Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,485 members, 7,836,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? (12112 Views)

Top 20 Nigerian CEOs And The Courses They Studied In School / America’s Top 13 Ceos And The Courses They Studied In School (photos) / Are You Practicing The Course You Studied In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 3:36pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Stop filling yourself with meaningless excuses! Ask yourself instead what you can do with the skills you already have in your hands. If you can't do it yourself, ask chatgpt for help on ideas of how you can get into projects and market yourself, or even come together with others in the same boat to start something. undecided
Keep quiet
You're very good with advice
Show us what you've started
How many Nigerians take languages serious
Compared to the 90s, how many schools retain services of French, Hausa or other African and European language tutors apart from English?
No one is saying there are no avenues for jobs for linguists but it's a known fact that there is less demand for them than before
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kukutente23:
Keep quiet. You're very good with advice. Show us what you've started How many Nigerians take languages serious . Compared to the 90s, how many schools retain services of French, Hausa or other African and European language tutors apart from English? No one is saying there are no avenues for jobs for linguists but it's a known fact that there is less demand for them than before
You are an example of a creativity-deprived individual. So, all you think you can do with a linguistics degree is teach languages in schools? Kai! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by FireUpNow(m): 3:40pm On Oct 11, 2023
Na country oo.
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by jahsharon: 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2023
If you study Philosophy like Giringori Obituary, you will end up as Trader like Giringori.

If you study Sociology, you will end up as Social Studies teacher in a local private school
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Bahamas95(m): 3:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
The country isn't friendly at all, I studied electrical engineering but now take it as a side hustle even though I worked in a power plant for a while.

I am now into heavy machinery operation, no regrets because it was one of the occupations I admired when I was a child......I can't just take my eyes off machines.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Shedrill(m): 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Most of those who don't practice actually studied non professional courses. Not all courses are ones with professional license to practice. If you study accounting, you are not yet a Professional until you get ICAN, ANAN etc license to practice.

Some courses are just there like Zoology that you can hardly practice as a zoologist while some are just plain like Business Administration, Marketing etc. Some professional careers with license are not even available for study in universities. Nothing beats being a Professional though.

The major thing is to have clarity about your life, know where you are going and willing to make all the right and legitimate sacrifices to get there. Two things you can't afford to miss; read the right books and intentionally seek and keep only quality people around you. Check my signature for free stuffs!

You just dey beat about the bush, be like your father na politician
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by iamtardey: 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2023
dem no gree give me the certificate tongue
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by BeigJawnson(m): 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2023
Yashita:
Why?

Life is just funny, sometimes I wonder why we struggle to achieve something and end up not using it.

My friend studied engineering, worked in power sector for 4 years, travelled out to teach English language, now working as a marketer for a company 😩😩😩😩😩

Life is funny.

Change is constant.... This is the law of change
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You are an example of a creativity-deprived individual. So, all you think you can do with a linguistics degree is teach languages in schools? Kai! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Oya Mr Creative
Tell us what you can do with linguistics
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Sunmolar(m): 4:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
Sometimes it's due to impatient.
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Sunmolar(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2023
Yashita:
Why?

Life is just funny, sometimes I wonder why we struggle to achieve something and end up not using it.

My friend studied engineering, worked in power sector for 4 years, travelled out to teach English language, now working as a marketer for a company 😩😩😩😩😩

Life is funny.

If he had remained in engineering, overtime he will start reaping from experience.

After my nysc....I did internship with a construction company... Got another offer to be a project manager in another company..... under one year.

My wealth of experience going through the ladder is paying off.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kukutente23:
Oya Mr Creative. Tell us what you can do with linguistics
If you can't think it yourself, you can at least use Google or maybe Chatgpt. lipsrsealed

Here's just one website.

Jobs directly related to your degree include:
● English as a foreign language teacher
● Lexicographer
● Marketing Executive
● Public relations officer
● Publishing copy-editor/proofreader
● Secondary school teacher
● Speech and language therapist
● Talent agent
● Teaching Assistant
Jobs where your degree would be useful include:
● Academic researcher
● Advertising copywriter
● Civil Service fast streamer
● Digital copywriter
● Editorial Assistant
● Information officer
● Magazine journalist
● Public librarian
● Social researcher
● Translator
● Data Scientist
linguistics
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by nkemjacob2(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Poor orientation
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you can't think it yourself, you can at least use Google or maybe Chatgpt. lipsrsealed

Here's just one website.

