Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola (6319 Views)

Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun / Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million / Renaming FUTA After Shagari Global Embarrassment, Alumni Tell Afe Babalola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Kuginzi: 8:26am On Oct 22, 2023
By Nosakhale Akhimien

The founder of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD), Afe Babalola, believes politics has become the only lucrative business in Nigeria.

The legal icon spoke during the 11th convocation ceremony of Afe Babalola University on Saturday, lamenting that education is gradually being relegated to the background with politics taking centre stage.

The ABUAD founder recounted his experience with a first-class graduate who turned down further education after a master’s degree because he saw a secondary school colleague who didn’t go to a higher institution achieve material success in politics.

"I was the Pro-Chancellor of the University of Lagos and a young man came out with first class in Chemistry and had the highest score that year. I called him and said, ‘I am going to give you a scholarship to do your master’s.

“He was very happy and he agreed; he passed his masters. I had forgotten all about him, then he came in and said, ‘Sir, thank you for the scholarship given to me’ and I said ‘Yes, proceed to your Ph.D.’ and he said ‘No’ and I said ‘Why?’

"He said, ‘My colleague who was in class with me in secondary school did not go to university; he is the chairman of the local government of my place. He is riding a car; he has a house.’ I was depressed.

“I said, ‘What do you want to do now?’ He said, ‘I want to go into politics.’ I wept inside me. That is what your country has made of Nigeria. The only business in this country today which is lucrative is politics,” Babalola said.

He said that while he does not disapprove of any political ambitions, he believes that politics has become less ethical and more of personal gain than about serving the public good.

“I do not say you cannot be a politician but to be a politician is different from what we have now. Who thinks that politics is for making money? Politics is for service,” the legal icon added.

“I was a Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor before and I never had a kobo because I saw it as service. People go now to make money from public money given to them.”

According to him, the nation lacks strong leadership and high-quality education.

“Our problem in this country is leadership in Africa. People believe that when they come out of university, they should go and work or alternatively, go into politics,” he said.

“What we need in this country is quality education. When you have quality education, you have power and when you have power, every other thing submerges,” Afe Babalola said.
https://www.channelstv.com/2023/10/21/politics-is-the-only-lucrative-business-in-nigeria-says-afe-babalola/

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Danegun777: 8:28am On Oct 22, 2023
cool

Are Afe Babalola made all he has today representing FG as Public Notary , International Lawyer

Only God knows the deal Obasanjo and Afe Babalola made with Cameroun to trade off Bakassi Peninsula

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Rostikol: 8:32am On Oct 22, 2023
Nigerians and careless statements.

So all the millions of mansions and exotic cars across the country are owned by politicians. No business people, no professionals. Just politicians.

A legal mind of his stature making such a careless remark is unbecoming.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by yinkus6750(m): 8:35am On Oct 22, 2023
Cos of corruption .
People go into politics for selfish interest and not to serve the people..
Their welfare supercedes that of the masses.
It's so unfortunate.

11 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:03am On Oct 22, 2023
Yes of course that's why they are are killing themselves because of huge amount of money they are getting from it.
They are refers to as Ojelu

7 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Wealthoptulent(m): 5:52pm On Oct 22, 2023
markannan:
So afe babalola Is still alive
He c
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by YorubaPrince: 5:53pm On Oct 22, 2023
Very true... grin

In a nation where evil and corruption thrives, a nation where murderers like Tinubu are adulated and celebrated, a nation where criminals are considered as being politically savvy. undecided

A nation where thugs like Freestuffsng kills on behalf of Tinubu and his fellow criminals. undecided

23 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Komu1048(m): 5:54pm On Oct 22, 2023
Hmmm, just know how to lie n defend lies in this country n watch how u turn billionaire in no distance time

2 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by CoronaVirusPro: 5:55pm On Oct 22, 2023
Facts!
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Badonasty(m): 5:56pm On Oct 22, 2023
lol…the thing is Nigerian government is too monetized…why should our senators be collecting salaries/allowances than the United States president

3 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by dhope: 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2023
Rostikol:

So all the millions of mansions and exotic cars across the country are owned by politicians. No business people, no professionals. Just politicians.

What is careless in what he said? If anti-graft agencies in Nigeria are as potent as they should, majority of those who you're referring to would be cooling their feet behind bars and lose the properties ure seeing that were illegally acquired due to affiliation to politicians or made through illegal political connection. Dangote is their father/role model, you will tell us he is not a politician but we know how it goes. Nigerians are their own problems because they lack the basic education Afe Babalola was referring to.

14 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Lanre1st(m): 5:59pm On Oct 22, 2023
True talk or let say Bitter truth

Many successful business around you see try to tie their self to politicians, even multinational companies. Even no economy policy work in this country, we can point to Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, BUA but the truth is none of them make the stride without political backing.
Even to get employed, if you manage to be employed with your brilliance it remains how to climb the organizational ladder to the top. I remember a 24 years fresh graduate made chairman of Road maintenance agency, many experienced with higher certificate can not attain the post without politics. Or do you think VC, Minister, INEC chairman, Directors, are selected base on their performance alone? Politics are involved

1 Like

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by kareemkamil(m): 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2023
Ask him how did he make huge amount of money he used to build his University. Through corruption & politics.

