it for promotion PhD is just to satisfy ego nothing else sanusi lamido no get PhD yet he is influential than u... And yes nysc is achievement to some pple..
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by CoronaVirusPro: 2:33pm On Oct 11, 2023
tollyboy5:

What you mean by national integration lol. Of what benefit has that done to the lives of the youth and the economy of nigeria?

The op made a fantastic submission.

The benefits are enormous and of great benefit to the existence of Nigeria.

The programme has given many the exposure to integrate with other cultures, tribes, traditions and religious. It is one of the few institutions that has harmonizes our tribal and cultural difference, and many have benefitted from it.

NYSC remains a credible institution that should be enhanced, not scrapping it.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by CoronaVirusPro: 2:37pm On Oct 11, 2023
victorclean:
It's mostly needed to bridge the gap of teachers scarcity in the north.

It's also done to bring up educational knowledge of the northern school children and adolescents

Oh!

Service members don't teach in the South, East and West?

Educational knowledge is only decimated in the North through initiative?

Y`all just always want to delve into matters like its compulsory you do.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Venom11(m): 2:38pm On Oct 11, 2023
erico2k2:

Well it should be restructured not to near any military drilling or Army boot camp. I think it should be extended for two years and coopers posted to areas within their disciplines
I agree
Also I think instead of Nysc and the old tenants.. Smt skill oriented should be put in it place... Where fresh minds could actually be nurtured and tutored into different parts of society building.. Perhaps younger folks can easier find a place in these complex society I think.
For Nysc to regain ts former prestige and glory.. The name should be changed and the program restructured to allow fresh ideas.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by dassyslimmy(m): 2:39pm On Oct 11, 2023
Abi something dey worry this mod

Make I do my own fess ,I dey wait for UNILAG senate list now , then it can be scrapped 😆😆

On a more serious note , i think the insecurity in the north will aid the push to stop the program , the program has not outlived its usefulness.

Many of us dream to wear that khaki and we must wear it like those before us have done.

The ministry of youth development will become useless , many people will become jobless.

As someone said already, entrepreneurship should be part of our University curriculum but I will suggest it starts from first year to final year to breed competence and seriousness ( it should attract atleast 2 unit also affect grade point in tertiary institutions)
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by victorclean(f): 2:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
Teaching in Southern part by youth copers is for formality. I did my service in the north and I can tell you that in some local government, indigenous teachers are not more than 2.

Youth copers take over with few southern teachers. Youth service is just crafted for Northern Nigeria. Accept it or thrash it

CoronaVirusPro:

Oh!

Service members don't teach in the South, East and West?

Educational knowledge is only decimated in the North through initiative?

Y`all just always want to delve into matters like its compulsory you do.

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by CoronaVirusPro: 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
victorclean:
Teaching in Southern part by youth copers is for formality. I did my service in the north and I can tell you that in some local government, indigenous teachers are not more than 2.

Youth copers take over with few southern teachers. Youth service is just crafted for Northern Nigeria. Accept it or thrash it

Did you ask your colleagues who served in the East and South what its was like? Have you heard experiences from those that served outskirt of town in those regions?

Saying only the North benefits from the initiative is vague and baseless!
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Judolisco(m): 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2023
Not really.... It's jst need some improvements... In south korea and some other countries u still have to serve your father land compulsorily.... I had some of my best moments during Nysc
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by K33fK0zaRt: 2:57pm On Oct 11, 2023
ChrisBJ:
this idiot scammer no dey give up??
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Ifakiland(m): 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
Most developed worlds don't do programs like NYSC which have no or little impact on the economy.
The US unemployment rate stands at 3.1%, what the government does majorly is provide grants and create entrepreneurship institutions like Silicon Valley. Elon Musk got a grant from the government to start Space X, Meta, Google, and Microsoft are all products of Silicon Valley.
Which notable entrepreneur(s) has NYSC produced that has helped to solve the country's problem None undecided
Nigeria's unemployment rate stands at 53% among the youth and 90% of Nigerian graduates go to NYSC programs. The funniest thing is that it's not the US government that is creating the employment directly, the employment is being created by those who went through the grants & funding series, and Silicon Valley.
My opinions are
1 NYSC should be replaced with compulsory 6 months of entrepreneurship programs in major areas of the economy.
2 Every successful candidate should be given a noninterest loan of 5M each to start a venture.
3 Candidates who failed the programs should go for mandatory skill acquisition for 6 months. The government should give them the necessary equipment they need for their trade and a 1M noninterest loan. (e. g. , a trained fashion designer should be provided with a sewing machine, a weepy machine, and a 1M loan)
you no like 100m loan see your mouth
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Onuoha1234(m): 3:09pm On Oct 11, 2023
Correct. npower is on ground to take care of them.It was foisted on us by Gen.Gowon to provide manpower for the North.,The money re)eased will work wonders for the economy.Freeze NYSC now,
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
is it everyone that ll get PhD of what use is ur PhD to a community... If u ain't in academics or need it for promotion PhD is just to satisfy ego nothing else sanusi lamido no get PhD yet he is influential than u... And yes nysc is achievement to some pple..

