Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) (36990 Views)

79 Medical Doctors Resign From Kogi Govt Hospitals / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ibrocool(m): 11:49am On Oct 17, 2023
Samantha124:
But there's no use writing like that because the prescriptions will still have their names written on them.
Have you ever encountered a prescription that it is so hard to read. Even pharmacists outside the hospital won't get it.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Pauldollars(m): 11:49am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ekitimanalways(m): 11:52am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?
The jargon that doctors deal with also lends itself to bad handwriting.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by dchamp234(m): 11:54am On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:
It's pretty clear what is written there. The patient likely has a flu or some other discomfort with allergies. And a big headache.
How you take know? Amebo.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Fryx: 11:54am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Not deliberate. Science students generally have bad handwriting. Sometimes, I wonder how my teacher reads my notes.

However, it is only science students that write fast that is more prone to this type of writing. I am a very fast writer.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 11:55am On Oct 17, 2023
DECLAN2015:

The only error here is the Anti histamine .
Is either u want to give loratidine or piritin since they are same drug except that piritin as sedative as side effect..

A pharmacist can not just be correcting the drug since he or she did not know d px and the complains or commodity...but can discuss with the doctor to arrive just for the px sake
Smh. When you don't want the Pharmacist to intervene to correct the errors in your prescription, you better go to Pharmacy school first before you start writing prescriptions with errors. You want to be a drug expert obviously but you can not be one if you are not a Pharmacist.

The medication was compounded by a Pharmacist who knows what you want to achieve in the patient and immediately knows your complaints. Even for off-label use of any medication, the Pharmacist is your last line of defense and the Prescription is his/her property.

You're completely ignorant if you think the Pharmacist doesn't know your problem yet could formulate medication for that your problem. If you don't take advantage of his expert advice, na you sabi o.

On the errors, let me just leave it to the only one you figured. I only brought it up to let OP know why the handwriting is even like that. I am not getting into the petty Prescriber-Pharmacist gbosgbas joor.

Btw, it's not right that OP's prescription is shared on social media like this.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Teymanhenry(f): 11:55am On Oct 17, 2023
Matinox:
Doctors are notorious for being unable to write legibly. The most common explanation seems to be that overuse of the hands and the need to write notes quickly are to blame. The sheer volume of information recorded daily causes our handwriting, even if it was good initially, to deteriorate over time.

Wow I can hardly believe this
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 11:56am On Oct 17, 2023
Finestgurlie:
shatap
go to politics section NOW
. Chai..babe, you got Me for real. You really did.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by porthouse7(f): 11:56am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
na craze Dey worry dem, bunch of happy killers, I hate doctors more than police
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by skutugalance: 11:57am On Oct 17, 2023
It's professional relationship between those involved in the field.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nomyth: 11:57am On Oct 17, 2023
Matinox:
Doctors are notorious for being unable to write legibly. The most common explanation seems to be that overuse of the hands and the need to write notes quickly are to blame. The sheer volume of information recorded daily causes our handwriting, even if it was good initially, to deteriorate over time.

This, exactly is the simple reason for the bad handwriting.

Those saying it's because they don't want u to see the prescription are simply uninformed.

One, as a patient, u have the rights to know what drug or injection u are given.

And two, even if u don't know the name of the drug cuz of the doctor's bad hand writing, aren't u goin to easily see it on the package when the pharmacists give u?
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by izubext007: 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2023
Because is medical coding
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by eyinjuege: 12:01pm On Oct 17, 2023
I can read it clearly sha
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by casualobserver: 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

It is medical shorthand, those who are meant to understand what is written understand what is written, I.e pharmacists.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Jaymoney5000(m): 12:06pm On Oct 17, 2023
Finestgurlie:
shatap
go to politics section NOW

😂😂
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Isolock: 12:08pm On Oct 17, 2023
Laziness
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 12:09pm On Oct 17, 2023
Obakoolex:
They are trying to confuse the sickness grin
. Lols. U meant 2 say d pers wit d sickness.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Doris4ever(m): 12:14pm On Oct 17, 2023
I have noticed this too. Almost all of them write that way.

