Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? (20840 Views)

Can You Advise Someone To Marry In This Room / What Happens After Marriage? How Would You Advise The Unmarried? / Newly Wedded Wife Seeks Divorce After Her Husband Lied About Owning Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by Zeel007: 10:10pm On Oct 18, 2023
AllDModsAreMaad:
Forget about car unless it's for business purpose which is also an investment.

Buy acres or more and also buy one or two plots in a pretty developed area, leave it and focus on your business or whatever gave you the money in the first place or whatever you want to do to generate money.

After few it some years, sell part of the acres in the developing place to build on the developed area.

That way, your finance/business funds will be free from being caged by building project.

Too much wisdom in your head, I just screenshot this for future reference. I was going through comments, to see the best advice, but it came out you sound d best to me. Thanks for the advice

2 Likes

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

With such amount, nothing confines him to Nigeria. Its having the right information and putting into action.

In 2023, you can be anywhere and legitimately call shots anywhere

Typical and evasive response. With $30k liquidity, what can he get legally outside Naija.. not crypto, not stocks. Pls educate us.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 11:07pm On Oct 18, 2023
BigIyanga:

Typical and evasive response. With $30k liquidity, what can he get legally outside Naija.. not crypto, not stocks. Pls educate us.

Stocks will always be part of his options.

Precious metal
Rare coins
Flip and hold real estates in and outside the country.

And, no way I would exclude high yielding stocks
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by sureinfo: 12:42am On Oct 19, 2023
Quick advice, buy land, buy any good oraimo earpod and enjoy your music while your land appreciates. 😁 In 5-10 year time that land will be more valuable and the car will not. 😉

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by AllDModsAreMaad: 1:05am On Oct 19, 2023
Zeel007:

Too much wisdom in your head, I just screenshot this for future reference. I was going through comments, to see the best advice, but it came out you sound d best to me. Thanks for the advice

Thank you bro!

1 Like

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:15am On Oct 19, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

Stocks will always be part of his options.

Precious metal
Rare coins
Flip and hold real estates in and outside the country.

And, no way I would exclude high yielding stocks

Non practical and easy solutions.. coins that are volatile with less Central Banks’ backing and regulation?
Flip and hold real estate in which legal jurisdiction?
Someone from Naija with only citizenship has less protection and recourse if things go sour.. which will most likely with these types of assets.

$30k cant real do nothing in US/EU/UK buy and flip biz.
$100k isnt a lot of money in buy and flip model biz.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:25am On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

Non practical and easy solutions.. coins that are volatile with less Central Banks’ backing and regulation?
Someone from Naija with only citizenship has less protection and recourse if things go sour.. which will most likely with these types of assets.

You don’t need citizenship to flip real real estate. You can buy real estate anywhere in world without being a citizen. Though, Canada stopped it in 2022. The US is still an open market.

Things don’t go sour in those market. No shady biz. They have county assessors and GIS. No one can sell what he does not own. Verification of owner is free. I can get details of a property in less than two minutes just from my phone, once I get the addresses.

Rare coins are limited. They hold value for long and appreciate. Scarcity can shoot prices unexpectedly. People buy coins for ridiculous prices.

Do you have an idea how much one would worth today if he invested into Google or Amazon 10 years ago? Someone who built a house at that time, has not even started making profit.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 4:47am On Oct 19, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

You don’t need citizenship to flip real real estate. You can buy real estate anywhere in world without being a citizen. Though, Canada stopped it in 2022. The US is still an open market.

Things don’t go sour in those market. No shady biz. They have county assessors and GIS. No one can sell what he does not own. Verification of owner is free. I can get details of a property in less than two minutes just from my phone, once I get the addresses.

Rare coins are limited. They hold value for long and appreciate. Scarcity can shoot prices unexpectedly. People buy coins for ridiculous prices.

Do you have an idea how much one would worth today if he invested into Google or Amazon 10 years ago? Someone who built a house at that time, has not even started making profit.

How do you real estate without inspection, due diligence, putting boots on the ground?

How does a Naija pesin in Naija register a realty company in the US without.. an address, phone # and SSN?

Rare coin for up and coming guys? How does a Naija pesin in Naija get it evaluated ? How does take he possession in Naija?

Havd you done any of these things from Naija… with Naija passport and address?
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by ben4ever(m): 5:48am On Oct 19, 2023
A house is better, saves rent and gives you privacy. Car is a liability...
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by John4433: 5:53am On Oct 19, 2023
House is better
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by syntekelite(m): 12:17pm On Oct 19, 2023
Easyincome24:
It's good one plans his/her life early enough to avoid story that touches.

