Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 (63002 Views)

See The Fish I Bought With My Hard-Earned ₦1k / See The Tomatoes Someone Bought For N380 In Ghana / Food Items I Bought With 78K - Man Shares Shocking Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Klinee: 11:59pm On Dec 02, 2023
AfahaAbia:
All you ignorant folks here talking like you know what happens in the UK and USA. In the USA and UK foods is very cheap. Food there is nothing. Have you heard of food banks? They give food for free. I personally use to do dumpster diving in those days as a student (Google dumpster diving) come see fresh food na that people no longer need. My fridge was usually full with all kinds of foods... Light bill, water bill, etc that is the Koko. You go pay tire!!! It's only in Nigeria I see so much ignorance.
Na you dey ignorant here! How many Nigerians can afford light bill of 24/7 with the current tariff rate? Because light in Nigeria is very cost compared to there.
How many Nigerians can afford good apartment in Nigeria here? Because houses are very cost in Nigeria compared to there.
Come to Nigeria and see millions of Nigerians living in the forest, mud houses, thatch houses, shanties even under bridges because they can't afford the cost of renting a good apartment in Nigeria. If these Nigerians have the money they would have rented good home.
But over there most of them can afford good accomodation, 24/7 electricity and also good food.

5 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by psalmsjob: 11:59pm On Dec 02, 2023
OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER see why = 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N700
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,700 so your change is N1,300 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin

Westchester:
Just saw this on Social Media, bro we’re living in hell in this country, just imagine what someone bought with only an hour’s job wage undecided cry
All these just for ten pound sterling shocked

3 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by sukkot: 12:02am On Dec 03, 2023
Truths9ja:
you don’t get my response well. I said what of the players in the uk 🇬🇧 that earned more than £250k per annum you said earlier? I want you to explain well on that.
very rare. Uk wages are notoriously low. If it wasn’t for the strength of the pound it would be a no go zone. Wages are poor. There are no job description that would pay you that much in the uk but if you have a skill and willing to hustle like for example doctors do locum. This is like hustling mercenary type work where you are sent anywhere everyday so you are unstable but you can get up to 250k. That’s the only job where you can clock 250k is locum consultant because those top IT jobs you can’t even make half of that
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by jogojogo: 12:02am On Dec 03, 2023
Funkyswagzz:

Ahh that's cool. I stayed in gloucestershire for a year before moving to kenton, london. Most of my friends were Indian u rarely see nigerians over there. I hope u will attend the carnival in Notting hill its really fun.
That's great
Time and date please
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by osothermal(m): 12:02am On Dec 03, 2023
Whalis:

That I see on that cart is far beyond £10. That chicken is about £6. The bread is £3. They are deceiving those who haven't travelled before. A play of food in UK is about £20.
This one just open mouth dey talk nonsense. Where in uk is bread £3 or can't you see the receipt? Ozwo

3 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by planetx: 12:03am On Dec 03, 2023
Unhealthy junk food, why it's cheap. Cost of living in Nigeria is way lower than any Western Industrialized country.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by osothermal(m): 12:04am On Dec 03, 2023
Nativetree:

Nigeria is totally bad!!! I live in Manchester and I earn same £10 an hour. My rent is £900 a month, I spend £50 for light, £80 for gas. My take home after tax is £1800 at least and out of it. I save a minimum of £600. And this is minimum wage
if you're married and your wife is working aswell your joint savings would be about £2000 or more

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by sukkot: 12:04am On Dec 03, 2023
vivaciousvivi:

I shop in Lidl and what was posted by OP is true o. Only thing i dont buy is the chicken and onions as I get them from proper Al-Halal shops run by Arabs which are cheaper. The spaghetti I bought last (May 2023) - I got 6 packs and paid 0.30p each then so e don even cost. Pls just go to Lidl store online on Google and check for yourself. I have attached straight from their app for you to comfirm and these are their current leaflet.

The best part is that when you have a clubcard (loyalty card which is free), you even get some discount more at the till!

Not everything that seems too good to be true to you, is now a blatant lie.

