Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,313 members, 7,822,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin (16954 Views)

Lagos Ownership: Don't Beat The Drums Of War, Lagos Belongs To The Aworis / Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha / "Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by colestephan86: 1:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/youre-wrong-aworis-are-lagos-first-settlers-lagos-monarch-counters-oba-of-benin/
Humans naturally settle close to water bodies during migration, I am of the opinion that it is not possible that there were no people on Lagos Island before the benins got there, If ijaws and itsekiri that are very close to Benin were already by the sea, then I don't believe benins were the first settlers on Lagos Island.
Benins are just like mungo park who went back to great Britain to tell them he discovered river Niger, when there were people living there long before he was born.

4 Likes

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mitsurugi(m): 1:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
[quote author=baysol post=127243495][/quote]

Lagos is no man's land. That's why the current president not even from there governed it and has held it as his personal fiefdom for over three decades. Igbo is your problem in life. Ogbeni e joko jare!
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Kingson28: 1:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
[quote author=Shattuck post=127243192]neither the aworis nor the binis can lay claim to the entire Lagos, the aworis had their territory in Lagos the binis also had their territory, Lagos is a state just like osun, just like you have the Ooni of ife who governs the ife territory of osun state, there are also other traditional rulers in the same osun, you can't come today and claim the ancestors of the Ooni founded osun state they only founded ife, same can be said about Lagos and how you guys always try to make it look like the aworis controlled the entire Lagos, the binis also had their territory, which means the oba isn't wrong.

Don’t just talk, Sir, use your brains.
The question is did Binis meet people already living in the part of Lagos they settled on and invaded?
The Aworis didn’t meet any earlier settlers when they got to Lagos.
Ownership is by right of First Arrival and Settlement, not by invasion.
Can Britain claim to found and own Africa simply because they invaded its indigenous peoples and conquered them?
Stop living and speaking from your emotions and sentiments. Think.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by BXNX: 1:52pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:
The Aworis themselves are Benin originally,

How come no Yoruba can state where the Awori are from, except to say they came from the Palace of Ife after Oduduwa's death?

They came to Ife with Oduduwa and left after Oduduwa's death, because they don't belong to Ife.

Oduduwa himself was from Benin, and when Benin wanted him to return to Benin because his father was dead, he refused and sent his son Oramiyan instead.

Benin already had several Ogisos before Oduduwa landed in Ife.

Why would Benin with a long history of Monarchy go to Ife to request their King to com to Benin of they had no link with that king?

It's simply because that king, Oduduwa is their son.

You eople should scream all you want, we will keep drumming the truth into your ears.

I HOPE FFK is on Nairaland.

Go sleep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by walozanga(m): 1:52pm On Nov 30, 2023
Tito24:
Ibo people
Let me advice you
You have your land now
Better develop it so that Yorubas can wish they own it
Nobody will help you develop your land trust me!
Oba Don turn Igbo man abi? Try get sense
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Iykenuwa(m): 1:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
baysol:

I know ass holes like you will answer my truth post but when the chips are down your usual begging will not work by then, like you did after your evil plans blow up on your faces in Lagos with your fake yoruba man VIVO. Una go hear wen, just wait its a matter of time. The situation will dictate itself.

This reminds me about what IBB said. LOL
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by baysol: 1:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
Mitsurugi:

Lagos is no man's land. That's why the current president not even from there governed it and has held it as his personal fiefdom for over three decades. Igbo is your problem in life. Ogbeni e joko jare!
These is the exact nonse im talking about. very soon this narrative will change, no worry he go be like noliwood film.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Kingson28: 1:55pm On Nov 30, 2023
[quote author=YoungLionken post=127243253]The fact that it's mainly the insignificant monarchs countering what the Oba said days ago, tell a lot about the whole thing..

Most of the so called monarchs want to be on the news with this. What a smart move. I heard they're even telling other monarchs to do so while it lasts cool..

Seun (obviously a Yoruba guy) and his mods won't stop at nothing in making sure that such news hit front pages back to back..

But I want you to know that, the more you fight the more obvious it becomes cheesy..

But honestly typing, the Oba truly struck a nerve, you know that moment when someone mistakenly or intentionally spray pepper in your eyes grin

PS: I'm not from Edo state...

In Yorubaland, when the major Obas snubbed and ignored your ranting, it means “Silence is the best answer…”
Complete the adage.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by whyyou2023: 1:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ŕŕ
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by baysol: 1:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:

This reminds me about what IBB said. LOL
wait be patient you and your IBB WILL SOON BE CONSCRIPTED INTO THE DUSTBIN OF HISTORY. Then you will know that money is not everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Iykenuwa(m): 1:58pm On Nov 30, 2023
baysol:

wait be patient you and your IBB WILL SOON BE CONSCRIPTED INTO THE DUSTBIN OF HISTORY. Then you will know that money is not everything.

