Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,912 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING (92865 Views)

Should I Japa Or Stay / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / Fantastic: My First Snow Experience In Europe 2020 (photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Exceed15: 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
You just entered one month and already complaining. Keep calm. It takes time to get jobs in a new country. It took a friend 8 months to get a job in the US and that's a country with jobs flowing everywhere.

Even 8 months sef no easy ... How has he been coping?
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by lymelyte(m): 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

True but it's not a must to go to the UK. Well there's really no equivalent. Canada is more expensive likewise Australia grin grin. It seems as time goes on Nigeria will be the largest human prison on earth
cheesy
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by heavensown: 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2023
@OP Where in the UK are you based? Some locations can be a bit difficult but if you're around the London area, there's usually lots of jobs. My advise - you and especially your spouse (I assume she is the dependent) need to physically go to job agencies, shops in the Town Centre, restaurants etc. with your CV and tell them you're seeking a job. That's usually quicker than applying online. Try that and don't give up. You'll get one soon. Your spouse needs to do that on a daily basis

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by LEGALSER: 8:00pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:
my dream was that immediately I came over, i and my dependant will search for jobs.. work and pay bill. but that is not feasible as I am seeing it.

i started this process with 15 million naira then when naira nose dive i had to borrowed extra 15 million to top it with interest of almost 2 million naira. landed in uk, started seeing the reality on ground

i have been in UK since 1 month plus. but getting a job as a migrant or new commer without UK experience is not easy.
in fact i have sent over 200 job application for cleaner, care assistant etc but all came with a sorry we have moved on to the next stage or you don't have uk experience.

school fees has to be paid. everyone here in tight corner... school has sent mail threatening to report to the immigration if school fees is not paid in the next few weeks to most Nigerians here.

no job, house rent is expensive.. going for 450 to 600 pounds per month.

travelling through student route is not really easy because you have to balance between work and school.. 'even at that where is the job as a new migrant.

Please if you are considering coming to UK for now.. please put on hold. the crowd from Indians, Pakistani, Malaysia, china etc is overwhelming.

it's not worth selling your home to be here.

i sleep in indeed and all this job site.. still yet nothing, bills mounting up.

all my colleague i came with are still with no jobs in other cities

after spending 13 million coming here with extra 3k dollars now almost exhausted chai

if u know you don't have full school fees, house rent for 12 months, upkeep.... running to 35m to 40m please stay back... stay back or apply through skill route.

edited with more info.

Lolzzzzzzz.
Ask questions, network and don’t be a loner.
Let me address some issues you raised here:

JOB
Once you arrive UK, you need to adjust your CV to fit standards, no carry naija cv format say you wan apply for work for UK, you’ll be bounced. Adjust your CV to fit the role you are applying for, have a separate cv for care, have one for warehouse, have one for cleaner etc. There are jobs in the UK but what matters is your location and how you are able to search, there are lots of sites beyond indeed, contact agencies and if possible visit those agencies that you can, not all those as most require appointments, ask fellow students and be ready to feel uncomfortable at first. It also important you try jobs within your location, no go apply for job wey require private transport when you no get car. Get your NI and where applicable DBS also.

RENT
This depends on the city you live and as someone that’s relocating I believe this should be one of the major factors to be considered by you. There are cities you can get accommodation below 450 and it depends on your taste as well.

UK no be country wey you go plan to do big man, E go weigh you.

Las Las, you go Dey all right.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Flesh10: 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2023
Resisting pressure from my family to join the japa wave is my biggest win in 2023.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by CaptainFM1: 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2023
Zonefree:
Noted.

So, when are you booking your next flight back to our beloved Nigeria?

You asked the most important question bro.

If not for stupidity, why spending 30million just to Japa to a country that you and your generation will forever be regarded as 4th class citizen?

