Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56234 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by freshkaz11(m): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hmmmm I think say na everybody for here get sense before ooooo 😳
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Truckpusher(m): 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.
She gave you all she could afford probably because she likes it, but your olodo brain no fit connect. grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by abba190: 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
maybe u have hungry looks on ur face thats why they gave u spare bread for the rainy days

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ikaeniyan0: 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
Mindlog:

You, who on a first time visit went visiting your intending in-laws with shortcake biscuits and juice and they returned the energy with loaves of bread, yet you regard it as awkward?

If na me be the family, na dat biscuit and juice una bring come na im I go serve una since na from your village farm u harvest am. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Applying social intelligence is very key when dealing with such.
I would have returned his buscuit and juice if I am his gf father
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by onedayatime(m): 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
emmyt2:
Question ❓
1. Did they know that you were coming?
If yes, Bread is a wrong gift to give to a prospective inlaw while leaving the house.
2. Did you tell your girl that you were going to see her parents?
The food they served you should have been enough gift from them .
Why bread ?
Is a NO NO FOR ME.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.
Since you stand to be corrected. I will correct you.
He travelled all the way from Lagos to PH to visit his potential inlaws. From the narration. I think he travelled by road which is a long journey. So, the bread would serve a purpose.

Another point is. Probably, both of them are from different tribes. So giving him the bread serves as him being welcome into the family. That is a sign of being loved by the gf family members

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by mabea: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
JerryJJZ:
@OP, its foolishness. In Yoruba land, its forbidden to reject 'food' from your in-laws on First visit. Even if you didnt want to eat it, you could have collected it and keep.
He ate the food oga
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by benqo01(m): 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
Op you bleeped up big time u should have collected d bread everything na wisdom

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Free2Fly: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hardy123:
You are stupid.

As in ehh, very very.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Sholuwa241: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ishilove:

You are contradicting yourself. Gifts are symbolic, so the bread is a symbol of their goodwill towards you. You shouldn't have rejected the gift of your prospective in-laws no matter how strange it appeared.

It is even your own gift that is awkward. Imagine giving my future in-laws diabetes causing biscuits on the first visit

Lol
Bad man

End of discussion

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by tosyne2much(m): 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
All this woke generation sef.... Your in-law offered you a gift you deemed the gift inconsequential and you even had to show your displeasure in your countenance... Imagine! For the place wey you wan pick wife.. You never ready to marry bro!

There are still some things you're yet to understand about marriage, culture and relating with in-laws

Soon you will know it!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by TRAPLORD13: 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
Lukepeter:
I don't think you will find the support you are looking for here, you fvcked up bro; no justification.
He can still salvage the situation by calling the mom and apologizing.
Saying sorry means alot

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by placeofallure(f): 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

You're still arguing...I doubt this one is ready for marriage. You don't seem like somebody that will be able to manage a home. People are saying here that you shouldn't have rejected the gift, you are looking for a thousand and one reasons to justify your action. I join my voice with others, it's insensitive of you to reject the gift no matter how incredulous it seems. Courtesy demands that you accept first before finding faults.
Ẹgba mi, what's even wrong with giving somebody bread? The gift wey you carry go there too no get aroma. What is juice? What is biscuit? In-laws be small pikin? You no see Ankara or lace material, you no see bag of rice? Proudness oshi for nothing!

If you carry on like this, Ẹ ma ni problem o!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Raydave: 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
Sine you know you ain't ready to learn here, you need not to bring up the topic here......No one is above mistake

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Bigsteveg(m): 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

What I can deduce is that, you sound proud.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Amonijosh1: 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
children of nowadays

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by onedayatime(m): 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
CJStarz:
I must commend you for refusing their Bread offer. If they owned a bakery, that would have been very understandable. Like,who gifts a potential son inlaw loaves of bread? Unless you looked like a hungry man to them.
They might have meant well o but it would have been demeaning of you to have accepted such an offer.
Can you imagine them immediately calling their daughter to REPORT you and for her to FIRE back at you?
Guy, for my mind ,I dey try imagine d kind of person you are.....stature wise, emotional wise and financial!

