Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,873 members, 7,810,324 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition (19474 Views)

"The Collapsed Lagos Island Building Had Been Marked For Demolition Last Year" / Man Electrocuted During Demolition Of Pen Cinema Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Demolition Of Shops At Agege By Lagos State Government Begins (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by lexylaw40: 11:40am On Nov 30, 2023
Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Further Demolition Of Houses

A Lagos State High Court, sitting in Ikeja, on Wednesday restrained the Federal Housing Authority (FHA) and the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LSBCA) from further demolition of residential houses in 6th Avenue, Festac Town, Amuwo Odofin Local Government Area of Lagos State.

The trial judge, Justice Omolade Awope, had granted the order, following the suit by Samuel Ahmed, Martinson Realtors Investment Limited, Taoheed Amusa and R. Balogun, seeking a pre-emptive order of injunction against FHA and LSBCA.

So far, FHA and LSBCA have demolished over 600 houses and partially demolished about 700 others on 6th Avenue in Festac Town.

In the pre-emptive order of injunction, the court restrained the first defendant/respondent whether acting by itself or through its agents, privies, assigns or any special task force, para-military officers or otherwise, howsoever, described from demolishing and/or removing any building or property erected in 6th Avenue Festac Town or any other part of Festac Town in alleged enforcement of ‘Town Planning Laws’ pending the applicant’s compliance with the Lagos State High Court Practice Directions No. 2 of 2019 on Pre-action Protocol.

The order was a sequel to the motion exparte by the claimants, who adduced 10 grounds upon which they sought the order, Vanguard reports.

The grounds include, “That the instant suit was brought before the court under the order of the Supreme Court in Appeal Ne: 8C.931/2007 delivered on (March 8, 2022, and re-initiated vide a writ of Summons and statement of claim dated January 26, 2023.”

In a 40-paragraph affidavit deposed to by Alhaji R. Balogun and Thaddeus Idenyi in support of the motion, the claimants stated that the suit was the subject matter of the property situated at Fesac Town, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos State, which is more particularly described on the Survey Plan No. KESII/L/)106 dated October 4, 1980.

It further stated that during the pendency of the suit, the defendant in disregard for the process of the court, entered into the land, the subject matter of this suit and marked all the buildings erected thereon by the claimants, and their privies for demolition based on alleged violation of the defendant’s planning laws, which is premised on the defendant’s alleged ownership of the land subject matter of this suit.

Meanwhile, youth leaders have urged the Lagos State government to compensate victims whose houses were demolished, saying the government must provide housing for the needy.

Speaking, the leader of the Oworonshoki Youth Forum, Mr Opeyemi Ogunlami, said: “You cannot displace people who have been living in a place like Oworonshoki for 40 years without any compensation. We do not have power or military back up but in the community, we have voices pushing for something.”

https://saharareporters.com/2023/11/30/court-stops-lagos-state-government-federal-housing-authority-further-demolition-houses

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by lexylaw40: 11:44am On Nov 30, 2023
My question is ..Does a state high cort have
jurisdiction over a federal government institutions ??

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 30, 2023
sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Winner444: 11:47am On Nov 30, 2023
Every Nigerian ought to own a portion of the Federal Capital Territory. Abuja is our common heritage as Nigerian citizens.

The good thing is, Land no cost for Abuja, Na you wan buy am for Maitama. Even sef, Land no even cost for Maitama, Na you no buy am on time.

For as low as 800k, you can become a Landlord in Abuja. Don't take my word for it, you can click this LINK to see for yourself.
Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by yemmight(m): 12:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
That court is warming.
Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Helpfromabove1(m): 12:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
Will the court also stop the effect of flooding

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Splashme: 12:14pm On Nov 30, 2023
Long overdue
Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by ExpertEDITOR: 12:44pm On Nov 30, 2023
lexylaw40:
They don't.

13 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Armaggedon: 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
lexylaw40:
yes! Provided the matter is within the state.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Jeux: 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
E
Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Ooni: 12:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
Good. Lagos belongs to all.

6 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by mannobi(m): 1:20pm On Nov 30, 2023
Don't get it twisted, this is Nigeria, the constituted authority (government) does whatever they want. As for the demolition, they will still continue. Go and ask Soludo how many court injunctions he has received and till today, Charles is still demolishing how more of Lagos who controls both the state and the federal.
If you think a court can stop them from demolition, OYO IS YOUR CASE O

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by carterguccy(m): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
1 Billion igbos can't stop the demolition!

Any house without approval is going down, no matter who the owner is. When it rains heavily and some part of Lagos state get flooded, igbos be mocking Lagos unknowningly they are the majority cause of the flood!

Truly never throw a stone if you live in a glass house 💯!

We will keep bursting your eye till y'all learn!

Them go feel it!

38 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Wealthoptulent(m): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2023

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by havenz(m): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
My question is where was the urban development board and other agencies whose primary duties is to take care of buildings and road constructions when all these houses were about to be built.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Omoawoke: 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
Court should go to hell

Funny enough, the way igbos make noise, beat chest like gorillas, one will think they own the entire buildings in Lagos

I repeat, quote me anywhere, the entire properties whey igbos get for Lagos no reach 5%.

31 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by josele: 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
Another court will still counter this judgement. Naija

4 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by BabaO2: 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2023
judiciary doesnt have the power over executive to execute their goals

3 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Donaldoni: 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2023
It will be vacated cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Centcanada: 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2023
Does Nigeria obey court any further? Just dey play. Court and APC is 5 and 6. You obey you no obey them move together

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Memyselfu2009(m): 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2023
lexylaw40:

Yes they do

2 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Throwback: 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2023
But FESTAC belongs to the Federal Government.

10 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Sammy5413(m): 1:23pm On Nov 30, 2023
I can’t hide it anymore, na me petition the Lagos State government

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by zoedew: 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
Good. 1. Harvest time. 2. The Law gets another opportunity for further development. But they were slow in going to Court.
Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by David160(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
lexylaw40:

Yes... State high court has a wide jurisdiction except for matters that are specifically reserved for other courts under the CFRN

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by Akoasi: 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
No one obeys d court anymore.
Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by BoluwatifeNG(f): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
A little too late

5 Likes

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by callmevirus(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Let them continue Ndi ala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by fawaz050(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
Omoawoke:
Court should go to hell

Because no be your house, abi?

What goes around comes around o

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by kingsways: 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
Over 1000 houses built with people’s sweat and life savings!

Imagine the wickedness!

That you are a Governor or commissioner living off government purse doesn’t mean you should lose humanity

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by TheGiftedOne(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
NL is full of children. I read through many posts and all I see are kids with little or no brains. Spits!

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Stops Lagos State Government, Federal Housing Authority From Demolition by ola6: 1:25pm On Nov 30, 2023
This judge wan chop serious beating cheesy

To be serious, only God can stop the demolition. If the residents like, let them bribe the spirits, those houses on drainages, canals and unapproved buildings are going down!!!

Lagos is NOT a No man's land. It has laws and customs that MUST be followed.

Anyone that prefers choas and lawlessness can go to back to the south east, no lele

And for the "I'm Yoruba but..." people. Have you I.diots asked yourselves why these set of people did not protest when Soludo demolished buildings in Anambra in a bid to create a more orderly state but are protesting in your own state/region? Omo ales

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Candle Fire Burns Two-storey Building In Lagos, A Tenant Dead / Houses To Be Demolished In Ajah, Eti-osa For The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge / Hiab Selfloader Truck Hire Services In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.