Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" (17496 Views)

Your Experiences With Chinese Bosses As Nigerians / Share Your Experiences Working With Mega Chicken Restaurants / What Are Your Experiences With GNLD??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Kennyohio(m): 12:40pm On Nov 20, 2023
Dubetex96:
who can help me set up a LinkedIn profile m

I can

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Monaboo(m): 12:44pm On Nov 20, 2023
Please what does Business Development Executive job position mean?

Is this job same as a Marketing job cos I see it as same.

All of you working as Business Development Executive in a private firm, what do u do?

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by iCauseTrouble: 12:44pm On Nov 20, 2023
grin
Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:47pm On Nov 20, 2023
Monaboo:
Please what does Business Development Executive position mean?

Is this job same as a Marketing job cos I see it as same.

All of you working as Business Development Executive in a private form, what do u do?
Sales & Marketing

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Skillsnigeria: 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
grin hmmm. Job seekers don suffer for this Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Monaboo(m): 12:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
Sales & Marketing

Hmmm....

Thank you.

The job interview is for 3pm today and I'm not even motivated cos I've been doing Business Development Sales and Marketing since 2016.

I'm tired.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by kishimi8(m): 12:50pm On Nov 20, 2023
Funny stuff, them tie una umbilical cord for there ni?
emekabassey:
My story is going to be long and the experience is far from pleasant

I worked for Fouani NIgeria Limited, the customer service department.
The manager is Lebanese, most will think this is enough justification for the way he acts but all other deartments in the company(that I know of) all have Lebanese managers but their story is so different from ours aside from the general issue of not giving employment/appointment letters, most these complaints is peculiar to that department of the company

Our manager does not allow any form of interaction amongst worker as you can be terminated for turning your head in the office, as in say you just turn neck o. Someone was terminated for laughing after office hours, work don close o and baba say the guy laugh and the next day na termination straight. Your job security depends on his mood, as he might just decide to terminate you with the excuse of 'we dont want you anymore'

Approval of leave is at his mercy, I can remember a staff, although she was due for 1 week leave, this man denied her despite the fact that this lady was seriously ill, he made her come to work even with the drip connected to her body as he told her she will be terminated if she doesnt work. This lady fainted twice at work that day and had to choose her life by resigning.

This is just one of the many cases of staffs that were terminated because they were absent from work because of illness even after informing he resumed with a medical report after being unable to come to work for 2 days and in this man's word "sorry, you can go home and rest. You will see your salary at the end of the month" That was the end of it.

This man has made the work environment so toxic and it is not strange to see staffs crying after leaving his office as he talks to staffs as if Nigerians are lesser humans, he called a teamlead a slut and accused her of sleeping with her team members because she does not deduct staff break, he threatened Samiat and promised to destroy her because the young lady wanted to quit and go for her youth service.

This man makes it his office policy to to limit staffs restroom usage to 7 minutes, anything beyond this can get you break deductions, warning letters and even termination. Whereas he who sets the rules spends 30 minutes in the restroom (You and I know that no one can control nature).

A Muslim staff was terminated for dosing during ramadan(this man na muslim o, and he prays 5 times daily) and so many others that I can't mention all that have face similar cases on a daily basis. He employs today and terminate tomorrow with a reliable reasons. There is a post on nairaland as far back as 2020 about this man.

Work time is Monday to Saturday 7:50AM to 5:30PM with no visible compensation for working overtime instead he tells you he is doing you a favor and you will get as much as 5,000 deducted from your salary which is more than double of our daily income.

Staffs break are deducted x3 of the minutes they came late to work despite the fact that their salaries will be deducted for same reason. I heard they protested against that recently and the break deductions has been stopped and replaced with more salary deductions for being late 1 minute past the resumption time of 7:50am, not even a grace period of 10minutes.

I made a more detailed post some weeks back on this man, e no easy at all.

If you have an advice for the people still there and know of a way for these ill to be corrected, please reach out and drop your comments as every bit of info here has evidence to back it up
Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by nedekid: 12:51pm On Nov 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
In my years working in a Spa, just very few Nigerian men actually want the massage, most of the time many are looking for happy endings.

Some Spa are not professionally run in Nigeria and the owners dont have certifications unlike their abroad counter part, there is a body regulating the activities of spa, nobody, I mean nobody in Nigeria regulate spa business every tom dick & harry is a spa therapist after watching YouTube videos.

Well, as for working in there, you practically begging for certain things to be done, you are under pressure 100% of the time, they are not proactive but reactive on many lingering issues but when it time to pay salary they ask you to tell them what you have achieved in the month shocked

I resigned to start off my own.
Where is your spa? Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by alizma: 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
My advise is, if you are going to work for private company in Nigeria, start saving for your own business or investment from day one, yes I mean from day one even if your salary is 20k, save in a separate account for your future. With this arrangement you will be well position to quite when you need to quit, the limited employment opportunity available in Nigeria has turned many private business or company owners in Nigeria to monsters/slave masters.
Be loyal, be hard working and committed but plan your exit before it's too late.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
Monaboo:

Hmmm....

