Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner (66742 Views)

"Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video / From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Blackdisciple(m): 7:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
As long as he is earning more than the bank job then he is good....
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by falopey: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

There are countless software engineers who left Nigeria for the US and worked as software engineers. They went via H1B visa. Others started working after school. What visa did you use to enter the US?
Ok you don’t seem to understand what I’m saying. Software engineers already passed certification which is international that made the marketable. Even if you are a doctor, with college degrees from Nigeria, you can’t start on the kind of job you left home. You have to pass their qualifications. . IT is global. So it’s different

2 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by IbeOkehie: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

If a bank manager leaves Nigeria to work in the US, the major routes are school and through NIW. For school, he would attend a good MBA program so he could replicate his role while in Nigeria. He had a high living standard in Nigeria and wants to replicate the same thing in the US. He is a human being. I know a man who worked in PwC Nigeria as a manager and moved to the US to do his MBA at an M7 b-school. Today, he works at a BoFA. Are you saying while in Nigeria as a manager at PwC Nigeria, a cleaner in the US had a higher standard of living than him? Why didn't he become a cleaner in the US?

cc: erico2k2 Any bank manager in Nigeria who wants to work in the UK will attend a good school for MBA: Imperial, Cambridge Jugdes, Oxford Said (an executive assistant to the CEO of Zenith Bank finished from there), Warwick, LBS, LSE and even Cranfield. His job after graduation from any of those schools would pay him FAR HIGHER than a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. I maintain my stance: a bank manager in Nigeria has a higher standard of living than a skyscraper cleaner in the UK.

Of course a bank manager in the UK might earn a lot more than a window cleaner, but we're talking about a bank manager in NIGERIA.

Then this is just curiosity - is PwC a bank or do they own a bank in Nigeria?

Good Luck to Nigerians!
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 7:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
Iamzik:

God bless you bro! Glad to see a few people that are not part of the groupthink going on here

Most of them have never worked in the bank as permanent staff or even applied to work there sef or have friends who work as permanent staff. No permanent banker moves from Nigeria to work as a cleaner in the UK. Contract staff? Possible. Permanent staff? Big Fat No.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Jewessgratitud3: 7:53pm On Dec 16, 2023
Adolfnigeria:
@Jewessgratitud3
Actually your comment is rubbish: full of false generalization - don-t be myopic. A lot of Nigerians cannot apply critical reasoning- see the amount of likes for such a myopic comment.

I Japa-d not because I could not get a job, but because I could not get one to pay me the money I wanted.

I was earning close to 1M in Nigeria. Due to a downturn the organization decided to lay off hundreds of staff.

I did a number of interviews and found that the scope to make this sort of money is slim in Nigeria. Given the Limited opportunities - not to mention the number of international firms leaving the country.

As grace, MY LORD and Protector, would have it I got a job over at least 4 x what i was earning in Nij. And everyday my money increases given the devaluation that is going on in Nigeria. Yes, and I make enough to save more than my monthly pay in Nigeria.

Apply critical reasoning, and don't be myopic.

Dey enjoy wetin you dey enjoy for Niaj.

For someone who claims to be doing well you sound so bitter Abi na the over earning dey make you dey abusive abi na the hard life? Dey deceive yourself.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 7:55pm On Dec 16, 2023
falopey:
Ok you don’t seem to understand what I’m saying. Software engineers already passed certification which is international that made the marketable. Even if you are a doctor, with college degrees from Nigeria, you can’t start on the kind of job you left home. You have to pass their qualifications. . IT is global. So it’s different

You started working as a dishwasher upon entry into the US. My point is, that your class of visa did it. No one who enters via a standard work visa begins to work as a dishwasher in the US. Nigerians don't qualify for the classes of visas which leads to dishwashing jobs. I have no issue with the job, but the narrative that no one can work in the same role as in Nigeria. That is possible, provided they followed the proper immigration routes.

A visit visa leads to dishwashing jobs. Anyone who does not want it should follow structured routes. We have to be honest, explicit and thorough when we put out information to the public.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by 2busy: 7:55pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care

Wrong reason to Japa for a bank manager.
When you have a good HMO that uses hospital like Reddington, Health care will not be a reason for a bank manager to Japa

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by YouAreFinished: 7:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
TOPCRUISE:
Depends on the pay and future oriented goals pertaining to himself and kids.

Average Bank manager salary in Nigeria: N11,000,000/ annum.
Average skyscraper salary in UK: £27,304/annum. Or N30,000,000 to N35,000,000

Do the maths.
Lol. The way you totally ignored cost of living which should be like 4x more than Nigeria.
I'd say the bank manager is actually earning more.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 7:59pm On Dec 16, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Of course a bank manager in the UK might earn a lot more than a window cleaner, but we're talking about a bank manager in NIGERIA.

Then this is just curiosity - is PwC a bank or do they own a bank in Nigeria?

Good Luck to Nigerians!

My stance has been on the belief that a bank manager in Nigeria has a lower standard of living compared to a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. I don't believe it for two reasons:

- Apples-to-oranges comparison. It should be cleaner in the UK to cleaner in Nigeria.
- Standard of living on a PPP basis. The bank manager in Nigeria is better off than the cleaner in the UK.

