Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! (49545 Views)

Toothbrush Removed From Indian Man Stomach After He Swallowed It While Brushing / Man Who Had Neurofibroma Smiles After Surgery To Remove Huge Tumor On His Face / Soldier Uses Bag For His Stomach After Being Injured At The Battlefield. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Fulgur: 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2023
advanceDNA:
Baba calm down..... Which one is audacity to stich it up?? it's not intentional naaa... Doctors are humans too.... surgery can get messy and very long which makes them prone to mistakes... No vex

With the frequency of reported incidence in this country, your comment borders on senselessness.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by advanceDNA: 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2023
Fulgur:

With the frequency of reported incidence in this country, your comment borders on senselessness.

Guy U just dey cap.....since u have shifted to statistics..permit me to ask u the same question someone asked when I told him 550 cases happened in Canada in a space of two years

What's the statistics of reported cases in Nigeria?? .... I know u don't know....that's why I said u just dey Cap...

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by zedegit: 4:43pm On Nov 07, 2023
advanceDNA:
Baba calm down..... Which one is audacity to stich it up?? it's not intentional naaa... Doctors are humans too.... surgery can get messy and very long which makes them prone to mistakes... No vex

It's only when it affects you directly, you can say this above. You haven't lost someone dear to you due this.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Fulgur: 4:45pm On Nov 07, 2023
advanceDNA:

Guy U just dey cap.....since u have shifted to statistics..permit me to ask u the same question someone asked when I told him 550 cases happened in Canada in a space of two years

What's the statistics of reported cases in Nigeria?? .... I know u don't know....that's why I said u just dey Cap...

'Cap' must have been the latest word your vocabulary hence you abuse.

A country like Canada who faired worst among developed countries in medical malpractice and is far more prone to perform complex surgeries in far higher number is what you find comparable to Nigeria? Talking about senselessness still.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by zedegit: 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2023
Kenmatt:
OP be truthful to your self.

Not just because you want your Post to grace the "Promise Land" you're dishing what many a man think, assume which may be far from the truth.

How could you say you have lost countless of relatives and friends as a result of Doctors forgetting instruments inside their Patients stomach.

We have actually heard a lot about this, but how many times has it happened.

Please, if you're very sure it has happened to your close one, kindly highlight it here.

Let's not just be hitting on myths and jettison fact

It happened to someone I call Aunty. They forgot scissors in her stomach. An otherwise successful surgery turned to disaster.

I can't be chasing clout with such a sensitive issue. If I want front-page I have topics that can get there easily.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by advanceDNA: 4:57pm On Nov 07, 2023
zedegit:

It's only when it affects you directly, you can say this above. You haven't lost someone dear to you due this.

Lol ...Unless u don't go to hospitals ... U must have experienced the bad side of doctors service .....and they have good sides too...we just choose to amplify their their bad sides...
Me I just chose to count their errors as not deliberate and sometimes this problems are systemic too...why would a doctor want to deliberately forget scapel, scissors, cottonwool in a patient??

Have u heard that doctors sometimes finish surgeries with torchlight.?? Or couldn't do surgery at all because light went off and generator is also bad....okay...dey play..

Unless u want to deceive urself....there is no practice delivered by humans that's not prone to errors... When I showed proof to someone who claimed it's a Nigeria thing that this same thing happens in Canada and all over the world with a staggering figure of 550 in a two year period in Canada

.. he quickly changed goal post by asking what is the frequency and comparison to total amount of surgeries in canada..

U guys think this pple will never commit errors from misdiagnosis, to mis-prescription, to other kinds of error?? Make una dey play...

If this won't ever never happen...hospital management should approve post surgery scan/x-ray to ensure quality assurance and control...... But they won't...there's no budget for it abi??
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by advanceDNA: 5:03pm On Nov 07, 2023
Fulgur:

'Cap' must have been the latest word your vocabulary hence you abuse.

A country like Canada who faired worst among developed countries in medical malpractice and is far more prone to perform complex surgeries in far higher number is what you find comparable to Nigeria? Talking about senselessness still.

