Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? (33404 Views)

About To JAPA - What Happens To Your Pension? / Anambra Airport Is Ready, Waiting For NCAA Approval For Commercial Flights / Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Waiting For Traffic Light To Turn Green In Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Geovanni412(m): 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Wow this is a very good and reasonably accurate Anti-Japa comment. Thanks a lot for putting it up.

I've lived in the USA for over 30 years. I've relocated back to Nigeria, re-migrated back to USA. I've observed children grow from birth to adulthood in both Nigeria and USA/UK, I've consorted with the poor and rich and I think I have a reasonable handle on the issues. To use the popular witticism, I've seen it all.

The major suppressing factor against wealth building for Nigerians living abroad is their financial commitments to Nigeria in general and their relatives in particular. The sad part of all this is that most people in Nigeria have a passionate hatred for any diasporan relative who is helping them. I've seen and experienced this personally over many years and generations. You can even get a sense of it on this Nairaland. You can smell the hatred and JEALOUSY. I could tell you some very terrible stories.

There was a close friend I once travelled with to Nigeria. He had $60K on his person, declared and everything. Ordinary worker, not involved in any fraud or crime. He got to Nigeria and gave the money to his brother who lives in Nigeria to hold, deposit or change to naira. Do you know that to this very moment I'm talking to you, he's not seen that money again. This was over 15 years ago. And that's not anywhere near the worst case I've personally witnessed.

There's a doctor that wanted to buy land, it was $70K. He saw the land and in the village, sometimes you go with your people to negotiate. Anyway, he paid and all that was left was the final ceremony called "iwa nnu", it may have different names among other Igbo clans. He went back to the USA and left his brother to do the rite.

When the day came, his brother told the seller the doctor was no longer interested. The seller returned the money and the doctor hasn't seen a dime of it till today. Me myself I couldn't actually believe the thing o, even till now. And the doctor, well he's a rich guy, he just laughs about it.

So my advice to diasporans, I preach it here to all the people in my social circle, is to leave Nigeria and Nigerians alone. At the most, build a small tiny house in the village or maybe the city if your (extended) family has no house at all. The ONLY time a diasporan should start putting money into Nigeria is when they have an annual income of at least $250K for a single person or $300K per family. Or have a net worth of over $500K.

The ONLY thing a diasporan should aim to do for relatives is to bring them to the USA or wherever they want to migrate to. Make it a priority, work on it desperately until it's done. Give them that credible choice to come and earn for themselves and if they feel Nigeria is better, good for them, that frees you from any dependency.

All those your claims of poverty for people abroad, well if that's what you feel that's fine. If Nigerians abroad are so poor, how do they remit $10 to $25 billion per year? Even the Nigerian Federal Government's total revenue in 2022 wasn't over $15 billion. That your uncle who spends enough money to transport 4 or 6 people to Nigeria, I hope he earns over $250K/yr? If he earns less, he's just foolish, not poor. I was once like him, so I kinda understand.

Right now it will cost him over $15K to make a holiday trip to Nigeria assuming one has to ship in a car and make other sundry preparations. Why not save that, add some more and put a down payment on a small house in America that can grow in value over time...instead of wasting it on a useless trip to go and spend dollars on jealous and hateful relatives in the village.

Anyway I've lived the reality and I know that Nigeria's title as the Poverty Capital of the World is well deserved.

Have a good day and Good Luck to Nigerians.

Deep quote but let me correct some misunderstanding

First, my Uncle brought his entire family...his kids are little and hadn't been to the village in a while

Secondly, he already had a good support system here. My pops helped him out and he has a fully furnished duplex here in Nigeria...he paid most of it and later on completed the payment in full.

Thirdly, the issue of remittance. Many drops in the ocean make a large pond. Another thing to consider is huge remittances can be made by few people, the same way you might look at contributions to a burial and notice that one or two people are carrying 20-50% of the cost.

Some of your stories about bad things happening to people

If we start, where we wan finish

A man gave his blood brother, money to build a house in the village for him. The guy spent the money, his brother, a medical professor sent. When the man came down to Nigeria, he met my father who is a civil engineer and the three of them were chilling in a room. He then asked his brother about the house and his brother told him that he gave my dad the money and construction was going smoothly.

Ah, my pops had to tell the Prof that he hadn't gotten any money from his brother and of he doubts it, they can travel from PH back to my village and check the site.

The man wan craze. It took him years to recover and when he did.

He built a house in the village and instructed that his fence should not touch the one of his younger brother even though the buildings are beside each other.

Truth is , when it comes to helping people from Nigeria

Chief, it is the same rule you apply whether you live in USA or you live in Nigeria.

You must tactically avoid some people and avoid stupid ventures.

It is even wise to not sponsor some of them abroad.

Back in 1998, my mother had like 62,000 naira and she gave her brother 50k because he wanted to travel to USA. My father who had more than that refused to contribute one Kobo because he deemed it a stupid venture.

Later, when the whole thing cast, my mother requested for her money back. This my uncle asked her, did I give you receipt? grin

If you no wan give person money, tell them you will think about it or you can adopt the format of snoring off as they are talking.

