Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,732 members, 7,824,066 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING (92672 Views)

Should I Japa Or Stay / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / Fantastic: My First Snow Experience In Europe 2020 (photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 9:33am On Oct 26, 2023
Atk1nson:

I am also in the market looking for a next step in my career. While I agree the market is not a buoyant as it was 1-2 years ago, it is still very rich in good opportunities.

Also, this is not Nigeria. There are many jobs here, so even if you apply for 20 a day and you are not called, don't get fixated on it and keep applying (albeit each time you fail, ask yourself: what could I have done better to have been the successful applicant ?. Rather than complaining that you apply to 1 million jobs.

Lastly, networking is often about meeting people ahead of where you are. You are referencing what people who came in recently as you are saying. Network more with people who came 1-3 years ago and are doing well, to give you tips.

The probably is many new migrants came on a shoe string budget, often resulting to them asking for financial help which is why others who came earlier tend to avoid them.

everyone on his own here. i have been disturbing not necessarily for money just job links.

if possible which city are you. let me see if you can refer me i don't mind working there few days and coming to school two times.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Atk1nson(m): 9:36am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

i have someone who is a qualified nurse with BSC, RN, other degree...ordinary care she still de fined.
the last employment she went for she was the most qualified but they said just her non UK experience.

I initially assumed, you just needed someone to guide you, but I realise you already have a mind that is madeup.

Personally, I dont think you have the right mind to succeed in the uk bro. I'll advise you to try elsewhere.

Even a few weeks ago, I know of a friend's sister who came on a skilled worker visa to work in a hospital, with visa and accommodation paid for by employer.

How will someone already in the uk and with the right qualification then claim no job?

This is my last comment on your thread, not worth my time

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Zupay: 9:38am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

i am sounding a clear warning to anyone planing on coming.

i am better off with a job back home still paying my rent here.
people are sleeping in library, exhausted their last kobo.

anything i say here i know Nigerians will always see you as being foolish.

for me to start this process with 15 million shows you how determine i was.

i could stay put here but spending has to come from Nigeria then where is the head coming here?

on thr issues of landlord.. they don't rent house because u have the money. they demand that u have right to work and also u are working else they see that money as shit.

only few will ask u to pay 6 months to 12 months. unless u are alone and wants to stay in student accommodation.

Look for houses owned by the Asians (Pakis and Indians) they are more "migrant friendly", they are more open to couples with less stress and would even allow you to share a single room with a spouse when you pay about extra 50 pounds as I had friends who came alone, rented single rooms and when their spouse was to join them, they negotiated with the landlord and paid extra, from there they both hustled their way out and moved to flats.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 9:39am On Oct 26, 2023
Atk1nson:

I initially assumed, you just needed someone to guide you, but I realise you already have a mind that is madeup.

Personally, I dont think you have the right mind to succeed in the uk bro. I'll advise you to try elsewhere.

Even a few weeks ago, I know of a friend's sister who came on a [b]skilled worker visa [/b]to work in a hospital, with visa and accommodation paid for by employer.

How will someone already in the uk and with the right qualification then claim no job?

thats skilled visa tier 2... am referring to student visa tier 4

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by DrAkpamudehe: 9:40am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:
my dream was that immediately I came over, i and my dependant will search for jobs.. work and pay bill. but that is not feasible as I am seeing it.

i started this process with 15 million naira then when naira nose dive i had to borrowed extra 15 million to top it with interest of almost 2 million naira. landed in uk, started seeing the reality on ground

i have been in UK since 1 month plus. but getting a job as a migrant or new commer without UK experience is not easy.
in fact i have sent over 200 job application for cleaner, care assistant etc but all came with a sorry we have moved on to the next stage or you don't have uk experience.

school fees has to be paid. everyone here in tight corner... school has sent mail threatening to report to the immigration if school fees is not paid in the next few weeks to most Nigerians here.

no job, house rent is expensive.. going for 450 to 600 pounds per month.

travelling through student route is not really easy because you have to balance between work and school.. 'even at that where is the job as a new migrant.