You made a good point and my reasons for pursuing a PhD are valid.

I admire people regardless of qualifications and Sanusi is actually one of my distant mentors, please note that he has a master's degree and could have obtained a PhD if he wanted.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala also has a PhD, yet she is also amazingly influential and useful. So it's all a matter of putting your brain to work...
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by LivingSage: 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2023
NYSC should be made optional.

There's nothing fruitful about it than offering of cheap labour to the employee in exchange for stipend coupled with useless conditions of the serving corps member.

I as an individual didn't enjoyed my service then.

It Should be made optional if not scrapped
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by 2O17: 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
I totally agree with you.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by IbileIfe: 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Rikze:
shocked

It has over outlived it's purpose.

The corruption there is next to non. The dangers and death associated with it. The immorality is topnotch. The poor living conditions corpers are made to go through is sickening.

The list goes on and on.

ADDENDUM:

The supposed unity of the country that prompted the creation of the scheme after the civil war is no where to be seen as the country is divided between ethnic lines now more than ever. Scrap it already!

NYSC is a cesspit of corruption.
The shareholders and beneficiaries are the crooks and rogues who want the scheme to continue.
The flashes of success stories are insignificant to the overall failures of the NYSC.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by IbileIfe: 3:20pm On Oct 11, 2023
Danfederal:
Lol

Happy International Girl Child Day

Please watch!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqtNtm-WzVs
Thanks for this.
I have shared on my Nigeria Daily on X
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by akpota(m): 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
My opinions are
No bro, it has not. The thing is with the Nigerian population.
Some of our graduate these days aren't really good. That is a challenge for employees.
You will see some graduate who can't address a letter properly.
On the other hand, you will met sound minded and focused individuals like a few i met in camp.
There's this particular lady i still talk with daily.
NYSC gave me the chance to express myself.
It made me to set my foot in the formal world.
I'm a current corp member serving in one of the Nation's polythenic.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by onuman: 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
Sure. Those that are meant to profit from NYSC members services are fast embracing Islamic teachings than Western education.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by onuman: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
socialmediaman:
If we botched a supposedly computerized election then NYSC should be the least of our problems, the Nigerian entity itself needs a complete overhaul

If as a people, tribal and religious sentiments are more important to us than equity and justice, then forget any proposed reforms, nothing meaningful will work

Botched computerised election is like Botched Nigeria Diaspora voting in presidential election in Nigeria. One section of Nigeria cannot accept these two advancements.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Cmanforall: 3:35pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
My opinions are

NYSC should be scrapped!

But I do not agree with your opinion
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by NairaMaster1(m): 3:40pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
My opinions are

It's always useful. If not for NYSC everyone would have been a University graduate now
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Osombo: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
Fact! Once the FG allows youths to dream be innovative with monetary and friendly policy support, the system then work and then economy boom cos it means we export our goods and services and less import. The issues is those youths that benefits from corruption won't like this idea cos most are not ready to add value meanwhile in other countries, private sector is the highest employer of labour
spiSeyi:
My opinions are
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by tuoyoojo(m): 3:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
eteebanky:

Try dy make use of your brain sometimes

If the federal government gather the whole money and give them upon graduation, do you think they'll use the money to serve the country?? Capital NO

That first thing that will ring on their mind is to JAPA

We Nigerians self, we're too selfish ooo

I noticed something, Once we gain a thing we don't want others to experience it.
Nysc didn't outlive its usefulness when you served or about to serve right?

Thunder will fire your yanch

May lightening split ur spinal cord and that useless finger when u take type rubbish.

I aired my opinion, if u get different opinion, say it, but as ur parents nor train u well and na sawdust and rotten akamu full ur head,u nor fit just talk normal like person

Is it ur money?! If them decide to use the money take Japa or dem decide to invest am, how that one take concern u

If the country better, who wan go oyibo land go dey hustle.

Nysc na waste of time, that is my opinion. If e pain u, u siddon inside dustbin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC BATCH C'14 ONDO STATE,LET'S MEET HERE / Why Do Females Get Job Faster Than The Males After NYSC? / 2013/ 2014 Corpers': When Are You Returning For Your January Clearance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.