Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,918 members, 7,810,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil (20007 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups / What Happens If We Boil An Egg With Oil Instead Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 8:31am On Dec 29, 2023
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Nbote(m): 8:41am On Dec 29, 2023
Why will u want to cook food with oil processed from red oil??

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by ahnie: 8:49am On Dec 29, 2023
This is a new flex...Guess our mind has been conditioned right from birth that it's a must we cook our soups with olly red oil.

I find it utmost difficult using groundnut oil to make stew,I always use redoil.

This is the reason if I want to eat rice outside,I 'll always opt for ofea-kwu as against groundnut oil stew.

I understand your point on this!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 8:51am On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:

Can I use groundnut oil instead of red oil for soup?..... of course with other ingredients
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 8:58am On Dec 29, 2023
ahnie:
This is a new flex...Guess our mind has been conditioned right from birth that it's a must we cook our soups with olly red oil.

I find it utmost difficult using groundnut oil to make stew,I always use redoil.

This is the reason if I want to eat rice outside,I 'll always opt for ofea-kwu as against groundnut oil stew.

I understand your point on this!

Interesting. Lol.
I like the redoil stew but I just prefer groundnut oil

I believe you'll love groundnut oil stew just that you prefer the red oil type.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Iceberg3: 8:59am On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc
Oga leave this matter for madam,nahhh,haba!!!!
Biko,leave that kitchen with madam and busy yaself with something else,2024 is here already!

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Smitaro100(m): 9:01am On Dec 29, 2023
Wow! Nice invention.. next time try using kai kai to cook egusi soup, taste better.🤨

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Iceberg3: 9:04am On Dec 29, 2023
My elder sister once made the egusi with groundnut oil and I couldn't take it..it was bam but the sight of whiteness and no red ruined it for me.

Omo wen I complained,she mad nor be small grin

That was the day that I learnt that two things never to tell a woman are "she nor fine and her food nor sweet".

grin

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by ahnie: 9:05am On Dec 29, 2023
No right from time I don't like groundnut oil stew
GenderMix:

Interesting. Lol.
I like the redoil stew but I just prefer groundnut oil

I believe you'll love groundnut oil stew just that you prefer the red oil type.
My household yaff accepted their fate

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by We4all: 9:24am On Dec 29, 2023
You can actually use your vegetable oil to prepare egusi/vegetables and use tomatoes to add some color to it. Some people even prefer to eat white okro, so you are on point with that. The only problem is, I think palm oil is healthier than groundnut/vegetable oil.

22 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Tallesty1(m): 9:43am On Dec 29, 2023
We4all:
You can actually use your vegetable oil to prepare egusi/vegetables and use tomatoes to add some color to it. Some people even prefer to eat white okro, so you are on point with that. The only problem is, I think palm oil is healthier than groundnut/vegetable oil.
Unah just like unnecessary stress.

First you use veg oil then you start looking for a coloring agent when you can easily use the fvcking red oil.

Naija no dey stress unah enough?

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Free2Fly: 9:54am On Dec 29, 2023
Iceberg3:

Oga leave this matter for madam,nahhh,haba!!!!
Biko,leave that kitchen with madam and busy yaself with something else,2024 is here already!

He's talking about reducing his cholesterol level, which is very high in palm oil because of its hight content of palmitic acid, and you're talking about him getting busy with something else.
What is that something that's more important that his health??

Don't get involved in these you don't understand or care about.

Do you know what cholesterol is? Do you know its relationship with heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases? Have you ever checked your own before?
Typical ignorant Nigerian.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Iceberg3: 9:57am On Dec 29, 2023
Free2Fly:

He's talking about reducing his cholesterol level, which is very high in palm oil because of its hight content of palmitic acid, and you're talking about him getting busy with something else.
What is that something that's more important that his health??

Don't get involved in these you don't understand or care about.

Do you know what cholesterol is? Do you know its relationship with heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases? Have you ever checked your own before?
Typical ignorant Nigerian.