Nobody will help you as a rich man, when your money finishes.

4 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by XAUBulls: 4:52pm On Dec 13, 2023
sukkot:
ok my Chief, i remember that story. its sad. these people dont value human life. that girl gone just like that. well the good book does say to be absent in body is to be present with God so she is in a better place than the hells of killadelphia grin
Yup! Sukkot the Grandmaster of Lekki Peninsula and Prince of Ikd... Hells of killadelphia cheesy grin You had to coin that straight from your bag of humor... I didn't see that coming. Very apt humor. Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore, Houston... Those top places easily fit into the areas discerning folks have to beware of in terms of homicides.

But in reality, the cumulative number of folks of Nigerian descent that have passed on from vicious shootings or knife attacks (since over 20 years ago either in the U.S. or UK) has been on the upswing.

Your last sentence indeed summarizes the human experience in this present incarnation.
Gotta keep that in mind despite the pressures of everyday living.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by IbeOkehie: 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
Geovanni412:

First, my Uncle brought his entire family...his kids are little and hadn't been to the village in a while

Secondly, he already had a good support system here. My pops helped him out and he has a fully furnished duplex here in Nigeria...he paid most of it and later on completed the payment in full.

Thirdly, the issue of remittance. Many drops in the ocean make a large pond. Another thing to consider is huge remittances can be made by few people, the same way you might look at contributions to a burial and notice that one or two people are carrying 20-50% of the cost.

Yes, his entire family, I understand that. Today that would likely cost over $15K with the costs I referred to. Nobody with an income less than $250K/yr has any business with that kind of trip.

There's no support system in Nigeria for diasporans, 99.999% of the time money flows from the diasporan to the Nigerian based relatives.

I started my life working illegally in a restaurant. Within 6 months I sent $1500 home to pay off the money borrowed for my plane ticket. Then I started building house, paying siblings school fees and sending feeding money. My point is that remittances are a widespread thing from the poorest to the richest Nigerians in diaspora and I don't think it's as lopsided as you make it sound. I have a 26 year old cousin that migrated to London just this year, not even 6 months and he's already sending money home. I suspect you're Igbo so you'll understand the proverb that a poor man's chicken to him is like a rich man's cow.

Well me I've left Nigeria to those who want it. Let them have it all and enjoy it too and let me enjoy my 4th class slavery in the USA. I'm never going back to Nigeria, not even to retire UNLESS the minimum reforms for a free market society are implemented. Again like the Igbo say it....when the race is over we shall count the distance. I've seen it all and I believe I know what I'm on about.

Truth is , when it comes to helping people from Nigeria
Chief, it is the same rule you apply whether you live in USA or you live in Nigeria.
You must tactically avoid some people and avoid stupid ventures.

Very, very true. Thanks.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Mcslize: 5:31pm On Dec 13, 2023
JagabanB:

Combine ur fada's certificate and schooling together with urs and bring it, it won't match half of mine.

😅 No be me and you.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Geovanni412(m): 5:41pm On Dec 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Yes, his entire family, I understand that. Today that would likely cost over $15K with the costs I referred to. Nobody with an income less than $250K/yr has any business with that kind of trip.

There's no support system in Nigeria for diasporans, 99.999% of the time money flows from the diasporan to the Nigerian based relatives.

I started my life working illegally in a restaurant. Within 6 months I sent $1500 home to pay off the money borrowed for my plane ticket. Then I started building house, paying siblings school fees and sending feeding money. My point is that remittances are a widespread thing from the poorest to the richest Nigerians in diaspora and I don't think it's as lopsided as you make it sound. I have a 26 year old cousin that migrated to London just this year, not even 6 months and he's already sending money home. I suspect you're Igbo so you'll understand the proverb that a poor man's chicken to him is like a rich man's cow.

Well me I've left Nigeria to those who want it. Let them have it all and enjoy it too and let me enjoy my 4th class slavery in the USA. I'm never going back to Nigeria, not even to retire UNLESS the minimum reforms for a free market society are implemented. Again like the Igbo say it....when the race is over we shall count the miles. I've seen it all and I believe I know what I'm on about.

Very, very true. Thanks.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Well spoken, Chief

But you may want to reconsider your stance on support system and retiremeny

Considering how long you have stayed in the USA, you'll be entitled to social security retirement benefits as you get closer to retirement age

Don't you think it would be better to return to Nigeria around that time?

$1000 in USA may not be a lot

But in Nigeria, it will allow you to live like a King

And also, you wouldn't want to be moved to a nursing home even if you're 90 yrs old.

Won't it be better to enjoy it within the comfort of your home in Nigeria?

Think about it. Btw, I am Igbo, so I understand what you mean.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by virginboy1(m): 5:57pm On Dec 13, 2023
Insightful thread
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by YoshihideSuga: 6:15pm On Dec 13, 2023
Geovanni412:

Another uncle of mine, works as a nurse in UK, he doesn't have $20,000 in his bank acct, even though he has been working in the system for at least 7 years.

