Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner (66656 Views)

"Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video / From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by erico2k2(m): 5:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

Does that apply to McKinsey's consultants in Nigeria? Does a skyscraper cleaner in the UK have a higher standard of living than someone working with KPMG Nigeria?

Do you know what it is to be a bank manager? Permanent staff o, not contract staff.
Bross the bank manager is meant to be a manager. Like any other manager. that's how its meant to be unless for the corruption in the banking sector and Nigeria in General. If not what's the average salary of a bank manager?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 5:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Bank branch managers in the USA don't earn a lot. That's something to think about. Is banking more profitable in Nigeria than in the USA? I don't know, but it would help to know that.

If a bank manager leaves Nigeria to work in the US, the major routes are school and through NIW. For school, he would attend a good MBA program so he could replicate his role while in Nigeria. He had a high living standard in Nigeria and wants to replicate the same thing in the US. He is a human being. I know a man who worked in PwC Nigeria as a manager and moved to the US to do his MBA at an M7 b-school. Today, he works at a BoFA. Are you saying while in Nigeria as a manager at PwC Nigeria, a cleaner in the US had a higher standard of living than him? Why didn't he become a cleaner in the US?

cc: erico2k2 Any bank manager in Nigeria who wants to work in the UK will attend a good school for MBA: Imperial, Cambridge Jugdes, Oxford Said (an executive assistant to the CEO of Zenith Bank finished from there), Warwick, LBS, LSE and even Cranfield. His job after graduation from any of those schools would pay him FAR HIGHER than a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. I maintain my stance: a bank manager in Nigeria has a higher standard of living than a skyscraper cleaner in the UK.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by nobilie: 5:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
Bank manager that his position in Naija may have been threatened by target, low performance (KPI) or he has been at a spot for too long. Note also that some japa cos of their children. When u need to give ur children good future, u go run ooooo.
Person wey don grow reach bank manager no be small person ooo. They take calculated risk.
He knows what he is doing.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mcslize: 5:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I'm only here because of you. And I totally disagree with your comment.

Even as a restaurant cook in the USA, I enjoyed a higher standard of living than a Nigerian bank manager of with say, 2 or 3 years in that job. I know because I knew a couple of branch managers in Aba and Owerri and another good friend while not a branch manager is almost there after 15 years experience.

Today nko? With the massive inflation and general anomie in Nigeria, even nyash cleaner in USA here lives better than a bank manager in Nigeria.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/high-rise-window-cleaner-salary/nc#:~:text=How%20much%20does%20a%20High,falls%20between%20%2439%2C082%20and%20%2456%2C751.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

I believe this Gerrard59 is not in Nigeria. I don't know. But he is fond of discouraging others. At least this is a first hand person who is living in the USA. This is not hearsay.

You are in Germany abi one country like that studying, being sponsored by your parents. I am referring to Gerartd59. But I have noticed, you have jumped on the anti-japa bandwagon ship.

You guys should get some sense abeg.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by santaclaws: 5:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
Omobalo67:

Dey play

Baba, na you gan gan dey play! How much do you think bank managers earn? A lot of them have several millions sitting in their accounts apart from the banking hustles they do by the side... Such people cannot travel abroad and start working as cleaners.

Don't believe everything you read online chief!
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by OyinboSweden: 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nothing wrong with honest labor. Over here a garbage collector can earn more than someone with a university degree, but as always people will look down upon them for not having social status.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by bolabizzle(m): 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
femi4:
He's making his bank salary in a week

Really? That's interesting.

And some slowpokes here have been quoting me unnecessarily, telling me that it is impossible for a bank manager to leave his job in Nigeria to become a skyscraper cleaner in the UK.

One ignoramus with the username Gerrard59 even thought I was lying and was asking me stupid questions like someone suffering from severe depression.

Oops, I think I've struck a nerve again.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Yankee101: 5:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
As of Dec 7, 2023, the average hourly pay for a High Rise Window Cleaning in the United States is $18.11 an hour.

