Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,171 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) (36866 Views)

79 Medical Doctors Resign From Kogi Govt Hospitals / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by grandstar(m): 11:11am On Oct 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:
It is not for you to understand, just take the prescription to the pharmacist.

It is not intended to be understood by laymen.

Any medical practitioner will read those writing very clearly.

Even an apprentice in a pharmacy won't have issues understanding them.

It is estimated that 7,000 people die yearly due to illegible doctor's writing, so enemyofpeace's question has some validity in it.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by cliqtips: 11:12am On Oct 17, 2023
Funny enough... another doctors can read it and also pharmacist
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ManOfMan: 11:13am On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:
It's pretty clear what is written there. The patient likely has a flu or some other discomfort with allergies. And a big headache.

I noticed the doctor prescribed both Loratadine and Piriton (Chlorpheniramine) at the same time.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by airsaylongcome: 11:15am On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:
It's pretty clear what is written there. The patient likely has a flu or some other discomfort with allergies. And a big headache.

What's that scribbled between piriton and tetracycline? Do Piriton and Loratidine work for allergies? I've got very terrible allergies to spores and dust. In full allergy mode, Actifed and Otrivin for me to stand a chance
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 17, 2023
Not all of them write like that.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2023
Another one said it's flu.. grin grin grin.. When did it change from flu to eye problem?
carlleung:
The patient have eye problem, chloramphenicol eye drops was recommended
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Cregon: 11:20am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?

I guess you complained of itchy eyes with pains

Chloramphenicol eye drops 2 drops 3 times daily for 2 weeks

Loratidine Tablet 1 twice daily for 5 days

Piriton tablet 1 daily for 3 days (I wonder why you will be given this with the above since they are both anti-histimines)

Vitamin C twice daily for 2 weeks (this isnt clear enough sha)

500mg Tetracycline twice daily for 5 days

400 mg Ibuprofen tablet twice daily for 5 days

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Preciouschinwe(f): 11:20am On Oct 17, 2023
[quote author=Enemyofpeace post=126360896]Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?[/quite] I don't know why too
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2023
But there's no use writing like that because the prescriptions will still have their names written on them.
ibrocool:
Don't be fooled with the handwriting. It is a way of doing their mago mago so that the patient won't be able to easily decode what is written. Another reason they do it is to avoid people getting the drugs from pharmacy outside the hospital where it will be cheaper. I was given a prescription at General Hospital at General Hospital in Lagos some years ago. The pharmacist could not tell the name of all the drugs. I had to go back to all the hospital to get the remaining drugs.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Fiscus105(m): 11:22am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?

That prediction is terminologies in medical field,.... medicine, pharmacy and nursing.

If u re not in that field u can't know it even if it's written clearly.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by DavSagacity(m): 11:22am On Oct 17, 2023
I can see almost all the Dr prescription...
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Demurray: 11:23am On Oct 17, 2023
adecz:

😁😁😁

They attend special course units
for illegible calligraphic🖌️ writing ✍️✍️✍️

Truth though is that for 1st 3 years, the workload in medical school is heavy and
lecturers after lecturers just come and
dictate . If you are not a fast writer, you'll
get left behind in lecture notes & fast
writing sacrifices quality of the writing. That
is how it starts and remains with them.
Well said

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by vincentus16: 11:27am On Oct 17, 2023
make I list m.
chloramphenicol eyedrop
loratidine
piriton
tetracycline
ibuprofen

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Ishilove: 11:27am On Oct 17, 2023
It is called 'doctor's griffonage.' Applied mostly to avoid people self medicating on their prescriptions.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by chiagozien(m): 11:27am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
I'm not a doctor but I understand everything there.

If you're in medical line you will understand them.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by litaninja(m): 11:30am On Oct 17, 2023
For you and everyone saying this is professional, I'm here to inform you that this is peak unprofessionalism.
First, you are not supposed to prescribe an medicine to a patient without discussion the effects, possible side-effects and dosage with them. So how the f**k are you writing sh*t they can't see in prescriptions?
Try that nonsense in any 1st world country and see the outcome.
wittywriter:
IGNORANCE @ it's Peak!
OP got me lol calling it difficult handwriting.

