Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,531 members, 7,812,649 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? (33316 Views)

About To JAPA - What Happens To Your Pension? / Anambra Airport Is Ready, Waiting For NCAA Approval For Commercial Flights / Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Waiting For Traffic Light To Turn Green In Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Validated: 12:38pm On Dec 11, 2023
If you have a good certification, still in your thirties or below 40, or even early forties, you are able to save up to N10m and have a child or two children and not a political actor or a clergy of a big church, may I ask, "What are you still waiting for"?

You see, 7 months ago, your N10m was about $22K. Now, it is only about $8590. However bad, it could still take you to UK, atleast. Then you can begin sorting your life. Even if you have a business, it will be eroded soon.
What the likes of GSK, P&G, Unilever, Suntory, etc are saw or are seeing and moving should give you signal that this train is headed to a total anarchy.

Even if you do not love yourself, for the sake of your family, move. There is no hope in the foreseeable horizon. I am not a doomsday prophet, but if you understand the times, you know that things are going to get worse.

10 years ago, I called a friend and advised him to come over to Canada. He said he is not going to another man's country to "slave". He would rather come and visit and enjoy holidays. Funny enough his subordinate took the initiative. His (surbordinate) wife got a scholarship and in two years he relocated and he and his family now lives big in Ontario.

Fastforward to 2023, my friend is now in his early-50s, he has lost his job, his tottering business is now almost moribund. No thanks to Tinubu's economic janglova. Now, he is asking me to help him and his family relocate. 4 adults (Him, his wife and 2 children). How?

My reply may be brutal abd unfair, "Bro, you are 10 years late". He is now franticky looking towards the UK, looking for buyers of his inheritance, but the Tories are locking the gate on Dec 31, 2023. Not sure if he can still make it across.

My advice, if you can leave this sinking ship, please do ASAP. Today, it is armed robbery and kidnapping. In few years, a reminisce of the 1000000 boys will resurface.

Someone is going to come here to preach that it is not rosy out there. Yes, at first it will be rough. With time you will get along, learn the system, culture, then boom, you will just know you made a bold move. Nigeria is not getting better soon. Atleast, not with the huge debts and dwindling revenues that is over 50% channelled to debt servicing. Not with over 45% budget deficits to be financed on loans. Not with low purchasing power of the populace. Not with this "owambe" government. Not when our oil production is already swapped for loans for next 5 years and steeply declining productivity.

No, not with a Tinubu that does not understand productivity.

186 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Validated: 12:40pm On Dec 11, 2023
One thing I advise though. If you have a house in Lagos, Abuja or PH, do not sell it. Atleast when you come back, you have a place to lay your head. That is if push goes to shove out there.

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by SmartPolician: 1:35pm On Dec 11, 2023
A vast majority of young Nigerians are struggling to get by and why they are still in Nigeria is that they don't have money to finance their overseas travel.

165 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by clearcrystal: 1:57pm On Dec 11, 2023
80% of Nigerian youth will japa if they have the means.
Nigeria is like a sinking ship with a confused captain.

173 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by kokoA(m): 2:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
You can go, japa is not for me..

67 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by ednut1(m): 2:38pm On Dec 11, 2023
There are 200m Nigerians with about half being youth. It is not realistic for everyone to japa. I have colleagues who also said they cant japa but of recent they are changing mouth. One in Chevron reached out to me, he wants to learn french for Canada express entry. The last time i came to Nigeria and visited him he was still anti japa. E go better

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:
There are 200m Nigerians with about half being youth. It is not realistic for everyone to japa. I have colleagues who also said they cant japa but of recent they are changing mouth. One in Chevron reached out to me, he wants to learn french for Canada express entry. The last time i came to Nigeria and visited him he was still anti japa. E go better

He can opt for an MBA (stem certified) in the US. Target the business schools in Texas. If he is really working with Chevron as a permanent staff, there is the option for company transfer and another route to relocate to the US. I understand the US immigration system is more convoluted than Canada, but for someone with that profile, there are other structured paths than going to Canada, which is increasingly tough and could change. Besides, the oil industry is booming in the US than in Canada. The Republicans would protect that sector compared to politicians in Canada.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by ednut1(m): 3:42pm On Dec 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

He can opt for an MBA (stem certified) in the US. Target the business schools in Texas. If he is really working with Chevron as a permanent staff, there is the option for company transfer and another route to relocate to the US. I understand the US immigration system is more convoluted than Canada, but for someone with that profile, there are other structured paths than going to Canada, which is increasingly tough and could change. Besides, the oil industry is booming in the US than in Canada. The Republicans would protect that sector compared to politicians in Canada.
lol no be chevron, but a similar company ( multinational too). The guy dey nairaland make e no go vex for me. MBA is expensive o. Almost 100k usd in some schools. According to the guy almost all his fellow colleagues have residency in western countries, they have moved their families. With this Tinubu economy his eyes opened never thought it could get worse