Google
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Charlie2020(f): 5:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
And prolly earning > 100 times what he was earning in Naija . Also might be a temporary job
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Annahh(f): 5:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

I guess when he got there and saw the pile of bills staring him in the face he had no choice but to grab the next available job.

If you are gainfully employed in naija, you don't need to japa. Japa is for someone who has no hope of ever getting a job in Nigeria. He'll appreciate any kind of job he finds there.
I'm telling you, bank manager that was comfortable in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by nairalanda1(m): 5:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hmm, time for him to use his lemon to make lemonade.

One Igbo guy once japaed to UK..with the intention of reading medicine and being a doctor. (For those who know, entering medical school in UK is HARD for their citizens, talkless foreigners).

Unable to enter medical school, he became...an apprentice builder. Spent over ten years learning the tricks of the trade. When he felt he had learned enough, he bought a van, filled it with the tools of his new trade, shipped it to Lagos (where his brother was waiting to do clearance) and then bought a one way ticket to Nigeria....

When BBC caught up with him a few years later he was making it as a general contractor.

Na people like that I admire.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 5:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
Mcslize:

I believe this Gerrard59 is not in Nigeria. I don't know. But he is fond of discouraging others. At least this is a first hand person who is living in the USA. This is not hearsay.

You are in Germany abi one country like that studying, being sponsored by your parents. I am referring to Gerartd59. But I have noticed, you have jumped on the anti-japa bandwagon ship.

You guys should get some sense abeg.

Gerrard59:

If a bank manager leaves Nigeria to work in the US, the major routes are school and through NIW. For school, he would attend a good MBA program so he could replicate his role while in Nigeria. He had a high living standard in Nigeria and wants to replicate the same thing in the US. He is a human being. I know a man who worked in PwC Nigeria as a manager and moved to the US to do his MBA at an M7 b-school. Today, he works at a BoFA. Are you saying while in Nigeria as a manager at PwC Nigeria, a cleaner in the US had a higher standard of living than him? Why didn't he become a cleaner in the US?

cc: erico2.k2 Any bank manager in Nigeria who wants to work in the UK will attend a good school for MBA: Imperial, Cambridge Jugdes, Oxford Said (an executive assistant to the CEO of Zenith Bank finished from there), Warwick, LBS, LSE and even Cranfield. His job after graduation from any of those schools would pay him FAR HIGHER than a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. I maintain my stance: a bank manager in Nigeria has a higher standard of living than a skyscraper in the UK.

Because I did not write what makes you happy, I discourage people from departing Nigeria?! I doubt you have written extensively about immigration on Nairaland as much as I have. For starters, I am not here to make anyone happy. I write based on facts and sound logic. Why would I compare a bank manager in Nigeria to a cleaner in the UK? It makes no sense. If so, why not compare a KPMG audit staff to a cleaner in the UK? I think you people don't understand how the banking industry in Nigeria works. I am specific about permanent staff. My friends who work as bankers in Nigeria plan to relocate to the US via MBA programs, not to become cleaners, but investment bankers. So, does it mean a cleaner in the US is better off than a McKinsey consultant in Nigeria?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Panda7(m): 5:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?
to avoid public outcry he should have had a public LinkedIn account, as far as his employers knows he is not there for career advancement..
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Annahh(f): 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nazgul:
The question you should be asking is how much does a bank manager earn in Nigeria?

If you must know, no bank in Nigeria pays their branch managers up to N1m. On an average, they earn between 500-600k. (That's about $600 not pounds o)

A skyscraper window cleaner in the UK earns about £23,000. With that amount, you can live comfortably in the UK.

