Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,899 members, 7,824,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin (16970 Views)

Lagos Ownership: Don't Beat The Drums Of War, Lagos Belongs To The Aworis / Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha / "Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:25pm On Nov 30, 2023
tolue42:

Illiterate that's what you are. How can someone DISCOVERED a place where people are already living in?

colonization is not thesame thing as "discovered". Britain colonized Nigeria ( including bennin), can we now say Britain discovered Nigeria?
Portuguese never colonized Lagos, nor did they discover it, you and the guy whom you are replying are both wrong.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by seunayantokun(m): 3:26pm On Nov 30, 2023
Good response.
I also commend Asari Dokubo's video reply.
The former Oba of Benin started the falsehood in 2004, I think. He published a book and launched it in Lagos then setting off a wind of controversy. He wanted to run away from his own identity as a descendant of a Yoruba prince, Oranmiyan.
Ọba Ulẹ̀ Ùbínú is a Yoruba king.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by legitnow1: 3:28pm On Nov 30, 2023
Tinubu, Sanwolu Responsible For Abule Ado Bombing
Today, Tinubu is demolishing 1000 houses in Abule Ado, just three years after the bombing.

Now, we know those behind the bombing that killed so many in Abule Ado, destroying Igbo homes and businesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7eZ6dMoNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPbqP0KXQyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKWIjLSMOLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vL3hqKI7U
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:28pm On Nov 30, 2023
seunayantokun:
Good response.
The former Oba of Benin started the falsehood in 2004, I think. He published a book and launched it in Lagos then setting off a wind of controversy. He wanted to run away from his own identity as a descendant of a Yoruba prince, Oranmiyan.
There was never any oranmiyan, learn to differentiate fairytales from actual history.
I have documents written hundreds of years ago in which eyewitnesses clairly claim Lagos as being part of Benin. I posted some of them here, which makes me wonder why you posted this.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:34pm On Nov 30, 2023
Like most Nigerians, including that fat ignoramus calling himself dokubo, you guys know nothing about history but you just believe you are at the level of professors.

History is not about your feelings or what you believe in nor is it about the present day observations. Things change with time !

History is about studying texts written by eye-witnesses.

You guys confuse Benin city with Benin kingdom.
Benin kingdom was a large precolonial African country, Benin city is just a city within the kingdom, Benin city is the capital of Benin kingdom and the city was first written down as Edda.

2 Likes

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
Eyewitness writen precolonial text stating clearly that Lagos belongs to Benin:

"Captain Horseley called it Eco, and that is how the yebous refer to it; but it is not their land: it belongs to Benin, whom have named it Korame, you can recognise the Curamo from older Portuguese reports, just like Eko represents the Ichoo from Holland Hydrographs. Long ago Korame was linked to its metropolis by a very narrow piece of land contained between the great Laguna and the sea; but it has been a while since the Yebous have seazed that very narrow piece of land of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates; and Karamé remained isolated at the extremity of the great Laguna, while it continues to receive from Benin it's governor or political chief."

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5806879x.r=Y%C3%A9bou?rk=21459;2

Precolonial map of the region showing that Lagos (in its currents form) and its environs were part of Benin (see below)
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2

Conclusion: Lagos and its environs were part of Benin.

I am not interested in debating things which have already been proven. Also I am not interested in talking to people whom have been harrassing me. (I also want to add that I am actually the only person whom has commented here who actually speaks french and that I am the person who posted the french caption and the book from which it is to nairaland. Some delusional people who don't speak a word of frecnh were trying to "debate" me on the translation of the text several months ago. Fools can only fool other fools.)

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mccullum: 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
Shattuck:
neither the aworis nor the binis can lay claim to the entire Lagos, the aworis had their territory in Lagos the binis also had their territory, Lagos is a state just like osun, just like you have the Ooni of ife who governs the ife territory of osun state, there are also other traditional rulers in the same osun, you can't come today and claim the ancestors of the Ooni founded osun state they only founded ife, same can be said about Lagos and how you guys always try to make it look like the aworis controlled the entire Lagos, the binis also had their territory, which means the oba isn't wrong.

Bini didn't own any part of Lagos. If truly Bini had any part in Lagos, why no single part of Lagos state speaking native language of Bini?

Egun people has little part of Lagos in Badagry as small as that part is in that local government, egun still speaking their indigenous language.

Where is that of Bini in Lagos state.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:40pm On Nov 30, 2023
Mccullum:

Shut up, Bini didn't own any part of Lagos. If truly Bini had any part in Lagos, why no single part of Lagos state speaking native language of Bini?

Egun people has little part of Lagos in Badagry as small as that part is in that local government, egun still speaking their indigenous language.