Obviously, a banker (regardless of the role and sector) in the UK outearns his counterpart (banker too) in Nigeria.

P.S. PwC is an audit firm with offices across the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by falopey: 7:59pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

You started working as a dishwasher upon entry into the US. My point is, that your class of visa did it. No one who enters via a standard work visa begins to work as a dishwasher in the US. Nigerians don't qualify for the classes of visas which leads to dishwashing jobs. I have no issue with the job, but the narrative that no one can work in the same role as in Nigeria. That is possible, provided they followed the proper immigration routes.

A visit visa leads to dishwashing jobs. Anyone who does not want it should follow structured routes. We have to be honest, explicit and thorough when we put out information to the public.

Work visa is not the only visa available. Student visa and family immigration visa will make you wash dishes if you don’t go back to school or before you complete school . Fact!!

I had African Americans washing dishes with me. Don’t think only immigrants wash dishes
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Kevineleven(m): 8:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
Bro they are paid between $33k to 34k annually, that's around 37 to 42 million naira.
How much is bank manger salary again..
Does this sound like devotion?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 8:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
YouAreFinished:

Lol. The way you totally ignored cost of living which should be like 4x more than Nigeria.
I'd say the bank manager is actually earning more.

Don't mind them. Just because the cleaner earns pounds DOES NOT make him better off than a bank manager (permanent staff o) in Nigeria. It should be cleaner to cleaner and banker to banker.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by bigiyaro(m): 8:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

I guess when he got there and saw the pile of bills staring him in the face he had no choice but to grab the next available job.

If you are gainfully employed in naija, you don't need to japa. Japa is for someone who has no hope of ever getting a job in Nigeria. He'll appreciate any kind of job he finds there.
try get sense abeg, with una worthless naira getting more worthless every day, after one year of cleaning skyscrapers, he can come back and buy the bank and change can still remain, you should also know that people also japa for the sake of thier kids, and many other reasons other than jobs.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 8:03pm On Dec 16, 2023
2busy:

Wrong reason to Japa for a bank manager.
When you have a good HMO that uses hospital like Reddington, Health care will not be a reason for a bank manager to Japa

Which is an even greater reason why the original topic is false. Never would a bank manager in Nigeria japa to become a cleaner in the UK.

Never!

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 8:06pm On Dec 16, 2023
falopey:

Work visa is not the only visa available. Student visa and family immigration visa will make you wash dishes if you don’t go back to school or before you complete school . Fact

A student visa is not a work visa. Students do their jobs everywhere. A family immigration visa is not a work visa, either. Someone who worked as a dishwasher while studying differs from someone who worked as a dishwasher on a work visa.

Please note the difference.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Menclothing: 8:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
Sunday2021:
is there a hospital in Nigeria? If yes, why is tinubu traveling to France and UK?
Where do gov of your state travel too when sick ?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Felixv: 8:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
The national average salary for a High rise window cleaner is £23,053 in United Kingdom.

Not enough to tempt many people
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 8:11pm On Dec 16, 2023
falopey:

Work visa is not the only visa available. Student visa and family immigration visa will make you wash dishes if you don’t go back to school or before you complete school . Fact!!

I had African Americans washing dishes with me. Don’t think only immigrants wash dishes

They are citizens. They can even push wheelbarrows, no one cares. My issue is not the job, but the visa. No one gets a work visa as a Nigerian to work as a dishwasher in the US. So when you said no one cannot work in the US directly from Nigeria, there are certain aspects that are not mentioned.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by falopey: 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

A student visa is not a work visa. Students do their jobs everywhere. A family immigration visa is not a work visa, either. Someone who worked as a dishwasher while studying differs from someone who worked as a dishwasher on a work visa.

Please note the difference.
Of course I know. I even had African Americans washing dishes with me because it’s their job. We operate gigantic industrial washing machine. What’s their visa type too😄😄
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by onyibest2k(m): 8:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
too much money
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Fujiyama: 8:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by MSN1(m): 8:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
MT:

Why do you guys talk this way?
because; thats the fact.
If u are close to a senior professor, ask him/her to tell u their salary.
I bet u don't know the cash, stress and frustration it takes to get to professor evel.
The first day my now late Senior Professor palli told me his salary, i almost weep for him.
That is the money my Dad that dropped out @ pry6 makes in one business trip (for 1 week).

How do u guys even compare variables sef?.

Comparing country where a whole doctors are living from hand to mouth with countries where common labourers are balling hard is insanity and to think u guys don't know, those guys struggled and sweated to make to make their countroes work.
So, u guys want to go there and work in big big offices, Does that makes sense 2 u, going to ride on peoples sweat?

Those doing menial jobs there, live comfortably but the mentality of get ALL at once of Nigerians is what is driving MOST of them nut.

How many level 10 civil servants here can afford to buy even common corolla here?, can that be said of saner climes where small workers get access to the good things in life?.

Please whenever you guys hear pipo moving to saner climes, JUST SAY CONGRATS AND WORK HARDER TO JOIN THEM.
IF U GUYS KNOW WHAT NIGERIA WILL BE IN COMING YEARS, UNA GO FEAR!.

