Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING (92654 Views)

Should I Japa Or Stay / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / Fantastic: My First Snow Experience In Europe 2020 (photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Progressivegee: 7:07am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

this is not Nigerians. jobs are advertisd it's their way or law. unless u have someone who referred u.
u can't just stop person anyhow, walk into offices anyhow. they might call it harassment and get u reported to the government.

the slightest thing they have reported u.. with out u knowing.

I live in the UK and I am talking from experience. Go on Google, let's say you live in Chichester, type recruitment agencies in Chichester. You will see a list of recruitment agencies, call their number and tell them the type of job you want and that you want to start immediately. You are sure to get a job to start same day or few days later at most.

Do this and thank me later. Follow who know road, you no go lost or find it hard in the Uk

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Progressivegee: 7:08am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

this is not Nigerians. jobs are advertisd it's their way or law. unless u have someone who referred u.
u can't just stop person anyhow, walk into offices anyhow. they might call it harassment and get u reported to the government.

the slightest thing they have reported u.. with out u knowing.

I live in the UK and I am talking from experience. Go on Google, let's say you live in Chichester, type recruitment agencies in Chichester. You will see a list of recruitment agencies, call their number and tell them the type of job you want and that you want to start immediately. You are sure to get a job to start same day or few days later at most.

Do this and thank me later. Follow who know road, you no go lost or find it hard in the Uk

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by jedisco(m): 7:13am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

i won't suffer greatly. i have houses in different cities already in Nigeria. still running business bringing 1m. bur converting this money into pounds pays only rent

doing extremely well.
bought those properties by the grace of God. but disposing any more properties now? i can't.

A friend wanted to start same journey last week. but i told him honest opinion to back down.... give him detailed analysis all i have gone through.

so coming here is to warn Nigerians not to embark again... its no longer promising as before

Look at the bigger picture. Your dependent could look for work in other cities or counties with no universities. Apply widely. Next year, students would not be able to come with dependents hence pressure could be less.

In the longterm, once you or dependent get a job, you'd build from there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by online4business: 7:17am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

well like i said Nigerians don't welcome review that tellls how it is here in UK.

i am a data analyst, a coder, and well known writer here on nairaland with my other username.
my next flat neighbour who is a registered nurse, BSC, RN, Midwifery. have been applying for almost 2 months now. they came before me.
last week she got a place for interview where she got over 75%pass mark above everyone but they decline her saying her uk experience and inability to communicate in uk way.

I repeat if u don't have UK experience no one will call you for jobs.

i made research, asked a number of persons how they fund it. most even came in January last year with 5m.. but that was then not this year especially this year. they gave the clue, i started the process with 15 million naira... when naira nose dived, i had no option than to get extra 15m as loan with almost 2m interest.... Little did i know it like waking into a trap.

Agencies are full, its like when UK announced that they are stopping dependant stuff.. the mad rush from Chinese, Indians etc.
If you're a writer at least by now you know Upwork and LinkedIn.

You're already in the UK great advantage why are you not writing and making the dough.

Maybe you didn't think about it like that UK and USA account get gigs quicker while with Nigeria account it's your skillset.

People who knows how to write don't look for Jobs, na jobs dey pursue them. that's an aside sha.

Don't relent at least you don come you done come.

Get into SEO signals lab and website flip facebook group introduce yourself and say you're a writer.

Don't go and do it because you're desperate for funds ooh.

and if truly you can write Money go dey purse you.

I no dey talk make e sweet ooo i practice anything I preach.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Maxxim: 7:18am On Oct 26, 2023
Progressivegee:

His reply will still be the same

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 7:18am On Oct 26, 2023
jedisco:

Look at the bigger picture. Your dependent could look for work in other cities or counties with no universities. Apply widely. Next year, students would not be able to come with dependents hence pressure could be less.

In the longterm, once you or dependent get a job, you'd build from there.