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Baaluku(m): 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2023
Oga calm down, don't be deceived or allow yourself to deceive those that want to japaaaa to the UK.
It's always like that when you first come in bro. Again, depending on the part of UK you are in.
Packaging your CV for indeed/total jobs is also important.
After a few weeks or months, depending on your luck, you won't remember all these stress or stories anymore.
I came here in February, I had £11k balance to pay the school. Bro, I can say authoritatively that I just paid the last batch last week without borrowing a dime.
So, calm down, create reasonable relationship with people here, gather useful information and be prayerful, everything go turn story sooner or later.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by thatigboman: 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2023
Op, I feel for you. Seems u didn't make possible arrangements before leaving. My colleagues that left for UK, Australia, US and Canada first went there, secured employment before resigning and moving.
I know of one whose husband first left for UK and later invited them and they moved - the wife and children. After 6 months, that lady, my friend got job in GTB London. When I went to London in 2010, she even took me out for lunch.
In that same 2010 in London, I met my coursemate, he say he's coming back, say tax too much in UK. Funny enough I went to London last year and still saw him, he's still there. Didn't talk of coming back again.
So take it easy. 1 month is not enough to judge a country.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Eriokanmi: 8:05pm On Nov 01, 2023
Wujio:

God bless you for this transparent feedback. Deeply appreciated. I am currently in the mongroves in the hinterlands in Nigeria. Whenever i am broke, i can get tomatoes, fufu, cassava, garri all on credit with cash and plenty of kindness to go with it. Ill appreciate my bliss.
FFO grin
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by soccerlite: 8:05pm On Nov 01, 2023
Pray harder

After borrowing that much and selling your property and spent only 1 month, you intend coming back in November 🙄

If your story is true Sha

Hahaha

Ogun aiye re
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Eriokanmi: 8:05pm On Nov 01, 2023
Now, I'm vindicated! Gbam!
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by ghettochild(m): 8:05pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:

hmmmm yes every job has to be through application or reference.. can you refer me to any?

even if na to pack shit i will at this point
Well there's something here in south africa like naija Alabaru u see at the markets....
Na trolley those guys dey push..helping people take their grocery to their cars or to the taxi rank( garage)
If u can come up with something like that.. u go survive ooo
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Eriokanmi: 8:06pm On Nov 01, 2023
soccerlite:

Pray harder

After borrowing that much and selling your property, you intend coming back in November

Hahaha

Ogun aiye re
O lagbara. Meanwhile, Chinese wouldn't stop thronging Nigeria cos they're seeing what we're not seeing

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by CodeTemplar: 8:10pm On Nov 01, 2023
Zonefree:
Noted.

So, when are you booking your next flight back to our beloved Nigeria?
very immature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by NaijaCover(m): 8:11pm On Nov 01, 2023
Nawa o
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by tunjijones(m): 8:12pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:

if nothing comes up by November then i will give up, withdraw and return.

You sef know say you dey play... Return to what?

Except you are from a rich family and if you are you no go japa.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by maridrug(m): 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2023
Kachidubem:

Can they come back to nigeria and miss classes for one month plus ?

By the way, nobody asked you if you've got kids in UK uni... who cares
Disrespectful rat

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Konjiboi: 8:14pm On Nov 01, 2023
join nsppd on youtube by pst jerry Eze monday to fridy by 7am NIG Time: job go de pursue u na u go de confuse which wan to chooz
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by nony43(m): 8:15pm On Nov 01, 2023
Wujio:
Visit Craiglist United Kingdom. I bet you you would see more than 100 jobs. You wont get jobs on Indeed and the likes. Go to Craiglist and youll see tons of offers. I know this first hand cost i made loads if cash of this site thru the vast opportunities on it

Is it an app? I can’t find it on Apple Store.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by OlawaleBammie: 8:15pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:
m

can you boast of 25 million?

about 98% never had that full fees..
i have never seen any that have it.

if they have it not up to 50 Nigerians will travel for school abroad. but ask your self why over 58k Nigerians left last year and over 100k left this year.. are Nigerians that rich?

just type POF service on Google, twitter or Facebook and see what i mean.

it was an advice from Nigerians over here that made me take this costly journey.

i am here to warn others not to listen.
but with 15m u should be a king in Nigeria...

Imagine me wasting my money for one unnecessary paper..my hard earned money ooh, God forbids

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Enemyofpeace: 8:16pm On Nov 01, 2023
God no allow my village people to follow me travel o.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by pendragonbladgo(m): 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2023
My friend have stayed 2years but bitterly complaining.....

I realise that life is not really easy!
Every country have its own challenge....

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Saidfx(m): 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2023
grin grin grin
justwise:

You got the visa because you presented bank statement showing that you have all your school fees and maintenance money.