Be a good boy and fkOFF,thanks a lot

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Free2Fly: 10:02am On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

You can use any of the vegetable oils(groundnut oil, olive oil, etc) in place of palm oil for any food you want to prepare.

In fact, that's what's is being used abroad. No one uses palm oil, except Nigerians who traveled with it because of their traditional link with it.

Palm oil is has a high content of palmitic acid(saturated fat) and is less healthy compared to groundnut and olive oils(which have high concentrations of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats).

As you are concerned about your cholesterol levels, you need to avoid it as much as you can.
Don't listen to these unenlightened Nigerians who prefer to use olive oil for miracles instead of cooking for which it's primarily meant for.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Free2Fly: 10:04am On Dec 29, 2023
Iceberg3:

Be a good boy and fkOFF,thanks a lot

As your father and elder, i won't be here and allow you to spread rubbish as information.

Run back to your mother's room right now

6 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Iceberg3: 10:06am On Dec 29, 2023
Free2Fly:

As your father and elder, i won't be here and allow you to spread rubbish as information.

Run back to your mother's room right now
After you,thanks
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by fyzaila: 2:24pm On Dec 29, 2023
Hmmm i am learning new things o, so all those our fore fathers and mothers that used and used palm oil to cook and medicine as well aren't they more healthy than we that have been introduced to Groundnut oil. I still don't know how Groundnut oil is more healthy than palm oil. Probably they're researched on the fake palm oil.

10 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by JuanDeDios: 2:34pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Someone is giving you BAD advice. For health-conscious people, there are only three oils for cooking:
1. Coconut oil
2. Olive oil
3. Palm oil

Vegetable oils (the one you're calling "groundnut oil" ) go through production processes that make them very very unhealthy. Everything they've told you about cholesterol is wrong. I can't go into it in detail now, but read up.

You can eat butter and ghee too, but RUN from margarine!

27 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Sonnobax15(m): 2:35pm On Dec 29, 2023
lipsrsealed
Every man should his/her goal post......

Oga,leave cooking for your madam.

Any ways,man gat bigger problem to face at this moment....So best wishes to you..
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by goldensmiles: 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nothing we no go see for naija
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Wealthoptulent(m): 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Ulunne777(f): 2:37pm On Dec 29, 2023
And who advised you that the seed oil also known as vegetable/groundnut oil is healthier for you?
Palm oil is way better .
If you intend to go the healthier route,use the fat from your meat or the oil in Egusi itself.

Again Palm oil is better and healthier than "g.oil*. ITS IN QUOTES because THERE'S NOTHING GROUNDNUTY ABOUT THAT SCAM PROCESSED OIL SOLD IN NIGERIA.Don't be deceived.

Western media deceiving you ppl the same way they deceive you ppl that cow milk is better for your baby than breast milk. grin

9 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by chefremy(m): 2:37pm On Dec 29, 2023
I use both though
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by IamDora(f): 2:37pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Egusi soup with Groundnut oil? People dey eat things oo. Nawa

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by tuclap(m): 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:

Can I use groundnut oil instead of red oil for soup?..... of course with other ingredients

Ogah use red oil for your soup because that is the general standard. You can use other oil within the family
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by ppogba: 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2023
Please indicate your sex first for us to advise accordingly.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by lexy2014: 2:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

if anyone tells you that they have experience cooking soups with groundnut oil, is that what you now want to take to your wife as evidence that groundnut oil can be used to cook soup?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by LearningCurveCo: 2:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
Okay
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by JuanDeDios: 2:40pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:
That is the key word. People are harming themselves. GROUNDNUT oil indeed!

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by NoSmoking: 2:40pm On Dec 29, 2023
Oil is oil

As if the stomach will reject it

Don't mind her
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:41pm On Dec 29, 2023
For this delicious egusi soup and beautiful brown skin Amala, wink
We used 80% red oil and 20% Vegetable oil.
We believe it's a personal choice.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Indomie Noodles Made In Nigeria Are Safe For Consumption ― NAFDAC / What's Your Favourite Biscuit? / See How To Make The Best And Tastiest Meat Pies At Home (photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.