Where is that of Bini in Lagos state.
1. It is Benin, not "Bini"
2. Below is a map of Africa published in 1747 by Emanuel Bowen.
3. Benin was a large multilingual kingdom.
4. Scroll up and witness me showing eyewitness written documents claiming very ckairly that Lagos belongs to Benin. That and the Precolonial maps.

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by joefelin2345: 3:40pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/youre-wrong-aworis-are-lagos-first-settlers-lagos-monarch-counters-oba-of-benin/
But Erelu of Lagos in a viral video was supporting Oba of Benin na u. So who is now saying the truth?
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by tolue42(m): 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
Stoplying:

Portuguese never colonized Lagos, nor did they discover it, you and the guy whom you are replying are both wrong.

Hope you can read where I said Britain colonized Nigeria? So what are you saying??

It was Britain who DISCOVERED Nigeria is that what you're saying??
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by GUNITGuy: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2023
seunayantokun:
Good response.
That book created problem between him and the then Oba of Lagos Oyekan as well as the Ooni of Ife Sijuade........
It was written by a So called researcher or Professor .....
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by ConfidentialDoc: 3:46pm On Nov 30, 2023
Oba ewuare and other Benin royalty are Yoruba and he knows it.
He also knows Bini people have a very fragile ego and doesn't want to hurt their feelings
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mccullum: 3:46pm On Nov 30, 2023
Stoplying:

"Captain Horseley called it Eco, and that is how the yebous refer to it; but it is not their land: it belongs to Benin, whom have named it Korame, you can recognise the Curamo from older Portuguese reports, just like Eko represents the Ichoo from Holland Hydrographs. Long ago Korame was linked to its metropolis by a very narrow piece of land contained between the great Laguna and the sea; but it has been a while since the Yebous have seazed that very narrow piece of land of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates; and Karamé remained isolated at the extremity of the great Laguna, while it continues to receive from Benin it's governor or political chief."

Precolonial map of the region showing that Lagos (in its currents form) and its environs were part of Benin (see below)

I am not interested in debating things which have already been proven. Also I am not interested in talking to people whom have been harrassing me. (I also want to add that I am actually the only person whom has commented here who actually speaks french and that I am the person who posted the french caption and the book from which it is to nairaland. Some delusional people who don't speak a word of frecnh were trying to "debate" me on the translation of the text several months ago. Fools can only fool other fools.)

Part of Bini as empire not as indigenous people of Lagos that's called Ereko historically that later shortened to Eko nowadays.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
tolue42:

Hope you can read where I said Britain colonized Nigeria? So what are you saying??

It was Britain who DISCOVERED Nigeria is that what you're saying??

Look at what you were replying. The guy was saying the Portuguese discovered Lagos and hinted that the Portuguese should also lay claim to Lagos. You replied by saying that you can not discover a place where people already lived and then you made the comparison of Britain colonizing Nigeria but not owning Nigeria.
I tried to make sense of your comparing "colonisation" with "discovering". That is why I reminded you that the Portuguese did not colonize Lagos. If that was not your point then you had no point.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
Mccullum:

Part of Bini as empire not as indigenous people of Lagos that's called Ereko historically that later shortened to Eko nowadays.
Empire in the sense of large Kingdom. You Nigerians focus on words in a not very smart manner.

How can I make this clearer to you: the oldest eyewitness written records show Lagos as being part of a country called Benin kingdom or Benin empire ruled over by the Oba of Benin !
You are here talking about "indigenous" as if you have a magical document to define what that is, whereas I am giving you evidence but somehow you still believe your magical "indigenous" talk is a better argument.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mccullum: 3:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
Stoplying:

1. It is Benin, not "Bini"
2. Below is a map of Africa published in 1747 by Emanuel Bowen.
3. Benin was a large multilingual kingdom.
4. Scroll up and witness me showing eyewitness written documents claiming very ckairly that Lagos belongs to Benin. That and the Precolonial maps.

You meant Benin Republic or what..
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 3:52pm On Nov 30, 2023
Mccullum:

You meant Benin Republic or what..
Benin Republic got its name in the 1970's, the name originally belongs to the country of the Oba of Benin !!!
I am presenting documents which are several hundred years old !!!!!! These documents clearly talk about Benin kingdom in an era in which there was no such thing as "Benin Republic" !!!!!!!!
It is annoying how you guys know basically nothing at all.

You guys just go around talking fairytales and thinking you are talking history.

Benin Republic which was formerly called Dahomey names itself after us, and you in your ignorance proceed to change our name to "Bini" ?
When your son names your grandchild after you, does that mean you need to proceed and change your name?
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by CJStarz: 3:55pm On Nov 30, 2023
Habaaa,
These people should rest now.
#lettheobabreathe
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mccullum: 3:57pm On Nov 30, 2023
Stoplying:

This map is for Bini empire, not as indigenous people of Lagos, the oba claimed was that Binis were founding people of Lagos.