Please if you are considering coming to UK for now.. please put on hold. the crowd from Indians, Pakistani, Malaysia, china etc is overwhelming.

it's not worth selling your home to be here.

i sleep in indeed and all this job site.. still yet nothing, bills mounting up.

all my colleague i came with are still with no jobs in other cities

after spending 13 million coming here with extra 3k dollars now almost exhausted chai

if u know you don't have full school fees, house rent for 12 months, upkeep.... running to 35m to 40m please stay back... stay back or apply through skill route.

edited with more info.

Old boy, go and look for construction labourer jobs. Those jobs are very easy to find. Try link up with naija boys who have been in the system for a long time to show you cash and carry jobs, or let you know agencies owned by Nigerian employers that can link you to casual labor jobs. Go naija churches and link up with the pastor and guys there. They will give u good information.Getting a job in UK or any other country as a new comer is mainly thru networking and getting information and contact from the right people. Good luck

8 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 9:41am On Oct 26, 2023
Zupay:

Look for houses owned by the Asians (Pakis and Indians) they are more "migrant friendly", they are more open to couples with less stress and would even allow you to share a single room with a spouse when you pay about extra 50 pounds as I had friends who came alone, rented single rooms and when their spouse was to join them, they negotiated with the landlord and paid extra, from there they both hustled their way out and moved to flats.

okay thanks.

house has been sorted. i got a Nigerian who helped he is the landlord.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 9:44am On Oct 26, 2023
Procashtips:

Then why move since you were already making money from Nigeria online?

Why are you not doing the same now that you're in the UK?

If security and a better living atmosphere was your reason for leaving, what happened to other African countries or some Asian/European countries you do not need to spend all your savings to move to?

not enough was thinking of travelling then getting into tech here.
but most of them are full time and am on student visa.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 9:46am On Oct 26, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

Old boy, go and look for construction labourer jobs. Those jobs are very easy to find. Try link up with naija boys who have been in the system for a long time to show you cash and carry jobs, or let you know agencies owned by Nigerian employers that can link you to casual labor jobs. Go naija churches and link up with the pastor and guys there. They will give u good information.Getting a job in UK or any other country as a new comer is mainly thru networking and getting information and contact from the right people. Good luck

common security job here demand certification, i think thr certifications cost almost 800 thousand naira here. i am trying to get certification here and there and it requires money

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Caleb15(m): 9:46am On Oct 26, 2023
Hindsight is a beautifull thing

11 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Procashtips(m): 9:47am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

not enough was thinking of travelling then getting into tech here.
but most of them are full time and am on student visa.

You could have still achieved all these in Nigeria and earn remotely since you were already doing it.

If UK no work for you, return to Nigeria, get more IT skills, work online, earn all you need to earn, then retry if you must still live in the UK.

If not, there are other countries you should consider.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Treadway: 9:49am On Oct 26, 2023
Atk1nson:

Even a few weeks ago, I know of a friend's sister who came on a skilled worker visa to work in a hospital, with visa and accommodation paid for by employer.

stories stories stories...I'm very sure you haven't walked in his exact shoes for a month, and rather than shut up, you'd instead pontificate like you are special. Fact: some will always have it easier than others not necessarily cos they are better or better prepared. It's just life. Nairaland will scream to everyone who can hear to japa like your life depends on it, and when you do and fall into some troubles, same Nairaland will say you no sharp, you no wise, you no dey hear word, you should have paid all your fees. Crap talk!

I also know someone that just moved around the time he stated, only did Amazon jobs for two weeks and got the same kind of job he was doing in Nigeria, which is the role of a hygiene manager at a flour production company. Not necessarily like he has two heads, but was just at the right place at the right time and they needed him and there was a fit. If that person was at a different location, I'm pretty sure the story would be different. This guy is literally the only contact of mine who isn't doing a dead-end boy boy job, or gaddem carework.

The OP has asked you advisors to link him to jobs if you can...he isn't asking for money. He has asked like three of you to link him to jobs in other locations sef if you can so he can work on his free days and commute back somehow during school days, una still dey speak English, cos aside the English you have nothing else to offer, except to put him down. Smh

81 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by DrAkpamudehe: 9:51am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

common security job here demand certification, i think thr certifications cost almost 800 thousand naira here. i am trying to get certification here and there and it requires money

What part of UK are you actually?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Progressivegee: 9:55am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

you didn't see the UK experience i talked about? are u in UK.

well i have don the above severally still waiting. the few i talked to are demanding for 150 pounds or more and i have spent almost 600 pounds already.

