Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin (16955 Views)

Lagos Ownership: Don't Beat The Drums Of War, Lagos Belongs To The Aworis / Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha / "Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by goodnessme1(f): 2:27pm On Nov 30, 2023
Tito24:
Ibo people

Let me advice you

You have your land now

Better develop it so that Yorubas can wish they own it

Nobody will help you develop your land trust me!
Why's nobody claiming osun and Ogun State.
Ooooooh because they are undeveloped.

Why are you yorus advising and attacking Igbos when the issues is about Benins.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by sotall(m): 2:29pm On Nov 30, 2023
And he skipped a very important aspect.

How come the Aworis were now paying taxes to the Benins?

grin grin

This people will never accept the truth.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Fiscus105(m): 2:29pm On Nov 30, 2023
charsoso:

You know nothing about history. You need to read different versions of the history presented by different writers, professors, historians and other archeological findings. It will help to give you a logical view

Go to Wikipedia and read kingdom that Bini succeeded from, don't forget Wikipedia's Bini history is furnished by Bini people themselves ooo
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by goodnessme1(f): 2:31pm On Nov 30, 2023
adigun27:
Even.d deaf know awori owns Lagos make Benin go ile Ife that is der orign d deaf know oranmiyan own Benin
Aworis tribe are not yoruba,so why are yorubas claiming Lagos.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mitsurugi(m): 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2023
baysol:

These is the exact nonse im talking about. very soon this narrative will change, no worry he go be like noliwood film.

Nollywood is okay na. If you said Hollywood I'd have been worried 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by itsene: 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2023
ObabiOlorunosi:

We are saying the same thing. The oba of Benin is a Yoruba man who originated from oranmiyan. Whichever way you look at it,Lagos is Yoruba land.

How about Oranmiyan ' father is from Benin?
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by goodnessme1(f): 2:34pm On Nov 30, 2023
[quote author=baysol post=127243495][/quote] Lagos remain no man's land
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by baysol: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2023
goodnessme1:
Lagos remain no man's land
The end they say will justify the means.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by itsene: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ernezt:
Rubbish

Totally.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by goodnessme1(f): 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2023
baysol:

The end they say will justify the means.
You are not even From no man's land.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Alexiiydon: 2:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
Dshocker:
If there was war between the Yorubas and the Edos, who do you think will win?

Remember; Having larger numbers of fighters doesn't determine victory ✍️

After all, King Leonidas and 300 Spartans fought against Xerxes and his 100,000 Persian armies and won 👌
you forgot he was later killed by the same Persian army
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Blackdisciple(m): 2:46pm On Nov 30, 2023
Oba of Benin don pinch some people be that we no go hear word again and thank God no be the igbos talk this one if not soo eehh by now......
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Iykenuwa(m): 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2023
forgiveness:

Who was Oduduwa's father? Benins has not given answer till date.

The last Ogiso of Benin was his father.

To say the Benins have not answered that question is outright falsehood. I knew that story since the 80s.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Iykenuwa(m): 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2023
Forty miles from Benin lies a large town called Lago (Lagos) which also belongs to the king of Benin. It lies on the island and is a frontier town surrounded by a strong fence. In it live none but soldiers and four military commanders, who behave in a very stately manner. Every day they come together in the kings house and make a sacrifice every morning. After the sacrifice, they hold court in the open air, in front of the kings house. Whoever has anything to complain about make his complaint. They all fall on thier knees when they present thier case in front of the kings house, and when one man is giving a verdict in his favour, he thanks the authority and the king. Also two envoys always stands with the judge and listen to what is done. Every day these two sends news off to the king, informing him of what the judges have done that day. They do this throughout the whole year. This is practised not only in Lago but also in other towns of the king, as well as in Benin itself. Many people come to the aforesaid town Lago, by water and land, with thier wares, which consist of beautiful cotton cloths woven in all kind of colours and patterns". Andreas Ulsheilmer voyage of 1603-1604, translation by Adam Jones in German Sources For West African History, 1599-1669, pp 40-41.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by itsene: 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

You say one lie, you need more lies. See how you are disgracing yourselves as cheats and covetous people.