Lol ..U have shifted goal post again.......all I said is this happens everywhere and made an example
.....u brought up frequency of occurrence because u were trying to create an alarming scenario about this

And I asked ... Baba...what is the frequency of occurrence in nigeria....but all u have is insults.... U are free to continue with the insults ..I am not bothered by it
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by YoungBlackRico(m): 5:17pm On Nov 07, 2023
advanceDNA:

Rampant??
Permit me ask you the same question wey one werey ask me earlier becos he wanted to justify abroad doctors when I told him 550 cases happened within 2 years in just Canada alone ..

What is the actual statistics of this cases compared to the total number of surgeries done in Nigeria....since u said it's rampant.??
You know how people are always quick to ask if you've had personal experienced rather than hearsay right? Well this has happened to a relative of mine which I already stated up there and there are two or three people on this thread claiming it happened to families or friends too.

Now, it's easy to reel out numbers in saner climes, but this is Nigeria where adequate records are almost non existent, most cases won't even make it to the news. The fact that there are people actively talking about this thing should tell you how common it is.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Picardor2: 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2023
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

Really better punishment should be meted out on them

And the way they act as if they are God is second to non
That is how they almost killed my elder sister during when she was about to put to bed

We lost the child
Almost about to lose my elder sister as well

Surgical operation gone wrong
Liquid of all kinds started coming out of my sister body through her nose continously

Very scary scene

Shut up my friend. U no get point. If u no know anything in medicine just shut up.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Picardor2: 5:30pm On Nov 07, 2023
YoungBlackRico:
You know how people are always quick to ask if you've had personal experienced rather than hearsay right? Well this has happened to a relative of mine which I already stated up there and there are two or three people on this thread claiming it happened to families or friends too.

Now, it's easy to reel out numbers in saner climes, but this is Nigeria where adequate records are almost non existence, most cases won't even make it to the news. The fact that there are people actively talking about this thing should tell you how common it is.

Pay them well and see whether they will forget anything in anybody. I don't like what I hate. Una want the best from ppl u don't pay well. God punish wicked.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by blowjohn(m): 5:36pm On Nov 07, 2023
Countless relatives.

How many relatives do u have?
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by blowjohn(m): 5:38pm On Nov 07, 2023
Picardor2:

Shut up my friend. U no get point. If u no know anything in medicine just shut up.

Lol.

No point made. He didn't even tell us the cause of death.
Many nigerians will visit the pharmacy instead of hospital. Or visit a small maternity, do no antenatal then when wahala start they start running to a standard hospital at the last minute

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by advanceDNA: 5:38pm On Nov 07, 2023
YoungBlackRico:

Now, it's easy to reel out numbers in saner climes, but this is Nigeria where adequate records are almost non existence, most cases won't even make it to the news. The fact that there are people actively talking about this thing should tell you how common it is.

Bros....the fact that it happens everywhere even in so called saner climes proves my earlier point ...doctors are prone to errors... It's not a Nigerian thing.... There is no practice delivered by humans that's not error-prone

It must just be minimal...I keep seeing comment like ..they are professional, why are they trained...it's only in Nigeria...errors should never happen....
okay ooo....in Nigeria where doctors finish surgery with torchlight?? Where medical staff have never been in the standard ratio to the number of populace..okay ooo....
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by emmnprince(m): 5:54pm On Nov 07, 2023
Angelfrost:
Let Nigerian doctors be abeg.

They are overworked and underpaid.

How much does you government budget for healthcare every year?!! Compare that to what they budget for their personal cars, houses, yachts, etc?!!!

In some public hospitals, surgeons are practically doing 5 surgeries within a short time frame under the most inhumane conditions...!

Maybe you don't know some surgeries are performed without electricity and adequate ventilators and ventilation.

You need to go out there and do some research! Then, you will see how rotten your nation is.

Barely 6 months in office, your president has already gone abroad for healthcare twice.

Even your Labor President has been flown abroad for mere punch in the face.

So, what exactly are you dragging the few hardworking doctors for?!!! Instead of pressing for better healthcare system and better remuneration and working conditions for your doctors.

You people should continue electing useless leaders, then turn around to wail like idiots.

You're correct to some extent. There's standard practice in this medical field. Right? And these medical practitioners has a union body. Right? Why can't they stand on their ground and refuse to work under such inhumane or bad conditions, ehn? We are talking about surgical operations that involve the life of the one being operated on!
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by dontrulee: 6:04pm On Nov 07, 2023
Infact, I agree with you that Doctors should be punished for negligence because they're dealing with human life.

