Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,530 members, 7,826,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner (66826 Views)

"Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video / From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by MSN1(m): 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?
He has changed his story and that of his prosterity.
EXTREME smart move.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
olowoba2:

The national average salary for a High rise window cleaner is £23,053 in United Kingdom.
source: glassdoor
That's a shit.ty pay for a high risk job.

Thanks for educating him/her

It's a risky job that should pay 10x more but our people are too desperate to leave Nigeria
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by seguno2: 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

I guess when he got there and saw the pile of bills staring him in the face he had no choice but to grab the next available job.

If you are gainfully employed in naija, you don't need to japa. Japa is for someone who has no hope of ever getting a job in Nigeria. He'll appreciate any kind of job he finds there.

Well said.
Those who are gainfully employed should use their extra time to make their communities better.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mom007(f): 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
Wow, nice one... those guys don't earn minimum wage o. That's big money right there. May God keep him safe and bless his hustle.
Bank manager in Nigeria... undecided is that one an achievement? The way they work those people like dogs from Monday to Monday without rest, especially access bank... to cap it up, they will now sack you for flimsy reason and seize your entitlements! Shebi now those evil banks are reaping what they have sowed...
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 4:26pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

I understand you but you need to understand that just because a choice or decision is impossible to you doesn't make it impossible to others. People will not always see things the way you do and you have no right to judge or look down on them because you are not experiencing what they are facing.

Mumbo-jumbo! Your post is fake. Mention the name of the bank he worked in Nigeria, his erstwhile position and the name of the skyscraper he cleans in the UK.

You think we're in 2003 where you spew information sourced from your yansh and people believe hook, line and sinker?!

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by NairaMaster1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care

I think you're a child. Even as a Level 1 civil servant in Nigeria you have access to NHIS.

As a bank manager he has access to health.

The thing is that some of you think it's butter and bread out there. A lot of them are living like slaves. They are also regretting with shame to come back
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by aspabay(m): 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
If you know how much he earns, you Wil mind your business.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Jewessgratitud3: 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
seguno2:

Well said.
Those who are gainfully employed should use their extra time to make their communities better.

Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by aspabay(m): 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
How come anyone who leaves Nigeria for a seemingly odd job abroad, suddenly becomes former bank manager in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by bolabizzle(m): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

Mumbo-jumbo! Your post is fake. Mention the name of the bank he worked in Nigeria, his erstwhile position and the name of the skyscraper he cleans in the UK.

You think we're in 2003 where you spew information sourced from your yansh and people believe hook, line and sinker?!

You sound pained and frustrated.
Do you work in the bank?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by dettolgel: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
planetx:
Trust me deep inside they are not happy doing care work and factory work, basically two minimum wage jobs. A big step down from their position in NIG. Forget whatever lies they are telling you, deep inside they knew they fvcked up, they are consoling themselves with all that earning more because of exchange rate.

What about security, access to good education for children and health care? What about the possibility of paying for electricity and water and actually get them. Rather than paying for those and still run around to look for fuel for generator?

Instead of hanging on to useless title where your children future are not guaranteed why not take a title less job but the safety and future of your children are secure?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by SweetJoystick(m): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nazgul:
The question you should be asking is how much does a bank manager earn in Nigeria?

If you must know, no bank in Nigeria pays their branch managers up to N1m. On an average, they earn between 500-600k. (That's about $600 not pounds o)

A skyscraper window cleaner in the UK earns about £23,000. With that amount, you can live comfortably in the UK.

Aside the risks involved in the job, I won't say he made a bad choice.
You dey work for bank? Talk wetin you know
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by MSN1(m): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

I guess when he got there and saw the pile of bills staring him in the face he had no choice but to grab the next available job.

If you are gainfully employed in naija, you don't need to japa. Japa is for someone who has no hope of ever getting a job in Nigeria. He'll appreciate any kind of job he finds there.
I doubt if u know the difference between NOW and FUTURE!.

Yes, he's gonna pay bills, were u expecting to live a good and comfortable life for free?.

Oga what is the hope for someone earning a whole 3million monthly in naija? (Still from hand to mouth)
not to talk of, COMMON BANK MANAGER.
UNA WRONG ADVICE DEY SCARE ME EVERYTIME.
and to think it will keep getting worst in Naija is VERY insane.

Aside the political and highly connected class, everyother person dey problem.

Do u even know how poorly a whole Doctors and Professors are paid here, ABEG MAKE UNA DEY REASON.
See, that guy has secured himself and posterity, SAY CONGRATS TO HIM and move, rather than talking irrationally.

If u like don't secure yours, be there dreaming for a beta country that our fellow commoners have sold for a pot of beans.

In less than 10yrs, getting common student visa with lots of cash in Aza will be EXTREMELY difficult, because, a lot of people have seen the light and it would be too bad for those that have the means but refused to move.

Have a nice day.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mcslize: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
papyjaypaul:

That's one of the top paying jobs abroad because of the safety risk. To clean window no be small and if it makes you happy, good. Nigeria should let people be paid for their skills so unemployment can reduce. I wish Seun pays jobless people here to help the economy.

