Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi (27626 Views)

Killer Herdsmen Are Ethnic Militants At War, Not Bandits - Sheikh Gumi / Soyinka To Ortom - Killings Are Ethnic Cleansing - Vanguardngr / Traditional Elder Attack Benue Ethnic Leaders For Rejecting Buratai’s advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by adenigga(m): 5:19am On Oct 27, 2023
Obasanjo Only True Nationalist, Other Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders — Amaechi

Former minister of transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, says Nigeria is still in search of national leaders, and its democracy needs serious rethinking in terms of scope and focus.

Amaechi was the guest speaker at the 2023 TheNiche Annual Lecture themed “Why We Stride and Slip: Leadership, Nationalism, and the Nigerian Condition,” held on Thursday in Lagos.

He questioned the extent to which Nigerian leadership has been imbued with the necessary sense of national unity.

“The only person near that point of Nationalism, with all due respect, is Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo. The rest are ethnic leaders.

“Truly remarkable national leadership is the ability of a leader to galvanise the totality of a nation around the common national banner with a vision and a sense of mission.

“The truly remarkable national leader is the one who can rise above limitations to take the nation and its people to that place they long for but have never been before.

“It is a place of national greatness, pride, achievements, and shared goals, aspirations, and prosperity,” he said.

While lauding Nigerian nationalists who fought for independence, Mr Amaechi said genuine nationalistic leadership transcends ethnicity.

According to him, public service equips people with practical experience and insider knowledge about how Nigeria works, why it doesn’t work, and how it should work.

The former Rivers governor noted that Nigeria’s nationalism and nation-building are younger than the nation as an independent entity and that there have been more rulers than nationalistic leaders.

He said that most nations are products of the amalgamation of diverse nationalities under a common sovereignty, and many have tried to resolve the problem of internal diversity.

Mr Amaechi said that many Nigerian leaders are in the corridors of power for the interest of their ethnic groups, noting that the identity of Nigeria is still being tormented by ethnicity.

“There can be no credible leadership for a diverse nation without some form of resolution of the national questions as it pertains to the particular nation in question,” he added.

Also speaking, Uma Eleazu, chairman of the lecture, said that in spite of all the problems the country is facing, the future generation still has hope.

Questioning how the country got to its present point, Mr Eleazu said the toxicity of living in Nigeria had birthed the ‘Japa Syndrome’ among the youth.

“Once the boundaries of national social order are removed, there will be problems.

“Men and women of goodwill must make the necessary investment of time and energy to counter these forces to build within the next generation lasting values.

“These values are embodied in the politics of character, self-discipline, respect for authority and for one another, commitment to speaking the truth always, no matter whose horse is gored, and unshakeable love for God and humanity,” he said.

Earlier in his remarks, Ikechukwu Amaechi, the managing director/chief executive officer of TheNiche, said that the lecture was organized to gather various opinions that would shed light on why Nigeria’s enormous potential is not realised.

The lecture, now in its fourth edition, was organised by TheNiche Foundation for Development Journalism to engage Nigerians and offer solutions to some of the country’s most difficult questions.

Messrs Amaechi and Eleazu were inducted into TheNiche Hall of Fame, joining other prominent Nigerians including Remi Sonaiya, Kingsley Moghalu, and Babatunde Fashola, among others.

https://leadership.ng/obasanjo-only-true-nationalist-other-presidents-are-ethnic-leaders-amaechi/

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Ttalk: 5:19am On Oct 27, 2023
Amaechi you know I like you but this latest selfisness you are displaying because you lost the primary is getting out of hand.

Your stupidity made Wike hijack Rivers from you. APC members in Rivers are now an orphan due to your recklessness.

Your followers are in disarray because you are not a good leader. Go and make amendments before you are relegated like some failed politicians

Edited:

I know many of you criticizing my comment are the same people who drafted a market constitution to exclude your tribesmen from a different state into any elective position in the Alaba market

We saw how Anambra in his circular specifies health work only for the Anambra people.