Any job off 3 hours is no job. unless i will have to pay for rent in two places one for her n one for my self.
anything 3 hours will cost u more. like from London to my area is 30 pounds, going n coming but within 2 hours u got far less.
its seems states buses are cheap n subsidised to allow workers move to work anywhere but outside city are very expensive.

Although i have started looking for far away cities. yet non.

the warehouse job someone a Nigerian share contact was 5 hours away. spending 50 pounds on transport is not feasible

9 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Datakey: 7:20am On Oct 26, 2023
Which city are you in?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Gerrard59(m): 7:21am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

you have wealthy parents.. u have no issues... upper class.

talking about those.. lower class that even provide for their parents and also working day n night to remove poverty from their families.

My parents, upper middle class? grin grin Abeg o!

My parents just re-strategised when Buhari got elected in 2015. My dad stated it clearly then: "Buhari has always been incompetent. He would render the economy useless. We better get prepared".

You did not refute the claim that you did not completely pay a semester's tuition fees. If true, then you no try. That should have been sorted.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 7:26am On Oct 26, 2023
Progressivegee:

you didn't see the UK experience i talked about? are u in UK.

well i have don the above severally still waiting. the few i talked to are demanding for 150 pounds or more and i have spent almost 600 pounds already.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Gerrard59(m): 7:27am On Oct 26, 2023
signature2012:
This guy is sharing his true life story so others won't fall victim.Many of you are still blaming him.

What's the % of Nigerians that can afford to pay full Tuition before they travel for studies?

Where I currently reside, not in UK, come and see lots of International students seeking for job daily.

Sincerely, if Nigeria was just a little good, why will they come here to study?
Someone is blaming the OP why he did not invest the 13m in Nigeria. Tell me one single business that's worth investing in that Country

Dear Op, dont give up!Dont come back!In few years time, you will come back to this thread and just laugh when things have finally turn around.

To be fair, there are multiple businesses worth investing in, just that investors should not go into processing or production without a strong financial war chest.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Gerrard59(m): 7:31am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

which entry jobs.. be specific. even sweeping, washing of plates in kitchen, washing toilet.. they ask of UK experience, probably its what the government tells them.

I know you are exaggerating, but I find that both laughable and pitiful. UK experience to wash toilet?! shocked

those that came in last year . said they got jobs after few trials due to extreme shortages due to Britain exit from EU but now job are scarce thats why they are now selecting based on experience cos it cost them much to retain u.

There are Indians, Pakistani, Malaysians, chinese, Bangladesh name all those Asia countries more than the entirety of blacks...
in school u count this people 100 before u see a black man

Just a random observation, one always sees black people in UK adverts or exhibitions, yet the black population is largely infinitesimal compared to those in the bold. Black people no too dey that country as peddled by what I see on the media.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 7:32am On Oct 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

My parents, upper middle class? grin grin Abeg o!

My parents just re-strategised when Buhari got elected in 2015. My dad stated it clearly then: "Buhari has always been incompetent. He would render the economy useless. We better get prepared".

You did not refute the claim that you did not completely pay a semester's tuition fees. If true, then you no try. That should have been sorted.

i haven't paid i only paid 6.7million naira as deposit fee then used rest to start processing visa and flight, etc

like i said if ur parents could fund your fees 100%, fund ur accommodation, living expenses even in Buhari tenure they are wealthy and u should thank them very well.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by jedisco(m): 7:32am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

Any job off 3 hours is no job. unless i will have to pay for rent in two places one for her n one for my self.
anything 3 hours will cost u more. like from London to my area is 30 pounds, going n coming but within 2 hours u got far less.
its seems states buses are cheap n subsidised to allow workers move to work anywhere but outside city are very expensive.

Although i have started looking for far away cities. yet non.

the warehouse job someone a Nigerian share contact was 5 hours away. spending 50 pounds on transport is not feasible

There are thousands of students + dependents looking for jobs around universities. How do you leverage yourself?