The current Oonirisa already predicted it that your pride will end in disgrace. It happened. See very hard hash words being used for the Oba of Benin and he is even on the verge of witnessing his small benin being balkanized.

Nobody takes you serious with all your lies. Like Asari asked you with sarcasm " did you pack the land from Benin on your head and brought it to Yorubaland?" No. Do you even have access to the oceans? No.

You kept recycling the lies that the Oba of Benin doesn't leave the palace for long until internet era exposed your lies then you started revising same lie after you have been exposed as liars. Your generation will go down as the one who made the Bini people outsiders in Yorubaland. It started on Sunday when the Oba of Benin came to Yorubaland to receive tutorials on Yoruba history. That's your pride that demoted the bini in Yorubaland.
Nobody cares anymore. Your lies are obnoxious.

You are the worst liar on this forum.
I find the picture of Ojaja II sitting in front very amusing. He has his shoulders high, obviously happy to be sitting in front.
I am sure he came to the venue first so that he can sit in front.. Very small personality.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Iykenuwa(m): 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
This is from Samuel Nomamiukor on Facebook:

I made the observation that pre colonial Lagos was under Benin domination for the fact the when Ruy De Sequeira visited Lagos in 1472 he was directed to Benin.
It was from Lagos that he came to Benin in thesame year.
Another case was when Aina the goat rearer who was accused of witchcraft and exiled by Olofin went to Benin and appealed for Oba Orhogbua's intervention.
Another pointer was the statement by the Eleru Kuti of Lagos who said that Awori paid Isakole to Benin for settling in Lagos.
How do you pay tributes to someone for settling in a land that is not withing his territory except Lagos was Benin territory.
Finally to further buttress my point let me quote this Observation by Talbot from Peoples of Southern Nigeria , Vol I by Talbot Percy Amaury 1926.
" The whole of what is now Lagos Colony seems to have been under the domination of Benin before the arrival of the first Portuguese explorer Sequeira in 1472.
It is marked as Benin territory on the earliest maps, and it is unlikely that the Portuguese who knew Lagos River, and neighborhood well , would have been in error on such a point."
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Iykenuwa(m): 2:49pm On Nov 30, 2023
If the Awori own Lagos, why were they paying tribute to Benin?
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by OVB123: 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is an epic response.

Pride goeth before disgrace. See the kind of harsh ,hurtful, horrible words and invectives being used for the Oba of Benin. Smh.

The Ooni counselled same Oba of Benin against pride and vainglory attempt to revise history in order to give the bini credit that's false just to hype himself and the bini. Oonirisa is today vindicated.

According to Mujahideen Asari Dokubo, saying Benin founded Lagos shows how unintelligent some people are - THAT IS HISTORICAL PARASITISM - ASARI DOKUBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgLTNhetuwQ?si=Glv69X2MR1I7EAZh. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0Q0sJro0Ow/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
You want to die because of oba's statements? I pity you. Hypertension is loading.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Nauttyprof(m): 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2023
Shattuck:
neither the aworis nor the binis can lay claim to the entire Lagos, the aworis had their territory in Lagos the binis also had their territory, Lagos is a state just like osun, just like you have the Ooni of ife who governs the ife territory of osun state, there are also other traditional rulers in the same osun, you can't come today and claim the ancestors of the Ooni founded osun state they only founded ife, same can be said about Lagos and how you guys always try to make it look like the aworis controlled the entire Lagos, the binis also had their territory, which means the oba isn't wrong.

The Aworis spread across many areas of Lagos but same can't be said of the Binis
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Sheuns(m): 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2023
Racoon:
The first Oba of Lagos was a Benin man. Beside the Portuguese were the first discoverers and named Lagos. So what is all this fuse of ownership of Lagos?