Same you supported Obi and gave him a 99% vote. Common, Nigerians are wiser than the cunny and childish criticism you display on social media.

Remember your foremost Azikwe introduced tribalism into Nigeria's context when he gave all the Federal appointments in the SW only to his Igbo brothers.

Immediately Jonathan appointed Pius Anyim as SSG, he turned Jonathan's government into an Igbo government by giving most of the appointments to his kingsmen, NCC, Stock Exchange, Naptip, and many more. I pity other Nigerians who don't see your attempt at demonizing the Yoruba who embrace and accommodate you after the war.

You criticize Tinubu for nepotism despite giving a powerful Minister of Work to an Igbo son.

Despite Tinubu's appointment of Igbo into his government in Lagos, we have not seen the same from any of your leaders.

Now in appointments, give me the name of any of your politicians as a governor or President who is as fair as Tinubu in appointment.

This demonization must stop. Enough

157 Likes 25 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 5:32am On Oct 27, 2023
So says buhari strongest supporter

100 Likes 6 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Bobloco: 5:34am On Oct 27, 2023
FACT

The current one is not just an ethnic leader, he is an ethnic jingoist propagating emilokan brand of politics

115 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by olaric(m): 5:39am On Oct 27, 2023
Absolutely true!

46 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Nice2023(m): 5:40am On Oct 27, 2023
Facts.

That is the truth.

All those who tried to bring their tribe into govt by all means possible are today,destroying the economy.

E.g Buhari,Tinubu.

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Ladiesdoctor(m): 5:49am On Oct 27, 2023
That's the truth
Obasanjo was a no nonsense President

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by nairalanda1(m): 6:03am On Oct 27, 2023
Yaradua was not an ethnic jingoist. I also think that GEJ too was not one ( though some of the people around him were acting like that). Buhari, yes. Tinubu, when it suits his purposes.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 6:28am On Oct 27, 2023
i will say buhari started it, and now jagaban is doing is own. oodua ni mi, Eko-ile.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by agulion: 6:29am On Oct 27, 2023
That is the truth,

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by tamdun: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2023
Nice2023:
Facts.

That is the truth.

All those who tried to bring their tribe into govt by all means possible are today,destroying the economy.

E.g Buhari,Tinubu.
And Jonathan,he filled his govt with igbos...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Bede2u(m): 6:31am On Oct 27, 2023
Buhari ruined Nigeria no cap

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Bede2u(m): 6:32am On Oct 27, 2023
tamdun:

And Jonathan,he filled his govt with igbos...
Name 10 igbos in GEJ government. Make sure the people you are naming occupied CONSEQUENTIAL positions. Don't name special advisers here or deputies

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by tamdun: 6:33am On Oct 27, 2023
YinkaOlusesi16:
i will say buhari started it, and now jagaban is doing is own. oodua ni mi, Eko-ile.
Jonathan did his own toi

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Bede2u(m): 6:36am On Oct 27, 2023
tamdun:

Jonathan did his own toi
Trying hard to drive a silly narrative to justify how you guys took the country 25 years back with your APC change government. Swear that you have enjoyed APC government. Country has literally come to a halt in development.
I still challenge you to name 10 consequential positions under Jonathan occupied by Igbos.

I voted Buhari in 2015. But damn do I regret that decision. You guys were busy fighting an ethnic war in 2015 while Patriotic fools like me thought you were fighting for a Nigeria where we can eject non performing leaders.

76 Likes 9 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Britishpea: 6:36am On Oct 27, 2023
Coming from a Wickedly “Nyesomly” displaced politician. I rather not be a politician than allow the Wikes to treat me like he does you.

You were in PDP, he sent you packing. Ran to APC. WIKE has made you a dormant APC member. Are you not going to beg Wike like this?

Back to the subject matter, He’s almost right. But would he have done better going by his inability to accept defeat and work it’s his party😜? I can’t judge Tinubu yet until after his tenure. But yes Obj was a national leader. That’s why he refused to fix the roads leading to his state and refused to fix the eyes sore of roads in Ota.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by samsononyilo(m): 6:43am On Oct 27, 2023
Ttalk:
Amaechi you know I like you but this latest selfisness you are displaying because you lost the primary is getting out of hand.