You don't need UK experience for a warehouse operative or cleaning job. All you need is your right to work share code, your BRP, National Insurance number and you are good to go. You should have all these documents as a legal resident. You may require three months UK experience or more for Care jobs or white collar jobs.

However, if you have experience in Naija, there are transferable skills you can add to your CV and apply for office roles. Getting white collar jobs isn't easy but perseverance, and taking apprenticeship roles with lower pay can help you get the much needed UK experience.

Listen to advice and you will be fine

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by DrAkpamudehe: 9:58am On Oct 26, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

Dude we know all that and that was why i asked you the very first question.

You have been in nairaland for 8yrs plus and we have been warning people like you about using untouchable loan to get a visa then travel with little or nothing but still people still do it and then open a thread like this to cry a river.

This is self inflected injury and you should blame yourself for this.

Oga, stop all these self purification and aggrandizement. If Nigeria is working O.P and most Nigerians would not leave Nigeria to go and try their luck in UK. Op did what he had to do to get a visa and get a chance at a brighter future. You that have been in UK for over 20yrs, did you have your complete school fees when you jakpaad? If you want to help him with contacts, help him, stop all this unnecessary condemnation. Life in Nigeria is freaking hard.

25 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 10:00am On Oct 26, 2023
Progressivegee:

You don't need UK experience for a warehouse operative or cleaning job. All you need is your right to work share code, your BRP, National Insurance number and you are good to go. You should have all these documents as a legal resident. You may require three months UK experience or more for Care jobs or white collar jobs.

Listen to advice and you will be fine

omo i don focus on cleaner and kitchen right now.... sure they are like asking for experience. but not all.
but i haven't been callee yet for interview. its been two weeks now i have been applying for that one.

more also let me keep applying from now till November end and see what comes up.

if you have anyone in uk who can referer someone in care.. so i will just have an experience in it... cos one agency was asking for training experience and 3 month stay in uk although i was referred by someone to the agency.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by LeopardX: 10:04am On Oct 26, 2023
Nigeria is a complete shithole, but I'm not contemplating leaving in the nearest future.
Maybe my children will, God helping me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Progressivegee: 10:05am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

omo i don focus on cleaner and kitchen right now.... sure they are like asking for experience. but not all.
but i haven't been callee yet for interview. its been two weeks now i have been applying for that one.

more also let me keep applying from now till November end and see what comes up.

if you have anyone in uk who can referer someone in care.. so i will just have an experience in it... cos one agency was asking for training experience and 3 month stay in uk although i was referred by someone to the agency.

Guy I have told you to leave indeed and look for recruitment agencies in your area and call them. They will get you a job immediately. Where do you stay in the UK

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by DrAkpamudehe: 10:06am On Oct 26, 2023
flokii:

That 13 million he spent to Japa to UK would have set up something tangible in Nigeria which if managed properly can grow in a space of 5-10 years into multi-million naira investment.

We have agro processing bisinesses begging for investments yet our youths keep rushing to pay UK government and their universities millions over certificate they might end up not using.. what really is wrong with Nigerians?.

Have warned you severally to stop typing nonsense on topics beyond your station on nairaland. You don't want to heed my warnings. You are talking of setting up businesses, how many you done set up so far?
It seems like people like you don't know that Nigeria is not currently conducive for doing business or are you typing from planet mars? Be careful, my boy.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by AdeolaOmoOba(m): 10:16am On Oct 26, 2023
The legal route might be tough but if you stick to it, it pays on the long run. The rough road push so many to the illegal side of things like pushing drugs, robbery, fraud, organ trafficking etc. Please Stick to your vision for a better life. Don't come back until you've made your mark.

Seek professional counseling opportunities offered by churches and some other organizations.

Network, Mix with your peers that is, Nigerians who have made headway to show you the ropes.