Aside the risks involved in the job, I won't say he made a bad choice.
ABO earns 500k, it depends on the grade of the manager, all these things are titles. Some managers grade are high, they earn 1.7m per month.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by erico2k2(m): 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

cc: erico2k2 Any bank manager in Nigeria who wants to work in the UK will attend a good school for MBA: Imperial, Cambridge Jugdes, Oxford Said (an executive assistant to the CEO of Zenith Bank finished from there), Warwick, LBS, LSE and even Cranfield. His job after graduation from any of those schools would pay him FAR HIGHER than a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. I maintain my stance: a bank manager in Nigeria has a higher standard of living than a skyscraper in the UK.
You do not have a clue of what a manager should be. You do not manage the Job, that's micromanaging you instead Manage people. I will use myself as an Example, I am a manger where I work and I have 11 supervisors who intern have 5 person on thier team at a time these are constant anything else is temp .Now we have 4 doctors on our team as the law requires us to do.I manage them all does that mean I now have to have a degree in medical science?I have Electrical Engineers on my team so as structural Engineers, Im only a Fluid Engineer so do I need to have an Elect Elect to manage those who are Electrical Engineers? Managing people is a whole different set of skills. A Hospital manager does not need to be a doctor. Sometimes yah lot need to chill and think outta the box

2 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by casualobserver: 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
aycorporat:

Thanks for this advice
I appreciate.

That means global certifications earned here in naija can be used to get jobs there

You could also look into remote IT jobs if you are having problems getting a visa. Where you can earn in forex and be in Nigeria….best of both worlds if you ask me. Could also help you relocate eventually by building your cv if you insist on japaing ( I am not an advocate of japaing but I understand for some it’s the only option)

You will have to do your own investigation on that but I know a few IT people in Nigeria do that. In fact I have friends who are Uk citizens and are technically based in the Uk but are actually remote working from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by IzRayl: 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
The man for go USA ,USA average na 45k dolls per year
TOPCRUISE:
Depends on the pay and future oriented goals pertaining to himself and kids.

Average Bank manager salary in Nigeria: N11,000,000/ annum.
Average skyscraper salary in UK: £27,304/annum. Or N30,000,000 to N35,000,000

Do the maths.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by erico2k2(m): 5:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
Annahh:
ABO earns 500k, it depends on the grade of the manager, all these things are titles. Some managers grade are high, they earn 1.7m per month.
WOnt you agree if I say teh Man who earns up to N1,5m a month as basic legal salary has an overhead of up to N800k in a month?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Earthquakes: 5:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.

This is very wrong and not true, the see worst professions to migrate with from Nigeria, banking job and judiciary system, first you don’t understand their currency and credit system. You will never get a job until you through their school system likewise judiciary. Skills like plumbing, driving, IT, health is what is needed because it is universal. But one thing is for sure, you will make more money than bank manager with your cleaning job

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 5:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Really? That's interesting.

And some slowpokes here have been quoting me unnecessarily, telling me that it is impossible for a bank manager to leave his job in Nigeria to become a skyscraper cleaner in the UK.

Oops, I think I've struck a nerve again.

Mention the name of the bank he worked while in Nigeria, his erstwhile position and the name of the skyscraper he cleans in the UK.

Yes, I insist it is impossible for a bank manager recruited as a permanent staff in Nigeria to work as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by overseasnbeyond: 5:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
Guess you don't know what you talking about?

How much do bank manager makes?

What job security does he have?

This man makes $18- $28 per hour with all safety measure in place.

What you think is hard is the easiest job for him.

Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

I guess when he got there and saw the pile of bills staring him in the face he had no choice but to grab the next available job.

If you are gainfully employed in naija, you don't need to japa. Japa is for someone who has no hope of ever getting a job in Nigeria. He'll appreciate any kind of job he finds there.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Earthquakes: 5:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
id4sho:
Very risky job but the pay go loud tongue

Na truck driving I go do if I enter Yankee

I know someone saving $1.5k monthly. He's jobs is a low level job

Not like I am making mouth but the least money I save every month is 4k$, my point is if you plan yourself very well, their is no comparison between naija and abroad

2 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by jojothaiv(m): 5:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
papyjaypaul:

That's one of the top paying jobs abroad because of the safety risk. To clean window no be small and if it makes you happy, good. Nigeria should let people be paid for their skills so unemployment can reduce. I wish Seun pays jobless people here to help the economy.

