Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) (36972 Views)

79 Medical Doctors Resign From Kogi Govt Hospitals / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?
Easy peasy.
Chloramphenicol eyedrops 2 drops 3 times daily for 1 week
Loratidine tab 1 tab 2x daily for 5 days
Piriton 1 tab at night for 3 days
Vitamin C 1 tab 3 times daily for 2 weeks
Tetracycline 500mg 3 times daily for 1 week
Ibuprofen tab 400mg 3 times daily for 5 days

My Deductions
1. The ibuprofen was asterixed probably he's afraid the patient is a Peptic Ulcer Disease or gastritis case. So its a tentative drug
2. This is a young doc. Probably less than 5 years. He made 3 prescription errors in the piriton(chlorpheniramine) and loratidine. And he appended tetracycline as tab instead of cap since it is in capsules(as far as I know. I haven't seen any tabs in my practice). He probably added the piriton as a sedative backup but ots still wrong.
3. This is a higher institution settings. I may be wrong here.
4. The patient diagnosis is probably pruritic viral conjunctivitis locally known as 'Apollo'(which is on a rampage now. I have seen 10 cases in this month in Lagos) . He should have used a different oral antibiotic like amoxyclav or cefuroxime instead of tetracycline.

All in all, the handwriting is pretty eligible. I have seen worse grin
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by LeoDeKing: 2:48pm On Oct 17, 2023
nairamaniac:

Even if he is a random pharmacist, what if it's also writen in that shorthand language that *the patient is responsible for low salaries being paid to medical practitioners in Nigeria, and must be terminated at once* grin
Then, stop going to the doctor, start treating yourself. With this mindset, no doctor will ever attend to you.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by billyG(m): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Can you read this handwriting? Does anyone understand what is written on the prescription form? Do they write like this deliberately for patients not to understand what they wrote?
To prevent self medication & to write in English na big work they have to use shorthand.
I can see chloramphenicol eyedrop,loratidine,ibuprofen,piriton,vitc, tetracycline there.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by joinnow: 3:01pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by winner37(m): 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2023
I think is the same spirit possessing every doctor ..
Is like army slangs only them understand themselves..
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by hush15: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Easy peazy... nurse can always read this, atleast, I can. There is a medical way of taking notes else there will be too much to write ✍️ and read 📚 while millions are waiting in line and piles of paper been wasted.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by Westerhoffe(m): 3:21pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

I am only going to tell you the first one is Chloramphenicol Eyedrops.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by NairaMaster1(m): 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Let a pharmacist check this prescription for you. I site an error there.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The handwriting is clear and legible to the Pharmacist enough that he can interpret and correct errors and intervene if the treatment goals are not clear or going to counter one another leading to wastage of time and resources. It is also necessary for regulatory filing just in case a case comes up

Most professionals do not have great handwriting. I have met few exceptions though and I still marvel at their beautiful handwriting till date.

In this prescription, there are already errors on it and a Pharmacist must intervene. If not, that patient is just wasting his time and money wink
Most people are in hospitals to manage the side effects of their medications and that's why you need the Pharmacist to see your prescription first and foremost even before getting and/or taking your medications. Prescription errors are not uncommon.
I know he made some errors, but everyone makes errors, pharmacists included. And sometimes we make some prescriptions that pharmacists dont understand the rationale. So if you see 'an error', try and run it by the physician and see if it is an actual priscription error
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2023
grandstar:

It is estimated that 7,000 people die yearly due to illegible doctor's writing, so enemyofpeace's question has some validity in it.
Whoa. Can I see the source of the research?
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 3:48pm On Oct 17, 2023
litaninja:
For you and everyone saying this is professional, I'm here to inform you that this is peak unprofessionalism.
First, you are not supposed to prescribe an medicine to a patient without discussion the effects, possible side-effects and dosage with them. So how the f**k are you writing sh*t they can't see in prescriptions?
Try that nonsense in any 1st world country and see the outcome.
I discuss side effects with my patients, especially those including sedation and abdominal pains(which pertain to the index case) and I practice in Nigeria. I also tell them the names of the drugs(they have the rights to know). But I write my own prescriptions just like OP. So take it easy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2023
Papayaayasager:
They do it on purpose so you takt ir to the pharmacy direct to avoid self medication.

For example:
The first one is chloramphenicol tablet 2days
Tablets? Thats eyedrop
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by grandstar(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2023
jaephoenix:

Whoa. Can I see the source of the research?

See below. That is deaths in America alone.

https://www.gilmanbedigian.com/doctors-bad-handwriting-causing-fatal-injuries/
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Smh. When you don't want the Pharmacist to intervene to correct the errors in your prescription, you better go to Pharmacy school first before you start writing prescriptions with errors. You want to be a drug expert obviously but you can not be one if you are not a Pharmacist.

The medication was compounded by a Pharmacist who knows what you want to achieve in the patient and immediately knows your complaints. Even for off-label use of any medication, the Pharmacist is your last line of defense and the Prescription is his/her property.

You're completely ignorant if you think the Pharmacist doesn't know your problem yet could formulate medication for that your problem. If you don't take advantage of his expert advice, na you sabi o.

On the errors, let me just leave it to the only one you figured. I only brought it up to let OP know why the handwriting is even like that. I am not getting into the petty Prescriber-Pharmacist gbosgbas joor.