But are you earning that every HOUR? This analysis is easy to grasp bro. In UK, that's lower than minimum wage per hour. And most work between 20 to 40 hours per week. Now please, do the math.
I think that's what the OP has been trying to state.
yes but do those in Nigeria pay all the uk bills ? It all evens out
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by nedekid: 12:06am On Dec 03, 2023
illicit:
Waiting for someone to blame Tinubu

Hmm, he brought apc and Buhari that killed the purchasing power of 99% of Nigerians. He then took office and destroyed it more.
Abi who should the average Nigerian blame for naira falling from 150/200 9 years ago to 750, and 4 months ago to 1150? Was pounds not 240 for 16 years of the previous PDP? In that 16 years was our currency not stable?
Who should Nigerians blame? Themselves? Or you?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:09am On Dec 03, 2023
AfahaAbia:
All you ignorant folks here talking like you know what happens in the UK and USA. In the USA and UK foods is very cheap. Food there is nothing. Have you heard of food banks? They give food for free. I personally use to do dumpster diving in those days as a student (Google dumpster diving) come see fresh food na that people no longer need. My fridge was usually full with all kinds of foods... Light bill, water bill, etc that is the Koko. You go pay tire!!! It's only in Nigeria I see so much ignorance.

To maintain the same standard of 247 power supply , you know how many litres of gen you will burn daily? That's the light tax in Nigeria.
To have the same type of security, you know how much you will pay for security security?

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by nedekid: 12:19am On Dec 03, 2023
Whalis:

That I see on that cart is far beyond £10. That chicken is about £6. The bread is £3. They are deceiving those who haven't travelled before. A play of food in UK is about £20.
Oga, are you sure about what you wrote?
Where will you see such chicken for 6 pounds, that chicken, cooked not even raw sells for 2-3 pounds tops.
Even though eating out is expensive where do you eat a plate for 20 pounds? Half chicken with chips, gravy and a bottle of chilled kopparburg cider at jd wetherspoon is 10-11 pounds. Even breakfast buffet at most travel lodge is around 8 pounds. So which one is 20 for a plate again? Unless you go to high end restaurants.
What op posted there you will easily buy at any cornershop or Tesco not to talk of lidl, Aldi etc

5 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Sirianese: 12:22am On Dec 03, 2023
thatigboman:
very funny. True though

True bro an entire day's minimum wage still cannot buy it, in fact

APC's internet slaves are yet to realize how badly their lives have been destroyed, by the same animalistic politicians they follow and worship.

Dead monkeys

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:24am On Dec 03, 2023
sukkot:
yes but do those in Nigeria pay all the uk bills ? It all evens out

Bro, my rent was N550k per year at OPIC estate outside Lagos o. And then drive through that horrible traffic into the expressway daily to work. And that was because we formed bond with the landlord. The minute we told our landlord we were leaving, I got him a new tenant I met here on nairaland. Landlord jacked the rent for the guy to N1mn - 3 bed flat. The guy was telling me via WhatsApp. I swear! They finally agreed on N850k. Same compound, we pumped our water - which was basically clay and spend N4k to buy chemicals plus a small bag of alum every month to throw inside the tank on every pump. I kid you not.

My phcn bill with prepaid meter was N22k / month excluding previous gbese that accumulated after we paid for meter and they were still sending us inflated bills and this was then o. With some SERIOUS rationing. I swich off fridge and completely offloaded my freezer when I go to work. So I was paying crazy in naija for utilities I didn't even enjoy or had to provide for myself. let's not even talk of medicines when ill.

The bills are NOT crazy at all like you guys think else, why do people stay? As for your London comment earlier, Londoners pay the highest percentile in rent truly but also earn the highest percentile in income averaging £28k to the high £60Ks. Trust me, my naija secondary school friend who lives there, it's chicken change compared to her net pay at month end o.

If you have a partner, it's even better cos u share bills for a single hhousehold.I repeat, its not as crazy as you think and u can save quite well in such a short time too.

7 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by erico2k2(m): 12:24am On Dec 03, 2023
Cruise777:
Rent and utilities na the Koko, not food

Even homeless people get free food
That's not the issue can your 1hr mi I.um wage feed you for a day??

