Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas (50791 Views)

Only Those Who Had Their Primary In The 80s And 90s Can Relate / How Many Of You Did This During Christmas / What My Life Looks Like During This Lockdown | Farming, Swimming, Having Fun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by tuoyoojo(m): 3:26pm On Oct 17, 2023
poshestmina:
grin grin .

We were always fighting for who to go and give one Uncle Kelvin and his wife food(they were the most generous neighbors).

Then the excitement of showing off your new oversized cloth grin grin grin.
You will wake up 20times before dawn to check it, make them no tiff or rough am cheesy.

Good memories.

You honestly made me laugh! How time flies....those times that rice was a delicacy that we eat only during festivities

2 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by udemzyudex(m): 3:29pm On Oct 17, 2023
Those years wey mama go use broom measure your leg go buy shoe for inside Eko market.

LOL.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Feelings79: 3:33pm On Oct 17, 2023
Sonnobax15:
grin
No be lie...

I just came across a similar photo we took way back in the 90's,on an Xmas day......

Even the coat wey me and my brothers wear make me laugh so hard grin. I wonder who taught those tailors and seamstresses those award winning styles grin

Gone are those days cha............I remember the first Xmas when my father bought fancy shoes for us instead of our regular sandals....Out of over excitement,I brought it out to show off to my friends...... Unfortunately little did I know my father was busy watching me all those while, from upstairs grin.......That was how a huge knock landed in my head and he also ended up seizing the shoes.....

Abi na those times wey we go stroll go our aunts and uncles houses grin. And settle down chop stew rice,cuz jollof rice and fried rice wasn't common as at then... At the end,na who we visit him/her Uncles dormot pass wey give us money go get the highest amount of money when the money is being shared cheesy
Very very familiar experience with me here in Benue state, around the late eighties and early nineties
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Noora28(f): 3:45pm On Oct 17, 2023
And then the try your luck blomblom. Took me a while to find out no one could ever win the big one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Kay25(m): 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2023
90's was cool by now bangers would have been sounding

4 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Dayvidblue: 3:51pm On Oct 17, 2023
Jennyclay:
Back then, There’s this card that is called promise card. The card contains list of gifts like money, sweet, biscuits, caprisun juice, dress, shoe etc. When Christmas is approaching, I used to carry the card around to school, church, neighbor’s house and even visitors so they could tick any gift they wish to give me on Christmas Day.

Some will fulfill their promises while some won’t. It was really fun as a kid.
Oh! Promise card, it usually made me rich for me to end up up enriching my older cousins.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Emday(m): 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2023
Honestly this is truly nostalgic.

Your dressing isn't complete without Green 'goggles' or pink ones.😀

And the banger wars....throwing knockouts inside neighbours compound and expecting a reaction.

Truly it seems the climate has changed. By this time, you could literally feel Christmas and New year in the air.

7 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2023
Rapmoney:
If you grew up as a Nigerian kid in the 80s and 90s, you can surely relate to this. Fondest memories.

Please share your 80s and 90s Christmas experiences as a kid.

Few days preceding Christmas, we used to shoot toy guns with pipes gotten from old abandoned refrigerators. This was before knockouts and bangers were introduced. We would add the head of a matchstick and fire with a loud sound. Some kids used to dig the ground to make a particular spoon shape and pour hot led gotten from condemned battery to make a loud sounding device called 'Agadagbo'. Old Bendel kids can relate.

Jollof rice with Chicken or beef make Dem con add stew for aside.
Oh boy

I think there was more love/trust amongst Nigerians back then compared to now . Love, sharing and giving. Where you cook and package some to your neighbors with drinks.

If you try such this era, almost half of the foods would end up in dust bins

6 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2023
Emday:
Honestly this is truly nostalgic.

Your dressing isn't complete without Green 'goggles' or pink ones.😀

And the banger wars....throwing knockouts inside neighbours compound and expecting a reaction.

Truly it seems the climate has changed. By this time, you could literally feel Christmas and New year in the air.
See Trenches life style way back.
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2023
Kay25:
90's was cool by now bangers would have been sounding
Yeah true, what's your thoughts on this generation?
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Emday(m): 3:55pm On Oct 17, 2023
Meerahbel:
Jollof rice with Chicken or beef make Dem con add stew for aside.
Oh boy

I think there was more love/trust amongst Nigerians back then compared to now . Love, sharing and giving. Where you cook and package some to your neighbors with drinks.

If you try such this era, almost half of the foods would end up in dust bins

yeah.....so.much has changed in just about 30 years.....our values have really changed as a people. you will hardly allow your children mix with people in the neighborhood these days. Back then, if i wasnt home by nightfall, my mum knew at least 4 places in the neighborhood i could be

4 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 3:55pm On Oct 17, 2023
grin
Smitaro100:

Ebot.. I was born in d 90's, how is dat a crime? undecided
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by ednut1(m): 3:56pm On Oct 17, 2023
Can’t relate. Never looked like this. Ewww
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Chochovini: 3:56pm On Oct 17, 2023
Smitaro100:

. Who said is a crime? It‘s just that you‘re an indomie generation. The more reason you‘re not part of that thread.
Those children you saw in that pics might have become fathers and mothers in their respective destinations by mow.