In a normal intra-op setting, there's a board in which all the surgical materials in the theater are written on and as they're being used and discarded, it is ticked off. Infact even from the time of knife on skin, it's written on the board.

At the end of the surgery, all the materials are now crossed checked again to ensure no equipment or materials are forgotten inside the patient.

That's the normal protocol that I follow unfortunately many doctors don't follow these protocols and they end up making avoidable and careless mistakes.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by cigaricon(m): 6:08pm On Nov 07, 2023
stuffs2002:

We will not stop telling doctors the truth.

If E pain you, change your profession. go and become a carpenter instead of turning yourself into a murderer.

Use the same energy to tell your government the truth also. They've killed more Nigerians than doctors with their evil anti-people policies. undecided

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by DECLAN2015(m): 6:08pm On Nov 07, 2023
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

That is how they almost killed my elder sister during when she was about to put to bed

We lost the child

Liquid of all kinds started coming out of my sister body through her nose continously

Very scary scene

What happen to your sister b4 them......only to for u to blame d doctor for everythinh
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Angelfrost(m): 6:09pm On Nov 07, 2023
emmnprince:

You're correct to some extent. There's standard practice in this medical field. Right? And these medical practitioners has a union body. Right? Why can't they stand on their ground and refuse to work under such inhumane or bad conditions, ehn? We are talking about surgical operations that involve the life of the one being operated on!

If they take that course of action, most citizens will suffer.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by DECLAN2015(m): 6:15pm On Nov 07, 2023
Angelfrost:
Let Nigerian doctors be abeg.

They are overworked and underpaid.

How much does you government budget for healthcare every year?!! Compare that to what they budget for their personal cars, houses, yachts, etc?!!!

In some public hospitals, surgeons are practically doing 5 surgeries within a short time frame under the most inhumane conditions...!

Maybe you don't know some surgeries are performed without electricity and adequate ventilators and ventilation.

You need to go out there and do some research! Then, you will see how rotten your nation is.

Barely 6 months in office, your president has already gone abroad for healthcare twice.

Even your Labor President has been flown abroad for mere punch in the face.

So, what exactly are you dragging the few hardworking doctors for?!!! Instead of pressing for better healthcare system and better remuneration and working conditions for your doctors.

You people should continue electing useless leaders, then turn around to wail like idiots.

Thanks for this
People just want to trend for the sake of it.
Any doctor working in nigeria as it presently constituted is a super man
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Nweike1: 6:16pm On Nov 07, 2023
advanceDNA:

very correct
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by stuffs2002: 6:18pm On Nov 07, 2023
cigaricon:

Use the same energy to tell your government the truth also. They've killed more Nigerians than doctors with their evil anti-people policies. undecided

Oh... So this is even a competition between doctors and government on who could kill Inocent Nigerians the most.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by advanceDNA: 6:21pm On Nov 07, 2023
blowjohn:
Countless relatives.

How many relatives do u have?

Just one...when they asked he said it happened to his aunt....one aunt is countless

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Olajide200(m): 7:01pm On Nov 07, 2023
Call me whatever you like. After police, I hate Nigerian doctors next. They are so arrogant ontop ignorance
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Streetmovement(m): 7:03pm On Nov 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

If you break your bone, or have appendicits, or have your wife needing a caesarean for obstricted labour, let us show those evil Nigerian doctors how useless they are by having you do the necessary emergency operations on them

You can do it. If Leonid Ivanovich did it, so can you. Let's show them Nigerian doctors shege. They will soon cry.

Wotoporiously cool speaking

Na wetin you dey yan the family of your patients before you kill them abi, professional my ass
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Nahunger(m): 7:19pm On Nov 07, 2023
lenghtinny:

So Nigerian medical professionals no full the abroad wey dem dey go ba ?

Your akonuche no know say na because of dilapidated healthcare system rather than professional negligence on the part of doctors make politicians dey run....

Abi you think say clinical negligence no dey sup for abroad

Google:

R vs Bateman

Roe vs minister of health

Cassidy vs minister of health

Mahon vs Osborne

Didaway vs Board of Governor, Bethlehem royal hospital

Anyone that thinks clinical negligence is a Nigerian doctors' thing need to get their brain checked

Can you bribe your way to freedom after negligence in the US?

