Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,383 members, 7,829,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56390 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Error401: 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
They took your buiscuits, do you think they dont have buscuit in there village too? Why not present a wine instead? But yet they accepted it, but you ridiculed them by rejecting their bread cheesy
U don marry finish

PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Streetmovement(m): 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
Wotoporiously cool speaking

My brother you Bleep up for this one grin

It's not about the bread, you should have gotten the memo from the get go but your ego no gree you grin

Go and apologize to the giver before I commot your teeth

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by gidjah(m): 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
Boy has pride and anger management trouble wallahi.i just couldn't add my own. He must nesd apologize to them ,else he has set in a wrong footing..Busicuit ??juice against Bread !!
Where is kola nut?? Palm oil? Wrappers etc ?boy too young and no adviser near am, it rather his pride led him into this childish display !!
henrimoto:
common sense suppose tell the guy sef, if no be say na person wey too dey get pride him be.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by fredodo007(m): 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
U see guys of nowadays, na oversabi go kill them. Any guy wey try this shit with go chop am right and centre. This your write-up is egoistic and shameless.

Your mother in law gave you what they have and you should have collected it honourably. It only shows the kind of man you will end up been in marriage.

You have your reasons for not buying bread and they have their self known reason for giving you bread.

Please swallow your pride and be submissive. If na me be your babe, ur red light is so bright.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by akpumping7720(m): 1:29pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hardy123:
You are stupid.
Very very stupid! You don't reject gifts from adults and even if you don't need it you might just collect and give it out.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by SURElee(f): 1:29pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ogbeni traveling and buying bread for people is Nigerian culture.
Which business are you forming claiming you bought them shortbread biscuits and juice? Calling it package biscuit.

How many people did you see in that house? How many pieces dey inside your package shortbread wey you buy go there? How many pieces can each family member eat and be satisfied compared to the bread you rejected that when you buy for someone it will serve as breakfast for the family or dinner with tea.

When someone who lacks emotional intelligence is claiming he knows too much , that is your case.

You rejected bread given to you because to you it isn't an appropriate gift to give anyone. Na you go tell the person the kind gift dem go give you abi?

A gift is given out of what the person has and can afford.

Na you woke pass.
Continue!!!!

Tell us Nlers, if your parents have never bought bread for people while traveling or offered anyone bread.

In this economy, Nigerians will value bread than that your yeye packaged shortbread you bought. The bread you were given wasn't it also packaged?

Abeg swerve make we hear word jare

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by RichAbujaGuy: 1:29pm On Nov 20, 2023
WTF is and who makes up a handle calling themselves a PuzzyNegro? 😐

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by jamesversion: 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
yoniehuin:

Na man you be

You know your worth and i like your courage

Giving a visitor 2 slice of bread is an insult and not a good thing

Na slice you read?

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by madridguy(m): 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
I am sure you quoted the wrong person.

99persait:
you sound like a proud person

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by djseanjohn77: 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

You meed to grow up, whenever you are dealing with your inlaws, wisdom needs to be applied. You obviously have ego and are stubborn.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by DeBiafran: 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
So u knew gifts were symbolic yet u chose to gift them just biscuits and juice? Do they look like toddlers to u? 2 loaves of Bread from u, together with a bottle of cashew would have made more sense than biscuits and juice.

And yes, u should have accepted the gifts. Generally, u sound disrespectful.

PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by emmyt2: 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
onedayatime:

Since you stand to be corrected. I will correct you.
He travelled all the way from Lagos to PH to visit his potential inlaws. From the narration. I think he travelled by road which is a long journey. So, the bread would serve a purpose.

Another point is. Probably, both of them are from different tribes. So giving him the bread serves as him being welcome into the family. That is a sign of being loved by the gf family members
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by aod1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2023
You're a proud fool.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Iamrespected1: 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
I just can't believe what I just read,how can a grown man about to marry be frantically looking for people to defend his fvcking

First your gift was even way more absurd than theirs yet they accepted it and you(the emperor,the conqueror,the lion),refused theirs?Omo I sha trust my people,na straight NO they would have said to your intentions.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by CJStarz: 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
Thanks,bro✌️

onedayatime:

Then the GF parents too need to to be chastise for accepting another degrading gift from the OP
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by KIDfurniture(m): 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
I guess her family is averagely ok. Why not source for a family that have money. Like imagine make she be from otedola family. You and that man will walk away with 1m cash …. Or make e be adeleke family.. 2m cash is sure for both of you.

Bread wey fit get too much sugar.
May na see finish sha…. Maybe they know u sef na I never chop ja re. Imagine make e be e money enter that house - the family go just confuse . They will just present him with fresh virgin as gift.

PuZZyNegro:

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by placeofallure(f): 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
braine:
You dont reject old peoples gift in Africa.

Exactly!