Please fill two more buckets with your tears.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by itsene: 1:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
Still on this matter.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by charsoso: 2:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/youre-wrong-aworis-are-lagos-first-settlers-lagos-monarch-counters-oba-of-benin/

In the 16th century, the Awori settlement was conquered by the Benin Empire and the island became a Benin war-camp called “Eko” under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at the time. Eko is still the native name for Lagos.

The ancient tombs. All the Obas of Lagos before Oba Akitoye are buried in Benin City. Oba Akitoye was the first Oba of Lagos to be buried within the modern palace.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
Afonjas still mastubating on this issue. If it was seniorman Alimi (Emir of Ilorin) that said what the Oba said you won't hear pim.

2 Likes

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by sulaak(m): 2:01pm On Nov 30, 2023
Racoon:
The first Oba of Lagos was a Benin man. Beside the Portuguese were the first discoverers and named Lagos. So what is all this fuse of ownership of Lagos?

The first governor-general of Nigeria was Lord Lugard, do the British owned Nigeria. The Benin king should focus on the development of Edo state. Had the Bini developed writing , they would have recorded their claim to Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by baysol: 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:

Please fill two more buckets with your tears.
you hate truth so much like your double legged igbo people from the potopoto east. get out of yoruba land if Biafra is that great go and develop it with crime and crime proceedings. Yeye people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by forgiveness: 2:05pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:

How come no Yoruba can state where the Awori are from, except to say they came from the Palace of Ife after Oduduwa's death?

They came to Ife with Oduduwa and left after Oduduwa's death, because they don't belong to Ife.

Oduduwa himself was from Benin, and when Benin wanted him to return to Benin because his father was dead, he refused and sent his son Oramiyan instead.

Why would Benin with a long history of Monarchy go to Ife to request their King to com to Benin of they had no link with that king?

You eople should scream all you want, we will keep drumming the truth into your ears.

Who was Oduduwa's father? Benins has not given answer till date.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by jrusky(m): 2:05pm On Nov 30, 2023
Pls make una forgive that Oba of Bini since I was born to this age I never seen any oba of Bini that is as confused as him infact I was so disappointed in him that he could react when those cursed idiots called obidients Edo faction insulted him and he could say anything, first of such in Bini kingdom and again now talking what he can not proof.

So because Oramiyan came to fought war in Bini and eventually became the kind now translated to all Edo belong to Yoruba ba

I repeat there are people living in Lagos before Bini traders and farmers came. End of story.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by FreeStuffsNG: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
charsoso:

You say one lie, you need more lies. See how you are disgracing yourselves as cheats and covetous people.

The current Oonirisa already predicted it that your pride will end in disgrace. It happened. See very hard hash words being used for the Oba of Benin and he is even on the verge of witnessing his small benin being balkanized.

Nobody takes you serious with all your lies. Like Asari asked you with sarcasm " did you pack the land from Benin on your head and brought it to Yorubaland?" No. Do you even have access to the oceans? No.

You kept recycling the lies that the Oba of Benin doesn't leave the palace for long until internet era exposed your lies then you started revising same lie after you have been exposed as liars. Your generation will go down as the one who made the Bini people outsiders in Yorubaland. It started on Sunday when the Oba of Benin came to Yorubaland to receive tutorials on Yoruba history. That's your pride that demoted the bini in Yorubaland.
Nobody cares anymore. Your lies are obnoxious.

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by minasu190: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
Na God get everything, una just dey argue unnecessarily!
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by charsoso: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
Fiscus105:
Everyone knows Bini were from Ile -ife, the way they are turning the hands of clock backward by claiming all south were once under Bini empire is worrisome.

You know nothing about history. You need to read different versions of the history presented by different writers, professors, historians and other archeological findings. It will help to give you a logical view
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by kokomilala(m): 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
When Ignorance Becomes Stupidity

I've often argued that the blacks are the most stupid of all races. I say this with the most level of responsibility, and justifiably so.

When the Bini Oba made that preposterous claim, I was stunned, not least because of his ignorance, but because of the lack of reference, scholarship in his claim.

In the Awori monarch's counterclaim, one could see that he carefully set out his references- which included some foreign scholars. This is how to win an argument, not by wilfully parroting some disjointed oral claims, handed down from generations .