Always look at issues from both sides of a coin b4 rushing to show your folly...

Ask ekweremadu if he regret going over seas to do his shaddy dealings or not..
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Ojogracebosede(m): 7:21pm On Nov 07, 2023
On the issue of forgetting instrument inside a patient after surgery by surgeons in Nigeria. It will continue like that until a stringent measure is taking by the health sector ministry to enact a law that all private hospitals carrying out surgeries must employ a certified and certificated perioperative Nurse, also known as Theatre nurse who will be accountable to monitoring and taking counts of any instrument, including other accessories used during the procedure. The counting should be in three stages. Pre operative, intra operative and post operative.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Kingbuhari(m): 7:27pm On Nov 07, 2023
nairalanda1:

So that means that when you have an appendictis, or your loved one needs an urgent operation, and flying abroad means they would die enroute...you would still consult those quacks that are called Nigerian doctors.

I am disappointed in you, honestly. You blast Nigerian doctors, then you call them when you need them. Hypocrite!
may they forget screwdriver 🪛 in Ur brain 🧠 Amen
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Ekpekus(m): 7:57pm On Nov 07, 2023
dontrulee:
Infact, I agree with you that Doctors should be punished for negligence because they're dealing with human life.

In a normal intra-op setting, there's a board in which all the surgical materials in the theater are written on and as they're being used and discarded, it is ticked off. Infact even from the time of knife on skin, it's written on the board.

At the end of the surgery, all the materials are now crossed checked again to ensure no equipment or materials are forgotten inside the patient.

That's the normal protocol that I follow unfortunately many doctors don't follow these protocols and they end up making avoidable and careless mistakes.
Looks like you haven't worked in government hospitals... maybe na teaching hospital you dey..
Before you suture superficial layer, you can check for those materials, which is a routine and the standard of practice. However, some things can be missed (not intentionally) and this is what is bringing us this discussion.
Again, when you have 5 or more surgeries line up (aside emergencies), then you will understand the shortage of man power, which leads to burnout, fatigue and increased risk of this discussion.
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Goddyrichie(m): 8:03pm On Nov 07, 2023
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

We lost the child

Very scary scene
boss I don Dey wait u since cuz I no Dey see ur comment moreover I don Dey text u text u 4 d past one or two years nw but u don’t reply me Nawa o 🤦‍♂️
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by Blackdisciple(m): 8:08pm On Nov 07, 2023
Hmmm dont be surprised to see that those are APC supporters they can't look normal what nonsense
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by goldenheart72: 8:31pm On Nov 07, 2023
gentposh:
Good Day house, pls I have a 32 channels DVR but I only installed 25 cameras.

How can I make the TV to only display those 25cams alone without showing the empty cameras on the screen

Hello. Please do you have an idea of the cost of a single channel CCTV camera? Indoor use please
Re: Some Nigerian Doctors Forget Tools Inside Stomach After Surgery!!!! by armadeo(m): 8:42pm On Nov 07, 2023
Angelfrost:

Indeed most of you don't even know the reality staring at you in the face.

Relax, when the reality of your nation hits, you will understand.

Let me give you a simple assignment first:

Leave your comfort zone, and visit public hospitals both within your state capital and local governments.

I don't support negligence, but there is no smoke without fire.

If NMA goes on strike indefinitely for these issues, people like you will still abuse them and call them insensitive.

Maybe, the entire Healthcare sector should be privatized... Let the owners of all the hospitals manage them and do proper oversight functions on them thoroughly. Maybe such things will stop.

Only problem will be that the same you people abusing doctors won't be able to see them at all then due to the incredibly high cost.

Truth be told this is actually the solution to the health care crises. Following this insurance will become a must and medical misconduct negligence and general anyhowness would stop because if you fck around as a doctor you'll find out.

Same with the educational system. Again if you like go to school and don't k ow why you are there. By the time you pay one year fees you'll be serious by force, again some form of student loans would be approved and scholarships will be provided for the serious minded.

Again the nugerian populace would scream and Curse at the cost for quality and we'll be right back wher we started.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Journalist Slumps And Dies While Dancing At School Reunion In Edo / Imo Ranks Number One In Condom Use / HELP!! How Can I Get Rid Of The Keloid Scar On My Head?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.