Your stupidity made Wike hijack Rivers from you. APC members in Rivers are now an orphan due to your recklessness.

Your followers are in disarray because you are not a good leader. Go and make amendments before you are relegated like some failure politicians

But did he lie? You care more about party than Nigerians? He spoke the truth and you're saying gibberish.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Originality007: 6:45am On Oct 27, 2023
Ttalk:

Your followers are in disarray because you are not a good leader. Go and make amendments before you are relegated like some failure politicians

but what the man said is nothing but Truth.

even though am not his fan.

Buhari nepotism is the worst, I cant conclude on Tinubu own, untill he is done with his appointment.

23 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Originality007: 6:47am On Oct 27, 2023
YinkaOlusesi16:

That Buhari own is the worst I ever see, the man no even hide am.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Guyman01: 6:51am On Oct 27, 2023
Obasanjo went outside his ethnic group to arrange the best available brains then from South East to run the economy, they successfully took Nigeria out of debt and left huge excess crude revenues for the next administration.
Buhari came with unprecedented nepotism and installed his Fulani tribesmen to run the economy and they succeeded in squandering the little foreign reserves left by Jonathan and after that went on a massive borrowing spree and put the country back into serious debt.

Tinubu currently have an All Yoruba team running the economy and today One Dollar is N1310 .
Truly Obasanjo is a Nationalist and thats why some bigoted Yorubas hate him
nlfpmod

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Originality007: 6:52am On Oct 27, 2023
tamdun:

Jonathan did his own toi

Jona did own too, I think Jona favour His own people and the North, he was trying to perceiving the Northerners. he put dem in positions too, Forgetting that no matter what u did for the North, dey will never see u as theri own and dey believe that presidency post should b occupied by the Northerner.

Instead of Jonathan to face the South West people he Begin to please the North.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by MXrep: 6:55am On Oct 27, 2023
He said the truth but he supported Buhari the great tribalist. Lick your wounds modafvcker. Wike will come and talk his own rubbish after he is bleeped up

11 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by dododawa1: 6:57am On Oct 27, 2023
Na JONATHAN started am

Next

BUHARI

Next

In progress.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by happney65: 6:58am On Oct 27, 2023
None of them,I repeat,None of them can ever lace Obasanjo's shoes.

Obasanjo was a true Nationalist all the way.

Buhari and Tinubu even took their nepotism to the highest of the highest level

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Ebonyibrown1: 7:06am On Oct 27, 2023
Man is coming back to his senses o

3 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by DMerciful(m): 7:09am On Oct 27, 2023
You're not benefitting anything from this voluntary slavery
Ttalk:

11 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by SpatialKing(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2023
Ttalk:

Keep quiet please
What else can Tinubu and APC offer Ameachi that he hasn't enjoyed in past 8 yrs under Buhari...

Wike is just Amechi wanna be

He will soon be disgraced as FCT minister

6 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by Stephench: 7:20am On Oct 27, 2023
Yaradua and Goodluck were not ethnic leaders. How many Ijaws did Goodluck appoint into juicy positions?

8 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by MissLeslie(m): 7:24am On Oct 27, 2023
Wike has humble him😎

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by sotall(m): 7:25am On Oct 27, 2023
cool

You knew Buhari was an ethnic leader and yet supported him to the height of being his campaign chairman.

Las las the blackman have always proven to do things only out for his own interest.

9 Likes

Re: All Former Presidents Are Ethnic Leaders Except Obasanjo – Amaechi by babyfaceafrica: 7:32am On Oct 27, 2023
But Obasanjo was the only one who wanted a third them. OBj that changed like 5 Senate Presidents. He was the most dictatorial civilian president

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Edwin Clark Names Top Police Officers Behind His Home Raid / Fayose Canvasses Juicy Ministerial Position For Fayemi / Bola Tinubu: The Pains Of A Godfather By Remi Oyeyemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.