The money no easy like that...as you dey make am, bills and taxes dey chop am too , even with a decent job

A house in Azikiwe road in Aba costs a minimum of N 100m to buy, how many people do you know that japa that can boast of $80,000 in their acct.?

es but as a 9-5 worker, you'll probably enjoy more in Nigeria than in Uk.

Why would you have $80K lying in your account? It doesn't make any economic sense whatsoever! It's a terrible thing to do. Inflation will eat it up. Why not invest into the stock market or pay for down-payment for a house?

3 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by simongonner: 6:15pm On Dec 13, 2023
maternal:

I have the same experience. I have many friends who left Canada and went back after school. Instead of staying to get citizenship. They were the naija 4 life crowd. They'd even laugh at me saying I couldn't make it in naija. As for me, if a building is on fire and I escape it, why would I run back in ? Years go by and they were forming online pretending everything was good.

10 years later, those who were able to run back, all cameback to Canada. They had to borrow money to even afford their Japa back to Canada. Most couldn't afford it and live EVERYDAY with regrets. The ones who cameback have to start their hustle from the start. Meanwhile, me and the Mrs are comfortable with 2 properties (1 is being rented out), government jobs with job security and amazing benefits, Canadian passports, small pikin with an already bright future. My point is YOU CANNOT BUY BACK TIME. Don't waste your time forming naija 4 life. Always do what's in you and your families best interests. The ones who were fortunate to return cannot believe how they wasted 10 years of their lives going back to naija. Literally no progression in 10 years. Anyone who lives in a developed nation knows how much you can accomplish in 10 years.

The ones here who are against japa are mainly bitter and unhappy. You know the guy that couldn't get the babe. So he starts insulting her ? Trust me, give them a Canadian passport tomorrow, watch how fast They'd be on the next plane out.

You don't know how much your mental health is being affected in naija, until you move to sane country where everything works
gbam
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by IbeOkehie: 6:21pm On Dec 13, 2023
Geovanni412:

Well spoken, Chief

But you may want to reconsider your stance on support system and retiremeny

Considering how long you have stayed in the USA, you'll be entitled to social security retirement benefits as you get closer to retirement age

Don't you think it would be better to return to Nigeria around that time?

$1000 in USA may not be a lot

But in Nigeria, it will allow you to live like a King

And also, you wouldn't want to be moved to a nursing home even if you're 90 yrs old.

Won't it be better to enjoy it within the comfort of your home in Nigeria?

Think about it. Btw, I am Igbo, so I understand what you mean.

Mmmm, another topic. I've written extensively on this. Let me tell you that retiring in Nigeria is very dangerous for elderly diasporans. Let me show you a quote from this Nairaland to illustrate and give you a real life story to back it up.

sihamey:

Oga in conclusion make we all runaway from Nigeria and leave Boko Haram conquer the country or a white man will come develop Nigeria
No vex how many of your family members have you help to immigrants abroad
They way you see dead body on the Nigeria road it evidence you have been feeding with fake news on social media, remember social media are monetized so read any news at your Peru grin
If what you portrayed Nigeria to be them we all shouldn’t be alive in Nigerian by now talk more of thinking for migration. Move all your family members abroad them come back to advise us Shikina wink

Pay attention to the bolded. Do you see the implied threat?

I have THREE friends with parents retired in Nigeria, in fact one of them his parents actually lived and worked in the UK for decades before returning to Nigeria to retire.

The UK returnees were basically taken hostage by their extended family members. Not force or anything, but dozens of people basically moved into their home, eating & drinking everything in sight, driving their cars and extracting money from them. The son would call them on the phone and the relatives would be talking on behalf of the parents, telling my friend how much money to send and so on. When he complained they threatened his parents. He eventually had to move them here to the USA. By the way, this is a fairly prominent Nigerian family whose name is occasionally in the news.

The other one was a widow. Basically the same thing. But why am I going too far, my own mother in law was subjected to similar treatment. I brought her here to live with us.

There was a recent case in the news where an Akwa Ibom man living in the USA reported his mother in law was burned alive because she was accused of being a witch. You might have seen that in the news.

Do you know that retired returnees to Jamaica have a high murder rate? Google and see for yourself.

So that quote up there from @sihamey is a subtle hint of how Nigerians think. They must suppress you and drag you down even if it means through your loved ones.

Secondly, if you look over my comment history you will find where I've reported on a strong trend of rich older Nigerians coming to the USA to retire. Some of them are names you will recognize, former CBN governors, Army Colonel....lesser known Directors in the Federal Civil Service, significant real estate operators in Lagos. Two of these people moved his entire family here, including all his children and their spouses and their own children...his grandchildren.

This is my real name o, I'm not hiding anything. I'm from Nkwerre in Imo State. I'm not likely to retire to Nigeria, they can have it, I'm done. That whole Igbo thing of "aku ruo ulo" is nothing but emotional blackmail. I'm very likely to retire right here in my home. Nigerians are a wicked people, I will not put myself at that kind of risk. To each his own.