That's part of the professionalism in the medical sector.

Fixed

Wittyness.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by DECLAN2015(m): 11:32am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

This one is even clear
Is not for you to understand
Just take it to the pharmacy
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Xking(m): 11:33am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
chlorophenicle eyedrop, pritin, loratidine, tetracycline and ibrofen
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Avast(m): 11:35am On Oct 17, 2023
I am not a medical person but I can still read some of these.

1 Chloramphenicol Eye Drop 2 drops

2 Loratadine Tablet (not sure)

3 Piriton Tablet

5 Ibuprofen Tablet
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nopretence: 11:36am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
I can read all they wrote simply I work in the dietary department and this is a writing for patient or his family not to buy outside the drugs or the brand,if u want me to read to you then hi me on 08169902111
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by nairamaniac: 11:37am On Oct 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:
It is not for you to understand, just take the prescription to the pharmacist.

It is not intended to be understood by laymen.

Any medical practitioner will read those writing very clearly.

Even an apprentice in a pharmacy won't have issues understanding them.
You do well. So I should not understand a directive to apply drugs into my own body?

What if he's telling the pharmacist to add 2Miligramme of poison and tear the paper that would have been an only evidence?
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Lemino(m): 11:38am On Oct 17, 2023
Chlorophenicol
Loratadine
Puriton
Tetracycline
Ibuprofen
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Xking(m): 11:39am On Oct 17, 2023
Cregon:

I guess you complained of itchy eyes with pains

Chloramphenicol eye drops 2 drops 3 times daily for 2 weeks

Loratidine Tablet 1 twice daily for 5 days

Piriton tablet 1 daily for 3 days (I wonder why you will be given this with the above since they are both anti-histimines)

Vitamin C twice daily for 2 weeks (this isnt clear enough sha)

500mg Tetracycline twice daily for 5 days

400 mg Ibuprofen tablet twice daily for 5 days

I wonder too, both are antihistamine
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ufotunang: 11:42am On Oct 17, 2023
That is how they trained them in the university/ medical school to write
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by nlreserve: 11:42am On Oct 17, 2023
carlleung:
The patient have eye problem, chloramphenicol eye drops was recommended
plus ibuprofen
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by DECLAN2015(m): 11:44am On Oct 17, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The handwriting is clear and legible to the Pharmacist enough that he can interpret and correct errors and intervene if the treatment goals are not clear or going to counter one another leading to wastage of time and resources. It is also necessary for regulatory filing just in case a case comes up

Most professionals do not have great handwriting. I have met few exceptions though and I still marvel at their beautiful handwriting till date.

In this prescription, there are already errors on it and a Pharmacist must intervene. If not, that patient is just wasting his time and money wink
Most people are in hospitals to manage the side effects of their medications and that's why you need the Pharmacist to see your prescription first and foremost even before getting and/or taking your medications. Prescription errors are not uncommon.

The only error here is the Anti histamine .
Is either u want to give loratidine or piritin since they are same drug except that piritin as sedative as side effect..

A pharmacist can not just be correcting the drug since he or she did not know d px and the complains or commodity...but can discuss with the doctor to arrive just for the px sake
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by ejimatic: 11:44am On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Drugs prescribed here are readable:. Priton Tetracycline Ibuprofen,. Chloramphenicol etc
Tds Three times daily
BF breakfast and dinner
3/7 Use for only 3days
2/54. Use for only 2weeks
5/7. Use for only 5 days.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Nopretence: 11:45am On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:
nooo,the patient had eye issue
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Papayaayasager(m): 11:45am On Oct 17, 2023
They do it on purpose so you takt ir to the pharmacy direct to avoid self medication.

For example:
The first one is chloramphenicol tablet 2days
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by kkulaja(m): 11:46am On Oct 17, 2023
ebig21:

I can see those drugs na
Loratidine, cholaramphenical, piriton, ibuprofen

Tetracycline
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Chochovini: 11:48am On Oct 17, 2023
These are signatures not any particular kind of writings or so I thought.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Do You Think Will Be The After Effect Of COVID-19 On Many Countries? / Any Medical Professional Should Explain This Transvaginal U/S Scan, Please / Insect Inside My Ear Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.