Try and connect any family member, distant relative, friends, course mates or alumnus from the school you graduated from. You might gain one or two insight and support from them. At least even if help ain't coming as expected due to their personal responsibilities to themselves and their families, you will still have some shoulders to cry on and some people to cheer you on. They will be sources of inspiration and intimidation, which in anyway will push you to try harder and better.

Put your ears to the ground. People even hire protesters and pay them. Just be careful not to get into trouble and risk deportation.

Offer cheaper freelancing services like babysitting, doing academic assignments, report writing, researching, mowing of lawns, etc.

Just face it, be dogged, be rugged.

As I am, if I have just 5 to 10Million Naira, I go jagaaani not just japa. Everyone advising you to come back is attempting to make mockery of you. emigration might be quite challenging. Don't allow the atmosphere reject you.

If you are seeing this, My prayer for you is that from today, doors shall open for you. Opportunities shall come calling your way and you shall be fortunate to maximize them. May God help you and your family. Keep calm, God is on your case. We have prayed. Believe. Amen

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

What part of UK are you actually?

anywhere around
Manchester
Middleton
Stockport
Stalybridge
Bolton.
distance is not a problem. i will still look for house anywhere then start coming to school from there though its expensive but i will manage just for experience gaining. maybe few months thing will fall in place.

more also if you have free volunteer, just the experience is okay

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by fullclub: 10:24am On Oct 26, 2023
Progressivegee:

Guy I have told you to leave indeed and look for recruitment agencies in your area and call them. They will get you a job immediately. Where do you stay in the UK

also i have been calling, but i will put in more effort maybe, still revisiting the ones i went to before

someone gave me 4 agencies in town yesterday i plan going in person once its 12 leta today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by justwise(m): 10:28am On Oct 26, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

Oga, stop all these self purification and aggrandizement. If Nigeria is working O.P and most Nigerians would not leave Nigeria to go and try their luck in UK. Op did what he had to do to get a visa and get a chance at a brighter future. You that have been in UK for over 20yrs, did you have your complete school fees when you jakpaad? If you want to help him with contacts, help him, stop all this unnecessary condemnation. Life in Nigeria is freaking hard.

No you stop talking nonsense and encouraging people like the op.

I guess you know my history here and know how many times I have warned people like the op about exact same thing he is going through now.
Don’t come to the UK if you have no money to survive. Don’t use untouchable loans to get a visa then come here to struggle.

Why waste 13m naira for nothing?

You are asking if I paid my fees in full when I came here? So do you know when I came here and the immigration rules then?

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by DrAkpamudehe: 10:31am On Oct 26, 2023
justwise:

I guess you know my history here and know how many times I have warned people like the op about exact same thing he is going through now.
Don’t come to the UK if you have no money to survive. Don’t use untouchable loans to get a visa then come here to struggle.

You are asking if I paid my fees in full when I came here? So do you know when I came here and the immigration rules then?

My friend, you should be the one to stop talking nonsense and acting holier than though. If Nigeria was operating at the level it was pre-2015, I don't think Op and his types will be so desperate to leave Nigeria.

People just want to survive, please let the poor breath.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by DrAkpamudehe: 10:35am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

anywhere around
Manchester
Middleton
Stockport
Stalybridge
Bolton.
distance is not a problem. i will still look for house anywhere then start coming to school from there though its expensive but i will manage just for experience gaining. maybe few months thing will fall in place.

more also if you have free volunteer, just the experience is okay

You need to keep searching. Even in Australia, you can't get a job within 1month except cash and carry labourer jobs. You should have enough money to last you at least 6months whenever you go to a foreign land. I will try and contact my nephews living around that area to see if there is any contact they have regarding jobs. Be strong, this is a phase and it will pass. In between, abeg those lands you are putting for sale, where are they located? Am currently on property shopping spree in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Stone03: 10:45am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:
my dream was that immediately I came over, i and my dependant will search for jobs.. work and pay bill. but that is not feasible as I am seeing it.

i started this process with 15 million naira then when naira nose dive i had to borrowed extra 15 million to top it with interest of almost 2 million naira. landed in uk, started seeing the reality on ground

i have been in UK since 1 month plus. but getting a job as a migrant or new commer without UK experience is not easy.
in fact i have sent over 200 job application for cleaner, care assistant etc but all came with a sorry we have moved on to the next stage or you don't have uk experience.

school fees has to be paid. everyone here in tight corner... school has sent mail threatening to report to the immigration if school fees is not paid in the next few weeks to most Nigerians here.

no job, house rent is expensive.. going for 450 to 600 pounds per month.

travelling through student route is not really easy because you have to balance between work and school.. 'even at that where is the job as a new migrant.