YoshihideSuga:

Why would you have $80K lying in your account? It doesn't make any economic sense whatsoever! It's a terrible thing to do. Inflation will eat it up. Why not invest into the stock market or pay for down-payment for a house?

I completely agree, but then the Anti-Japa gang will say that diasporans can't save $80K in the first place. My first home was priced at $130K and my down payment was $15K and I was earning $20/hr, I was 27 years old. Please leave them, talk too much now and they will say you're boasting.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Geovanni412(m): 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Mmmm, another topic. I've written extensively on this. Let me tell you that retiring in Nigeria is very dangerous for elderly diasporans. Let me show you a quote from this Nairaland to illustrate and give you a real life story to back it up.

Pay attention to the bolded. Do you see the implied threat?

I have THREE friends with parents retired in Nigeria, in fact one of them his parents actually lived and worked in the UK for decades before returning to Nigeria to retire.

The UK returnees were basically taken hostage by their extended family members. Not force or anything, but dozens of people basically moved into their home, eating & drinking everything in sight, driving their cars and extracting money from them. The son would call them on the phone and the relatives would be talking on behalf of the parents, telling my friend how much money to send and so on. When he complained they threatened his parents. He eventually had to move them here to the USA. By the way, this is a fairly prominent Nigerian family whose name is occasionally in the news.

The other one was a widow. Basically the same thing. But why am I going too far, my own mother in law was subjected to similar treatment. I brought her here to live with us.

There was a recent case in the news where an Akwa Ibom man living in the USA reported his mother in law was burned alive because she was accused of being a witch. You might have seen that in the news.

Do you know that retired returnees to Jamaica have a high murder rate? Google and see for yourself.

So that quote up there from @sihamey is a subtle hint of how Nigerians think. They must suppress you and drag you down even if it means through your loved ones.

Secondly, if you look over my comment history you will find where I've reported on a strong trend of rich older Nigerians coming to the USA to retire. Some of them are names you will recognize, former CBN governors, Army Colonel....lesser known Directors in the Federal Civil Service, significant real estate operators in Lagos. Two of these people moved his entire family here, including all his children and their spouses and their own children...his grandchildren.

This is my real name o, I'm not hiding anything. I'm from Nkwerre in Imo State. I'm not likely to retire to Nigeria, they can have it, I'm done. That whole Igbo thing of "aku ruo ulo" is nothing but emotional blackmail. I'm very likely to retire right here in my home. Nigerians are a wicked people, I will not put myself at that kind of risk. To each his own.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Well said, chief

What I understood is this ..

The relationship you have with people will determine if you can enjoy your stay if you return or not.

There are snubbish people, there are friendly people and there are concealed Snubbish people

Concealed Snubbish people have the best chance of dealing with greedy relatives and the rest

What do I mean....

For example: My father was given a heavy wedding list when he got married back in 1989. What did he do? He filed the list and kept it safely.

When his mother came back around 2002 asking him to buy stainless gas cooker for his younger sister's wedding. He went upstairs and brought the list of items from way back in 1989 to remind her of how she was taxing him rather than supporting his marriage.

She was shocked and said, you are mean, why would you keep such a list? cool

From the day he built his house till the day my grandmum died, her two feet never reached the kitchen or upstairs of the house.

Nigerian relatives can be mean. So, how you relate with them must be dependent on what they show you.

If you understand this, then ,it can be safe for you to return but if you are a good man who just thinks all will be well, it might be better like you suggested to stay put where you understand.

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by 1TrippleCee: 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Wow this is a very good and reasonably accurate Anti-Japa comment. Thanks a lot for putting it up.

I've lived in the USA for over 30 years. I've relocated back to Nigeria, re-migrated back to USA. I've observed children grow from birth to adulthood in both Nigeria and USA/UK, I've consorted with the poor and rich and I think I have a reasonable handle on the issues. To use the popular witticism, I've seen it all.

The major suppressing factor against wealth building for Nigerians living abroad is their financial commitments to Nigeria in general and their relatives in particular. The sad part of all this is that most people in Nigeria have a passionate hatred for any diasporan relative who is helping them. I've seen and experienced this personally over many years and generations. You can even get a sense of it on this Nairaland. You can smell the hatred and JEALOUSY. I could tell you some very terrible stories.

There was a close friend I once travelled with to Nigeria. He had $60K on his person, declared and everything. Ordinary worker, not involved in any fraud or crime. He got to Nigeria and gave the money to his brother who lives in Nigeria to hold, deposit or change to naira. Do you know that to this very moment I'm talking to you, he's not seen that money again. This was over 15 years ago. And that's not anywhere near the worst case I've personally witnessed.

There's a doctor that wanted to buy land, it was $70K. He saw the land and in the village, sometimes you go with your people to negotiate. Anyway, he paid and all that was left was the final ceremony called "iwa nnu", it may have different names among other Igbo clans. He went back to the USA and left his brother to do the rite.

