Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,754 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56284 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Motherโ€™s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by luvguyy(m): 1:04pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?
I'm planning to go see my in-laws too...how many days did u stay there
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by spiralwedge(m): 1:04pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

omg... you are not wise and come across as corky. i pray the poor girl is able to dodge you.
You don't choose gifts people give you, you appreciate and collect the gift, which you can give to someone else if you don't like it. Drivers, gatemen, etc. Also, it is not the material gift that matters, but the thought and kindness behind it. And lastly, even if you are to be corky, it is not before your future in-laws or any family member.
Please that your fiancee should run ooooo, because you are annoyingly stup!d

11 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by olisaEze(m): 1:04pm On Nov 20, 2023
Dem never grind beans my guy say moi-moi don dey smell, what a mess! grin

You never marry before, you dey argue symbolism of gifts with your elders, how wise of you! If that is how you intend to argue every step of the way to the altar, just rest now till you're matured enough! grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by oluwaseyi0: 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
yoniehuin:

Na man you be

You know your worth and i like your courage

Giving a visitor 2 slice of bread is an insult and not a good thing

It's 2 loaf and not 2 slice

He is traveling a long distance (pH back to Lagos) so it not out of place for the prospective mother in law to give him something that might come in handy in the journey

She definitely will have given her daughter same if her daughter is going on long journey too

13 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GoodRocks: 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

I accept I would have collected it. My friend told me that but I needed a broader opinion

Personally it's weird for an in-law to give a son in-law bread. Who does that? Jezz! Personally I won't even accept anything. Na me supposed dey give them gifts not the other way round.

However, in your case, you're supposed to buy them bread bro. It's the normal Nigerian custom thing. Na U supposed buy them that bread but because U thought you're in the west you decided to buy them biscuit. Dey play

Why U go visit your future in-law without the girl being there? She didn't tell U about her family ways or what exactly? Una never serious.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Orgymy(m): 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Your attitude is as a result of moral decay and lost traditional values in our society today. Despite your wrong altercation and unacceptable action your inlaw to be, you still have the got to report them here. My brother, you deserve to be scolded.

11 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Fiscus105(m): 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

U went to visit ur future inlaw without her present? Indeed u started your papa Ajasco with drama and little wonder it ended in drama.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Thoughty2(m): 1:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You didn't act wisely. That's a disrespect to your in laws. Your reason for the rejection even makes it worse.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by KillahPriest: 1:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

I'll just believe you made this story up if not, it'll mean you no get orientation at all honestly. That so called common bread is a symbolic gesture to show that they appreciate your coming there, some people give other foodstuff like garri or plantain bunches or palm oil but the message is still the same. If you can't appreciate little gestures, I'm sorry, you'll have regular problems in your marriage by the time see finish has happened. Please call and apologize cool

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BreakingNews21: 1:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
Empathic yes, op you should have collected the bread.
๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by omoadeleye(m): 1:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Mad oo.

They gave you gift and you rejected it.

Mad o

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Berezuski: 1:07pm On Nov 20, 2023
Small nursery school test wey dem set for you, you fall like dodo

Why u first dey buy biscuits for your inlaws?

Na Beta gbege dey wait for u so

Whatever your in-laws gives you, you take it.
Its very disrespectful to reject gifts from them.

They prepare better elder for ground make e help you when the time reach sha

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by AMI3(m): 1:07pm On Nov 20, 2023
You are still a young man. Probably you have no life experience.
Do u know what it means to renect gift from your in-law to be?

Abeg fine way and correct that mistake. Even if it was palm kernel nuts u could have collected.
What ever u do with it is left for u.

Or she is passing a message to u that next time buy bread not biscuits

7 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Onyeka8: 1:07pm On Nov 20, 2023
Guy you f*ck up big time. Go apologize to your inlaws.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by ceede2: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You give biscuit n juice, they reciprocate by given you bread.

Your in-law try you are the problem here.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by jaxxy(m): 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.

what of if her family found ur own biscuits gifts awkward bt yet in other to accept u decided to accept ur awkward gifts? undecided

what is doing u is what we call "I too know" or over sabi.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by uniquetechng: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

You find bread awkward but didn't find biscuits and juice awkward, what an irony.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Thoughty2(m): 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2023
fyzaila:
My opinion is different, i totally did not see anything wrong in what the op did. He said, the in-laws offered them food and they ate it. Isn't that already sign of trust and acceptance from his own part as a potential son in-law? Is it now turning down the bread offered that is now a crime?

I'm a female, i wouldn't see anything wrong if my finace did what op did. I would only be hurt if he visited them without eating they food the offered. Because they must have taken their time to prepare it for his visit.

Op don't feel any bad, let them all be castigating you as you kill person. If your girlfriend like, let her use that flimsy thing as an excuse not to marry you again. It wouldn't be your loss ๐Ÿ˜Œ

Read the reason he rejected the gift first before commenting

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by xxgig(m): 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.
Irrespective of where you take it to.
It's a gift from your prospective in-laws and gift from someone who is much older and meant well for you. You shouldn't have rejected it.
It is too loaves. You could show appreciation and tell them wow this is very plenty o and they ware very generous to give you too bread.
But one will be sufficient fo you and your friend

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Sleekfingers: 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
Maturity is far from this one........

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by osazsky(m): 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

were u expecting a car

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Sucre6: 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.

Your ego too much, accept you made a mistake, learn from your mistake and stop arguing.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Wizpa(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
Biola67:
Maybe the mama see how you quick chop the first food finish grin .. she see say you dey hungry

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by ednut1(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
Red flag husband. Making an issue out of nothing, accept the bread and dash hungry people on the road. Someone that bought biscuit as gift dey complain about bread hahaahah

9 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by adisabarber(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You never see wife

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Charisma01: 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

I accept I would have collected it. My friend told me that but I needed a broader opinion

What if they rejected your own gift?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by guywitzerogal(m): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2023
O proud na you bring matter and people are telling you wat you did was wrong you re till arguing, using strong head like Fan Ndubisi.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by royalfly(m): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ginaz:

You are a shame to your family cos it's obvious you were not trained properly from home. that's why you are going about behaving like a badly raised child in a grown man's form.

go and apologise and stop being so stupid.

Abegi e never reach like that, yeah he should have collected it. But the way the parents immediately told thier daughter and her reaction is even a more reason for serious concern. U can refer to his actions as a mistake but can we refer to girls deliberate insults or angry talk as a mistake.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by yankison(m): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2023
Honestly you should have collected it ,out of love at least na your in law... It's normal bro just call her and tell her you are sorry that you were just shy ..Finish
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Sucre6: 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2023
osazsky:
were u expecting a car

The annoying thing be say the mumu no still want take correction, he is still arguing

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Free2Fly: 1:13pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

How exactly??
This crazy and arrogant Gen Z people. Una don already reach to marry, abi? Nawaoo, see children of yesterday.

My own generation would have smiled, collected it and profusely thanked her, but trashed it on our way home.

Now, you've created an unnecessary enemy.

SMH for this misguided Gen Z folks.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by toluxe0075: 1:13pm On Nov 20, 2023
Something you should have collected and joke about tearing it apart with beans later in the day.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

My Wife Misbehaves Because I Cheated On Her. / Man Dumps His Wife In Nigeria & Travels To The US. Photos / My Husband Inspects My Private Part Anytime I Return From Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.