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Adolfnigeria: 12:25am On Dec 03, 2023
@richiemcgold

So minimum wage earner go use about 10%, after a month of working, of salary to buy chicken.

Make we dey apply IQ.

Cost of food in Nigeria compared to the minimum wage is a killer. facts

richiemcgold:

A kilo of chicken as of today is N3,500.
BTW, why can't you Nigerians articulate your opinions without throwing banters. Why are we so abusive like this? Haba!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by chi4ik4(m): 12:25am On Dec 03, 2023
And I hate that her spaghetti, I hate that brand, so sticky and starchy
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by richiemcgold: 12:27am On Dec 03, 2023
Adolfnigeria:
@richiemcgold

So minimum wage earner go use about 10%, after a month of working, of salary to buy chicken.

Make we dey apply IQ.

My first comment you quoted has already answer your question. That's why I said you probably did not read it entirely.
..and you probably have a low IQ as well. Pls don't quote me again.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Sirianese: 12:29am On Dec 03, 2023
vivaciousvivi:

Bro, my rent was N550k per year at OPIC estate outside Lagos o. And then drive through that horrible traffic into the expressway daily to work. And that was because we formed bond with the landlord. The minute we told our landlord we were living, I got him a new tenant I met here on nairaland. Landlord jacked the rent for the guy to N1mn - 3 bed flat. The guy was telling me via WhatsApp. I swear! They finally agreed on N850k. Same compound, we pumped our water - which was basically clay and spend N4k to buy chemicals plus a small bag of alum every month to throw inside the tank on every pump. I kid you not.

My phone bill with prepaid meter was N22k / month and this was then o. With some SERIOUS rationing. I swich off fridge and completely offloaded my freezer when I go to work. So I was paying crazy in naija for utilities I didn't even enjoy or had to provide for myself. let's not even talk of medicines when ill.

The bills are NOT crazy at all like you guys think else, why do people stay? As for your London comment earlier, Londoners pay the highest percentile in rent truly but also earn the highest percentile in income averaging £28k to the high £60Ks. Trust me, my naija secondary school friend who lives there, it's chicken change compared to her net pay at month end o.

If you have a partner, it's even better cos u share bills for a single hhousehold.I repeat, its not as crazy as you think and u can save quite well in such a short time too.

2 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by planetx: 12:29am On Dec 03, 2023
Which kind yeye food is cheap abroad maybe junk foods like this. Go eat a plate of jolof or pounded yam and come back and talk of cheap food.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by planetx: 12:31am On Dec 03, 2023
Whalis:

That cart is easily $30-40 in the US.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Adolfnigeria: 12:36am On Dec 03, 2023
@ richiemcgold,

U cannot get such provisions, in that basket, at those prices.

How can you be comparing an hr works with 2.5 weeks of week.

There is a reason one person has to work 2.5 weeks to buy such i.e., inflation, and high cost of living costs for basics.

U're IQ is lower than lower. Rock bottom.... Dey apply critical thinking.

There is no comparison, and you cannot get such in Nigeria at those prices.....There is like 8 thighs of chicken in that basket. What are you chatting about?

richiemcgold:

My first comment you quoted has already answer your question. That's why I said you probably did not read it entirely.
..and you probably have a low IQ as well. Pls don't quote me again.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:36am On Dec 03, 2023
vivaciousvivi:

Bro, my rent was N550k per year at OPIC estate outside Lagos o. And then drive through that horrible traffic into the expressway daily to work. And that was because we formed bond with the landlord. The minute we told our landlord we were living, I got him a new tenant I met here on nairaland. Landlord jacked the rent for the guy to N1mn - 3 bed flat. The guy was telling me via WhatsApp. I swear! They finally agreed on N850k. Same compound, we pumped our water - which was basically clay and spend N4k to buy chemicals plus a small bag of alum every month to throw inside the tank on every pump. I kid you not.

My phone bill with prepaid meter was N22k / month and this was then o. With some SERIOUS rationing. I swich off fridge and completely offloaded my freezer when I go to work. So I was paying crazy in naija for utilities I didn't even enjoy or had to provide for myself. let's not even talk of medicines when ill.