Btw, it's not right that OP's prescription is shared on social media like this.
Bro, you may be a pharmacist but a physician is a physician. I know the possible drug-drug interactions even though you may know them more than me. But the point is we use different regimens to handle different clinical scenarios. If I make an error in my prescriptions and the pharmacist calls my attention to it, I make a point in thanking them properly. Sometimes its my regimen and I alone know more of the patient's pathology than you the pharmacy. So you need to learn too. In advanced countries, a pharmacist doesn't tamper with a physician's prescriptions. If you notice an irregularity, alert the physician, or worse, decline in dispensing the drugs. But don't tamper or tell the patient rubbish. Its only in Nigeria you see pharmacists changing prescriptions and causing chaos
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 4:02pm On Oct 17, 2023
porthouse7:
na craze Dey worry dem, bunch of happy killers, I hate doctors more than police
I hope you go to your pastor or herbalist if you have a ruptured uterus. Good luck
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by kapelvej: 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

One of the meds. Seems like the patient had something a Panado could've worked out. However, only the doctor knows what they were presented with.
grin but the big headache still ´getting me cracking
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by porthouse7(f): 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2023
jaephoenix:

I hope you go to your pastor or herbalist if you have a ruptured uterus. Good luck
u need it more
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 4:09pm On Oct 17, 2023
FxMasterz:

They don't want you to know the drugs, so that you wouldn't go and buy them for yourself next time you have the same ailment. They must keep collecting your money each time you consult them. They're trained to write like that. The pharmacists are also trained to be able to read it clearly.
I knew you'll apply the poor logical reasoning you apply in religious matters in your daily life.
Those handwritings are learned right from med school. Mine was right from pharmacology classes. Also from ward rounds. You have to keep up with rapid words of the lecturer or consultant. And s/he won't repeat himself for anyone. If you snooze, you lose.
And you as a patient reserve the rights to ask your doc the names and reasons for the drugs you take. Also ask for side effects. We are under obligations to tell you. If the doc declines, you can report or sue him or her
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by porthouse7(f): 4:09pm On Oct 17, 2023
jaephoenix:

I no Dey visit hospital
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

Because of the eye drops? Could be, but clearly they're having some sort of allergy or anaphylactic symptoms.
Could be allergic, vernal or viral conjuctivitis
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by BRATISLAVA: 4:11pm On Oct 17, 2023
99thEnemy:

Chloramphenical eye drops, piriton, Ibuprofen, tetracycline...

And you mentioned flu?😳

Chloramphenical and tetracycline are both antibiotics of which non is used to treat flu.

Piriton is for allergy and reactions only.

Ibuprofen is a painkiller ..Yes can be used for headache but also for other types of pain too...

This your medical condition prediction from prescription get K-leg.

As I said, "only the doctor knows what they were presented with."

I'm a fake doctor, like you.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by BRATISLAVA: 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2023
jaephoenix:

Could be allergic, vernal or viral conjuctivitis

That's true.

But why all the loratidine etc over something that will clear up on its own? Plus ibuprofen? Does conjunctivitis hurt? Thought it's more of a dirty disease.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 4:14pm On Oct 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

So you don't even trust your doctor? Why then did you go to him?

Then a random pharmacist who may not even know the doctor will quickly key into the doctor's plan to commit murder and all after, destroy evidence.

Start treating yourself and avoid doctors. Don't even allow any surgeon to operate on you or any of your relations if the need arises.
The dude is obviously a hater. So I just ignored him
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by BRATISLAVA: 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Hahahahahahahahaha....I don't "like" the drowsiness per se. I like the "fight" to overcome it. When I was younger (and as long as I wasn't driving) I could take a tab and fight off the drowsiness. But these days (age is a "bastard"wink even half tablet is by the grace of God. I've figured out that a 90 minute snooze will fix the drowsiness

Lol.

All of you who "fight" off medicine induced drowsiness need a strait jacket. Is it like a badge of honor? Some people like fighting it off for kicks. And others savor the sleep.

I think the resistance gets better with age, though. Couldn't tolerate such before, but now fighting it off comes more easily. Or maybe it's discipline. You snooze you lose. grin
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

As I said, "only the doctor knows what they were presented with."

I'm a fake doctor, like you.
grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by EMCHIZ(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Chloramphenicol eyedrops,
Tetracycline tablets 500mg
Ibuprofane tablets 400mg
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by BRATISLAVA: 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2023
99thEnemy:

grin grin grin

What do ducks say?

grin
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by BRATISLAVA: 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2023
EMCHIZ:

Chloramphenicol eyedrops,
Tetracycline tablets 500mg
Ibuprofane tablets 400mg

That medicine must be full of cusses.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

What do ducks say?

grin
Quack Quack Quack. grin
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by BRATISLAVA: 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2023
99thEnemy:

Quack Quack Quack. grin

Oui oui. With English sentiment.
Re: Why Are Medical Doctors' Handwriting So Difficult To Read?(photo) by jaephoenix(m): 4:21pm On Oct 17, 2023
grandstar:

See below. That is deaths in America alone.

https://www.gilmanbedigian.com/doctors-bad-handwriting-causing-fatal-injuries/
Thanks.
However I clicked on the link about the 7k mortality and it was broken. It led nowhere.
Besides that is not a medical or scientific site, so I take their info with a truckload of salt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Francis Megwa, Nigerian Doctor Who Knew ‘Near Nothing’ Faces Panel In Ireland / DELSU Final Year Law Student Drowns In Hotel Swimming Pool 2 Weeks To Graduation / Help!! How Do I Get Rid Of These Spots On My Knees?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.