The history the Bini monarch cited is hazy and deeply flawed. It's well documented that the Aworis were the first settlers in Lagos. And when the Portuguese came in 1472, they met them. The Binis didn't come until 15 sth.

All it would take the monarch and the many lame-brains in this humdrum nonsense was to crosscheck history, with cross references. But no, they clearly were out to push forward a false narrative.

Many countries, throughout its history, either colonized England, or had some interaction with it: Julius Ceaser's Rome in the 5th century BC, the Germans ,the Vikings, and the French, the Norman conquest of 1066 AD. But none of this is laying claim that it founded or has any special right to England.

The black man, sadly, is just too stupid to read, to learn, to go on a lengthy effort of study.

In fact, geography has helped us to delineate these entities. Hence, the 6 geo-political zones. By implication, the Southwest , where Lagos sits, is the original home of the Yoruba. What's the argument about the covetous Binis laying claim to it that they founded it, even if they are culturally closer to the Yoruba?

2 Likes

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by jrusky(m): 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
Tito24:
Ibo people

Let me advice you

You have your land now

Better develop it so that Yorubas can wish they own it

Nobody will help you develop your land trust me!

Pls don't tell them let them be moronically be masturbting on what does not concern them. They claimed they are damn Jews they can not proof yet no shame but can be foaming in mouth over Lagos and Bini matter like an imbeciles.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Shikena(m): 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
IPOB don judge the matter. Case closed grin grin

RonuRonu:
Lagos belongs to Benin, period embarassed
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by JuanWilmore: 2:14pm On Nov 30, 2023
This forum thread delves into a heated debate regarding the historical roots of Lagos, with Bamgbade challenging the assertion that the Oba of Benin made about the city's first settlers. Participants passionately express their views, exploring the rich cultural history and disputing claims. The discussion reflects a clash of perspectives on the origins of Lagos, blending cultural pride with a historical inquiry.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by unitysheart(m): 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2023
Shattuck:
neither the aworis nor the binis can lay claim to the entire Lagos, the aworis had their territory in Lagos the binis also had their territory, Lagos is a state just like osun, just like you have the Ooni of ife who governs the ife territory of osun state, there are also other traditional rulers in the same osun, you can't come today and claim the ancestors of the Ooni founded osun state they only founded ife, same can be said about Lagos and how you guys always try to make it look like the aworis controlled the entire Lagos, the binis also had their territory, which means the oba isn't wrong.

Ife was standing even before Oduduwa defeated and conquered the several kings that governed Ife.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by charsoso: 2:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:

Tell them, school them about proper history, one thing is certain... History may be distorted but you can't erase history.
NAIWU OSAHON had already put the arguments on CONTROVERSY' OF ODUDUWA to rest.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by itsene: 2:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
Dshocker:
If there was war between the Yorubas and the Edos, who do you think will win?

Remember; Having larger numbers of fighters doesn't determine victory ✍️

After all, King Leonidas and 300 Spartans fought against Xerxes and his 100,000 Persian armies and won 👌

If you are not from Oyo-Ibadam axis the Alaafin does not recognize you as TRUE omo kaaro ojiire
So in the event of any war(highly unlikely) yorubas will have to sort themselves out first. I mean who's who.
After that the authentic yorubas can start their war.
In days gone by the Alaafin treated many " yorubas" of today as slave material, to be captured and sold.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by AncientAlien(m): 2:19pm On Nov 30, 2023
Shattuck:
neither the aworis nor the binis can lay claim to the entire Lagos, the aworis had their territory in Lagos the binis also had their territory, Lagos is a state just like osun, just like you have the Ooni of ife who governs the ife territory of osun state, there are also other traditional rulers in the same osun, you can't come today and claim the ancestors of the Ooni founded osun state they only founded ife, same can be said about Lagos and how you guys always try to make it look like the aworis controlled the entire Lagos, the binis also had their territory, which means the oba isn't wrong.
Let reason this. How can you jump Ore and Ijebu which are between Benin and Lagos then claim Lagos. It's like a Cameroonians leaving southeastern states of Nigeria to claim Abuja. It doesn't make sense at all.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by goodnessme1(f): 2:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
Aworis tribe are not yoruba
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by itsene: 2:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
Fiscus105:
Everyone knows Bini were from Ile -ife, the way they are turning the hands of clock backward by claiming all south were once under Bini empire is worrisome.

False premise, my friend.
The entire south never came from Benin
Antagonists say that simply to generate acrimony.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Proudly Ekiti's Indigene Panegyric (oriki) / Eku Ise 2.0: Goldberg Promotes Hard Work And Dignity Of Labour In New TVC / What Is Your Take On Homosexualism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.