I know someone who got over 5 job invites within 2-3 weeks of applying on Indeed and that was even before stepping foot in the UK. There are opportunities, look for them.
Tailor your CV and cover letter. There are new AI tools that could help. Many of the things we put on our CV back home e.g sex, marital status, primary education are largely irrelevant here and make it look clunky

If your partner gets a fulltime job elsewhere, they can move there even if it means paying another rent. In the end, you'd be at least 1k better off as a family.

11 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 7:33am On Oct 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

I know you are exaggerating, but I find that both laughable and pitiful. UK experience to wash toilet?! shocked

Just a random observation, one always sees black people in UK adverts or exhibitions, yet the black population is largely infinitesimal compared to those in the bold. Black people no too dey that country as peddled by what I see on the media.

Since 4am i de job site... yesterday i slep 11:30pm to 12 midnight...

i de apply for kitchen, Washing of pots, sweeping etc. yet ti get response though.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Gerrard59(m): 7:37am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

i haven't paid i only paid 6.7million naira as deposit fee then used rest to start processing visa and flight, etc

like i said if ur parents could fund your fees 100%, fund ur accommodation, living expenses even in Buhari tenure they are wealthy and u should thank them very well.

Thank you for the compliments. I am curious though, no scholarships or scholarship stipend from the school or tuition waiver?

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by YoungBlackRico(m): 7:42am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

you know what.. giving honest opinion based on abroad is not welcome by Nigerians.

this is why most students when i talk about returning they said they rather die here sleeping in library.

we where 19 people September in Lagos airport coming to London on student route and we shared contact... they are on same boat...no show... non paid their complete fees.. i would have come back but hearing their complain about shame of what Nigerians not hearing their storey.

check the students page ane see people saying they have paid deposit. why didn't they pay full?
No point arguing, you've played your part.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 7:43am On Oct 26, 2023
jedisco:

There are thousands of students + dependents looking for jobs around universities. How do you leverage yourself?

I know someone who got over 5 job invites within 2-3 weeks of applying and that was even before stepping foot in the UK. There are opportunities, look for them. Tailor your CV and cover letter. There are new AI tools that could help. Many of the things we put on our CV back home e.g sex, marital status, primary education are largely irrelevant here and make it look clunky

If your partner gets a fulltime job elsewhere, they can move there even if it means paying another rent. In the end, you'd be at least 1k better off as a family.

well i have to collect CV from those who came editing it with my info.

i know someone who got over 5 job invites within 2-3 weeks... this statement landed me here today.

I am talking of today.. not last year. this September to October.
not only me in this shoe. we have WhatsApp group where people are looking for job everywhere dry.

talk about yourself... first hand experience not others.

the house u talked about. its not like Nigeria. they require u to get a job first before they rent house to u. 80% of landlord will demand for payslip, UK landowner etc. even if u like have 12 month upfront payment once u don't have a job that covers 2 or 3 times rent they wont rent it.
i manage to get this place from a Nigerian, who had pity on my predicament.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by hotplate: 7:51am On Oct 26, 2023
Omo I feel so sorry for your current situation, I don't know what the best advice I can give as I never even cross Nigeria border.. But I'd say you should be resilient, hold on a little, don't come back to Nigeria everything go dey alright na so he dey always be for the start.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Wujio: 7:57am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

well i have to collect CV from those who came editing it with my info.

i know someone who got over 5 job invites within 2-3 weeks... this statement landed me here today.

I am talking of today.. not last year. this September to October.
not only me in this shoe. we have WhatsApp group where people are looking for job everywhere dry.

talk about yourself... first hand experience not others.

the house u talked about. its not like Nigeria. they require u to get a job first before they rent house to u. 80% of landlord will demand for payslip, UK landowner etc. even if u like have 12 month upfront payment once u don't have a job that covers 2 or 3 times rent they wont rent it.
i manage to get this place from a Nigerian, who had pity on my predicament.

Lies

i know someone who got over 5 job invites within 2-3 weeks

Go and read Google reviews on jobs on indeed and co. You can send job applications for a whole year and not get a job. I sent 1,200-1,500 applications using these job sites this year and got just three invites. Ended up getting no job. I had to stop to protect my mental state.