To those who always judge japa, many of you suffer from low self esteem. The land is green where you water the grass. If Naija bad for your eye, everything you do go bad, u no go see good thing there. Focus on your life wherever you are and stop wasting your time worrying about others.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 5:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
erico2k2:

You do not have a clue of waht a manager should be.You do not manage the Job, thats is micro managing you instead Manage people.I will use myself as an Example, I am a manger where I work and I have 11 supervisors who intern have 5 person on thier team at a time these are constant anything else is temp.Now we have 4 doctors on our team as the law requires us to do.I manage them all does that mean I now have to have a degree in medical science?I have Electrical Engineers on my team so as structural Engineers, Im only a Fluid Engineer so do I need to have an Elecect Elect to manage those who are Electrical Engineers?Managing people is a whole different set of skills.A Hospital manager does not need to be a doctor. Sometimes yah lot need to chill and think outta the box

That is why when they leave Nigeria, they attend MBA programs to work as proper managers in the abroad, not as cleaners. That is my point: no bank manager in Nigeria goes to the abroad to work as a cleaner. If that is the case, why don't managers in the Big4 go to the UK to work as cleaners?

P.S. Permanent staff, not contract staff.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by erico2k2(m): 5:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

That is why when they leave Nigeria, they attend MBA programs to work as proper managers in the abroad, not as cleaners. That is my point: no bank manager in Nigeria goes to the abroad to work as a cleaner. If that is the case, why don't managers in the Big4 go to the UK to work as cleaners?

P.S. Permanent staff, not contract staff.
They don't, they come under the skilled Migrant route. For you to be a manager you need UK work time experience not Degrees. The west believes in what you can do plus exirience not plenty degree and talk. If you do not know ask those who work abroad.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by id4sho(m): 5:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
Earthquakes:

Not like I am making mouth but the least money I save every month is 4k$, my point is if you plan yourself very well, their is no comparison between naija and abroad
Nice one, thumbs up
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Nazgul: 5:42pm On Dec 16, 2023
Annahh:
If the manager in question was in the grade that earns 1.7m per month, believe me, he wouldn't have left Nigeria.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by aycorporat(m): 5:43pm On Dec 16, 2023
casualobserver:

You could also look into remote IT jobs if you are having problems getting a visa. Where you can earn in forex and be in Nigeria….best of both worlds if you ask me. Could also help you relocate eventually by building your cv if you insist on japaing ( I am not an advocate of japaing but I understand for some it’s the only option)

You will have to do your own investigation on that but I know a few IT people in Nigeria do that. In fact I have friends who are Uk citizens and are technically based in the Uk but are actually remote working from Nigeria.

Another option to ponder on...
Sincerely the Nigerian system has frustrated young guys a lot sir especially if you do not have the right connections.
Even with the connections, the "connectee" will still want you to worship him as God.

Thanks sir.
This advice is "richly valuable '.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by CoronaVirusPro: 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin

No news!

Enter Amazon warehouse!

You will still find a Nigerian Surgeon, Engineer and the likes there!

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by TariDisemi300: 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
Y’all gather under the moonlight and tell dumb and fake stories.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by MT: 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care

Have you asked him what he pays to be able to access NHS?

Are you aware of the long waiting time for you to be treated for some ailments in the NHS?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by bolabizzle(m): 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

Mention the name of the bank he worked while in Nigeria, his erstwhile position and the name of the skyscraper he cleans in the UK.

Yes, I insist it is impossible for a bank manager recruited as a permanent staff in Nigeria to work as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK.

Go and sit-down or better still hug a transformer.

You must be a narcissist. Everything must operate in your world view and if it doesn't then it is impossible. What daft way of thinking.

It's your type we have littered all over various organizations in Nigeria, making the work environment a very bitter one to the point that people resign and leave the country to work for Organisations led by sane individuals.

Rubbish!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

How ASUU Strike Made Me The Richest Young Carpenter In Anambra - Nelson Emmanuel / Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria / From Truck Pusher To Sex Worker - Lady Celebrates Her 1 Year Achievement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.