Why no part of Lagos state is speaking language?
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by walezy14(m): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
Is not new to me, Benin people always re-write history.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by gare(f): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/youre-wrong-aworis-are-lagos-first-settlers-lagos-monarch-counters-oba-of-benin/

Of what relevance is this argument? Would it reduce the price of food stuff in the market. Is there any award for the founders.

When they banned history in our schools what do you expect, now they are dragging for the founders of Lagos.

Ok let's all calm down, with this argument let's assume Lagos has no founder and until we do a proper research.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2023
walezy14:
Is not new to me, Benin people always re-write history.
We quote eyewitness written records published several hundred years ago and to you that is "rewriting" history. Whereas your own claim is not substantiated and is laced with all kinds of fairytales, and you are the one telling the "true" history

2 Likes

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Wallade(m): 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
Shattuck:
neither the aworis nor the binis can lay claim to the entire Lagos, the aworis had their territory in Lagos the binis also had their territory, Lagos is a state just like osun, just like you have the Ooni of ife who governs the ife territory of osun state, there are also other traditional rulers in the same osun, you can't come today and claim the ancestors of the Ooni founded osun state they only founded ife, same can be said about Lagos and how you guys always try to make it look like the aworis controlled the entire Lagos, the binis also had their territory, which means the oba isn't wrong.

You obviously know nothing about history. Shut up if you have nothing reasonable today.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mccullum: 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
Stoplying:

Benin Republic got its name in the 1970's, the name originally belongs to the country of the Oba of Benin !!!
I am presenting documents which are several hundred years old !!!!!! These documents clearly talk about Benin kingdom in an era in which there was no such thing as "Benin Republic" !!!!!!!!
It is annoying how you guys know basically nothing at all.

You guys just go around talking fairytales and thinking you are talking history.

Benin Republic which was formerly called Dahomey names itself after us, and you in your ignorance proceed to change our name to "Bini" ?
When your son names your grandchild after you, does that mean you need to proceed and change your name?

Stop stealing other people history, you people were known for fabrication of history, find the truth below 👇.

The colony was at first called Benin (from the Bight of Benin, not the precolonial kingdom of Benin, which is in Nigeria), but in 1894 it was renamed Dahomey, after the recently incorporated kingdom. From 1904 Dahomey formed part of the federation of French West Africa, under the governor-general in Senegal.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Wallade(m): 4:05pm On Nov 30, 2023
Racoon:
The first Oba of Lagos was a Benin man. Beside the Portuguese were the first discoverers and named Lagos. So what is all this fuse of ownership of Lagos?

Really
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by ola6: 4:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
Iykenuwa:
The Aworis themselves are Benin originally,

How come no Yoruba can state where the Awori are from, except to say they came from the Palace of Ife after Oduduwa's death?

They came to Ife with Oduduwa and left after Oduduwa's death, because they don't belong to Ife.

Oduduwa himself was from Benin, and when Benin wanted him to return to Benin because his father was dead, he refused and sent his son Oramiyan instead.

Benin already had several Ogisos before Oduduwa landed in Ife.

Why would Benin with a long history of Monarchy go to Ife to request their King to com to Benin of they had no link with that king?

It's simply because that king, Oduduwa is their son.

You eople should scream all you want, we will keep drumming the truth into your ears.

I HOPE FFK is on Nairaland.

This one is just crazy cheesy
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Mccullum: 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2023
Stoplying:

Empire in the sense of large Kingdom. You Nigerians focus on words in a not very smart manner.

How can I make this clearer to you: the oldest eyewitness written records show Lagos as being part of a country called Benin kingdom or Benin empire ruled over by the Oba of Benin !
You are here taking about "indigenous" as if you have a magical document to define what that is, whereas I am giving you evidence but somehow you still believe your magical "indigenous" talk is a better argument.

You people lie too much, you're not making anything clear, you're deceiving your self.

The colony was at first called Benin (from the Bight of Benin, not the precolonial kingdom of Benin, which is in Nigeria), but in 1894 it was renamed Dahomey, after the recently incorporated kingdom. From 1904 Dahomey formed part of the federation of French West Africa, under the governor-general in Senegal.
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by ola6: 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2023
goodnessme1:
Aworis tribe are not yoruba,so why are yorubas claiming Lagos.
If I'm not a yoruba man, what am I? Werey ti poju ni nairaland yi grin
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by viodemus: 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2023
Na wa o. This mata dun stretch o.