Do us a favor. Leave Nairaland go around your community and find opportunities not Nairaland. Na wetin you want make we do for you. You no dey our country. Search your locality area by area.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by NFBI: 7:58am On Oct 26, 2023
Experience is the best teacher

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by dapotemi: 8:03am On Oct 26, 2023
Don't let anyone criticize your honest opinion and don't be afraid to share them...Nig don't like hearing anything 'negative' about abroad...They will learn in no time...
Most of our compatriots have been thoroughly deceived by social media pictures and the eldorado that agent usually promised...
For the upteenth time, abroad is not easy as it seems and I will always say it repeatedly, I cannot spend 10-15m on a journey , get there and start applying to for job that I want to wash dishes, wash toilet..I just CAN'T!!
People who have 15m in their account here do live decently..That is ME! You can't pressure me.....I have friends who left this country almost 10 years ago, we are still friends, we talk, we gist...They are fine, I am FINE!
I grew up in a family where going abroad is a regular thing and going to UK has never been anything close to making it or living decently...Be careful, be careful...

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by hotplate: 8:06am On Oct 26, 2023
Chineke! Na to rule out this UK Student route for me be that o... God of heaven, na so person go take stay trap for this naija

But how did you spend 13m yet you haven't deposited anything yet as installment for school fees?

Those people Wen dey ask about POF why Una dey act like say una nor be Nigerians... How many Nigerians go see 25m of their own in cash or assets.. OP simply did what others are doing no risk no reward if I see 10m like this self I go still risk am jakpa

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by hotplate: 8:15am On Oct 26, 2023
As I dey type so a course mate of mine just entered Manchester about a week ago, I think he said his school fees was 18k pounds but they gave him a scholarship of 3k pounds so he is to pay 15k pounds out of which he said he has paid 3k pounds to balance 11k pounds. The thing is he didn't even go with a dependent and it seems from what I have read on this thread it is almost impossible to pay 11k pounds as a student working part-time?

I be dey think of exploring this option btw now and January if I can raise 10m ... But I have someone I can put up with for like a year in terms of accommodation

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by erniok(m): 8:17am On Oct 26, 2023
flokii:

That 13 million he spent to Japa to UK would have set up something tangible in Nigeria which if managed properly can grow in a space of 5-10 years into multi-million naira investment.

We have agro processing bisinesses begging for investments yet our youths keep rushing to pay UK government and their universities millions over certificate they might end up not using.. what really is wrong with Nigerians?.
So many of you are living on the moon. Businesses are closing down everyday. So you think the agro business is as sweet as they said. My pastor invested 50m in the Agro world and he's now biting his finger. Our economy as at today is messed up.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Light78: 8:18am On Oct 26, 2023
Natbrowny:

Exactly.. Where is the money?
Probably returned to people he loaned it from
See ehn, Nigerians will not show transparency and they are going to nations that has rules.

U lied in ur bank statement just to japa. If OP is found guilty, those people won't listen to sorry..

More like borrowing 40 million from 40 people, then he presented a bank statement of 40M. They gave him visa because of that. He reach there, and start paying back the people he borrowed.

Lol.

Nigerians are something else..

If you are not clean, you will never be clean.

I will advise the OP to keep pushing hard and never give up. Once he has got a job, he will bounce back. Even the people I know that went to UK to study, their money don finish. The guy had 50M the.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by BigDawsNet: 8:20am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:
my dream was that immediately I came over, i and my dependant will search for jobs.. work and pay bill. but that is not feasible as I am seeing it.

i started this process with 15 million naira then when naira nose dive i had to borrowed extra 15 million to top it with interest of almost 2 million naira. landed in uk, started seeing the reality on ground

i have been in UK since 1 month plus. but getting a job as a migrant or new commer without UK experience is not easy.
in fact i have sent over 200 job application for cleaner, care assistant etc but all came with a sorry we have moved on to the next stage or you don't have uk experience.

school fees has to be paid. everyone here in tight corner... school has sent mail threatening to report to the immigration if school fees is not paid in the next few weeks to most Nigerians here.

no job, house rent is expensive.. going for 450 to 600 pounds per month.

travelling through student route is not really easy because you have to balance between work and school.. 'even at that where is the job as a new migrant.