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by lastkingsman: 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:
lol no be chevron, but a similar company ( multinational too). The guy dey nairaland make e no go vex for me. MBA is expensive o. Almost 100k usd in some schools. According to the guy almost all his fellow colleagues have residency in western countries, they have moved their families. With this Tinubu economy his eyes opened never thought it could get worse

It was Buhari that destroyed and killed the economy, Tinubu is giving the economy a proper burial

152 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:40pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:

Bros you are lucky you made the move in that 2020 o. The points now are unattainable. Even studying in Canada doesn't guarantee PR like before. Here in Chile, they are voting on Sunday to change the constitution and immigration is one thing they want to change. In the Brazil thread, they mentioned that the embassy has stopped issuing visa till further notice. Going forward immigration will get insanely difficult. Even with money you can't go anywhere.

62 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by AfahaAbia(m): 4:45pm On Dec 11, 2023
Validated:
If you have a good certification, still in your thirties or below 40, or even early forties, you are able to save up to N10m and have a child or two children and not a political actor or a clergy of a big church, may I ask, "What are you still waiting for"?

You see, 7 months ago, your N10m was about $22K. Now, it is only about $8590. However bad, it could still take you to UK, atleast. Then you can begin sorting your life. Even if you have a business, it will be eroded soon.
What the likes of GSK, P&G, Unilever, Suntory, etc are saw or are seeing and moving should give you signal that this train is headed to a total anarchy.

Even if you do not love yourself, for the sake of your family, move. There is no hope in the foreseeable horizon. I am not a doomsday prophet, but if you understand the times, you know that things are going to get worse.

10 years ago, I called a friend and advised him to come over to Canada. He said he is not going to another man's country to "slave". He would rather come and visit and enjoy holidays. Funny enough his subordinate took the initiative. His (surbordinate) wife got a scholarship and in two years he relocated and he and his family now lives big in Ontario.

Fastforward to 2023, my friend is now in his early-50s, he has lost his job, his tottering business is now almost moribund. No thanks to Tinubu's economic janglova. Now, he is asking me to help him and his family relocate. 4 adults (Him, his wife and 2 children). How?

My reply may be brutal abd unfair, "Bro, you are 10 years late". He is now franticky looking towards the UK, looking for buyers of his inheritance, but the Tories are locking the gate on Dec 31, 2023. Not sure if he can still make it across.

My advice, if you can leave this sinking ship, please do ASAP. Today, it is armed robbery and kidnapping. In few years, a reminisce of the 1000000 boys will resurface.

Someone is going to come here to preach that it is not rosy out there. Yes, at first it will be rough. With time you will get along, learn the system, culture, then boom, you will just know you made a bold move. Nigeria is not getting better soon. Atleast, not with the huge debts and dwindling revenues that is over 50% channelled to debt servicing. Not with over 45% budget deficits to be financed on loans. Not with low purchasing power of the populace. Not with this "owambe" government. Not when our oil production is already swapped for loans for next 5 years and steeply declining productivity.

Japa na!! What's all this thread lately about Since 2015 the country has been sinking, is it now that you're seeing it? Japa of u want to Japa and stop rubbing it on people's face all the time

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by ednut1(m): 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Bros you are lucky you made the move in that 2020 o. The points now are unattainable. Even studying in Canada doesn't guarantee PR like before. Here in Chile, they are voting on Sunday to change the constitution and immigration is one thing they want to change. In the Brazil thread, they mentioned that the embassy has stopped issuing visa till further notice. Going forward immigration will get insanely difficult. Even with money you can't go anywhere.
i wrote IELTS 7 times, missed two IELTS exams before i could get the magic scores. My friend who was saying this thing is not do or die. Today dey find way to Japa , na only MBA dey for am but he says the money too much. Uk, Australia, Canada work /PR was an option for him that year.

Some year ago USA was giving visa lottery or visiting visa to Nigerians. Today e don cast. Canada self don dey lock door, UAE don lock door, UK don dey lock door. You self don enter Chile before them lock door hahahah

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:54pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:
i wrote IELTS 7 times, missed two IELTS exams before i could get the magic scores. My friend who was saying this thing is not do or die. Today dey find way to Japa , na only MBA dey for am but he says the money too much. Uk, Australia, Canada work /PR was an option for him that year.