Your job wasn't min wage (probably middle class to upper mid class). can 30k monthly minimum wage salary afford this your former 550k house rent? Resounding Noooo.

The person you are quoting doesn't have absolutely no basis for any argument.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by TheWinterBird(f): 12:39am On Dec 03, 2023
planetx:
That cart is easily $30-40 in the US.
Yes, definitely.
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:39am On Dec 03, 2023
Adolfnigeria:
@richiemcgold

Make we dey apply IQ.

Mehn those guys are devils 😈 devoid of empathy. Very insensitive breed.

3 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Klinee: 12:46am On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER see why = 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N700
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,700 so your change is N1,300 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin

You just don't know your mathematics.
How can you measure it by the exchange value?
You measure by your earning, what can you get with your hourly earning in Nigeria and what can you get with your hourly earning in UK, that is only way you can determine who is actually living good standard life between the two individuals.

6 Likes

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Spandau: 12:48am On Dec 03, 2023
sukkot:
hey let that man live lol

Shey I can't ask after my nigga ni? Shey I can't show concern again, abi? Where is Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg?🤪🤪🤪. You better use your Astral powers to locate him or else you go collect name wey no be yours o.🤪🤪🤪🤪

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Spandau: 12:49am On Dec 03, 2023
sukkot:
very rare. Uk wages are notoriously low. If it wasn’t for the strength of the pound it would be a no go zone. Wages are poor. There are no job description that would pay you that much in the uk but if you have a skill and willing to hustle like for example doctors do locum. This is like hustling mercenary type work where you are sent anywhere everyday so you are unstable but you can get up to 250k. That’s the only job where you can clock 250k is locum consultant because those top IT jobs you can’t even make half of that

Where is Kadoso?

1 Like

Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by sukkot: 12:58am On Dec 03, 2023
Spandau:

Where is Kadoso?
bro who is kadoso?
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by sukkot: 1:01am On Dec 03, 2023
Spandau:

Shey I can't ask after my nigga ni? Shey I can't show concern again, abi? Where is Kadoso Mutairu aka seunmsg?🤪🤪🤪. You better use your Astral powers to locate him or else you go collect name wey no be yours o.🤪🤪🤪🤪
bro I don’t know that mane like that. I am familiar with the name but we don’t interact like that so am wondering why you are linking us ?
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by ottersberger(m): 1:05am On Dec 03, 2023
Cruise777:
Rent and utilities na the Koko, not food

Even homeless people get free food

Do homeless people in Nigeria also get free food?
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by sukkot: 1:06am On Dec 03, 2023
vivaciousvivi:

Bro, my rent was N550k per year at OPIC estate outside Lagos o. And then drive through that horrible traffic into the expressway daily to work. And that was because we formed bond with the landlord. The minute we told our landlord we were leaving, I got him a new tenant I met here on nairaland. Landlord jacked the rent for the guy to N1mn - 3 bed flat. The guy was telling me via WhatsApp. I swear! They finally agreed on N850k. Same compound, we pumped our water - which was basically clay and spend N4k to buy chemicals plus a small bag of alum every month to throw inside the tank on every pump. I kid you not.

My phcn bill with prepaid meter was N22k / month excluding previous gbese that accumulated after we paid for meter and they were still sending us inflated bills and this was then o. With some SERIOUS rationing. I swich off fridge and completely offloaded my freezer when I go to work. So I was paying crazy in naija for utilities I didn't even enjoy or had to provide for myself. let's not even talk of medicines when ill.

so you are saying 28000 per annum is a high amount for London ? Tax will bring that down to 21000. Rent of 1500 a month will bring that down to 3000. We have not factored in water light gas food transport tv license etc etc . You can’t afford to live in London if you are earning 28k . With that amount you will be sleeping in the library and taking your shower in a gym 😆😆😆😆
Re: See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10 by Artscollection: 1:08am On Dec 03, 2023
Possibly on sales!!! Actuall price is more than 10 pounds oga.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Animal We Killed During Night Hunting / Fisherman Catches A Shark In Bayelsa Community (Pictures) / I Found Cockroach Inside Food I Got From A Buka (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.