So where is that money?
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Enemyofpeace: 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:
m

if they have it not up to 50 Nigerians will travel for school abroad. but ask your self why over 58k Nigerians left last year and over 100k left this year.. are Nigerians that rich?

it was an advice from Nigerians over here that made me take this costly journey.

come back home now
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Calitoscassius(m): 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:
my dream was that immediately I came over, i and my dependant will search for jobs.. work and pay bill. but that is not feasible as I am seeing it.

i started this process with 15 million naira then when naira nose dive i had to borrowed extra 15 million to top it with interest of almost 2 million naira. landed in uk, started seeing the reality on ground

i have been in UK since 1 month plus. but getting a job as a migrant or new commer without UK experience is not easy.
in fact i have sent over 200 job application for cleaner, care assistant etc but all came with a sorry we have moved on to the next stage or you don't have uk experience.

school fees has to be paid. everyone here in tight corner... school has sent mail threatening to report to the immigration if school fees is not paid in the next few weeks to most Nigerians here.

travelling through student route is not really easy because you have to balance between work and school.. 'even at that where is the job as a new migrant.

Please if you are considering coming to UK for now.. please put on hold. the crowd from Indians, Pakistani, Malaysia, china etc is overwhelming.

after spending 13 million coming here with extra 3k dollars now almost exhausted chai

if u know you don't have full school fees, house rent for 12 months, upkeep.... running to 35m to 40m please stay back... stay back or apply through skill route.

edited with more info.
come on man!, cheesy why ya go searching for. obs on indeed? grin 200 jobs? You applied for? Including cleaning job? I don't believe it, you gota be telling porkies.

Look! You don't go looking for jobs online, go register with an agency near you, call them daily to see if they have any jobs, tust me, in a week's time you d be working. Another way of finding jobs is walking into the company or firm you you would lik to work for and asking if there are any vacancies.

35million to 40 million and guessing in naira you spent? to come UK? Man! Isn't that like £35000? with £35k Man would relocate to Namibia, Cape Verde, Kenya or Gambia and live lika king!

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by adeblow(m): 8:18pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:

edited with more info.
Depends on what u do. I came to England 26th of September, 2023, I am an IT person, saw a computer warehouse where they recycle computers in my neighborhood in Birmingham and walked into it to notify them I was available for jobs. They asked of If I could fix Computers and tested me for 3 days. And I passed. I've received my first salary for 40.8hours which is about £462 thereabouts. I've also downloaded nextdoor app to notify neighbors that I fix Computers, I got a message from a primary school teacher to format her PC and fix RAM. I made £75 from that. Just bought a bike from facebook marketplace to aid my movement. I'm walking into a local pizza delivery shop to notify of my availability for deliveries on weekends.
Japa isn't for everyone. U need skills to survive.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Enemyofpeace: 8:18pm On Nov 01, 2023
justwise:

You got the visa because you presented bank statement showing that you have all your school fees and maintenance money.

So where is that money?
justwise making life difficult for japarians
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by pendragonbladgo(m): 8:19pm On Nov 01, 2023
With 15milliom you could start an agro business or go into transport in Nigeria....

Or be supplying pepper from North to any part of South!
You want to go to UK
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by stagger: 8:19pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:

and i have 12 months to complete a programme. i have over 9000 pounds to pay as school fees.

the 3000 dollars i came with is almost exhausted. on expenses trying to settle in

school on my neck

i have a friend in Middlesbrough whose school wants to throw out this month end if he didn't pay some percentage of fees by month end

You bit the fruit. Now you have to endure the taste.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by maasoap(m): 8:20pm On Nov 01, 2023
Ahmed0336:
Observation duly noted.
Many peeps just want to leave the country by any means necessary due to one reason or another. You gotta respect their decisions.

It is mostly to go and hustle, 99% of japa is about job and greener pastures, don't deceive yourself. And you have forgotten that Op you're addressing was among the people you're talking about whose decisions should be respected grin grin grin
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by sketcherJ(m): 8:21pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:
m

boss thank you, don’t mind those sanctimonious lots, as if they don’t know what’s going on.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Slawal23: 8:21pm On Nov 01, 2023
fullclub:
landlord are refusing to give out their houses to student.. especially to family couples.
they require you to make 6 months upfront or come with a uk guarantor
this is my observation

imagine paying 5m for house rent after spending all your money in nigeria.

You just come but just calm down. No be only Waka come bro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (35) (Reply)

Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos) / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. / Dead Bodies From The Helicopter Crash In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.