To those who always judge japa, many of you suffer from low self esteem. The land is green where you water the grass. If Naija bad for your eye, everything you do go bad, u no go see good thing there. Focus on your life wherever you are and stop wasting your time worrying about others.

Don't mind all these anti-japa folks. They reason like children.

How will they expect someone to just start working a white collar job immediately arriving another man's country?

The person might just be doing that momentarily to get by, while improving himself to get a professional job. Will he remain in that menial job forever without improving himself? A big NO. This is one aspect persons that speak agsinst japa don't think about.

People should understand that everyone must not have it on a soft landing. Some have it easy, while others will have it a bit rough until they get their desired job.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mcslize: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
Doing low skilled jobs for some is just to get by while working towards something better.
You guys should stop all these unnecessary comparisons.

The fact you guys should know is that, such a person won't remain in that menial job forever. Most it will take him is 3-4 years or even less, and he will become stable.

Now ask yourself, you that is in Nigeria, how many things have you achieved for the past 3 years? So, you see?

You guys should stop taking panadols for headaches of those living abroad.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by WhisperedNoise: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
papyjaypaul:

That's one of the top paying jobs abroad because of the safety risk. To clean window no be small and if it makes you happy, good. Nigeria should let people be paid for their skills so unemployment can reduce. I wish Seun pays jobless people here to help the economy.

To those who always judge japa, many of you suffer from low self esteem. The land is green where you water the grass. If Naija bad for your eye, everything you do go bad, u no go see good thing there. Focus on your life wherever you are and stop wasting your time worrying about others.
Very well said. You honestly captured my thoughts. Kudos chief.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
ashjay001:

Fortunately, he's earning more. Though, a more physical job.
2 of my friends too.
1 a bank manager too, in a major location, is doing care job. Currently earns more than he ever did as a bank worker and has more access to a soft life.

The 2nd one worked for an international organization. Big boy life in Naija. Now a factory worker but actually earns more than he ever did. Kids education is more quality than what he was getting in Nigeria, even with the high school fees he was paying. 400k/kid.
As long as they're coping, God speed

What do you mean by "earn more"? Does he pay his bills in dollars or naira?

How long will he need to work that factory job to pay off a home mortgage?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Jewessgratitud3: 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
MSN1:

I doubt if u know the difference between NOW and FUTURE!.

Yes, he's gonna pay bills, were u expecting to live a good and comfortable life for free?.

Oga what is the hope for someone earning even 3million monthly in naija?
and to think it will keep getting worst is VERY insane.

See, that guy has secured himself and prosterity, SAY CONGRATS TO HIM and move, rather than talking irrationally.

Ok. Congratulations to him but why is the poster now comparing his job then and now? By the way that was what me I reacted to.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by hkidola00(m): 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
the risk in this job is death
Nazgul:
The question you should be asking is how much does a bank manager earn in Nigeria?

If you must know, no bank in Nigeria pays their branch managers up to N1m. On an average, they earn between 500-600k. (That's about $600 not pounds o)

A skyscraper window cleaner in the UK earns about £23,000. With that amount, you can live comfortably in the UK.

Aside the risks involved in the job, I won't say he made a bad choice.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by InvertedHammer: 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?
/
Where will he be in the next 5 years? That's what counts.
Imagine if this man is in UK and the family is in Nigeria.
No bank manager in Nigeria can match his monthly remittance to take care of his family.

Initially people travelled abroad to raise funds until insecurity made Nigeria almost uninhabitable.
Economic hardship? Nigeria has always been a country of hardship. Sorry to tell you, for as long as
you live, it will be the same complaints and hardship in Nigeria.

If you listen to Fela's songs back in the 70s, you will think that he is singing about the present day Nigeria--
bad leadership, fuel price, electricity, police/military brutality, bribery and corruption, bad roads--the same problems 40+ years later.
Every generation grew up hoping for a better Nigeria but died without seeing the actualization of that fantasy.

As deceptive as OBJ turned out, people thought GEJ was bad, Buhari turned out worse and now Tinubu is worst so far.
Whoever comes after Tinubu is expected to nail the coffin fianlly. That's the trajectory of Nigeria. You may elect to live in
denial but facts don't care about feelings.

Worst case scenario, a hustler will show up as a pastor or man of God and extort the remaining money in your account
wtih false hope and phantom prophecies. At the end, it is all fugazi.