Thank you.

The job interview is for 3pm today and I'm not even motivated cos I've been doing Business Development Sales and Marketing since 2016.

I'm tired.
Sales is actually one of the best jobs especially if it comes with a car and laptop, you can even do your side business. My roommate wouldn't leave sales even when offered other positions, and she has 4 side businesses (content creator, food business, a mini e-commerce and selling lingerie on IG)

10 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by seborrhic: 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
sow4me:
I managed an hotel at surulere. A very good location with less standard rooms and very little customers when i resumed as the superviso/manager.

I am a very simple and godly person and as such, i can work with little staff and push lots of work in less time as i make sure my guys are okay evn with the little pay from the hotel owner.
I make sure monies are resides on the sides to compensate, get dinner for my guys and I, and also weekend bonuses.

But then a woman would always be a woman.

The owner died and one of his son visited Naija and started dating one of my receptionist and u know when ladies feel they sleeping with the boss, they did auditing and found out a shortage of 70k and she the receptionist told him the son i take some amount of money for personal use.

Iv been the one doing normal accounting as its a small hotel like that.

My point am driving at is when u at the top, have some form of strictness, and dont open up with your guys too much as they can become betrayals cuz of money.
When Nigerians are narrating a story,the other side is always the bad or guilty one.The narrator is always the good one.
I bet if the other side of the story is told,yours may start looking padded to suit your narrative.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by SmartyPants(m): 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
emekabassey:

The manager is Lebanese, most will think this is enough justification for the way he acts but all other deartments in the company(that I know of) all have Lebanese managers but their story is so different from ours aside from the general issue of not giving employment/appointment letters, most these complaints is peculiar to that department of the company

Our manager does not allow any form of interaction amongst worker as you can be terminated for turning your head in the office, as in say you just turn neck o. Someone was terminated for laughing after office hours, work don close o and baba say the guy laugh and the next day na termination straight. Your job security depends on his mood, as he might just decide to terminate you with the excuse of 'we dont want you anymore'

Approval of leave is at his mercy, I can remember a staff, although she was due for 1 week leave, this man denied her despite the fact that this lady was seriously ill, he made her come to work even with the drip connected to her body as he told her she will be terminated if she doesnt work. This lady fainted twice at work that day and had to choose her life by resigning.

This is just one of the many cases of staffs that were terminated because they were absent from work because of illness even after informing he resumed with a medical report after being unable to come to work for 2 days and in this man's word "sorry, you can go home and rest. You will see your salary at the end of the month" That was the end of it.

This man has made the work environment so toxic and it is not strange to see staffs crying after leaving his office as he talks to staffs as if Nigerians are lesser humans, he called a teamlead a slut and accused her of sleeping with her team members because she does not deduct staff break, he threatened Samiat and promised to destroy her because the young lady wanted to quit and go for her youth service.

This man makes it his office policy to to limit staffs restroom usage to 7 minutes, anything beyond this can get you break deductions, warning letters and even termination. Whereas he who sets the rules spends 30 minutes in the restroom (You and I know that no one can control nature).

A Muslim staff was terminated for dosing during ramadan(this man na muslim o, and he prays 5 times daily) and so many others that I can't mention all that have face similar cases on a daily basis. He employs today and terminate tomorrow with a reliable reasons. There is a post on nairaland as far back as 2020 about this man.

Work time is Monday to Saturday 7:50AM to 5:30PM with no visible compensation for working overtime instead he tells you he is doing you a favor and you will get as much as 5,000 deducted from your salary which is more than double of our daily income.

Staffs break are deducted x3 of the minutes they came late to work despite the fact that their salaries will be deducted for same reason. I heard they protested against that recently and the break deductions has been stopped and replaced with more salary deductions for being late 1 minute past the resumption time of 7:50am, not even a grace period of 10minutes.

If you have an advice for the people still there and know of a way for these ill to be corrected, please reach out and drop your comments as every bit of info here has evidence to back it up

NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL COURT!

Take that person to the National Industrial Court!

Your employer is not a god. The court will put him in line sharply.