Some of our parents never believed that the country will become what it is today.

My father told me how cheap lands were in the country when he was in his 20's. He regretted not investing enough due to shouldering many responsibilities especially bringing his siblings and extended families to the city. He nurtured them till they became of age. When he realized what's up, time has exceeded him as we the children have needs too.

Now, I'm asking the following question: between owning a car or house, which would you advice someone in his 20's to acquire first?

Both can yield returns as long as they can be used in the proper way for investment.

Can we have more people comment on this to help many who are still in their 20's and able to fund any of the assets?

Note: Some young folks are doing legit work earning in $$$. I have some techy guys in their 20's as software developers, Blockchain DAOs, Freelancers, Content creators, YouTube influencers, Social Media Marketers, 3D animators, AI engineer, Bitcoin minning. They evolve around tech working remotely. So, not all of these guys in their 20's are yahoo yahoo, at least these ones I can guarantee.

We engaged in a discussion where they raised the above question about which is best between owning a car or house at their ages.

Firstly your post aint complete enuf to help us help you with sage advice, so i will ask the pertinent question and reply them...
How much liquid cash is available if 50 to 100million dont buy a house yet invest it in treasury and bond fr 3-5years..
If the cash is less than 50mill depending on your location buying a land is better, in lagos mainlands you can buy 1plot for 30-40mill , in the rural areas like ikorodu ,epe and co its way cheaper like 6-10mill, the reason i said buy land is in the mainland or rural areas you can use the land fr car wash, catfish and cow/ram rearing e.t.c and still sell the land for twice the cost after 7years when you ready to buy a house or build on the land when u hve the funds...
If the cash is about 20-35 mill just come to mushin and buy a house for 15-18mill demolish it and lease it as warehouse in the future the land will still be yours when mushin begins to turn to lekki...
Never listen to people telling you to build house in one bush cos land cheap there land speculation is a serious thing which if you know nothing abt dont rush into it..

1 Like

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:00pm On Oct 19, 2023
syntekelite:

Firstly your post aint complete enuf to help us help you with sage advice, so i will ask the pertinent question and reply them...
How much liquid cash is available if 50 to 100million dont buy a house yet invest it in treasury and bond fr 3-5years..
If the cash is less than 50mill depending on your location buying a land is better, in lagos mainlands you can buy 1plot for 30-40mill , in the rural areas like ikorodu ,epe and co its way cheaper like 6-10mill, the reason i said buy land is in the mainland or rural areas you can use the land fr car wash, catfish and cow/ram rearing e.t.c and still sell the land for twice the cost after 7years when you ready to buy a house or build on the land when u hve the funds...
If the cash is about 20-35 mill just come to mushin and buy a house for 15-18mill demolish it and lease it as warehouse in the future the land will still be yours when mushin begins to turn to lekki...
Never listen to people telling you to build house in one bush cos land cheap there land speculation is a serious thing which if you know nothing abt dont rush into it..
Treasury bond roi is is 8-11% while inflation is above 20%… he will be still lose. Liquidity in Naija attracts so many beggars, families and friends needing help.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

How do you real estate without inspection, due diligence, putting boots on the ground?

You have county certified GIS and Google maps to do that. You don’t need to be there. You will see everything.

How does a Naija pesin in Naija register a realty company in the US without.. an address, phone # and SSN?

You don’t need that, you just owner selling. And even if you want to register a company, you can do that from ‘igetia. Visit ZenBusiness.com

Rare coin for up and coming guys? How does a Naija pesin in Naija get it evaluated ? How does take he possession in Naija? Sigh… I told you it’s a global village earlier. You have certified platform you can buy and sell. Visit jmbullion.com

Havd you done any of these things from Naija… with Naija passport and address? I have not, but I have led people.

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:11pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

Smh…

Don’t let me start giving you free tutorial’s.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:17pm On Oct 19, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

Smh…

Don’t let me start giving you free tutorial’s.
I dont need your idealistic tutorials offered by someone who lives in USA or Canada. TikTok experience is not same as I-have-done-it-experience
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:19pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

I dont need your idealistic tutorials offered by someone who lives in USA or Canada. TikTok experience is not same as I-have-done-it-experience

I believe you know ebay. Go to the property section and see what people are doing there.

Come back here and discuss.

How they source it, that I wont tell you, cos you already believe its impossible.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:38pm On Oct 19, 2023
[quote author=CoronaVirusPro post=126495170][/quote]

It seems you’re looking for investors to entrust with their money. Lol.