When the day came, his brother told the seller the doctor was no longer interested. The seller returned the money and the doctor hasn't seen a dime of it till today. Me myself I couldn't actually believe the thing o, even till now. And the doctor, well he's a rich guy, he just laughs about it.

So my advice to diasporans, I preach it here to all the people in my social circle, is to leave Nigeria and Nigerians alone. At the most, build a small tiny house in the village or maybe the city if your (extended) family has no house at all. The ONLY time a diasporan should start putting money into Nigeria is when they have an annual income of at least $250K for a single person or $300K per family. Or have a net worth of over $500K.

The ONLY thing a diasporan should aim to do for relatives is to bring them to the USA or wherever they want to migrate to. Make it a priority, work on it desperately until it's done. Give them that credible choice to come and earn for themselves and if they feel Nigeria is better, good for them, that frees you from any dependency.

All those your claims of poverty for people abroad, well if that's what you feel that's fine. If Nigerians abroad are so poor, how do they remit $10 to $25 billion per year? Even the Nigerian Federal Government's total revenue in 2022 wasn't over $15 billion. That your uncle who spends enough money to transport 4 or 6 people to Nigeria, I hope he earns over $250K/yr? If he earns less, he's just foolish, not poor. I was once like him, so I kinda understand.

Right now it will cost him over $15K to make a holiday trip to Nigeria assuming one has to ship in a car and make other sundry preparations. Why not save that, add some more and put a down payment on a small house in America that can grow in value over time...instead of wasting it on a useless trip to go and spend dollars on jealous and hateful relatives in the village.

Anyway I've lived the reality and I know that Nigeria's title as the Poverty Capital of the World is well deserved.

With your lengthy gabs, would you ever take counsel or varied opinions once in a while?

You should talk less

This is absolutely false

The sad part of all this is that most people in Nigeria have a passionate hatred for any diasporan relative who is helping them. I've seen and experienced this personally over many years and generations. You can even get a sense of it on this Nairaland. You can smell the hatred and JEALOUSY. I could tell you some very terrible stories.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by IbeOkehie: 11:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
isArray:
This is why I laugh at Nigerians that say they don't want to japa they just want to make money in Nigeria and travel the world grin, even the elites have residency somewhere else should in case things turn upside down in Nigeria

tensazangetsu20:

It's coping mechanism. Travel the world on a Nigerian passport where you will need visa for almost every country lol. I remember telling my Spain from Spain that I will like to visit and she was like I should come to basque country where she's from and i was like I will need her to send me an invite so I can do a visa and she was like what's a visa. Girl has never seen a visa in her life before. grin grin grin

shocked grin shocked

They're really travelling the world. They fly in their dreams.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by JagabanB: 11:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
Mcslize:

😅 No be me and you.
U already know, sometimes know ur level.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 12:15am On Dec 14, 2023
IbeOkehie:

You made at least 2 references to living costs. There is a world middle class standard of living. I know I've listed the ingredients that contribute to that standard, public and private amenities inclusive. No matter the country, those standards are the same. For example, world middle class standard means having an indoor enclosed flush toilet. Any family not using one is NOT living at world middle class standard. Most humans beings PREFER to live at a minimum middle class standard.

Add to that, Nigeria has a VERY HIGH COST OF LIVING even in medium sized or 2nd tier localities like Calabar or Owerri. Just the cost of food alone in Nigeria is prohibitive. I lived in Nigeria as a relatively prosperous bachelor so I know. This has nothing to do with currency conversion but the ABILITY TO EARN THE MONEY to buy middle class goods and services. And some of the public amenities that contribute to middle class living standards are simply unavailable.

[b] There's a very strong desire to migrate from Nigeria and for very good reasons. [/b]How can a University graduate with expectations of at least a middle class life achieve it in a country where less than 0.5% of workers earn over $200 or ₦200K per month and a 50kg bag of rice is $50? The person who drives a car I left behind in Nigeria tells me it now costs over ₦50K to fill the tank. It's no wonder so many car owners are permanently parking their vehicles.

About the middle class standard of living, using such standards means the middle class in Nigeria no plenty o. But I continue to analyse these things using Nigerian standards. Once one uses a foreign standard, e go hard o.

About cost of living, there is what is PPP in economics. I am sure you know of it, so with that, the cost of living in certain cities/states outside Lagos, Abuja, Port-harcourt are livable on a 200K income. Someone earning 200K in Jalingo na big boy o. grin

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by grandstar(m): 12:27am On Dec 14, 2023
creativehubb:
The more you discredit Nigeria, the more you are discredited abroad.

Now Canada, UK increasing BTA, restricting Nigerians because of the way you people act like abroad is heaven...this is bad and it's only Nigerians that does this. Stay in your abroad, carry your families there. This is our country, everyone can not leave it and migrate, some prefer staying here. Stop acting like there is a serious crises in Nigeria, abroad is same as here, no free money.

I very much doubt it is the way Nigerians discredit Nigeria abroad is why countries are being restrictive.

It is ones conduct abroad that is the issue.