/

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Goalnaldo(m): 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

it's not about been gainfully employed. Your life could still be messed up despite your billions. I used to be against this japa of a thing but after I read a story on X about a man who was kidnapped twice in Abuja, raped anally, watched his wife and 9 year old been raped, I now understand why our country may never be better. In fact all my life I've never read a sadder story. Everyone in that thread was heartbroken.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Sunday2021: 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
Menclothing:

So you don’t know there is standard HMO for a bank manager have u seen a sick bank manager begging for money to treat sickness
is there a hospital in Nigeria? If yes, why is tinubu traveling to France and UK?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Error401: 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
Do you know how much it costs to run an MBA in London? MBA tuition for most schools in London is not less than 30K GBP. Thats about 45 million Naira only in tuition.
Are you saying that because you earn in Naira, spend in Naira, you do not save in Naira? People who relocated to these countries dont do so permanently.
Most Immigrants do not have the best standard of living, they do not relocate to the UK to live like Dangote. Most people relocate to have a better purchasing power back home. Most of the investments in nigeria are owned by Nigerians in Diaspora, does it mean they live the best life wherever they are?
Again, no matter where you live as an immigrant, your investments are in Naira else you promised yourself not to return home

Gerrard59:

A bank manager out-earns a skyscraper cleaner in the UK, judging from PPP. The comparison is an apple-to-orange comparison. Hence, it is senseless. That is why the original post is false. A bank manager in Nigeria, if he decides to attend school, runs an MBA at London Business School and becomes an investment banker or management consultant. LBS does not admit people who eventually become skyscraper cleaners.

Again, your cleaner spends in pounds, not naira. And should he decide to send remittances instead of improving his income, he is bound to be poorer in the UK. Read about the black tax.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
erico2k2:

I agree, but cos of knowledge of how pensioneers are not paid in Nigeria that HMO is dead as it is applied for!

HMO is is dead? Lmao grin grin grin

Just say you don't have access to it
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Kaysalas(m): 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Pristine664:

Lol we can see the way you are balling on social media. grin
grin, so na d bingo be dat? Abeg, how did you find "it" out?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mcslize: 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.

You are right. This is no doubt a fake story in its entirety. They always look for pictures online and fabricate negative imaginative stories about japa. It's all obvious.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Omookunnimi(m): 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
All this japa syndrome is about second colonisation of Africans by the white men. The difference is that while the white men came to African to colonized us. The second one is that Africans are moving in drove to the white man land to be colonize. In the first colonisation, the white men carried away our golds, art works and minerals, used them to developed their land. In the second colonisation, the black man are rushing to the white man land to develop their land for them through their wealth of experience and talents living Africa undeveloped. Who will save Africa from the hands of the Western while?

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by BigDawsNet: 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
If he earns an average of 23k per annum - 20% tax He has 18k left, transport, accommodation and feeding takes 8k, accommodation is only about 500GBP depending on location and could be shared.
All in all, he should have 10k left as savings annually, and thats 15m, a chance to citizenship and an opportunity to apply for jobs in his field that could shoot up to 50k GBP.
Easier Canada and USA application. The benefits are endless

Transportation, accommodation, feeding? What about other utilities and bills? Abi you don't know how Taxes works in the UK... cus I'm pretty sure ur analysis will only workout for a student
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Jewessgratitud3: 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2023
Goalnaldo:
it's not about been gainfully employed. Your life could still be messed up despite your billions. I used to be against this japa of a thing but after I read a story on X about a man who was kidnapped twice in Abuja, raped anally, watched his wife and 9 year old been raped, I now understand why our country may never be better. In fact all my life I've never read a sadder story. Everyone in that thread was heartbroken.

Im not against Japa. I only commented according to the post. The poster was comparing the nature of both jobs and I was saying if he didn't want that kind of job, he should have stayed back and continued his cool job here.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Quebec91(m): 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2023
You said it all bro! You smart🧠
Jewessgratitud3:
Soft life to hard life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by LalastiklaIa(m): 4:40pm On Dec 16, 2023
id4sho:
Very risky job but the pay go loud tongue

Na truck driving I go do if I enter Yankee

I know someone saving $1.5k monthly. He's jobs is a low level job

Just 1.5 million naira not worth the stress abeg undecided

Some people are doing normal soft work here in Nigeria earning 3 million per month and saving that same $1.5k monthly. While that one over there has to work 3 jobs to keep up
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Psoul(m): 4:40pm On Dec 16, 2023
I didn't see anything wrong with his moves.
He works with better facilities.
His life is insured.
He may not be making so much money as when he was in Nigeria.
But he may not be facing much risks there as he may be facing while in the Bank in Nigeria.
At long run, he may become richer than he would have bn if he continued with his banking job in Nigeria.

He just need to focus, add more educational qualifications to himself and he may see himself topping expectations.
Uk is all about more degrees, more money and more you are bn sought for so long as u know what u are doing in that field.

Banking job that you will always be afraid of armed robbers invading ur bank and even kill u.

I know a man that was one of the top Ogas in a transport and Courier company.
He left the job and traveled to the US to become a truck driver.
Truck drivers are paid well in the US.
Now the man is a very rich man and can even employ some of the top ogas he was working with then in Nigeria.

The man's decision may not sit well with you, but if he is comfortable with it, then let him be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

From Truck Pusher To Sex Worker - Lady Celebrates Her 1 Year Achievement / ‘I Rely On Sex Work To Survive,’ - Policewoman / Salary Package For Nigerian Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.