Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56375 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Sucre7: 1:13pm On Nov 20, 2023
Marriage 101 never reject gifts from your in-laws or inlaws to be no matter what even if you don't eat it. It's disrespectful to reject gifts you know.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by MIGHTYMAN82(m): 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2023
Did u know anything about their culture before rejecting the offer? And ur inlaw tobe is porthacourt is their acentral home? If yes ur blameless
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by mabea: 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.
You are annoyingly daft

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by CJStarz: 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2023
I must commend you for refusing their Bread offer. If they owned a bakery, that would have been very understandable. Like,who gifts a potential son inlaw loaves of bread? Unless you looked like a hungry man to them.
They might have meant well o but it would have been demeaning of you to have accepted such an offer.
Can you imagine them immediately calling their daughter to REPORT you and for her to FIRE back at you?
Guy, for my mind ,I dey try imagine d kind of person you are.....stature wise, emotional wise and financial!

By d way, why did you buy biscuits and juice for her mama and papa, people wey suppose to dey avoid sugary things by now? E for better if you went there a half bag of rice for the mother and some good schnapps or wine for the father.
For that side? U no do well.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by onedayatime(m): 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2023
tuzle:
I have a different opinion to this. I don't see why one will accept a gift if they don't eat things like that. For example, if I don't like something and u give me as a gift, I will respectful reject it and tell u the reason why in a polite way. I don't like when I am gifted something and I end up giving someone else, except I am giving my close family members.
did the OP wrote that he does not like eating bread? He felt the bread was too common to be a parting gift but he thought in all his wisdom that shortcake biscuit is a rare gem gift for his potential inlaws who still accepted it from him with open mind....

6 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by CrossRhodes: 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?
Did you produce your biscuit locally?
What if they had rejected your biscuit gift as akward as it is?
You don't reject gifts especially from prospective inlaws, since it's from their heart...

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Slimm01: 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hardy123:
You are stupid.
Very very stupid indeed.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Havemercylord: 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
YOU ARE PROUD

BREAD IS EVEN MORE RESPECTFUL THAN BISCUITS AND JUICE, ARE THEY KIDS?

THEY ARE TRYING TO CORRECT YOU...

MY MUM WONT EVER GIVE A DAMN Bleep OF GIVING YOU PIN.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by id4sho(m): 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Does she own a shop, I mean sell bread
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by darealez(m): 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You bought in-laws shortcake and you're here spitting thrash as though to make some sense? Buying them bread made all the sense to your shortcake. I originally sense you're too full of yourself and I hope that baby girl runs for her dear life.

Sounds like you paid her school fees or bankrolled her at some point. Tori, gbogbo gira gira e yi o wa suspicious.

Too much red flags in a single statement spoken in a bid to justify an uttermost nonsense!

7 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Melezenawii: 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Children of nowadays. Just know that their daughter will not be given to you

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by onedayatime(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
All I see is proudness from the OP. He has a heart full of pride. That is all.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by emmyt2: 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Question ❓
1. Did they know that you were coming?
If yes, Bread is a wrong gift to give to a prospective inlaw while leaving the house.
2. Did you tell your girl that you were going to see her parents?
The food they served you should have been enough gift from them .
Why bread ?
Is a NO NO FOR ME.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ikaeniyan0: 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You behaved chidish

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by yomi531(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Op, u have Pride. Simple!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by CrossRhodes: 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Havemercylord:
YOU ARE PROUD

BREAD IS EVEN MORE RESPECTFUL THAN BISCUITS AND JUICE, ARE THEY KIDS?

THEY ARE TRYING TO CORRECT YOU...

MY MUM WONT EVER GIVE A DAMN Bleep OF GIVING YOU PIN.
Honestly I weak for the op, he won't make a good son in law

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by melexchi(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
you really need to change how u think, with this attitude I doubt the marriage will even last, even if someone gives me tom tom, ill gladly take it, imagine rejecting a gift from and elder because ur st*pid brain thinks its off, good luck in that marriage that's if it will happen

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by nereushouse(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
You sound like you have a bit of pride in you.
For you to have a good marriage, I think, you need to learn more of emotional Intelligence. You need to learn how to treat People maturely.
Just like everyone commented, you shouldn't have rejected the gift. Older person's (elders) communicate through gifts.
Please note that, you're also entering into a new family, how you treat people equally Matters.
I wish you good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GambaOsaka: 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.