--This country has been sold and anyone that handle the mantle; IS JUST THERE FOR HIS SHARE, IT TAKES COMMON SENSE TO KNOW THIS.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by IamAsiri: 8:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.

He probably just got that as a temp job pending the time he completes his certification exams. It's not really a big deal.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by olowoba2: 8:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
pquaver:

Have u added the allowances and the tax free allowance?
How mich is same in Nigeria?
It's not about whether it is the same in Nigeria. It's about comparing what he earns with respect to his cost of living in UK vs what he was earning as a bank manager with respect to cost of living in Nigeria.
A salary of 23,000 pounds even if you add allowances is peanuts in UK. You will basically be barely surviving with mounting bills. No full time Nigerian bank manager is barely surviving in Nigeria.
The UK government has just increased the minimum salary threshold for foreign skilled workers to 38,700 pounds, which tells you how low the salary is.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by olowoba2: 8:39pm On Dec 16, 2023
Crafteck1:
Before opening your dirty mouth to judge ask yourself how much is being made in both businesses, im sure the cleaning would make x3 or x5 of bank manager in naija, a legit bank manager without runs probably makes 400 to 600 here...

The cleaner there i believe makes 50k yearly on the average with enough time for other jobs, na to work 5 years and retire...
Not New York but UK. Read that OP's post well.
And a salary of USD 55K in New York is shit.ty.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by IamAsiri: 8:45pm On Dec 16, 2023
Menclothing:

So you don’t know there is standard HMO for a bank manager have u seen a sick bank manager begging for money to treat sickness

You are right! Though being a bank manager does not mean that you hold the level of a manager in the bank. A Banking Officer can be a bank manager in an average branch. Even an ABO can be a bank manager in a small branch.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by MSN1(m): 8:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
bigiyaro:
try get sense abeg, with una worthless naira getting more worthless every day, after one year of cleaning skyscrapers, he can come back and buy the bank and change can still remain, you should also know that people also japa for the sake of thier kids, and many other reasons other than jobs.
Leave those guys quoting nonsense.

Nigeria when they collapse everyday.
I sorry 4 pipo wen get millions as savings, i know a lot and i just see them as fools.
I know a guy that saves in raw dollars, he keeps the money at home, e dey change small small, when he broke.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by agabusta: 8:48pm On Dec 16, 2023
Tonytonex:
it's not about the work. Compare the salary as a bank manager here with the amount he's making there as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. Which is bigger?

It is not about the salary figures. Compare the amount of expenses here vs there.

How much is house rent on a monthly basis over there? How much is it here?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by justmondris: 8:48pm On Dec 16, 2023
The problem with most Nigerians is that out of pride, we value job titles more than the actual salary. We decided to criticize the man without even bothering to research how much he is currently earning. Let's compare both his previous and current salaries:

Monthly Salary of a bank branch manager in Nigeria: 241K - 2M Naira.
[Source:](https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/nigeria-branch-manager-salary-SRCH_IL.0,7_IN177_KO8,22.htm)

Note: Since he is a skyscraper cleaner, he falls into the high-rise window cleaner category:

Annual Salary of A High-Rise Window Cleaner in Canada: $31K - $41K
[Source:](https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salaries/high-rise-window-cleaner-salary-SRCH_KO0,24.htm)
Monthly salary = $31,000 / 12 = $2583
At the current exchange rate of 1200 per Naira, that's around 3,099,600 (3M+).

Can't you see he is even making more money?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Brendaniel: 8:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
AfahaAbia:

So working a shitty job is better You sound like an illiterate

What is a shitty job? and how does a literate sound?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by agabusta: 8:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
erico2k2:

Did I hear you say more money? bross he would make X 10 if not more i n a month
U r smart cool cool

You people should stop blanket conversion of take home pay in the UK to naira.

The circumstance are not same. The monthly house rent alone in the Uk is like 1 year house rent here. If you convert it.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Laple0541(m): 8:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
erico2k2:

yimu if you know how silly you sound you will reboot your phone, there is no immigration requirement to treat anyone in the UK if you suddenly fall ill, If you are ill you get treated first then asked questions later.If you have an accident on the road ambulance come to your location administer stability and take you to A7E then they stabilize and treat youthly dont give a damn if you are documented or not.I have said it B4, you lot have been so wronged and robbed of your rights now the wrong is now the norm, its a shte living I tell yah.There is no limit to what the NHS cover even Hip replacement is done on the NHS even sex change is done on the NHS

Look at this fool

Is accident which falls under emergency and falling ill and going to the hospital thesame? Even in Nigeria where things are not proper, emergencies are ought to be prioritized.

I say it categorically again, in US and Canada, there are aspects your so called healthcare package does not cover. For dental services for instance in Canada, you must have a private insurance to get that. It’s even worse in the State.

Instead of sounding foolish you can google to confirm even if you haven’t been there before.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria / From Truck Pusher To Sex Worker - Lady Celebrates Her 1 Year Achievement / Salary Package For Nigerian Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.