12 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by PrinceGallant: 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
emekabassey:

This is neo-colonialism. A stupid man making life difficult for Nigerians on their father's land. But why?
If the man is not crazy, it may be he learnt Nigerians in hard way and thereby resolved to teach Nigerians in hard ways. Some Nigerians too are dubious

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
alizma:
My advise is, if you are going to work for private company in Nigeria, start saving for your own business or investment from day one, yes I mean from day one even if your salary is 20k, save in a separate account for your future. With this arrangement you will be well position to quite when you need to quit, the limited employment opportunity available in Nigeria has turned many private business or company owners in Nigeria to monsters/slave masters.
Be loyal, be hard working and committed but plan your exit before it's too late.
shocked you no go pay tfare ni

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Chetas81(m): 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
THE USELESS AND HORRIBLE NIGERIAN CITIZEN BACKING OYINBO AGAINST THE NIGERIAN CITIZEN, IN ONE OF THE PLASTIC COMPANY INSIDE AJAO ESTATE ISOLO

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by boldsleek: 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
emekabassey:

Post the stupid Lebanese number let's torment his life.

Just imagine how wicked a human being is

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
SmartyPants:

Take that person to the National Industrial Court!

Your employer is not a god. The court will put him in line sharply.
is the one abroad or the one in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
Chetas81:
THE USELESS AND HORRIBLE NIGERIAN CITIZEN BACKING OYINBO AGAINST THE NIGERIAN CITIZEN, IN ONE OF THE PLASTIC COMPANY INSIDE AJAO ESTATE ISOLO
Why you dey fear, mention the company no fear.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by SmartyPants(m): 12:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
is the one abroad or the one in Nigeria?

What sort of question is that? The National industrial Court of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2023
nedekid:

Where is your spa? Asking for a friend.
My digits are on my profile cheesy

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2023
SmartyPants:

What sort of question is that? The National industrial Court of Nigeria.
grin Let see if he would get justice.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Bullman(m): 12:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
emekabassey:

Do you know where he lives ?
I will like to pay him a visit
If you know what that means .

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 1:00pm On Nov 20, 2023
fleshbone:
It is tough. It also toughens one up.
You have to prove that you're indispensable.
You have to always work hard and improve to stay relevant.
Depending on the company and the colleagues you encounter, your dreams are heavily influenced.

But once you attain the above, the only thing hindering one from prospering in any organization is the opportunity to get there. And if you get this password, you state to decide who and where you want to work (market stability dependent though).

You switch jobs whenever you feel the wage is no longer sufficient for your dreams.
wink

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by TheDemola: 1:02pm On Nov 20, 2023
Na bitter sweet experience grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by SmartyPants(m): 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
grin Let see if he would get justice.

Have you filed any complaint there before?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by TheDemola: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2023
emekabassey:

I think you have to take up the case with a very very strong lawyer.

Labor laws state 40hrs/week of work, any hr outside that should be regarded as overtime and paid accordingly. So you have a good case with a strong labor lawyer.

Does the company not have a handbook?

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2023
SmartyPants:

Have you filed any complaint there before?
Have you filled any there before?
Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by spiralwedge(m): 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
I run a private company.
Conclusion: Most Nigerian employees are not dependable and want to wreck you. You have to always be on your feet.

However, there are few that are.

Advice to employers reading this - when you find one who is competent and dependable, give them more incentives and benefits.

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by daneni1(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
emekabassey:

I got an offer with this firm after my service year in 2021. They actually waited for me to collect my discharged certificate and I was suppose to resume with them. Few days to when I am suppose to resume, that was how I got another offer that was twice the pay they were offering me. That was how I never resumed there again. Thank God, I didn't join them then.

10 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Meerahbel: 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
TheDemola:

I think you have to take up the case with a very very strong lawyer.

Labor laws state 40hrs/week of work, any hr outside that should be regarded as overtime and paid accordingly. So you have a good case with a strong labor lawyer.

Does the company not have a handbook?
Would you pay for the services of the lawyer?

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by Oyindamolah: 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
kiss I wish I can like this your post over a billion times.
spiralwedge:
I run a private company.
Conclusion: Most Nigerians are not dependable and want to wreck you. You have to always be on your feet.

However, there are few that are. Advice to employers reading this - when you find one who is competent and dependable, give them more incentives and benefits.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences Working In A Private Company In Nigeria" by BananaPeel(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
N3wman:
Hello Nairalanders! 🌟 Let's dive into a discussion about our experiences working in private companies across Nigeria. Your insights can be a guiding light for others navigating the professional realm. Share your thoughts on workplace dynamics, career growth, challenges faced, or any noteworthy experiences.

The first place I worked was a private school back in 2011. Every time the proprietress issues me cheque for my salary,she will instruct me to run to the bank without hesitation. Others that goes to the bank late won't be able to cash the cheque because the little in it has been collected by me and two others.
I left after the waec exams when I found out some staff are being owed between 5-8 months salary.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

An Amazing!!! Telecoms Business Opportunity With A Robust Compensation Plan!!! / Elf Petroleum Nigeria Limited Is Recruiting. / Nigerian Railway Email Inbox Is Filled Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.