How old are you , if I may ask?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Rhozabeth(m): 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
Just as she said, you shouldn't have rejected it. They accepted your gifts why do u have to reject theirs? Your action has sown a bad seed in their minds if u don't know!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by henrimoto(m): 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
twilliamx:

Next time them go gift you Ferrari
.. Na foreign champagne Dem for give am.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Havemercylord: 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
[color=#990000][/color]
CJStarz:
I must commend you for refusing their Bread offer. If they owned a bakery, that would have been very understandable. Like,who gifts a potential son inlaw loaves of bread? Unless you looked like a hungry man to them.
They might have meant well o but it would have been demeaning of you to have accepted such an offer.
Can you imagine them immediately calling their daughter to REPORT you and for her to FIRE back at you?
Guy, for my mind ,I dey try imagine d kind of person you are.....stature wise, emotional wise and financial!

By d way, why did you buy biscuits and juice for her mama and papa, people wey suppose to dey avoid sugary things by now? E for better if you went there a half bag of rice for the mother and some good schnapps or wine for the father.
For that side? U no do well.

You are extremely Wise for constructively criticizing arrogant OP

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Lukuluku69(m): 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You don't reject Gifts.

Collect and dash someone else.

In this case you failed.

Don't do it next time.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by tollyboy5(m): 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Apart from the fact that you did a very wrong thing like someone said already, you did not apply emotional intelligence.
I have noticed that people outside Lagos sees Lagos bread as a different kind of bread. Anytime i travel outside Lagos na Lagos bread people dey first ask from me lol.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Numerouno94(m): 1:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ishilove:

You are contradicting yourself. Gifts are symbolic, so the bread is a symbol of their goodwill towards you. You shouldn't have rejected the gift of your prospective in-laws no matter how strange it appeared.

It is even your own gift that is awkward. Imagine giving my future in-laws diabetes causing biscuits on the first visit
Who goes to his/her would b in-laws for the first time wit biscuits and juice? Studies have shown that most people of that age re dealing with diabetes and high blood pressure. Wat happened to wine, ankara,wristwatches a bag of rice or half depending on ur pocket etcetera?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ikaeniyan0: 1:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ginaz:
Guy you are wrong, you should have collected the gift. I can't imagine the embarrassment of your in law when you rejected the bread, they must had felt inferior in themselves thinking you rejected their gift due to their condition.

you are wrong period! ha! you had the guts to tell your gf that her parents gift is the wrongest gift to give you.

damn! no respect at all.
The guy has no respect for her girlfriend parents at all.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Mrmakaveli200: 1:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
You are very wrong. You have succeeded in creating a wrong first impression. This is where emotional intelligence comes to play.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by benqo01(m): 1:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kajaard:
You did not apply emotional intelligence at all.

Yes, you should have collected the bread.

Most African parents/ In laws et al might think you are disrespectful by rejecting their gift.

This is not the western world. You should have collected the bread no matter how local or little it looks. Cheers.

If the OP were to be a woman i wouldn't be surprised becos dey love drama and take little things to heart but seeing its a guy mehn i just weak the OP didnt apply wisdom at all

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GambaOsaka: 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
emmyt2:
Question ❓
1. Did they know that you were coming?
If yes, Bread is a wrong gift to give to a prospective inlaw while leaving the house.
2. Did you tell your girl that you were going to see her parents?
The food they served you should have been enough gift from them .
Why bread ?
Is a NO NO FOR ME.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.

How old are you , if I may ask? No offense intended.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by DropsMic(m): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Lol. Marriage never start you don already use hand scatter am.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by mabea: 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
grin grin grin
Biola67:
Maybe the mama see how you quick chop the first food finish grin .. she see say you dey hungry
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by TRAPLORD13: 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kajaard:
You did not apply emotional intelligence at all.

Yes, you should have collected the bread.

Most African parents/ In laws et al might think you are disrespectful by rejecting their gift.

This is not the western world. You should have collected the bread no matter how local or little it looks. Cheers.
More so since it's your fiancee's mother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Man Surprises Wife With A N15million GLA250 For Passing Her Driving Lesson / My Husband Inspects My Private Part Anytime I Return From Work / We Quarrel Because Of Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.