And how do you know it's only Nigerians that do this? Have you heard Haitians or Zimbabweans speak about their country? Or do you want to hear those from the Democratic Republic of Congo or South Sudan? There are countries worse than Nigeria and I have seen their citizens de-market their countries overseas.

What of people from Iraq or Syria? When I was in England some years back, I asked a Romanian working there how was her home country and she said it's nothing to write home about (forgive the pun)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by grandstar(m): 12:32am On Dec 14, 2023
Deleted
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by maternal: 1:00am On Dec 14, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I recently had a family house stolen. Parents house, who passed away. Before the dead body was in the ground, this relative found a way to sell off the house. We assumed he took a loan against the house. Took the money and ran. While the bank took over the house then sold it. It was by accident I found out as another family member asked why we sold the house.

Imagine. Someone who's mother died from child birth, but we trained and paid his school fees, food, literally everything. My mother took him as her child the day his mother died. It was actually God sent. We just sat down and started to laugh. The typical person who lives in naija is an idiot who only thinks of today. They think they're sharp, but they are really stupid.

We asked him to calculate how much money we sent him in the past, and how much money we planned to send him in the future. We were helping him with his Canadian papers. Paying for applications, hiring an immigration lawyer, etc. We told him after you chop the few million naira in a few years then what ? You're only in your early 30's. You better hope whichever "business" (aka an unemployed youth hoping something works out for them), you're getting into, it better work out.

It's when he realized what he did was penny smart, pound foolish. He then ran back and begged to pay the money back. We said it's ok, keep it. Go party and tell your guys how your family in Canada are stupid. It's amazing because we're officially done with our "African bill". Literally no more obligations to anyone there, and no real reason to ever go back. I still have people there, but they're not really my obligation. It's as if I paid off my mortgage.

I was able to relate to your post. Most people there are demons who'd kill you in a second for $1. They are extremely jealous of us who escaped that zoo.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by sukkot: 4:20am On Dec 14, 2023
XAUBulls:

Yup! Sukkot the Grandmaster of Lekki Peninsula and Prince of Ikd... Hells of killadelphia cheesy grin You had to coin that straight from your bag of humor... I didn't see that coming. Very apt humor. Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore, Houston... Those top places easily fit into the areas discerning folks have to beware of in terms of homicides.

But in reality, the cumulative number of folks of Nigerian descent that have passed on from vicious shootings or knife attacks (since over 20 years ago either in the U.S. or UK) has been on the upswing.

Your last sentence indeed summarizes the human experience in this present incarnation.
Gotta keep that in mind despite the pressures of everyday living.

hehe Chief truthfully there is a group from Philadelphia called THE ROOTS, it's a rap group and they do very great music and play live instruments. Well they always say they are from ILLADELPHIA which is slang for Philadelphia is ill , which means Philadelphia is dope. I just put the K In front of it to turn it to killadelphia which is very appropriate because many people get smoked in this city lmaoooo . Yeah you know our people think they are getting an upgrade in life when they relocate to these places but truly Babylon is falling and what they are doing is akin to integrating into a burning house so it's only right that some of our people would be caught in the crossfires. It is what it is. Symptoms and ills of a dying empire but hey let me jump into the fire and scoop up some dollars for myself and then BOOM, you out cold. It's a story of greed, restlessness, dissatisfaction, discontentment, you know, the typical naija mindset of trying to build huge treasures on earth, men and women running after earthly titles and always wanting to be validated. All folly. But hey it is what it is Chief. Lol. How is Austria ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by creativehubb: 6:14am On Dec 14, 2023
grandstar:

I very much doubt it is the way Nigerians discredit Nigeria abroad is why countries are being restrictive.

It is ones conduct abroad that is the issue.

And how do you know it's only Nigerians that do this? Have you heard Haitians or Zimbabweans speak about their country? Or do you want to hear those from the Democratic Republic of Congo or South Sudan? There are countries worse than Nigeria and I have seen their citizens de-market their countries overseas.

What of people from Iraq or Syria? When I was in England some years back, I asked a Romanian working there how was her home country and she said it's nothing to write home about (forgive the pun)
I tell you today it is the way we portray Nigeria online, like everyone wants to leave, it is one of the reasons of all these restrictions, the Japa hype...and of course the bad conduct play a role too. It makes no sense to discredit your country, because you are the image of your country, please let's be guided.

Those countries are bad, but I tell you Nigerians are worst in discrediting their country online, even those countries you mentioned, their citizens do not lambast their countries like Nigerians do. Go to YouTube, twitter, Facebook, it's Nigerians discrediting Nigeria, it's glary.

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by creativehubb: 6:19am On Dec 14, 2023
Topmaike007:
mumu na market monkey that's what you are ..is this present Nigeria better where a woman was arrested and jailed for condemning the killing of an innocent Christian girl Abeg no come here dey sweet talk Nigeria for where I dey abeg
You are a poor man, na your village people you go form for, abroad wey people dey go since 1900 mumu...keep tarnishing the image of Nigeria and see where it leads.