Please if you are considering coming to UK for now.. please put on hold. the crowd from Indians, Pakistani, Malaysia, china etc is overwhelming.

it's not worth selling your home to be here.

i sleep in indeed and all this job site.. still yet nothing, bills mounting up.

all my colleague i came with are still with no jobs in other cities

after spending 13 million coming here with extra 3k dollars now almost exhausted chai

if u know you don't have full school fees, house rent for 12 months, upkeep.... running to 35m to 40m please stay back... stay back or apply through skill route.

edited with more info.

Odogwu, you mean you spent about 30million Naira just to travel to UK? Nna eeh with just 20M in this present Nigerian economy you are a big boy except you don't know what to do.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Regex: 10:48am On Oct 26, 2023
justwise:

My own issue is this, the stupid fool who came here knows how he came but he has gone to sm to whine. How he go come without paying all his fees and still expecta king's welcome party here... I just see this post I purposely ignore am.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Progressivegee: 10:49am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

also i have been calling, but i will put in more effort maybe, still revisiting the ones i went to before

someone gave me 4 agencies in town yesterday i plan going in person once its 12 leta today.

Okay that is fine. I wish you all the best mate
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Kachidubem: 10:52am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

i am talking about this year... pounds is 1500
When you pay with form A , pound is not 1500 mate.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Atk1nson(m): 10:54am On Oct 26, 2023
fullclub:

thats skilled visa tier 2... am referring to student visa tier 4

you don't get the point.

If an employer employs someone in Nigeria, pays for their visa and accommodation, and waits some months to have them come and you are equally qualified and already in the UK with no work restriction, something is wrong with the way the person is doing his/her job search.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by Atk1nson(m): 10:55am On Oct 26, 2023
Treadway:
stories stories stories...I'm very sure you haven't walked in his exact shoes for a month, and rather than shut up, you'd instead pontificate like you are special. Fact: some will always have it easier than others not necessarily cos they are better or better prepared. It's just life. Nairaland will scream to everyone who can hear to japa like your life depends on it, and when you do and fall into some troubles, same Nairaland will say you no sharp, you no wise, you no dey hear word, you should have paid all your fees. Crap talk!

I also know someone that just moved around the time he stated, only did Amazon jobs for two weeks and got the same kind of job he was doing in Nigeria, which is the role of a hygiene manager at a flour production company. Not necessarily like he has two heads, but was just at the right place at the right time and they needed him and there was a fit. If that person was at a different location, I'm pretty sure the story would be different. This guy is literally the only contact of mine who isn't doing a dead-end boy boy job, or gaddem carework.

The OP has asked you advisors to link him to jobs if you can...he isn't asking for money. He has asked like three of you to link him to jobs in other locations sef if you can so he can work on his free days and commute back somehow during school days, una still dey speak English, cos aside the English you have nothing else to offer, except to put him down. Smh

you're not a very smart fellow by default, I will not waste time giving you a response.
Re: My Experience In UK Since I Japa:WARNING by tosinhtml: 10:55am On Oct 26, 2023
Atk1nson:

Not necessarily true. There are people willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

We were guaranteed by an Ethiopian who my wife only recently met. I have also guaranteed 2 people I do not really know so well. 1 is now fairly well settled. The other just came, and I hope she finds her feet.

A relative of mine came in, stayed away till she had issues paying tuition. Borrowed some cash and only paid 60% back running to 8 months now. The last time we spoke, she asked for an additional £8,000. Promising to pay all later.
I didnt borrow her and refuse to stand as a guarantor if she borrows it.

So its not by who you know. I stand as guarantor to 2 people I am not so familiar with, but will not stand for my own relation.

We are saying the same thing, because you already have knowledge that your relation is not trust worthy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos) / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.