What type of real estate deal can yoy start with $30-50k .. abandoned lots in Detroit or MS?

All real deals are localized and controlled by county govts.. GIS and map wont tell you anything about viability and build-ability of land.. you need to hire engineers and surveyors to do soil test and run sample.
If you’re bidding on a house..you need inspectors to check these unless you’re a big investor with $1m war chest.

GIS doesnt tell you anything about easement on any land. If you buy a property without inspection.. and there is some easement on the property.. you gonna need a lot lawyers and pay a lot of $$$ to try reclaiming your property.
How can you do all these with Naija passport without US/Canadia visa??
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:41pm On Oct 19, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

I believe you know ebay. Go to the property section and see what people are doing there.

Come back here and discuss.

How they source it, that I wont tell you, cos you already believe its impossible.
You are have limited practical solutions for someone in Naija per OP. I have been on Ebay for over 20years… abegi talk wetin wey make sense.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:47pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

It seems you’re looking for investors to entrust with their money. Lol.

What type of real estate deal can yoy start with $30-50k .. abandoned lots in Detroit or MS?

All real deals are localized and controlled by county govts.. GIS and map wont tell you anything about viability and build-ability of land.. you need to hire engineers and surveyors to do soil test and run sample.
If you’re bidding on a house..you need inspectors to check these unless you’re a big investor with $1m war chest.

GIS doesnt tell you anything about easement on any land. If you buy a property without inspection.. and there is some easement on the property.. you gonna need a lot lawyers and pay a lot of $$$ to try reclaiming your property.
How can you do all these with Naija passport without US/Canadia visa??

I am not seeking investors to give me money. I adore my privacy a lot.

You have no business with building or doing soil test. You just buy in viable areas and flip it immediately. Its another ball game when you want to start refurbishing and selling. Buy as it is, and sell as it is.

Who told you GIS wont? Download "Acres" You are not reclaiming any property. You don't need a lawyer or anything to start flipping with low capital. I can get a property right now and put it back to the market same time once I lay my hands on the warranty deed.

And you do will always have some property that come in good deals that you wont mind holding for a decade. The Detroit property you talking about are deals. They are in the market and people are buying. I still saw a guy online that bought a whole street. Its real estate, chances of you losing are very slim.

How about owner finance deals where I can even flip in less than 2 months.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:57pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

You are have limited practical solutions for someone in Naija per OP. I have been on Ebay for over 20years… abegi talk wetin wey make sense.

What doesn't make sense here?

Your location does not limit you if you have an internet access. Do you know the location of those on Ebay?

Does location hinder me from buying and re uploading on Ebay?

Does Zillow have any clause about location?

Okay, Does my location stop me from selling on Amazon FBA in 3 different countries?
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 2:05pm On Oct 19, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

I am not seeking investors to give me money. I adore my privacy a lot.

You have no business with building or doing soil test. You just buy in viable areas and flip it immediately. Its another ball game when you want to start refurbishing and selling. Buy as it is, and sell as it is.

Who told you GIS wont? Download "Acres" You are not reclaiming any property. You don't need a lawyer or anything to start flipping with low capital. I can get a property right now and put it back to the market same time once I lay my hands on the warranty deed.

And you do will always have some property that come in good deals that you wont mind holding for a decade. The Detroit property you talking about are deals. They are in the market and people are buying. I still saw a guy online that bought a whole street. Its real estate, chances of you losing are very slim.

How about owner finance deals where I can even flip in less than 2 months.

You’re not based in Naija with Naija passport and address.. so your ‘ I can do it’ assertion doesn't apply.
Tell us something new and applicable to someone in Naija.

Per OP, he doesn't need to invest in an opaque US-registered company that would go out and chase all these paper-lofty and sweet deals.. Tell us how he can invest from Naija with $50k and have full control, access, transparency … and repatriation of funds is 100%z..
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 2:14pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

You’re not based in Naija with Naija passport and address.. so your ‘ I can do it’ assertion doesn't apply.
Tell us something new and applicable to someone in Naija.

Per OP, he doesn't need to invest in an opaque US-registered company that would go out and chase all these paper-lofty and sweet deals.. Tell us how he can invest from Naija with $50k and have full control, access, transparency … and repatriation of funds is 100%z..

Do you know you can open a business in the US and secure ITIN. With same EIN, you can open a bank account and get into many business dealings. Right from Nigeria?

https://www.zenbusiness.com/
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by Orlatunday11(m): 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2023
I will advise you grow your business
Build house with out affecting your business.