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Topmaike007(m): 6:54am On Dec 14, 2023
creativehubb:

You are a poor man, na your village people you go form for, abroad wey people dey go since 1900 mumu...keep tarnishing the image of Nigeria and see where it leads.
Mr man carry your mentality dey go Abeg.. you mean to tell me that many foreigners don't read news to see the evil things happening in this nation abeg carry your busy body dey go

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by XAUBulls: 10:15am On Dec 14, 2023
sukkot:
hehe Chief truthfully there is a group from Philadelphia called THE ROOTS, it's a rap group and they do very great music and play live instruments. Well they always say they are from ILLADELPHIA which is slang for Philadelphia is ill , which means Philadelphia is dope. I just put the K In front of it to turn it to killadelphia which is very appropriate because many people get smoked in this city lmaoooo .

Yeah you know our people think they are getting an upgrade in life when they relocate to these places but truly Babylon is falling and what they are doing is akin to integrating into a burning house so it's only right that some of our people would be caught in the crossfires. It is what it is. Symptoms and ills of a dying empire but hey let me jump into the fire and scoop up some dollars for myself and then BOOM, you out cold. It's a story of greed, restlessness, dissatisfaction, discontentment, you know, the typical naija mindset of trying to build huge treasures on earth, men and women running after earthly titles and always wanting to be validated. All folly. But hey it is what it is Chief. Lol. How is Austria ?
Very well said Sukkot... Nicely put.
All the things folks are struggling for in life via "japa" or "ja pada" are illusions ultimately because we are all actors and spectators in the the grand scheme of things. We just have to keep truckin' to satisfy the essential needs in our lives till the cycle of existence ends.

On the other hand, being a great lover of topical rap songs and hip-hop myself right from the early days of Grandmaster Flash, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, etc, in the 1980s, my take is that you def would have become an illest rapper and/or songwriter if you had towed that path too in addition to the medical line... "From Illadelphia to killadelphia"... Lol. cheesy grin

Much respect... Enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheers!

P.S.
The ROOTS was co-founded by Questlove in 1987.

For the Okayplayer platform and web television OkayAfrica TV, Questlove had his DNA tested in 2011 and genealogists researched his family ancestry. Questlove's DNA revealed from both of his biological parents that he is of West African descent, specifically the Mende people (found mostly in Sierra Leone as well as Guinea and Liberia).[13]

From the PBS television series, Finding Your Roots, hosted by Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., Questlove learned in December 2017 that he was descended in part from Charles and Maggie Lewis (both of Yoruba descent), his three times great-grandparents, who had been taken captive in warfare and sold as slaves in the port of Ouidah, Dahomey (now Benin) to American ship captain William Foster. They were among 110 slaves smuggled illegally to Mobile, Alabama, in July 1860 on the Clotilda. It was the last known slave ship to carry slaves to the United States. Questlove is the only guest to have appeared on Gates's program to be descended from slaves known by name, ship, and where they came from in Africa.[14][15]
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by aycorporat(m): 10:28am On Dec 14, 2023
kindlyheart:

I have the money, just the business that can guarantee me 50k monthly..
Why don't you invest in pepper business and get steady 100k monthly?

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by sukkot: 10:45am On Dec 14, 2023
XAUBulls:

Very well said Sukkot... Nicely put.
All the things folks are struggling for in life via "japa" or "ja pada" are illusions ultimately because we are all actors and spectators in the the grand scheme of things. We just have to keep truckin' to satisfy the essential needs in our lives till the cycle of existence ends.

On the other hand, being a great lover of topical rap songs and hip-hop myself right from the early days of Grandmaster Flash, Cool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, etc, in the 1980s, my take is that you def would have become an illest rapper and/or songwriter if you had towed that path too in addition to the medical line... "From Illadelphia to killadelphia"... Lol. cheesy grin

Much respect... Enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheers!
hehe but can we truck less and be content with the little till the cycle of life ends ? Or is that a life not fulfilled ? Lmaoooo these are musings of philosophical giants like Thoreaux

Hmmm me a rapper ? Lol. I do love old school rap though. It was awesome fun and funky. The world has gone dark and the rap today mirrors it. But I am sure the light will return as the demons are banished into the pit from whence they came cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by headboyprince(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2023
phadul:
Nigeria is a blessed country and still cheaper than 99.9 % countries around the world. There is no such thing as paradise out there. But seeing is believing. Be careful most that japa leave frying pan to fire
idioy cheaper than what. That you love Nigeria doesn't mean you tell cheap lies.. Everythi ng is ver here.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by creativehubb: 12:17pm On Dec 14, 2023
Topmaike007:
Mr man carry your mentality dey go Abeg.. you mean to tell me that many foreigners don't read news to see the evil things happening in this nation abeg carry your busy body dey go
Am specifically talking about japa syndrome, and how people abroad act like there is a crises in Nigeria and all Nigerians wants to escape...this is a big lie and a disservice to this nation. I don't see citizens of other nations abroad doing same, and Nigeria is not the worst nation in the world, what we are suffering from is criminal leaders.