Some year ago USA was giving visa lottery or visiting visa to Nigerians. Today e don cast. Canada self don dey lock door, UAE don lock door, UK don dey lock door. You self don enter Chile before them lock door hahahah

A russian woman came to give birth in chile but she didnt come on residency so they refused to give the child citizenship so she abandoned the child in chile and travelled back to russia. Now since the child is an orphan in Chile, they will have no option than to make the child a chilean. Its one of the major problems and they are voting regarding immigration on sunday. Chile is rewriting its whole constitution. As of last year sef, tech boys were getting work visa sponsorship to germany. Now even if you get a job in germany theres no appointment in the german embassy in Nigeria. Fucking insane.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 5:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

A russian woman came to give birth in chile but she didnt come on residency so they refused to give the child citizenship so she abandoned the child in chile and travelled back to russia. Now since the child is an orphan in Chile, they will have no option than to make the child a chilean. Its one of the major problems and they are voting regarding immigration on sunday. Chile is rewriting its whole constitution. As of last year sef, tech boys were getting work visa sponsorship to germany. Now even if you get a job in germany theres no appointment in the german embassy in Nigeria. Fucking insane.

One Agbadorian would call them German rejects if they opt for Chile. undecided

But seriously, no work visa appointment possibility? That is bad o.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

One Agbadorian would call them German rejects if they opt for Chile. undecided

But seriously, no work visa appointment possibility? That is bad o.

Bros there's none. Study visa appointment that was 16 months it's now 19 months. Marriage and reunion is more than a year. Which company will wait that long for you when there are others who can fly to Germany without visa and get their own permit processed for them while they are in the country

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 5:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:
MBA is expensive o. Almost 100k usd in some schools. According to the guy almost all his fellow colleagues have residency in western countries, they have moved their families. With this Tinubu economy his eyes opened never thought it could get worse

He should do company transfer. There is a demand for oil workers in the US. With the growing number of climate woke people who refuse to work for oil companies, competition no go plenty. I know an MBA is expensive, but those within the Texas area are not compared to the industry he targets (O&G), except na HSW him wan attend.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 5:11pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Bros there's none. Study visa appointment that was 16 months it's now 19 months. Marriage and reunion is more than a year. Which company will wait that long for you when there are others who can fly to Germany without visa and get their own permit processed for them while they are in the country

School don finish na. Wetin dem wan still go do for Germany? grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:14pm On Dec 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

School don finish na. Wetin dem wan still go do for Germany? grin

You get. Masters degree is 18 months everywhere. Person still dey Naija dey wait appointment o not even visa.

13 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by lastkingsman: 6:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Bros you are lucky you made the move in that 2020 o. The points now are unattainable. Even studying in Canada doesn't guarantee PR like before. Here in Chile, they are voting on Sunday to change the constitution and immigration is one thing they want to change. In the Brazil thread, they mentioned that the embassy has stopped issuing visa till further notice. Going forward immigration will get insanely difficult. Even with money you can't go anywhere .

I shall open Cambodia route changing my name to Emy Cambodia grin

3 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by lastkingsman: 6:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
ednut1:

Germany wey bless boys 2013-2019 don lock up

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:14pm On Dec 11, 2023
lastkingsman:

Germany wey bless boys 2013-2019 don lock up

Bros na that Germany own pain me pass lol. I apply for job for there sotey eh German begin grow for my head. E come cast for our time. The thing pain me. It was easy to get a job and they sponsor you until 2022 everything come cast. Every week you will see one tech colleague sponsored to Germany. I haven't seen anyone since a year now. Them pack boys like crazy. Andela boys especially them pack them.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by isArray: 6:59pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

This is why I laugh at Nigerians that say they don't want to japa they just want to make money in Nigeria and travel the world grin, even the elites have residency somewhere else should in case things turn upside down in Nigeria

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
isArray:
This is why I laugh at Nigerians that say they don't want to japa they just want to make money in Nigeria and travel the world grin, even the elites have residency somewhere else should in case things turn upside down in Nigeria

It's coping mechanism. Travel the world on a Nigerian passport where you will need visa for almost every country lol. I remember telling my Spain from Spain that I will like to visit and she was like I should come to basque country where she's from and i was like I will need her to send me an invite so I can do a visa and she was like what's a visa. Girl has never seen a visa in her life before. grin grin grin

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by isArray: 7:28pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

It's coping mechanism. Travel the world on a Nigerian passport where you will need visa for almost every country lol. I remember telling my Spain from Spain that I will like to visit and she was like I should come to basque country where she's from and i was like I will need her to send me an invite so I can do a visa and she was like what's a visa. Girl has never seen a visa in her life before. grin grin grin
Exactly grin, people buying the Carribean passports know what they are doing, imagine having to prepare a lot documents because you want to prove that you're not an illegal traveller grin and still get rejected

32 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:34pm On Dec 11, 2023
isArray:
Exactly grin, people buying the Carribean passports know what they are doing, imagine having to prepare a lot documents because you want to prove that you're not an illegal traveller grin and still get rejected

Remember that tech bros that was earning 30k usd a month. The first thing he did was to buy a carribean passport. Dude know wetin him eye don see

46 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by lastkingsman: 9:17pm On Dec 11, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Bros na that Germany own pain me pass lol. I apply for job for there sotey eh German begin grow for my head. E come cast for our time. The thing pain me. It was easy to get a job and they sponsor you until 2022 everything come cast. Every week you will see one tech colleague sponsored to Germany. I haven't seen anyone since a year now. Them pack boys like crazy. Andela boys especially them pack them

True talk. One came out recently to complain of job loss in DE. His stack is MERN. He has been working for like 3 yrs now
Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by pansophist(m): 10:33pm On Dec 11, 2023
Even to get dollars sef, come hard. I cant count the people that have asked me to pay for something in usd, so they dump naira to my account. I always ask them, wetin I wan use millions of naira do?