2 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Smitaro100(m): 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2023
Chochovini:
. Who said is a crime? It‘s just that you‘re an indomie generation. The more reason you‘re not part of that thread.
Those children you saw in that pics might have become fathers and mothers in their respective destinations by mow.

Na person wey loose your chain I blame. undecided
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by doubleportion: 4:00pm On Oct 17, 2023
234GT:
When men were boys.

There is this racket that you would fill up with the powder from matches head, and use a nail to press it down, then you slam it against the wall to give a loud bang. This was before bangers and knockouts.....

Good old days when one had nothing to worry about as kids........

grin grin grin yeah! Racket made from bicycle and motorcycle wheel spoke
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Kennitrust(m): 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2023
234GT:
When men were boys.

There is this racket that you would fill up with the powder from matches head, and use a nail to press it down, then you slam it against the wall to give a loud bang. This was before bangers and knockouts.....

Good old days when one had nothing to worry about as kids........
adulthood na scam angry

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Kay25(m): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2023
Meerahbel:
Yeah true, what's your thoughts on this generation?
This generation is missing a lot they thought they are having it more better than ours but no no .. families don't gather as usual,fun is no longer as it is only sit to watch phones unlike then where things were communal.. I remember on our street the whole children will gather as one of the houses will cook rice for us to eat

5 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 4:14pm On Oct 17, 2023
Smitaro100:

grin
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by ultimateprof: 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
When boys and girls were holy.

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2023
Kay25:

This generation is missing a lot they thought they are having it more better than ours but no no .. families don't gather as usual,fun is no longer as it is only sit to watch phones unlike then where things were communal.. I remember on our street the whole children will gather as one of the houses will cook rice for us to eat
You can hardly have a decent conversation without them touching their phones. Some are addicted to social media.

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2023
ednut1:
Can’t relate. Never looked like this. Ewww
Gen z spotted.

2 Likes

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Meerahbel: 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2023
Emday:

yeah.....so.much has changed in just about 30 years.....our values have really changed as a people. you will hardly allow your children mix with people in the neighborhood these days. Back then, if i wasnt home by nightfall, my mum knew at least 4 places in the neighborhood i could be
True but Pedophile, Gbeomo Gbeomo kidnapper and robbery wouldn't allow such to happen again.

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Doris4ever(m): 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2023
Life is just a phase, each person at certain period have different experience of life. The fact that children of nowadays are having different experience doesn't mean the earlier children didn't enjoy theirs.

Meanwhile
I'm an experience driver in Lagos. I need a car to drive on uber/bolt for weekly remittance.
Please if you have a car for me, quote me or check contact on my profile.

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Bahamas95(m): 4:38pm On Oct 17, 2023
Smitaro100:
Toy handset and watch nko? grin
Toy handset in 80s and 90s?

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Smitaro100(m): 4:41pm On Oct 17, 2023
Bahamas95:
Toy handset in 80s and 90s?

There was in d 90's.. Asin toy handset.

It will only b strange to you because ure a certified atutu poyoyo. grin

1 Like

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by 99thEnemy(m): 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2023
Jeon:
All those things you mentioned are still available,but location matters.
Who would know these locations better than you?

Just saying... grin
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Victoria2022(f): 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2023
Their shades are shading😂😂
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by nedekid: 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2023
Smitaro100:

Not a crime son, neither is being indomie generation too.
As you old pass some others old pass you, them old pass those ones too. Who wan de old sef.. undecided
Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by Smitaro100(m): 5:05pm On Oct 17, 2023
nedekid:

Not a crime son, neither is being indomie generation too.

Re: Nostalgic Throwback: How 80s And 90s Kids Looked Like During Christmas by MuMuOnBail: 5:06pm On Oct 17, 2023
Na wa ooo

Where will I even start from.

Upon how very wealthy my Dad was, He cared less about us, instead he spent his money on his numerous Concubines and hoes, No wonder I got that adulterous and side chick f*cking blood from him.

My mum who was still in the University then, was the one sewing our Christmas wears for us, from five different material.
Our Christmas clothes look like a masquerade or clown costume, because of the color riot.
What made it more funny is that, she only know how to sew female dresses, which she learnt during her teenage day's in college.

So if you see my Christmas clothes back then, you will think I am a cross dresser because I was technically wearing a girl dress.
grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Husband’s “runs Girl” Used Juju On Him; Wife Of Defunct Skye Bank Chairman / Igbo-Ora, Oyo Has The Highest Number Of Twins In The World / How Facebook Relationship Ended 11-yr-old Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.