Please if you are considering coming to UK for now.. please put on hold. the crowd from Indians, Pakistani, Malaysia, china etc is overwhelming.

it's not worth selling your home to be here.

i sleep in indeed and all this job site.. still yet nothing, bills mounting up.

all my colleague i came with are still with no jobs in other cities

after spending 13 million coming here with extra 3k dollars now almost exhausted chai

if u know you don't have full school fees, house rent for 12 months, upkeep.... running to 35m to 40m please stay back... stay back or apply through skill route.

edited with more info.

No1, sorry about your experiences so far... I believe things will balance off soon

No2, try other job site and don't focus on indeed alone

No3, do you have any skills atall? Specifically Tech skills? Cus dat can speed up things

No4, try and visit any construction site around you.. request to work as a labourer... I'm sure u will get one and you can make around 400 a week

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by erniok(m): 8:22am On Oct 26, 2023
Datakey:
Which city are you in?

He posted it before. Manchester.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Light78: 8:34am On Oct 26, 2023
BigDawsNet:

No1, sorry about your experiences so far... I believe things will balance off soon

No2, try other job site and don't focus on indeed alone

No3, do you have any skills atall? Specifically Tech skills? Cus dat can speed up things

No4, try and visit any construction site around you.. request to work as a labourer... I'm sure u will get one and you can make around 400 a week

UK is not like Nigeria, have you forgotten

You can't employ someone anyhow.

Your health status, place of residence, guarantor and many more would be requested.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Atk1nson(m): 8:37am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

and i have 12 months to complete a programme. i have over 9000 pounds to pay as school fees.

the 3000 dollars i came with is almost exhausted. on expenses trying to settle in

school on my neck

i have a friend in Middlesbrough whose school wants to throw out this month end if he didn't pay some percentage of fees by month end

Lack of proper planning on your side bro.

If you have done your research well, you should know lanlords will not give an economic migrant a house without a guarantor or long rent paid for obvious reasons. Mind you, it is monthly rent the lanlords themselves often use it to service their monthly mortgages. Why would they give it to someone with no job who only just arrived the country? Besides tye fact that you could damage your landlord's credit record, it's a lengthy process getting a tenant evicted, so Landlord's will rather not have a tenant that may not pay.

It appears you also came in with the mindset that there is a job offer letter waiting for you at the airport. Even when the jobs exist, an employer would not give it to someone they are not confident would be suitable for it. Please consult widely with other immigrants that also recently arrived and are now working in the field you desire.

Lastly, there are locations in the UK with less job opportunities and less open to immigrants than others. It's good to consider this when coming to the UK.

Generally, your post reflects a big lack of planning. You also came on a shoe string budget (even if it's 35million). You should have funds to cover at least 4-6 months even your visa application required 9 months living expense.

It's a new environment much different to Nigeria. Meet with people that will help you understand the system better and always plan using worst-case and not best-case scenarios

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by BigDawsNet: 8:41am On Oct 26, 2023
Light78:

UK is not like Nigeria, have you forgotten

You can't employ someone anyhow.

Your health status, place of residence, guarantor and many more would be requested.

He can start with construction labourer work.. they don't require too much of paper work... just his residency

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Purvan(m): 8:42am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

Thanks bro.
even tomorrow i will be sending 10 pounds to a student who said he doesn't have anything to eat.
terrible story. I just plan on returning back to start my data analysis course, doing R and completing other courses that gives me joy than the pain and anguished.

which country, please list

Mexico
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by botogel: 8:43am On Oct 26, 2023

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

The Best Bridge And The Best Flyover In Nigeria. PICTURES... / Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.