This decade is the worse decade for Nigeria. Even the decade of civil war no worse reach this one. At least back then, guys went to the UK without a visa and naira hard power.

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Kingray10: 12:24am On Dec 12, 2023
With all these you guys are saying, even with money person no fit Japa again. cry cry cry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gadafii: 2:39am On Dec 12, 2023
The situation of Nigerian is very pathetic, before this shiit hit the fan I have always wanted to travel out to Europe and experience another culture, not by crook means tho

Anytime I see that naija guy that’s always visiting European countries and documenting it I always pray for him to live long cos that’s exactly the type of life I want to live, but first you need to leave naija

A lot of things are made much more easier over there, the system works and is a bit sane especially in Europe, having access to visit countries by train or bus without fear of bandits, meeting new people and visiting sites just for the fun of it is a life worth living

I definitely want Nigeria to be better but I doubt if that’s gonna happen in the next 10 years wit the crop of leaders we have now, so if you can still move out legitimate do so if you have the means, establish a strong base over there and maybe can come in once in a while, my children must not experience the brutal reality I have witness in this country, part of the reason I no even Dey think marriage the next 4 years

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 5:11am On Dec 12, 2023
Validated:

While it is good to relocate, to be fair, there are people making money in Nigeria. I come across businesses receiving huge capital investments (in millions of dollars and not in tech o) to operate in Nigeria. Yes, there are also failing businesses; quite alright, but people are still making it in Nigeria. I think the sweet spot is having a strong passport of a developed country and being able to access Nigeria. That is what every Nigerian elite does. All have a second citizenship. None uses only the Nigerian passport. That is what your friend failed to consider.

Another issue is operating a business which sells to Nigerians. You don't expect cocoa exporters to japa. It makes no economic sense whatsoever. Those people are making blood money compared to their counterparts in Ivory Coast and Ghana, I tell you.

That said, how do you cope with mentions of the word "Validated" since it is your moniker. I am curious how Nairalanders with standard English words cope with mentions.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by Gerrard59(m): 5:18am On Dec 12, 2023
I explained in detail about Nigerian elites who have second passports: https://www.nairaland.com/7482300/importance-acquiring-second-passport-young#119276976

As you said, it is too late for your friend. What he should do is prepare the children to attend good schools in the US on scholarships. That should be his focus now instead of relocating unless a reputable firm in the West can employ him through a standard recruitment process. Which implies he should have the in-demand skills to ensure that is possible.

There are many good schools in the US, for instance, he can prep his children to apply to and yes, scholarships are surfeit to enable such to become a reality.

9 Likes

Re: Japa: What Are You Still Waiting For? by online4business: 6:05am On Dec 12, 2023
Why is everyone going to the US and UK it still boggle my mind.

Unhealthy foods plus big pharma push for drug for everyone should make anyone with means to stop going to the US or UK.

Why not country like Sweden or dermark...

Free country where sucralose potassium acesulfame and aspartame is banned.

If you're in the us do a small survey.

Call any of your friends and ask them of cancer rate... It's true the roof.

If friend Austin in Texas was complaining to me now that to shake people sef na wahala chemo treatment everywhere.

If you want to go abroad please find a country that big pharma is not indirectly controlling.

Here's how to know.

Check their election spending if big pharma is bankrolling the politicians like in US UK and new Zealand you're in for a shoker.

I dey Uganda dey live like the next messiah fresh food, clean unpolluted air and lots of sight seeing.

Citizenship sure for me next year... I wan use two stone kill one bed.

Get Uganda passport and Gambia passport.

Gambia has a program for investors willing to start business there.

Carpe Verde also has a money for citizenship deal but nothing dey there apart from their strong passport.

Ordinary to pass from Uganda to Rwanda (just like from Nigeria to Togo) dem go single you out once you flash your green passport.

If to say I no sabi the language of the military (Swahili) na so them go dey use me shine.

If you're coming to an African country make sure say you get something doing.

Here no be where them dey come hustle ooo.

35 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Lagos-Ibadan Train: Diesel Finally Arrives (Video) / Where Can I Legally Relocate To In 6 Months Time? / Tanker Explosion On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.