3 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Lanre1st(m): 6:03pm On Oct 22, 2023
Rostikol:

No large scale business you can do in Nigeria can last 5years without having backing of politicians. Do you think Dangote are making it because he Master business rules? Even as a lecturer you can not become HOD without being in poliitics

6 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by ogub(m): 6:06pm On Oct 22, 2023
it's well
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by anungangampu: 6:07pm On Oct 22, 2023
The sad truth in Southwest not in South East though, We believe Businesses still thrive only with dogged experience.

1 Like

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Blitzking: 6:12pm On Oct 22, 2023
Just win one small political post in your community and watch millions flow into ur acct. Not joke..dem go
con do wooden bridge...sink borehole or well Or buy grinding machines and sewing machine...motorcycles and keke napep call am empowerment and loot the treasury dry...use the poor masses for photo ops..GOD PURNISH POVERTY.

2 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by LordIsaac(m): 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2023
What then is the percentage of people in politics vis-a-vis those that have “made it”?
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Olawade24: 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2023
Travel Blog for sale!!!
Details of the blog as follows:
6 months old
.com domain
About 80 post
Hosted on blogger
Below is the analytics

Whatsap - 070-190-88-242

Note: Reason for selling is that I have a big project am handling and I just want to relieve myself of some of my niche blogs to reduce my work load

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by wunmi590(m): 6:16pm On Oct 22, 2023

I said it, alot of people are now delving into politics, just to cashout from government money..

90% of Nigerian politicians are only there to infrastructure their pocket, family and generations yet unborn
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Guyman01: 6:18pm On Oct 22, 2023
He is right, you can't get a contract even in civil service without being recommended by a politician who nominated the DG or Perm Sec or Minister or Governor. The average civil servant will even ask you 'who is your political godfather'? before the will look into your tender documents

1 Like

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Rostikol: 6:40pm On Oct 22, 2023
dhope:

What is careless in what he said? If anti-graft agents in Nigeria are as potent as they should, majority of those who you're referring to would be cooling their feet behind bars and lose the properties ure seeing that were illegally acquired due to affiliation to politicians or made through illegal political connection. Dangote is their father/role model, you will tell us he is not a politician but we know how it goes. Nigerians are their own problems because they lack the basic education Afe Babalola was referring to.

YOU ARE TALKING RUBBISH.

HOW MANY RICH POLITICIANS ARE THERE IN NIGERIA?

ARE THEY EVEN UP TO 2,000?

YOU PEOPLE LACK STATISTICAL SENSE.

THIS COUNTRY OF 220 MILLION PEOPLE IS FILLED WITH TENS OF MILLIONS OF PROSPEROUS PEOPLE.

99% OF THEM ARE NOT POLITICIANS AND HAVE NO CONNECTION TO POLITICIANS.

FACT.

SO ANYONE THAT SAYS “POLITICS IS THE ONLY PROFITABLE BUSINESS IN NIGERIA” IS AN ILLITERATE TALKING RUBBISH.

14 Likes

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by LAXconfidential(m): 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
Yes of course that's why they are are killing themselves because of huge amount of money they are getting from it.
They are refers to as Ojelu
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by LAXconfidential(m): 6:51pm On Oct 22, 2023
Rostikol:

YOU ARE TALKING RUBBISH.

THIS COUNTRY OF 220 MILLION PEOPLE IS FILLED WITH TENS OF MILLIONS OF PROSPEROUS PEOPLE.

FACT.

SO ANYONE THAT SAYS “POLITICS IS THE ONLY PROFITABLE BUSINESS IN NIGERIA” IS AN ILLITERATE TALKING RUBBISH.

Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Keaton(m): 6:52pm On Oct 22, 2023
wunmi590:

I said it, alot of people are now delving into politics, just to cashout from government money..

90% of Nigerian politicians are only there to infrastructure their pocket, family and generations yet unborn
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Keaton(m): 6:53pm On Oct 22, 2023
Blitzking:
Just win one small political post in your community and watch millions flow into ur acct. Not joke..dem go
con do wooden bridge...sink borehole or well Or buy grinding machines and sewing machine...motorcycles and keke napep call am empowerment and loot the treasury dry...use the poor masses for photo ops..GOD PURNISH POVERTY.
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by Keaton(m): 6:53pm On Oct 22, 2023
wunmi590:

Lanre1st:
True talk or let say Bitter truth

Many successful business around you see try to tie their self to politicians, even multinational companies. Even no economy policy work in this country, we can point to Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, BUA but the truth is none of them make the stride without political backing.
Even to get employed, if you manage to be employed without you brilliance it remains how to climb the organizational ladder to the top. I remember a 24 years fresh graduate made chairman of Road maintenance agency, many experienced with higher certificate can not attain the post without politi s. Or do you think VC, Minister, INEC chairman, Directors, are selected base on their performance alone? Politics are involved
Re: Politics Is The Only Lucrative Business In Nigeria, Says Afe Babalola by LAXconfidential(m): 6:54pm On Oct 22, 2023
Rostikol:

YOU ARE TALKING RUBBISH.

FACT.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Politics And Religion / Best Political Analyst On Nairaland / Rivers APC Opposes N9bn Loan For Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.