For me, what about the Brazilians amongst the yorubas. From 1820s to 1900s, over 1 million Brazilians came to Lagos, many escaped Brazil. There were black ship people, that smuggled many Brazilians back to africa, especially Lagos. Then, they were also Brazilians that came as slaves with the Portuguese and later the British, when they were ruling Lagos.

The Brazilians ran from the harsh realities they faced in Brazil. People were hung and beheaded for small crimes, the oyibos would copy the arabs and blindfold a man and a woman, with the victims not knowing that they were related, and make them have sex for the pleasure of the oyibo ticket payers. Brazil was a point from where slaves were sold to the Caribbean and the USA. It was really bad for them. Brazil even today, has more blacks outside of Africa.

Many people claimed that the number of Brazil that went back to Lagos was almost 5 million, some say it was a million. So, what about those Brazilians? Many of those Brazilians, learnt yoruba when they moved away from Lagos, but many of them stayed in Lagos. There were also many igbos that ran away from slavery but never made it back to the east due to igbo war against the slave traders and other tribes around.

Brazilians are still holding on to their people that went to Nigeria, mostly Lagos. Many Brazilians naively call the whole Nigeria - yoruba, because the word on the street then, was if you learn yoruba, they can quickly assimilate back into the black areas of Nigeria.

Those one million or so Brazilians, are now full time yorubas, at least most of them. Even today, Brazilians are still crying for their people. Fun facts, most Brazilians blacks are tracing their roots more to the SE and tribes of cross Rivers and akwa ibom, than sw. But, you can't deny that they got more integrated to the sw.

I don't know what the oba is talking about, especially when they try to make fake narratives of ruling over a majority people like the Igbos. Such an aloof and wishful statement cannot be possible. If you took advantage of igbo fight against Europeans or arabs or even northern Nigeria, that's one thing. But the Igbos bow to no one.

It is also interesting to be learning about this current argument.

If the oba is claiming Lagos ownership, he should have conquered and owned all the states before Lagos. I really don't see how that was possible. Another thing is, did the oba ever conquer even one inch of the north?
I don't know if his made up stories is to give his slaves a bigger view of him or what.

Coronavirus time, the oba did not save the world with his powers. Matter of fact, no one could go to his house. Dem been dey fear infection like everybody else.

If I was to judge from my limited knowledge, I think the Lagos had yorubas before any Benin oba. Yes, the Portuguese and the british after, took over Lagos, then the yorubas systematically let Lagos become a capital in order to benefit from the development of being a national capital.

The oba reminds me of back in the day Rome, from the books; They said, the Roman leaders had fire blow out in a terrifying manner when his door opened, before he came out to make a speech. it made people think he had some kind of mystic powers, which made people fear him beyond normal.

2 Likes

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Bovis(m): 4:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
I want to believe that the Oba of Benin is just being mischievous due to pride. Kings are meant to be the custodian of culture/history and it’s shameful if he doesn’t know his own history. The Oba Ancestors are from ile-Ife
Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 4:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
History needs to be in the curriculum in Nigerian schools. That would avoid this level of ignorance.
The Oba of Benin is 100% right.
What the Oba of Benin said is backed by eyewitness written documents!
But in Nigeria, fat ignoramuses like that charly the crossdresser and this slowpoke pirate calling himself dokubo all believe they are professors. In a country populated by illiterates, the biggest fool (dokubo) will believe he is an incredible genius and will spew his nonsensical thoughts as if he were presenting research for the Nobel price of physics.

1 Like

Re: You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin by Stoplying: 4:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
Mccullum:

Stop stealing other people history, you people were known for fabrication of history, find the truth below 👇.

And where did the bight of Benin get its name from ?
Notice that the maps which I presented predate the French colonisation of Dahomey !
You can clearly see that the map is that of Benin kingdom ! Apart from "Kingdom of Benin" being written on it, the geographical position of it is clearly not that of Dahomey ! Are you blind ?
This map is from 1747 !! Dahomey was not a colony as of yet !!!!!!!

This is what I hate with Nigerians, you guys know nothing but you just believe you know better. You believe you are actually a professor.
You see "Benin kingdom" written in front of your eyes and you think it is Benin Republic 🤡
In the date of publication of the document there was no such thing as Benin Republic, but you still believe it is magical time traveling Benin Republic🤡

It is amazing that you don't understand that in a PRE-COLONIAL map of Africa, there is no such thing as "colonial Dahomey which the French first called Benin".

Do you by any chance understand a little bit better what I have to deal with when talking to complete ignoramuses like you ?

🤡!!!!!The French colonized Dahomey in 1883 !!!!!!!!🤡

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Is Your Take On Homosexualism? / "Village People" Fact Or Myth? / Nrurita Uka (debate In Igbo Language).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.