The title Oba of Lagos is Oba of Isale Eko not the entirety of Lagos state.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by OVB123: 2:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:
This is from Samuel Nomamiukor on Facebook:

I made the observation that pre colonial Lagos was under Benin domination for the fact the when Ruy De Sequeira visited Lagos in 1472 he was directed to Benin.
It was from Lagos that he came to Benin in thesame year.
Another case was when Aina the goat rearer who was accused of witchcraft and exiled by Olofin went to Benin and appealed for Oba Orhogbua's intervention.
Another pointer was the statement by the Eleru Kuti of Lagos who said that Awori paid Isakole to Benin for settling in Lagos.
How do you pay tributes to someone for settling in a land that is not withing his territory except Lagos was Benin territory.
Finally to further buttress my point let me quote this Observation by Talbot from Peoples of Southern Nigeria , Vol I by Talbot Percy Amaury 1926.
" The whole of what is now Lagos Colony seems to have been under the domination of Benin before the arrival of the first Portuguese explorer Sequeira in 1472.
It is marked as Benin territory on the earliest maps, and it is unlikely that the Portuguese who knew Lagos River, and neighborhood well , would have been in error on such a point."
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by dododawa1: 2:57pm On Nov 30, 2023
Benin Na odududwa

Pinkin

So

Benin and Yoruba

Are

One

No let OBIDENTS come btw us.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by tolue42(m): 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
Racoon:
The first Oba of Lagos was a Benin man. Beside the Portuguese were the first discoverers and named Lagos. So what is all this fuse of ownership of Lagos?

Illiterate that's what you are. How can someone DISCOVERED a place where people are already living in?

colonization is not thesame thing as "discovered". Britain colonized Nigeria ( including bennin), can we now say Britain discovered Nigeria?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Faposky95: 3:05pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/youre-wrong-aworis-are-lagos-first-settlers-lagos-monarch-counters-oba-of-benin/

They're not...
Shame...
No History book to even settle such and teach the new generation.
Shey na everything be alaye and noise
There ought to be facts and figures for history.....
That's how it's done
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by OVB123: 3:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
LegendHero:
The Aworis who are the true owner of Lagos have spoken
I love this. The Oba of Benin should stop doing nonsense and he should immediately come back to Ife where his crown originated from

Like I have said, if Benin have found Lagos like the Oba allege falsely, they would have had ancestral land in Lagos and they would have been one of the actual Omo onile.

Kabiyesi have just reiterated that now. Oba of Benin should come and tell his his own father ancestral land in Lagos.

Shoe get sizes my dear. The oba of benin has spoken and it is final.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Kotaju: 3:10pm On Nov 30, 2023
Thank you Kabiesi for doing judgment to this history.. well said. Awori owns Lagos state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by burudichange: 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
Dshocker:
If there was war between the Yorubas and the Edos, who do you think will win?

Remember; Having larger numbers of fighters doesn't determine victory ✍️

After all, King Leonidas and 300 Spartans fought against Xerxes and his 100,000 Persian armies and won 👌
It was a lie... king Leonardo did not won the war.. all the 290 Spartan die except for the only one Spartan sent back home to go and give an account of the war.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by StraightGaay: 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
carterguccy:

If dem born you and your lineage well, come and lay claim to Lagos in person!

I'm sure your father would love to see you and your cohorts in bodybags cool

Olori pelebe!

Na Igbos carry the matter for head like gala, oh i forgot that's their JOB!
Buy you have no claim to quarter land in Lagos, so why yelling
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by todugo(m): 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2023
Never have I seen tribalism inside same tribe😂😂
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2023
Racoon:
The Portuguese who visited the region wrote down what they saw: Lagos is a part of Benin.
Stoplying:
Precolonial maps of Lagos have Benin written all over them:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom
This more than settles it. Lagos was a part of Benin.

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:23pm On Nov 30, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Proudly Ekiti's Indigene Panegyric (oriki) / Eku Ise 2.0: Goldberg Promotes Hard Work And Dignity Of Labour In New TVC / What Is Your Take On Homosexualism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.