I once cautioned my mum about doing that. Somebody gave her some money but she wanted to reject because she felt she has more than the person. I just quickly told her she shouldn't. You're richer than him but you would have succeeded in bruising his ego about his state. You can look for another way, another circumstance to gift the man back, even more than he has done.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by akpumping7720(m): 1:32pm On Nov 20, 2023
placeofallure:

You're still arguing...I doubt this one is ready for marriage. You don't seem like somebody that will be able to manage a home. People are saying here that you shouldn't have rejected the gift, you are looking for a thousand and one reasons to justify your action. I join my voice with others, it's insensitive of you to reject the gift no matter how incredulous it seems. Courtesy demands that you accept first before finding faults.
Ẹgba mi, what's even wrong with giving somebody bread? The gift wey you carry go there too no get aroma. What is juice? What is biscuit? In-laws be small pikin? You no see Ankara or lace material, you no see bag of rice? Proudness oshi for nothing!

If you carry on like this, Ẹ ma ni problem o!
Person wey dey ment. I'm even doubting if this story is real cos who does that?

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by samology2000: 1:33pm On Nov 20, 2023
Bro you should have accepted the gift and when you get home give it out, as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by OlujobaSamuel: 1:33pm On Nov 20, 2023
Rejecting such gift is an unwise decision, it's more like rejecting the giver.
I've given my parents in-law and my parents gift that I know they can give me 100folds of it without blinking an eye, but they still accept it and tell me not to have bothered.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Lastmankc(m): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.
You are too arrogant and proud,if you are not careful,it will ruin you

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by obinna58(m): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You should be a man of culture
This made me remember a time I was seeking knowledge for a business I wanted to do, I reached a fine place to checkout only to see it’s being managed by an old man with his fine daughter, I greeted and went straight to the point, first the old man offered me a roosted yam and red oil he was eating not minding my posh looking, I sat calmly and took a portion of the yam and ate confidently with the oil.
This was how our relationship developed at the moment and this man took me everywhere I wanted with good details of what I was seeking, as I was leaving he ask if I was single that his daughter is open for relationship, she was there and laughed it off, telling the father that it’s her decision to make, I smiled too but I know this man was serious

In the end I got all information I was seeking free of charge though I gifted them on my own will.

Don’t reject people’s efforts even if it’s looking stupid

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by johnjose68: 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You lack home training. Simple.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by cozy7(m): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Bro, I'm married, so let me tell u this, u were wrong to hv rejected their "first" gift. U could hv simply collected it n thrown it away later (I've done that many times). But an outright rejection is a negative signal.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by MatrixReloaded: 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You for just calm down collect am with happiness even break the bread and give it to your inlaws and say take this is part of my body in which una daughter find solace. cheesy grin hope u Don go back cos the journey far o, and na bread u go still buy for road if na road u follow. Maybe you are seizing up the family worth. Believe me repent and change unless they girl go serve u breakfast when u Don spend finish for marriage.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by IamMobisola(f): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
From your username itself... It is well

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by TheWinterBird(f): 1:35pm On Nov 20, 2023
It's bad enough that you didn't collect it, but your reason for not collecting is even worse, as if the biscuit and juice you gave them was any better. Who even visits their in-laws for the first time and gives them biscuit and juice? Lol. They didn't look down on nor reject what you brought, and the woman was nice enough to give you something as well when she didn't have to, but you didn't hesitate to look down on and reject theirs. HUMILITY ought to be your keyword for 2024, dude. Work on that.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by AllDModsAreMaad: 1:35pm On Nov 20, 2023
OP, you have issues o, you came here to seek people's opinions on something and they gave you their opinions, but you're still arguing with them.

Mr Man abi na boy, you are wrong for rejecting their gift.

Your gift is even the awkward one according to your writeup, why will you buy a family consisting of elderly ones biscuits and juice, unto say dem be kids abi, shey na ment abi na skoinskoin?
But instead of ranting like you they received it with love but you in your shortsig htedness complained about theirs.

Next time, accept it even if you don't need it, you can gift it to the needy ones on your way back to Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by dihap: 1:35pm On Nov 20, 2023
U have issues

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by DeBiafran: 1:36pm On Nov 20, 2023
Very awkward! Imagine! Biscuits and juice to old man n woman, all the way from Lagos. Quarter bag of rice for loud pass

Ishilove:

You are contradicting yourself. Gifts are symbolic, so the bread is a symbol of their goodwill towards you. You shouldn't have rejected the gift of your prospective in-laws no matter how strange it appeared.

It is even your own gift that is awkward. Imagine giving my future in-laws diabetes causing biscuits on the first visit

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Trojan8(m): 1:36pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.

Gifts are symbolic but you gave your potential in-laws biscuit and mineral on your first visit. You lack basic etiquette and an understanding of what emotional intelligence is. You should work on yourself before you think of marriage because with this kind of attitude, it is dead on arrival. If you like take heed, that's your problem.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by RichAbujaGuy: 1:36pm On Nov 20, 2023
RichAbujaGuy:
WTF is and who makes up a handle calling themselves a PuzzyNegro? 😐

I must clap for myself lolz.
I just said this the other day in another thread.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

We Quarrel Because Of Sex / Nigerian Woman Dies 4 Days After Her Wedding (Photos) / My Wife Misbehaves Because I Cheated On Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.