Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) (36988 Views)

79 Medical Doctors Resign From Kogi Govt Hospitals / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Obakoolex(m): 10:59am On Oct 17, 2023
They are trying to confuse the sickness grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by carlleung(m): 10:59am On Oct 17, 2023
The patient have eye problem, chloramphenicol eye drops was recommended
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by OlujobaSamuel: 10:59am On Oct 17, 2023
Hmmmmmm, it is deliberate, but you have a right to know the drugs listed there.
I once told a doctor that and he was just looking at me, he couldn't say anything.
If you have an allergy to the drugs, you won't know until you are given the drugs as you don't know what is written, so it's better you demand for what is written so you can tell him if you have an allergy to it or not.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by bunnae(f): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:
It is not for you to understand, just take the prescription to the pharmacist.

It is not intended to be understood by laymen.

Any medical practitioner will read those writing very clearly.

Even an apprentice in a pharmacy won't have issues understanding them.
I hope you know it is very important for you to know what medications they are prescribing for you to take?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ebig21(m): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2023
ebig21:

I can see those drugs na
Loratidine, cholaramphenical, piriton, ibuprofen tetracycline and laridox
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by efembaba(m): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2023
the smarter you are, the less legible your hand writing tends to be.
The mind of a fast thinker is too fast for their hands.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 11:01am On Oct 17, 2023
The handwriting is clear and legible to the Pharmacist enough that he can interpret and correct errors and intervene if the treatment goals are not clear or going to counter one another leading to wastage of time and resources. It is also necessary for regulatory filing just in case a case comes up

Most professionals do not have great handwriting. I have met few exceptions though and I still marvel at their beautiful handwriting till date.

Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?
In this prescription, there are already errors on it and a Pharmacist must intervene. If not, that patient is just wasting his time and money wink
Most people are in hospitals to manage the side effects of their medications and that's why you need the Pharmacist to see your prescription first and foremost even before getting and/or taking your medications. Prescription errors are not uncommon.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by wunmi590(m): 11:01am On Oct 17, 2023

Not all of them, my cousins husband own is very clean, so I asked him, why do they write like that, he said most times is always due to stress...

When you have alot of patience in front of you, you will just be fast enough to write, so that you can meet up with other things...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Ruku87: 11:01am On Oct 17, 2023
1. Is chloromaphenico eye drops for 2days
U have piriton there, tetracycline is there too.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ericmor: 11:01am On Oct 17, 2023
Because they don't have good handwriting
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ukaface(f): 11:02am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?
Yes I can read it
Maybe cos I’m a registered nurse

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Blitzking: 11:02am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
I can actually see all clearly but I no go help u decode am..we have bad handwriting becos we intentionally want it to be bad.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by HardBishop: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2023
There's a medical course they teach those bad graphics

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Emola12(m): 11:03am On Oct 17, 2023
Is Only their pharmacy that will understand the handwriting if you know you know

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Rayban26: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2023
saasala:
They do that sh1t on purpose. It is a global menace

It's not on purpose. Doctors work is harder than the average profession and they take in doses of information while attending to patients. So they tend to write faster than normal which makes their handwriting distorted.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Mrniceguy001: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2023
The first is chlorophenicol
There's also tetracycline... grin grin it's not so difficult although my dad is a pharmacist.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Penboy: 11:04am On Oct 17, 2023
But this is very clear nau
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Ekpekus(m): 11:04am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
The prescription is clear na grin...
Chloramphenicol eye drop
Loratidine
Piriton
Tetracycline
Ibuprofen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Moikiitos: 11:05am On Oct 17, 2023
So that it CAN'T BE FORGED grin grin grin

Enemyofpeace:
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Bestmanedet(m): 11:05am On Oct 17, 2023
It's only in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by sonofsteven: 11:06am On Oct 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:
It is not for you to understand, just take the prescription to the pharmacist.

It is not intended to be understood by laymen.

Any medical practitioner will read those writing very clearly.

Even an apprentice in a pharmacy won't have issues understanding them.

Chloram
Tetra
Etc

Anyways those in the drugs department knows what it is by just seeing first 4 to 5 letters
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by InvertedHammer: 11:06am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
/
That's because we are still stuck in the 19th Century.

In developed nations, they use drop down menus to select medication, strength, dosage, etc.

Anyway, I see chloramphenicol 2 drops three times daily/ 1 tablet loratidine 2x daily, tetracycline 500mg, ibuprofen 400mg

NB: That's a wrong format for writing prescriptions

It makes sense though because of our penchant for self-medication. We love to cut corners in everything.
/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Discountsempai: 11:06am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Because when you are seeing the 40th patient of the day, and it is not yet 11 o clock in the morning, ye need to write fast to make sure you see the other 50 you gotta see.

Some hospitals are upgrading to computer and intranet systems (here in Abuja, government hospitals like National Hospital and FMC Jabi have led the way).

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by misreal(m): 11:07am On Oct 17, 2023
grin
saasala:
They do that sh1t on purpose. It is a global menace
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Lumarstone: 11:07am On Oct 17, 2023
It's one of the things they always learn during their training.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Discountsempai: 11:07am On Oct 17, 2023
InvertedHammer:

/
That's because we are still stuck in the 19th Century.

In developed nations, they use drop down menus to select medication, strength, dosage, etc.

Anyway, I see chloramphenicol, loratidine,

Here in Abuja, some government and private hospitals have drop down menus and computers already.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by donmik: 11:08am On Oct 17, 2023
Chloropenicol eye drop

Loratidine etc

I'm not in that field at all o but just vast
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by seanery: 11:08am On Oct 17, 2023
So far its a Muslim doctor..., they are cursed with such handWriting
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by toyosiolamide(m): 11:09am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Because they write so fast trying to catch up with loads of patients waiting to be seen.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by izenco2005(m): 11:09am On Oct 17, 2023
Some of them, can't spell correctly
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by billionman: 11:10am On Oct 17, 2023
They're not difficult to read for those who understands the parlance. However, as a patient, you're suppose to know what is been written to or about you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help!! How Do I Get Rid Of These Spots On My Knees? / Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets / Burning/Burying Of Placenta: Right Or Wrong Action?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.