House is an asset while car is a liability
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by Mday0194: 3:45pm On Oct 19, 2023
Learn crypto trading and earn in dollars
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 3:49pm On Oct 19, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

Do you know you can open a business in the US and secure ITIN. With same ITIN, you can open a bank account and get into many business dealings. Right from Nigeria?

https://www.zenbusiness.com/

Story.. business account opening with Naija passport, without being physically present .. is like going to heaven alive.
KYC and Compliance dept wont even have time for you… lol.

US or Naija address? Lol
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by syntekelite(m): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

Treasury bond roi is is 8-11% while inflation is above 20%… he will be still lose. Liquidity in Naija attracts so many beggars, families and friends needing help.

Nope treasury bill is diff from bond.. bond is 11.5% as at last 2months and its 2-3years duration treasury is 9% and its 1year...bond is better cos its a fixed roi no losing cos his interest will be paid quarterly, the interest is what he can use to sustain the beggars u worried about while his capital is intact till he makes more money to buy and build a house instantly when ready...

1 Like

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2023
BigIyanga:

Story.. business account opening with Naija passport, without being physically present .. is like going to heaven alive.
KYC and Compliance dept wont even have time for you… lol.

US or Naija address? Lol

I don't like when you argue blindly without doing research.

Did you go through the link I sent you? Your business address will be created inclusive.

You are not mandated to use Zen, Many reputable ones exist.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by MOVIC6: 7:21am On Oct 20, 2023
Is car an investment...?
CoronaVirusPro:

Does that still demand him at his age to go tie down an investment that wont yield nothing till after 15-20 years?

That's bad investment!

Its a crude mentality amongst many who want to attain the "SOCIAL STATUS" that "I own a house"

Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
MOVIC6:
Is car an investment...?

Car is not an investment, but depending on your playing field, it can be a necessity.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

I don't like when you argue blindly without doing research.

Did you go through the link I sent you? Your business address will be created inclusive.

You are not mandated to use Zen, Many reputable ones exist.

Sory. So a stranger -3rd party opens a biz account with their US.. address and phone number. So how does the Naija dude do transaction and authentication with his Naija phone?
How does he do payment , wire transfer, zelle etc from Naija with naija Passport and phone? How does he move funds back to Naija if need be?
Have you owned a biz account in US and operated it from Naija.. your answer is NOPE… yet you would advise someone who lives in Naija with Naija Passport, with $50k-$100k to do it.

Offering some textbook advice customized for Otedo$$s and Adelekes with dual citizenship … to a hustling dude in Naija with $50k-$100k to invest .. is not the way to go.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by BigIyanga: 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2023
syntekelite:

Nope treasury bill is diff from bond.. bond is 11.5% as at last 2months and its 2-3years duration treasury is 9% and its 1year...bond is better cos its a fixed roi no losing cos his interest will be paid quarterly, the interest is what he can use to sustain the beggars u worried about while his capital is intact till he makes more money to buy and build a house instantly when ready...
But 11.5% annual rate for 2-3yrs…would compound to like 23%… while inflation rate is above 20% annually.. so in 2yrs… inflation would have eaten your capital by 35-40%?

I would consider Eurobond bond or Fixed Dollar investment account…Per GTB, their minimum is $200k with interest of 3.25% in 180 days.
Re: Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? by CoronaVirusPro: 1:54pm On Oct 20, 2023
BigIyanga:

Sory. So a stranger -3rd party opens a biz account with their US.. address and phone number. So how does the Naija dude do transaction and authentication with his Naija phone?
How does he do payment , wire transfer, zelle etc from Naija with naija Passport and phone? How does he move funds back to Naija if need be?
Have you owned a biz account in US and operated it from Naija.. your answer is NOPE… yet you would advise someone who lives in Naija with Naija Passport, with $50k-$100k to do it.

Offering some textbook advice customized for Otedo$$s and Adelekes with dual citizenship … hustling dude in Naija with $50k-$100k to invest .. is not the way to go.

That site I sent to you says it all. I am sure you did not go through it.

Your business address is managed by same 3rd party company. Your registration will be done and you would have access to banking and any other access an American will enjoy.

You can buy properties with ITIN in business name. Your tax documents and mails will always be forwarded to your business address which the company manages.

You are not present in the US, but a registered business owner.

That’s one of the loopholes illegal immigrants use to start businesses.

Read more about it. It’s not something hidden. Several reputable companies do it at a cost.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Is Your Next Of Kin? / Any Man That Can't Provide The Basic Need For His Family Is Highly Irresponsible / Can You Share A Toothbrush With Your Lover? Let's Have Your Views.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.