Look at this clown
Oya submit your cv to Google or chatgpt let them get the job for you na
We're talking reality, you're talking audio
Mtcheew

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by LordIsaac(m): 4:21pm On Oct 11, 2023
Simply because University education is not for everyone!
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by ednut1(m): 4:27pm On Oct 11, 2023
Because no law says you must
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:29pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kukutente23:
β–  Look at this clown. Oya submit your cv to Google or chatgpt let them get the job for you na
We're talking reality, you're talking audio Mtcheew
So, in your mind, na only Google and ChatGPt get that kind job give? You didn't even notice that you writing even a book or children's book to market yourself is itself a way of using your skills? This lack of creative reasoning with many of you is seriously terrible. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:29pm On Oct 11, 2023
nkemjacob2:
Poor orientation
Very very very poor orientation is to blame, not government. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Aybiochem: 4:37pm On Oct 11, 2023
It takes immense financial support and determination to pursue your passion

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 4:39pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
So, in your mind, na only Google and ChatGPt get that kind job give? You didn't even notice that you writing even a book or children's book to market yourself is itself a way of using your skills? This lack of creative reasoning with many of you is seriously terrible. undecided
Oga I asked you for jobs and you ran to Google and chatgpt.
Funny enough, I can count more than five of those jobs you listed which are directly or indirectly related to teaching. So even your Google failed.
Now you're talking of writing a book or children's book.
May I ask what exactly that has to do with linguistics or is it that you don't know what linguistics means as a profession
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kukutente23:
β–  Oga I asked you for jobs and you ran to Google and chatgpt. Funny enough, I can count more than five of those jobs you listed which are directly or indirectly related to teaching. So even your Google failed.
Now you're talking of writing a book or children's book. May I ask what exactly that has to do with linguistics or is it that you don't know what linguistics means as a profession
You don't seem to know a lot, do you? All you keep doing is fishing for excuses why to remain within the box you have existed in to this point too afraid to step outside of it. You want to keep your mind closed to all the possibilities out there. Well, all I can say is good luck with that. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by ufotunang: 4:44pm On Oct 11, 2023
Where are the jobs/ work to do what you studied
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Oct 11, 2023
ufotunang:
Where are the jobs/ work to do what you studied
There are jobs out there and more importantly, opportunities to create them yourselves. But the major problem with many of you is that you are stuck in a box and can't seem to see it. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
Aybiochem:
It takes immense financial support and determination to pursue your passion
Not always true. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 4:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You don't seem to know a lot, do you? All you keep doing is fishing for excuses why to remain within the box you have existed in to this point too afraid to step outside of it. Well, all I can say is good luck with that. undecided
Keep quiet
Except a linguist is naturally gifted at writing, there's nothing in the study of linguistics that prepares him for that vocation.
This thread is to discuss working along the field you studied.
Linguistics is not valid vocation with writing. Ask Google or Chatgpt
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kukutente23:
Keep quiet. Except a linguist is naturally gifted at writing, there's nothing in the study of linguistics that prepares him for that vocation. This thread is to discuss working along the field you studied. Linguistics is not valid vocation with writing. Ask Google or Chatgpt
ROFLMAO!!!
cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

Writing is about natural abilities, since when? I am immediately reminded of the Ikebe Super series which were poorly written but enjoyed nonetheless by many back in the day. This one here does not even read books at all but he confidently beats his chest of excuses in his ignorance. undecided

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by ufotunang: 4:48pm On Oct 11, 2023
Harrynight:
cool

Blame it on the system in this shiithole
..abi ..in nigeria there are university graduates that are driving Keke, okada as transport bussiness to survive .. that is nigeria for you

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Etizz: 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
Job opportunities.....how can u read linguistics and expect job opportunities in Nigeria..... people wey even read medical and engineering nor get sef
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
ufotunang:
..abi ..in nigeria there are university graduates that are driving Keke, okada as transport bussiness to survive .. that is nigeria for you
It is OK to drive keke and okada in order to raise money for maybe something else you wish to use your college degree for. But the problem here is the vast majority don't even have the ability to creatively process their situation or even use whatever skills they have to their benefit. . undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by ufotunang: 4:52pm On Oct 11, 2023
Is due to the lack of jobs ..in nigeria they are university graduates that are driving Keke, okada, bus as transport bussiness to survive this Tinubu hard economy
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 4:52pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
ROFLMAO!!!
cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

Writing is about natural abilities, since when? This one no dey even read books at all but he confidently beats his chest of excuses in his ignorance. undecided
Do you doubt now that writing is about abilities? Some of the world's best writers did not study literature or dramatic arts in school.
I studied engineering. But i know I'm gifted in writing.
The fact is there's a technical aspect of writing that someone who is gifted may not know of, which he will need the help of those learned in the field for.
John Grisham studied law but became famous for his novels based on legal plots.
You're obviously oblivious of the fact that writing is an art

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 Undeniable Facts About Working In A Nigerian Office By Nkem Ndem / Obiano Raises Anambra Workers’ Salaries By 15 Per Cent / 4 New Ways To Motivate Your Employees On Monday Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.