Meanwhile
I'm an experience driver in Lagos. I need a car to drive on uber/bolt for weekly remittance.
Please if you have a car for me, quote me or check contact on my profile.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by dokyOloye: 12:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
adecz:

😁😁😁

They attend special course units
for illegible calligraphic🖌️ writing ✍️✍️✍️

Truth though is that for 1st 3 years, the workload in medical school is heavy and
lecturers after lecturers just come and
dictate . If you are not a fast writer, you'll
get left behind in lecture notes & fast
writing sacrifices quality of the writing. That
is how it starts and remains with them.
Chief!
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by slowice(m): 12:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
Se do it on purpose, like a code thing you just have to learn it.

They write beautifully in their noted but write zigzag-ly when writing for patients
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Banat89(m): 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2023
Chloramphenicol eyedrop
Loratidine tab
Piriton tab
Tetracycline tab
Ibuprofen tab
Vit-c tab

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2023
Moikiitos:
So that it CAN'T BE FORGED grin grin grin

. Ok o.. Tinibu boys will after you. Dey there dey play.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by MightySparrow: 12:26pm On Oct 17, 2023
Zonefree:
They don't want you to go another place to get the drugs. They'll direct you to a specific pharmacy with such handwriting.

Not really, they don't want you to do self medication. Sometimes, the drug they give is a trial.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 12:38pm On Oct 17, 2023
litaninja:
For you and everyone saying this is professional, I'm here to inform you that this is peak unprofessionalism.
First, you are not supposed to prescribe an medicine to a patient without discussion the effects, possible side-effects and dosage with them. So how the f**k are you writing sh*t they can't see in prescriptions?
Try that nonsense in any 1st world country and see the outcome.
. I totally agree with you. You can‘t just prescribe any kind of drugs for me in the dark what if I don‘t take such drugs?
Especially if I can‘t remember telling you that I‘m from iragbiji.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 17, 2023
Legend has it that certain number of people die each year as a result of the doctor's handwritings.

The pharmacist, not able to decode correctly would hand out the wrong medication!
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by drphantom: 12:42pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Lol.

I read it easily.

The prescription is not for you. It's for the pharmacist and they understand our hurried-borne-of-rapidly-taking-notes-in-class handwriting....at least mostly.

If you want to know what your doctor is giving you, simply ask him or her
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by zoedew: 12:43pm On Oct 17, 2023
WHEN YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO WRITE AND ALMOST ALWAYS IN SITUATIONS OF EMERGENCY YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY DOCTOR'S HANDWRITING CAN BE SO DIFFICULT TO READ
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 12:44pm On Oct 17, 2023
nairamaniac:

You do well. So I should not understand a directive to apply drugs into my own body?

What if he's telling the pharmacist to add 2Miligramme of poison and tear the paper that would have been an only evidence?
. You‘re right on this. But again why would a Doc. do that? I mean to what end?
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by spagettiluv: 12:48pm On Oct 17, 2023
Chloramphenicol
Loratidine
Piriton
Vitamin c
Tetracycline
Ibuprofen 400mg
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 12:49pm On Oct 17, 2023
ibrocool:
Have you ever encountered a prescription that it is so hard to read. Even pharmacists outside the hospital won't get it.
. Then it should be considered as a signature. Simple.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
That's legible. I have seen worse. I can even read it
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chibuezem(m): 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2023
Zonefree:

@bolded. You're wrong.

I went to a federal medical center sometime last two years and the doctor prescribed some medications for me. He directed me to a specific pharmacy. On getting there, the quack auxiliary nurse seems not to understand the handwriting. She called the doctor for explanation.

I later found out the doctor is the owner of the pharmacy.
So you are using the misbehavior of a doctor to judge, condemn and castigate all doctors in Nigeria abi....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help!! How Do I Get Rid Of These Spots On My Knees? / Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets / Burning/Burying Of Placenta: Right Or Wrong Action?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.