Even if you are not in Nigeria, don't destroy it's image.

This misleading topic justifies my point.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by kindlyheart: 12:24pm On Dec 14, 2023
aycorporat:

Why don't you invest in pepper business and get steady 100k monthly?

Dry or fresh?
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by ThunderFireAgba: 12:40pm On Dec 14, 2023
online4business:

Find someone who speak the language that's how to learn a language.

Duringo or an apps like that can help but nothing beat face to face teaching.

Uganda passport no be here ooo them dey only give to people who have money.

You can't buy it Uganda no be Nigeria you can try ooo but it's hard.

Here's the short story

I received hard currency in my Uganda account so they called me.

Uganda dey fear terrorist and any odd transfer from $1k dey attract people from government especially if na black man.

I knew about it because me self get target.

So we do meeting asking what I want to do with the money and source of the money.

I carry lapi open am for their front show them my freelancing account, blog and Payoneer account.

Give them numbers and email of clients wey dey pay steady.

Use th excuses send my client say I go delay work oo because Uganda people fit call me or them... Good Albi

Next month I send another one again na so the money dey there them dey call me to come invest.

Wetin I do... Make demand give condition.

The thing be say I nova reach 6 months here but my daughter has been hear for 13 years and she speak their language.

Once I reach six months it's a walk in the park.

You never talk about the corruption there?
No be this Uganda wey I know abi na other one?
Ugandan passport(authentic) no go pass $300 if you're running it mafia way with immigration officer.
In all your doings there, don't get involved with the government. Use a trusted 3rd party or Mingle with Nigerian wey sabi in & out of the country especially our Igbo bros, dem get leg reach nook and cranny of ANY AFRICAN government.
Thirdly, No rush yourself for any reason. Make out time to adjust, learn and acquaint yourself with the society. Before it will turn to " had I known".
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by headboyprince(m): 1:53pm On Dec 14, 2023
creativehubb:

Am specifically talking about japa syndrome, and how people abroad act like there is a crises in Nigeria and all Nigerians wants to escape...this is a big lie and a disservice to this nation. I don't see citizens of other nations abroad doing same, and Nigeria is not the worst nation in the world, what we are suffering from is criminal leaders.

Even if you are not in Nigeria, don't destroy it's image.

This misleading topic justifies my point.
so people should wait till nigeria is the worst country on earth before leaving... they should wait till all countries close their borders from accepting nigerians.. is like saying if your neighborhood is beeing terriosed by robbers, you'll remain there as long as they dont get to your house... i pity people who think like you...

2 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by creativehubb: 2:32pm On Dec 14, 2023
headboyprince:
so people should wait till nigeria is the worst country on earth before leaving... they should wait till all countries close their borders from accepting nigerians.. is like saying if your neighborhood is beeing terriosed by robbers, you'll remain there as long as they dont get to your house... i pity people who think like you...
See how dumb you are, most of you travel abroad from village. Like I said, carry your family, extended family and friends abroad. You don't need to open such stupid threads. Some of you abroad are just slaving away, perpetuating modern day slavery.

Nigeria is still one of the best countries in Africa...dumb head.
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by aycorporat(m): 2:39pm On Dec 14, 2023
kindlyheart:

Dry or fresh?
Fresh
You can send me a mail for details

1 Like

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by online4business: 3:30pm On Dec 14, 2023
ThunderFireAgba:

You never talk about the corruption there?
No be this Uganda wey I know abi na other one?
Ugandan passport(authentic) no go pass $300 if you're running it mafia way with immigration officer.
In all your doings there, don't get involved with the government. Use a trusted 3rd party or Mingle with Nigerian wey sabi in & out of the country especially our Igbo bros, dem get leg reach nook and cranny of ANY AFRICAN government.
Thirdly, No rush yourself for any reason. Make out time to adjust, learn and acquaint yourself with the society. Before it will turn to " had I known".
I distance myself from igbo people as soon as I identify you.

I never want to do anything with a Nigerian struggling to make it in Uganda and most francophone country.

Them go call me ipob just know say I be kwale man wey sabi.

I don't want desperados around me.

I don travel to almost all Africa country I know how things work.

Your igbo brothers don cast for Rwanda and Kenya ooo.

What about Cyprus uwa bu popo men.

I stay Cyprus for how many years I see wetin igbo man fit do for money.

I Aviod Dem like the plague it you speak igbo for me I go speak a language I no say go hard for igbo man.

I go speak tiv or junku to you.

If you sabi that language then I speak calabar.

You go fear I make my money without stress why I go associate with person wey wan make an sharp sharp.

Akonuche ya gara zero use your Duncan when you dey out of Nigeria.

Ordinary Togo and other French country you know how many Nigerians dey jail for using forge doc.

Who no go no know... Eni to ba lomo.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Baggage Abandoned By Arik Air At A New York Airport. Photos / 1,000 Vehicles Trapped In Kaduna As Youths Barricade Road - Photos / Kano Motor Accident: Six Family Members, 12 Others Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.