By d way, why did you buy biscuits and juice for her mama and papa, people wey suppose to dey avoid sugary things by now? E for better if you went there a half bag of rice for the mother and some good schnapps or wine for the father.
For that side? U no do well.
Then the GF parents too need to to be chastise for accepting another degrading gift from the OP

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Justkatty(f): 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
They would have gone inside and repackaged your biscuit and whatever and give back to you😌what r*bbi*h!!!
Something that you would have gladly collected, even though you can afford it and save yourself some overthinking.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Mosba: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
You should have quickly sought opinion here before deciding whether or not to reject the gift. Now it's too late or you can go back to them and explained how your Nairalander friends told you to change the decision?

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ezzymadu: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
My guy you should have accept it first what you do with it is no one biz.she is simply telling you food will not be issue for you.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by braine(m): 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
You dont reject old peoples gift in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by kunkelhanspeter(m): 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

I accept I would have collected it. My friend told me that but I needed a broader opinion

When you are leaving your culture to other people culture for the first time you just have to act like a fool to get what you want and moreover market share bread is not a cheap or poor people bread 🥖 you can reject like that thinking they are insulting you .

You just have to call and apologize.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Sensiblerealist: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
My own be say shey you sha get small bar! To marry for PH dey expensive oooo. Dem wan kill my bro that year. The guy noor dey gree the girl family near them like dat as the billing still dey pain am anytime he thinks about it

PuZZyNegro:

I accept I would have collected it. My friend told me that but I needed a broader opinion
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by henrimoto(m): 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
yoniehuin:

Na man you be

You know your worth and i like your courage

Giving a visitor 2 slice of bread is an insult and not a good thing
How you take read your own? You no know difference between "Loaves" and " Slice" ?

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by imagrg(m): 1:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
These small boys don't have respect for elders at all.
How can you reject your inlaws-to-be's gift?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Melezenawii: 1:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

How about I tell you that your mother is annoyingly stupid for giving birth to a fool like you?
You must be an idiot that lack proper home training

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by SenecaTheYonger: 1:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Gift are not symbolic at all. You're just throwing words you don't even understand around.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Lastmankc(m): 1:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Pride will later kill you.You have ego problem

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Triumped: 1:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
Funny how someone that presented biscuits and juice as a gift refused to take bread as a gift.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Error401: 1:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
A gift is a gift either its bread or kulikuli.
You bleeped up, u should apologize

PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Angelfrost(m): 1:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
Sigh... Just accept gifts with thanks. You can toss it into the bush on your way home, or give it out to those that need them.

Why do you guys enjoy making life difficult for yourselves?!!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by tosyne2much(m): 1:27pm On Nov 20, 2023
pharmaking:
Small boy carry biscuits go in-law house on a first visit.

That also is not only weird but awkward to me.

Yeye dey smell.Better call mama and apologise.

Wrongest gift indeed
The thing sef dey very funny

You go visit your in-law for the first time you dey buy biscuit go give them. Nothing wey person no go read on Nairaland cheesy

The OP should be chasing clout with this post... Obviously!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Hectroy(m): 1:27pm On Nov 20, 2023
This guy has no regards for both the fiancee and her parents. I hope the lady in question is smart enough to spot the red flag here. I'm sure the elder he went with advise him to collect the bread just that the ego is too o overbloated to deflate.
My take is that he's not yet matured for next step. Even with his friend input, he's still trying to seek undue validation.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Man Abandons His Young Wife And Kids, Moves In With Another Lady. Photos / Shalom Shoremi: Lesbian Disowned By Family On Newspaper For Same Sex Marriage / "My Husband Employed Imam To Have Sex With Me For 3 Days" – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.